Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You really should take all this in stride with it being SDN culture inflating this. AZCOM is an excellent school. I know many students there currently who love it. They may not have the BEST rotations but they are by no means bad. If there is anything to gripe about its the tuition ;)

QFT. I'm dreading when they release next year's tuition amount...

Members don't see this ad.

That thread is getting out of hand and Orthojoe should've stepped out gracefully. He now claims that AZCOM is a for-profit entity while MWU itself is non-profit, which makes no sense. I know Dr. Goeppinger's salary as it is reported to us each year in an email, among other things.

Arguments get kind of personal on here sometimes and unfortunately, he is getting caught up in it. Like I said, mentioning AZCOM from out of the blue was a terrible idea and is seriously distorting what is bad and what is good about the school.

AZCOM has its problems and certainly, the structure from the places like TCOM, PCOM and MSUCOM will be better. I hope there shouldn't be any surprises to people coming here.

Members don't see this ad :)
After speaking with orthojoe in private and asking him more questions about the school it is now clear to me that his tone is different then his posts. He doesn't resent the school nor the program, he just said that he took his education into his own hands instead of leaving it with the school......like how every medical student should do. He explained to me how the courses prepared him very adequately for his boards and how his board scores were higher than most of the UA MD students when he rotated with them. He said that every school has its downfalls and no school is perfect and that he enjoyed AZCOM.

After speaking with orthojoe in private and asking him more questions about the school it is now clear to me that his tone is different then his posts. He doesn't resent the school nor the program, he just said that he took his education into his own hands instead of leaving it with the school......like how every medical student should do. He explained to me how the courses prepared him very adequately for his boards and how his board scores were higher than most of the UA MD students when he rotated with them. He said that every school has its downfalls and no school is perfect and that he enjoyed AZCOM.

Good call.

Had a really weird interview here recently. Very accusatory and questioning, not at all like the relaxed, conversational interviews others have reported. Left feeling unsettled and still don't feel great about how the interview went. I really liked this school, too. Just wants to give son recent interview feedback. Students were saying there's probably around 100ish seats left.

Updates:

-Ohio is not likely going to be available as a rotation region again anytime soon.
-Modesto is currently unavailable as a rotation region but "they're talking about it." Translation: don't count on it being available.
-School is still trying to get San Jose set up as a region.
-202 people have paid deposits and the school figures they'll accept 20-30 students during this month and another 20-30 from the April/May interviews, then they'll start pulling off of the WL.
-Official lecture recordings for all courses through the school is still an ongoing issue but "they're working on it." Translation: I wouldn't bank on it happening during your first two years of school if you matriculate here as part of 2017. That being said, I will give the school credit in the fact that since I've been a student they went from 0 recorded lectures to at least recording lectures for clinical classes for MS1s and MS2s (after years of prodding by students). I'm sure recordings for all courses will eventually come, but like anything with a bureaucracy, change is generally unnecessarily slow.
-Tuition IS going up by the magical 5% again this year, like I predicted. We haven't been given the exact number, but my post not too long ago is what +5% of current tuition would be. Haven't been told the official reasons for the raise, but I'm sure it'll be a bunch of BS like it is every tuition update letter once the letter is released to us.

Edit: Tuition will be $55,267 for 2013-2014.

Last edited:
Updates:

-Ohio is not likely going to be available as a rotation region again anytime soon.
-Modesto is currently unavailable as a rotation region but "they're talking about it." Translation: don't count on it being available.
-School is still trying to get San Jose set up as a region.
-202 people have paid deposits and the school figures they'll accept 20-30 students during this month and another 20-30 from the April/May interviews, then they'll start pulling off of the WL.
-Official lecture recordings for all courses through the school is still an ongoing issue but "they're working on it." Translation: I wouldn't bank on it happening during your first two years of school if you matriculate here as part of 2017. That being said, I will give the school credit in the fact that since I've been a student they went from 0 recorded lectures to at least recording lectures for clinical classes for MS1s and MS2s (after years of prodding by students). I'm sure recordings for all courses will eventually come, but like anything with a bureaucracy, change is generally unnecessarily slow.
-Tuition IS going up by the magical 5% again this year, like I predicted. We haven't been given the exact number, but my post not too long ago is what +5% of current tuition would be. Haven't been told the official reasons for the raise, but I'm sure it'll be a bunch of BS like it is every tuition update letter once the letter is released to us.

