Michigan State University (MSUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ugh I had the same emotional roller coaster. I haven't heard from this school in a while. I emailed about a month ago and they told me my app was still in review. So heart broken =( lol.
Haha man that was brutal

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, I was the first acceptance call they made for the class of 2021. Sorry I just think that's cool to say :)

Anyway, it was 2 weeks and 4 days. I interviewed the 19 of August and admitted the 6 of Sept.

Congrats on the acceptance. You're IS I imagine?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many interviews the school has had so far?

I think in a few weeks they should be sending out an "update" email with that kind of info, including offers made/paid and # of apps stuff.

But at mine there were 42 people, and the one on the 11 probably had 84 and the one this past Tuesday probably had 84.

But at mine there were 42 people, and the one on the 11 probably had 84 and the one this past Tuesday probably had 84.

They interview 84 on each day?? Wowie i would have thought it was closer to 20-40 :O

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

They interview 84 on each day?? Wowie i would have thought it was closer to 20-40 :O

We only had one interview session on my day and was told there were 42 people. Usually they do an AM and PM session, I assume with 42 each!!

Reactions: 1 users
That "see the sites" email about gave me a heart attack.

Complete 6/30 and still nothing from this school or any school :( I think Im gonna call tomorrow and see if I can get an update.

Last edited:
I found that odd too lol! Apparently there's no registration though right? So we'd just show up?

Hahahaha those were my exact thoughts, i texted my girlfriend saying i got an email from MSUCOM admissions for a see the sight invitation. And she just read "invitation" and "MSUCOM admissions" and got super excited as well lol

Yeah you just show up and they have you sign in right there. I'm working the DMC one so I'll see some of you there!

Darn. See the sites day is the same day as the MSU vs Michigan game and i'll be in EL. At least i'll be "seeing the sites" in some form or another ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Complete 8/27. I had everything but my MCAT submitted in July, but I've seen some people on here who were complete in June yet still waiting to hear back. Does anyone know why this might be? My MCAT is low so I'm assuming they interview the most competitive applicants first..just trying to get anything at this point, I suppose its still relatively early in the cycle.

Darn. See the sites day is the same day as the MSU vs Michigan game and i'll be in EL. At least i'll be "seeing the sites" in some form or another ;)
I didn't realize this . Well at least See the Sites is only until 4 and I'm hoping MSU v UM gets the 3:30 start time

@DrPatriot you weren't joking about those DMC lecture chairs. They were awesome!

Interview invite! Jumped out of bed at a brisk 12:30 PM when I saw the email

For October 18th or 21st :)

Reactions: 3 users
For reference

MI Resident
3.75c/3.6s GPA
504 MCAT
non-trad with a lot of nonsense in my application
Complete 8/12

Reactions: 1 users
For all those accepted: Definitely do an accepted student tour of the sites, especially the DMC. Both of the sites are completely different than EL and it's a good comparison to really understand the type of experience you want.

Loved the DMC, but will likely be putting my deposit down at EL.

Reactions: 4 users
My jealousy of @femmegoblue and the rest of you has paid off. Got an II today!

Reactions: 6 users
As someone who hasn't shadowed a DO, how are you guys going about answering the exposure to osteopathic medicine question. I was originally going to talk about all the research I've done on the principles and the books I've read... but now I'm a little confused about how to proceed since they're not asking "why Do?" but "what exposure do you have?"

I work in an osteopathic teaching hospital as a nurse aide

For all those accepted: Definitely do an accepted student tour of the sites, especially the DMC. Both of the sites are completely different than EL and it's a good comparison to really understand the type of experience you want.

Loved the DMC, but will likely be putting my deposit down at EL.

What did you think were pros and cons of each site? Sorry for the loaded question, just not sure if i'll be able to take off work for one of the tour dates

Hoping to get some OOS love! Stats are a bit weaker than the average matriculant but hoping they evaluate my application as a whole.

@PizzaAndBeer101
Not sure how you go about scheduling this but I did a tour of the sites as an MSU undergraduate 2 years ago through our Pre-SOMA club. The DMC site had a great OMM floor and is nice if you enjoy being close to Detroit sporting events. The Macomb campus is the newest with many Tele-conference screens and the nicest library and computer and anatomy labs. EL is obviously the oldest and I've heard the cadaver/anatomy lab is not the best of the three. The class is larger than the other two (150 vs 50) but of course you have Spartan Stadium and the Breslin Center in your backyard :).

Just for starters :laugh:

June 24 haha but I think they were waiting on marks (genetics and a few other science courses were verified last week)

Congrats!!!!! Did you email them to update them about your grades or do you think they just saw it automatically when you got verified through AACOMAS?

Congrats!!!!! Did you email them to update them about your grades or do you think they just saw it automatically when you got verified through AACOMAS?

Sent in transcripts early September during academic update, then verified! So I assume they got it automatically through that. :)

II! I had written off this school because I'm OOS. I'm leaning towards attending this, but the OOS tuition terrifies me. Does anyone have any insight into how OOS students manage?

Reactions: 3 users
complete 9/1, still nothing :(

Complete 8/31 and also nothing. Don't worry too much. We applied around the peak of the season, so it's expected that we have to wait awhile before hearing anything. Best of luck!

II! I had written off this school because I'm OOS. I'm leaning towards attending this, but the OOS tuition terrifies me. Does anyone have any insight into how OOS students manage?

Congratulations! Mind sharing when you were complete?

Some schools will charge OOS rates for the first year and then in-state rates after that. I'm not sure if MSUCOM does that but it's worth investigating.

Some schools will charge OOS rates for the first year and then in-state rates after that. I'm not sure if MSUCOM does that but it's worth investigating.
I don't think so. I believe you can't count time spent at graduate school towards your residency status. I may be thinking of their MD school though.

Nope, you cannot get in-state status after one year (MSU's guidelines state that you must spend one year in state "not enrolled in any academic courses at any two-year or four-year degree granting institution during this twelve-month period" to qualify for new residency). I know at least one person who lived and worked in Michigan for a year for that purpose. There is also a non-resident student scholarship given to (many?) OOS students that I believe is relatively generous. I do not know the details, however. I also know a few who are paying the entire $80k+ tuition, so that is definitely pretty scary to see.

Anyhow, I agree that it is certainly something you will want to investigate thoroughly. :)

complete 9/1, still nothing :(

I was complete July 15. Just got my II. Don't fret.

I should add I had an MCAT score coming back August 22 so that delayed me I'm sure.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You're gonna kill it, future classmate!

I'm gonna walk into class and announce "@femmegoblue we finally meet where are ya"

I'm not quite sure how to say "femme" but I think whoever this is will know what I'm saying

I'm gonna walk into class and announce "@femmegoblue we finally meet where are ya"

I'm not quite sure how to say "femme" but I think whoever this is will know what I'm saying
LOL I don't know why everyone finds my username so confusing. It's pronounced like "gem" with an f!

There are a lot of grants/full scholarships available in the state of Michigan to students who serve in Michigan in an underserved area for residency plus a couple years after! Some specifically primary care focused, some more broad, but I have some older OOS friends who went along that route and it worked out really well for them!

LOL I don't know why everyone finds my username so confusing. It's pronounced like "gem" with an f!

I was gonna scream "femee go blue" but I guess it's just phem. You'll know regardless ;):highfive::poke::help:

You'll wanna be careful about yelling "Go Blue!" too loudly in the middle of East Lansing ;)

True. People may be equally displeased with someone who goes to bat for both teams:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: