Midwestern University Arizona (AZCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping to the top for the start of the DO season!

With CCOM releasing secondaries, hopefully AZCOM will follow suit soon.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to both CCOM and AZCOM, and have received the CCOM secondary, but since this is more of a general secondaries question I figured I could post it here. I am a reapplicant who didn't have much luck with MD schools last year and I'm wondering if my secondaries had anything to do with it. For questions like "why do you want to go here" I pretty much ass-kissed about how great of a school every school is and tried to explain how I fit in with their mission etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do differently this year? I feel like there isn't much of a hidden agenda with a question like this, I think they actually want to know why we want to go to their school and how we would contribute, but I would love to hear other ideas.

What about the "why should we accept you" question? It sounds like they want to hear what's in AACOMAS and letters of recommendation and stuff in our own words. Does anyone approach this question differently?

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to both CCOM and AZCOM, and have received the CCOM secondary, but since this is more of a general secondaries question I figured I could post it here. I am a reapplicant who didn't have much luck with MD schools last year and I'm wondering if my secondaries had anything to do with it. For questions like "why do you want to go here" I pretty much ass-kissed about how great of a school every school is and tried to explain how I fit in with their mission etc. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I could do differently this year? I feel like there isn't much of a hidden agenda with a question like this, I think they actually want to know why we want to go to their school and how we would contribute, but I would love to hear other ideas.

What about the "why should we accept you" question? It sounds like they want to hear what's in AACOMAS and letters of recommendation and stuff in our own words. Does anyone approach this question differently?

I think the best advice I could give you is to personalize your answers as much as possible. Its good to express your fit into their mission to show that you have attempted to research their school, but make sure it isn't an answer that you could imagine anyone else writing. How do these schools personally fit your interests? I seemed to get an impression that CCOM prides itself in its strong reputation, rotation sites and the performance of its students (during their interview presentations they repeated this over and over again). Maybe you are interested in a competitive specialty and want to take advantage of the opportunities a prestigious DO school can provide? Or you want the best education and rotations possible despite the price?

As for the "why should we accept you question", I feel that it is a great opportunity to present yourself in a less quantifiable manner. Regurgitating your application will have little benefit here, but may be effective if you are trying to use your experience to convey something about you that is not present in other parts of your application. Personally, I mentioned my + years of research, + years teaching, experience as an MA and all this other stuff to remind them of my application, but then mentioned how I am very interested in academics as a physician and how I spent much time exploring different possible career routes. I became more mature and convinced of my desire to enter medical school blah blah.

Bad examples but I hope you catch my drift. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 4 users
When I look at my application status, it only shows only one of my three non physician LOR. (it shows the name and title under recommendation). Does that mean they will only look at that one and not the other two in my application?

Just received secondary as well

Good luck to everyone applying here and CCOM. 60K tuition per year is outrageous and I'm not paying it.

Anyone have any insight into research opportunities at AZCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember from last cycle, we just contact AZCOM's admissions email to notify them of our fee waivers before we submit right?

Reactions: 1 user
If I remember from last cycle, we just contact AZCOM's admissions email to notify them of our fee waivers before we submit right?
The website says their fee is unwaivable? I am not sure if the fee waiver is an exception or not. If you email them please let me know!

I received my secondary as well. Does that mean the school has received the primary aacomas app?

Ok good, then I need to figure out why some of my other DO schools keep saying they haven't received my primary app.
How do you know if they received it or not? I am starting to worry as I got AZCOM and CCOM secondaries but none of the others that seem to be sent out..

How do you know if they received it or not? I am starting to worry as I got AZCOM and CCOM secondaries but none of the others that seem to be sent out..

I just called the school directly to find out.

I have heard from 5 of the 6 schools I have applied to. I am thinking the last one isn't processing apps yet.

It shouldn't take very long after your primaries are verified for them to get access to it. I added CCOM to my list yesterday and received the secondary invite today.

And - yes, AZCOM and CCOM will waive the secondary fees if you qualified for a fee waiver. They both waived mine today. Just send an email to the admissions email address with a copy of your AACOMAS waiver notification and ID.

It shouldn't take very long after your primaries are verified for them to get access to it. I added CCOM to my list yesterday and received the secondary invite today.

And - yes, AZCOM and CCOM will waive the secondary fees if you qualified for a fee waiver. They both waived mine today. Just send an email to the admissions email address with a copy of your AACOMAS waiver notification and ID.

Did you send them an email before you submit your secondary? Or can I just email them in advance? Thanks!

Did you send them an email before you submit your secondary? Or can I just email them in advance? Thanks!

You can and should email them to waive your fees soon while they're not flooded with applications. The longer you wait the slower their response time will be.

After some digging around the internets, I have some questions I'm hoping current students could shed some light on.

Rotations - I cannot seem to find any list on the website, does one exist? Also, are 3rd year rotations still limited to AZ?

COMLEX / USMLE - Does the school offer any form of review or time for it?

PBL / small groups - Are there many chances for smaller group-work vs lecture style?

Early clinicals - Are there many chances for clinical experiences in 1st and 2nd years?

Thanks! I've seen these questions answered before, but not in a few years. I'm wondering if there have been any changes :)

Well I turned in my secondary a while ago, but they dont have my physician letter checked off just yet. Which is weird because they have my science letter checked off and both of them are in AACOMAS?o_O

After some digging around the internets, I have some questions I'm hoping current students could shed some light on.

Rotations - I cannot seem to find any list on the website, does one exist? Also, are 3rd year rotations still limited to AZ?