Thanks for the info man. So they are, in fact, video recording some lectures?

That thread is getting out of hand and Orthojoe should've stepped out gracefully. He now claims that AZCOM is a for-profit entity while MWU itself is non-profit, which makes no sense. I know Dr. Goeppinger's salary as it is reported to us each year in an email, among other things.

Arguments get kind of personal on here sometimes and unfortunately, he is getting caught up in it. Like I said, mentioning AZCOM from out of the blue was a terrible idea and is seriously distorting what is bad and what is good about the school.

AZCOM has its problems and certainly, the structure from the places like TCOM, PCOM and MSUCOM will be better. I hope there shouldn't be any surprises to people coming here.
good points flu shot - as I said in the followup posts all I can tell you is what our dean told us about NOT releasing financial records of AZCOM due to the for profit nature.

I really just want everyone to have a phenom medical experience and I feel with AZCOMs structure - it may be different now but from what I hear it isnt -leaving it up to them is a gamble. If I sounded bitter or resentful sorry. Its hard to adequately bring across emotions in a post and they can often be misconstrued. If anyone would like to chat please feel free to PM me. I'll give you my number and we can chat. It sounds weird but I really do want to help. I felt quite alone going through this process.

But yes there are positives and negatives about every school.The thread just happened to be on 3rd year clinicals which I feel AZCOM is poor in.

Would I come and do it again - YES.. my goal is to become an awesome physician and AZCOM allowed the venue to do as such. Im sure flusho, you will become the same.

Oh and as to having low posts.. its because I created a new name after I matched in ortho. I've being on SDN for 4 years.

Last edited:
good points flu shot - as I said in the followup posts all I can tell you is what our dean told us about NOT releasing financial records of AZCOM due to the for profit nature.

I really just want everyone to have a phenom medical experience and I feel with AZCOMs structure - it may be different now but from what I hear it isnt -leaving it up to them is a gamble. If I sounded bitter or resentful sorry. Its hard to adequately bring across emotions in a post and they can often be misconstrued. If anyone would like to chat please feel free to PM me. I'll give you my number and we can chat. It sounds weird but I really do want to help. I felt quite alone going through this process.

But yes there are positives and negatives about every school.The thread just happened to be on 3rd year clinicals which I feel AZCOM is poor in.

Would I come and do it again - YES.. my goal is to become an awesome physician and AZCOM allowed the venue to do as such. Im sure flusho, you will become the same.

Oh and as to having low posts.. its because I created a new name after I matched in ortho. I've being on SDN for 4 years.

I won't go into the for-profit nature of our school since if by for profit you mean something on the level of RVU, but I understand the general concern. The rising tuition and the way they spend it is definitely concerning.

I really liked your initial posts and thought they spelled things out clearly. I didn't mean to bite anything off and if it come off that way, I apologize too. The thing is for SDN, people tend not to take context into account well or at all sometimes. Bringing up AZCOM out of nowhere is one thing but continuing after our initial statements really didn't help.

These threads are really common and no doubt will continue, so I didn't see the point quickly after we both posted. I'm glad things worked out great for you but I doubt people will get the message from that thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received a WL letter for an interview. I really am excited to hear more from AZCOM, but my biggest concern is the financial side. How does the school work with hard financial situations? I will be paying for school out of my pocket, and my family is in no position to help me.

Thanks for the info man. So they are, in fact, video recording some lectures?