COMLEX / USMLE - Does the school offer any form of review or time for it?

PBL / small groups - Are there many chances for smaller group-work vs lecture style?

Early clinicals - Are there many chances for clinical experiences in 1st and 2nd years?

Thanks! I've seen these questions answered before, but not in a few years. I'm wondering if there have been any changes :)

1.) No you can do rotations in Arizona (Phoenix, Tucson and Prescott), California (LA, San Diego and Madesto), and Chicago.
2.) Yes 4 weeks - 5 weeks after MS 2 and 4-5 weeks after MS 3 for step 2.
3.) Mostly lecture with some small groups.
4.)Yes, we are an extremely active school as far as volunteering goes. There are HOME clinics which is our student run free clinic along with several opportunities to do physicals for student athletes and volunteer at races for medical support.

Feel free to PM more questions, I just graduated from AZCOM and will answer most questions in here or privately.

Good luck with your applications!

Reactions: 1 users
1.) No you can do rotations in Arizona (Phoenix, Tucson and Prescott), California (LA, San Diego and Madesto), and Chicago.
2.) Yes 4 weeks - 5 weeks after MS 2 and 4-5 weeks after MS 3 for step 2.
3.) Mostly lecture with some small groups.
4.)Yes, we are an extremely active school as far as volunteering goes. There are HOME clinics which is our student run free clinic along with several opportunities to do physicals for student athletes and volunteer at races for medical support.

Feel free to PM more questions, I just graduated from AZCOM and will answer most questions in here or privately.

Good luck with your applications!

Thanks for your response! Another question:

I've heard/read that AZCOM has a high specialty match, and as someone who is interested in surgical specialization, how would you say the opportunities for surgical rotations / involvement / preparedness stack up?

Does anyone have their MCAT checked off yet?

I am assuming they download it from the primary (my letters are complete).

Does anyone have their MCAT checked off yet?

I am assuming they download it from the primary (my letters are complete).
Yes, it took 2 days after my letters were checked off I believe .

Thanks for your response! Another question:

I've heard/read that AZCOM has a high specialty match, and as someone who is interested in surgical specialization, how would you say the opportunities for surgical rotations / involvement / preparedness stack up?

Tbh, I think they are great. Everyone I know who wanted to do a surgical sub or gen surg, matched to their desired specialty. Off the top of my head, I can think of 2 optho (MD and DO), ENT (DO), many ortho (all DO), and many gen surg (which is getting more competitive, so mostly DO's into catagorical surgery spots some into MD prelim spots). I was interested in surg for a bit, and we have great rotations with surgical residencies (Banner & Maricopa Medical Center). This can always change, but while I was at AZCOM I thought they prepared us well for surgery. Our chair did just step down/retire, and they did hire 2 new faculty, that's why I say things can change. In the past there has been a special surgery elective to be taken at the end of MS2, I am not sure if this will still be there but it really didn't matter whether or not you took it and how well you did on rotations.

After I submitted my secondary I got an email confirming submission "this completes your online application submission". If my LORs were connected to my AACOMAS app, is there anything else I need to do? Should I confirm with them?

For those who have already submitted their secondary... Does the 1500 characters include spaces? Because if so there's gunna be a lot of slicin and dicin in the next few days :meh:

For those who have already submitted their secondary... Does the 1500 characters include spaces? Because if so there's gunna be a lot of slicin and dicin in the next few days :meh:
break out that scalpel, my friend.

Anyone else having issues with some of their LORs from amcomas being shown as not received on the secondary application?

Could someone post the secondary for those of us who haven't received it yet?

Could someone post the secondary for those of us who haven't received it yet?
Here you go man,

Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 characters)

Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 characters)

Here you go man,

Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 characters)

Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 characters)
Thanks man

For those who have had their letters sent through AACOMAS from interfolio, virtual evals or as a committee packet from your undergrad, is your physician letter not checked off? I contacted admissions the other day and Mike emailed me back saying he has all five of my letters (including the DO letter), but it isn't marked on my checklist...

Submitted and all check boxes green!

Any idea how fast they start reviewing and giving responses?

Submitted and all check boxes green!

Any idea how fast they start reviewing and giving responses?

With your MCAT score, you might have an acceptance response before your interview.

Haha, if only - don't think it works like that though. :cat:

yea... haha.

Im just curious, how did you study for the MCAT?

I probably wont be taking it again, just curious how you blasted it so hard.

Im just curious, how did you study for the MCAT?

I was in a post-bac program, did 1/3 of all TBR problems, took all AAMC exams, and listed to EK audio osmosis. Nothing special really; I studied part-time (15 hours a week) for a few months, then about 25 hours a week for the last three weeks. It was a combination of luck (scored higher than any practice exam) and motivation; I really needed to outshine my poor undergrad.

You did more than fine though - so I wouldn't worry.

For those who have had their letters sent through AACOMAS from interfolio, virtual evals or as a committee packet from your undergrad, is your physician letter not checked off? I contacted admissions the other day and Mike emailed me back saying he has all five of my letters (including the DO letter), but it isn't marked on my checklist...

My professors' LORs were sent a while back but still not checked off. It's weird though cause CCOM has those checked as received.

My professors' LORs were sent a while back but still not checked off. It's weird though cause CCOM has those checked as received.

I was marked as complete today. I had mine sent through AACOMAS and emailed admissions since I hadn't been marked complete. I would contact them and see what they have to say!

Just got my secondary! For those of you who also applied to CCOM, did you use the same essay for the "Why should AZCOM accept you into this year's class?" question?