They currently record clinical lectures (ICM, OMM; not sure about Human Behavior or medical jurisprudence). ICM they usually try to make available the day of the lectures but OMM was only releasing them a week before the midterm or final (this may have changed since I had it, I don't know).

Check your portals if you've interviewed here recently. Accepted today via portal, interviewed 3/4.

Check your portals if you've interviewed here recently. Accepted today via portal, interviewed 3/4.

Just to confirm where to check status.

Are you logging in and clicking the link for "accepted student checklist"? Mine says "this is available to accepted students". Is this where I will see a status change?

Thanks.

Just to confirm where to check status.

Are you logging in and clicking the link for "accepted student checklist"? Mine says "this is available to accepted students". Is this where I will see a status change?

Thanks.

If you have the checklist you're accepted. If you don't, then you're waitlisted or rejected. However, in previous months it takes AZCOM a day or two to input everyone so don't jump to conclusions yet!

Quick question for accepted students--when do you find out your 3rd/4th year placement? Just curious on this one, bc it will affect my decision on where to attend. Thanks!

If you have the checklist you're accepted. If you don't, then you're waitlisted or rejected. However, in previous months it takes AZCOM a day or two to input everyone so don't jump to conclusions yet!

So...this is strange but I just called the adcom and they said that the committee is not meeting until tomorrow and to expect answers after that...are you sure you had checked previously?

Sent from phone

So...this is strange but I just called the adcom and they said that the committee is not meeting until tomorrow and to expect answers after that...are you sure you had checked previously?

Sent from phone

I know this thread is huge but back when I interviewed in the fall the same thing happened. Someone posted that they got accepted and then admissions claimed they didn't meet yet. I think it was decided that they only got through some people and weren't finished yet. I don't know why they tell you they haven't met, but they only have for some people. That should make u feel better because they may not have gotten to your file yet :)

Quick question for accepted students--when do you find out your 3rd/4th year placement? Just curious on this one, bc it will affect my decision on where to attend. Thanks!

I got an email about picking rotation sites the same day my online status changed to accepted. I ranked the sites by preference and they emailed my assigned site 1 week later. This was in January so it might take a bit longer now.

I know this thread is huge but back when I interviewed in the fall the same thing happened. Someone posted that they got accepted and then admissions claimed they didn't meet yet. I think it was decided that they only got through some people and weren't finished yet. I don't know why they tell you they haven't met, but they only have for some people. That should make u feel better because they may not have gotten to your file yet :)

You were correct! Accepted student checklist. This am!

I interviewed on 3/11 and my status said accepted this morning too! Yeay

Congrats!! :)

Thank you! This was my first acceptance and oddly enough my only DO program, I loved this program so much and was so impressed by the interview I will take it over a number of MD programs!

Accepted today. Interviewed 3/11. Also invited to interview at TUN today, but decided it's not worth it because the interview is after the deposit deadline. Plus I really liked AZCOM so now I just wait for my state school's decision.

hey randomusername,

I remember you posted that 2012 match data, do you by chance have 2013?

Hello, I was accepted a few days ago and called up the school to ask about selecting rotation sites. The coordinator said that for recently accepted students the email would be sent out in a couple weeks. However, he did say that many of the popular sites are full.

Can anyone from currently attending speak to the ability and frequency to shuffle these assigned sites or trade with fellow students?

As promised:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204556364691725990633.0004d6f81fe92abe28175&msa=0

Remember, the map is not every student in the class because it's an unofficial list and not everybody participates. An official list from the school has been promised, but they generally drag their rears on making it available to us.

Off the top of my head, a couple of matches that people are likely interested in hearing about that aren't on the list are an ENT match in NJ (not sure what program) and another EM match at Maricopa in Arizona.

Last edited:
already accepted to azcom

MWU sends me

St5ncDd.png

/coolstorybro

Chiddler I got the same thing! Lol. Sooo was my app one they took pity on? So much pity that they already accepted me I guess! Haha

As promised:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=204556364691725990633.0004d6f81fe92abe28175&msa=0

Remember, the map is not every student in the class because it's an unofficial list and not everybody participates. An official list from the school has been promised, but they generally drag their rears on making it available to us.

Off the top of my head, a couple of matches that people are likely interested in hearing about that aren't on the list are an ENT match in NJ (not sure what program) and another EM match at Maricopa in Arizona.

You rock, Random.

already accepted to azcom

MWU sends me

St5ncDd.png

/coolstorybro

Chiddler I got the same thing! Lol. Sooo was my app one they took pity on? So much pity that they already accepted me I guess! Haha

I didn't get it. Now that I think about it, probably because I took the MCAT earlier.

Hallowman I am definitely not an expert but I know I am in the last rounds of interviews that are in May. So there still might be a few more interview invites out there to be sent.

Hey guys, any idea how many AZCOM graduates each year are not matched into a residency program?

How do you think the merging of the two match systems will affect match rates?

Also, how do AZCOM's overall match rates compare to other DO programs?

Hey guys, any idea how many AZCOM graduates each year are not matched into a residency program?

How do you think the merging of the two match systems will affect match rates?

Also, how do AZCOM's overall match rates compare to other DO programs?

Depends on the year. This year there were 30 scrambles (what I gathered from somebody in clin ed was that many of them were shooting for something fairly competitive while most of the rest just weren't competitive applicants academically) which, while I don't remember the exact number of scrambles from any recent years, was a bit high for us (this was also the first class of 250 from AZCOM, so who knows if/how that factored into it).

You'll probably have better luck with speculation about that in the general forums. My own thoughts are that, in general, those who successfully gun for competitive fields are going to do so regardless of the match situation (if anything, they may fare better because they can apply to both traditionally MD or DO programs without withdrawing from one or the other out of fear of not matching anywhere/giving up on a shot at matching to their dream place) and those who are aiming for something much less competitive aren't really going to be all that affected because region seems to play a pretty large role/those fields are already pretty unbiased towards DOs in most regions. Ultimately, it still has to happen and, then, only time will tell.

Since it's not all that easy to come up with honest answers regarding match rates (if a school releases information it's generally going to be favorable information for the school, are they including/excluding scramble "matches," etc), who really knows...

Depends on the year. This year there were 30 scrambles (what I gathered from somebody in clin ed was that many of them were shooting for something fairly competitive while most of the rest just weren't competitive applicants academically) which, while I don't remember the exact number of scrambles from any recent years, was a bit high for us (this was also the first class of 250 from AZCOM, so who knows if/how that factored into it).

I'm guessing all of those scrambled (I guess its SOAPed now) people found a spot. Its rough, but the good thing about being an AMG, is that most of the percentage who don't match outright will at least find somewhere to work.

You'll probably have better luck with speculation about that in the general forums. My own thoughts are that, in general, those who successfully gun for competitive fields are going to do so regardless of the match situation (if anything, they may fare better because they can apply to both traditionally MD or DO programs without withdrawing from one or the other out of fear of not matching anywhere/giving up on a shot at matching to their dream place) and those who are aiming for something much less competitive aren't really going to be all that affected because region seems to play a pretty large role/those fields are already pretty unbiased towards DOs in most regions. Ultimately, it still has to happen and, then, only time will tell.

Since it's not all that easy to come up with honest answers regarding match rates (if a school releases information it's generally going to be favorable information for the school, are they including/excluding scramble "matches," etc), who really knows...

Yeah, its all speculation, and like you said for most people (including MDs, etc) location is the biggest issue they consider.

I think the biggest question will be how the match was in terms of rank number. Like did most of the students from AZCOM get one of their top 3 choices? Ultimately, I don't know if that info is released for schools, but if it was, that would be a good way of analyzing school-specific matches.

Has anyone from Midwestern matched into either allopathic or osteopathic Derm?