Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Withdrawing because it is too expensive?
I wasn't a fan of the price tag, but I personally withdrew my app because I was accepted to another institution I prefer. I did enjoy the experience at Midwestern, though, and thought it was a really impressive school with great faculty and students.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't a fan of the price tag, but I personally withdrew my app because I was accepted to another institution I prefer. I did enjoy the experience at Midwestern, though, and thought it was a really impressive school with great faculty and students.

Likewise. I really liked Midwestern and would have no qualms about attending (other than the price, but that's sort of the case with most private schools). I was fortunate enough to be accepted to a school much closer to home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know a rough estimate of how many class seats they've filled?
No idea, though I think the committee has only met once. They started interviewing in September, and on our Oct 2 interview date they told us we wouldn't hear anything until the very end of October because the committee only meets one a month to make decisions. So... probably not a huge chunk of the seats just yet...

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else get a rejection letter in the mail this week?

So...is the tuition worth it here? I got accepted into three schools that cost half of this school...I have a hard choice to make.

In case anyone is trying to move up a later interview date- I'm withdrawing from my Nov 6 interview today

Last edited:
Expenses are definitely an important aspect to look at when choosing schools, but ccom shines when it comes to its rotations, facilities, faculty, and prestige. From the ccom alumni I spoke to, ccom's name will take you far in terms of residencies and job positions especially in the Midwest

Will the name really take me that far? I'm going to pay $120k, plus interest for this school over other schools. I don't want to have the cost blow up in my face when I finally become a physician and owe another $200k...

I want to go to this school, but is it worth $200k more?

yeah, i don't know....
Does anyone know why CCOM doesn't provide finaid or scholarships? Seems like they have a strong alumni base.........

They discussed financial aid and institutional scholarships at the interview. I was told that a lot of the students don't apply /are unaware of the scholarships available to them so the competition is actually not horrendous. Either way, its going to be expensive. I wouldn't attend here counting on receiving either one.

https://www.midwestern.edu/programs-and-admission/student-financial-services/policies.html

guys i'm so impatient i just want to see my portal change

ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec.gif

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
On October 2nd they said they will meet last Friday of October and we will know first week of November

Reactions: 1 users
Good luck to everyone applying! :cat:

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:

2. Why do you believe CCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking? (1500 chars)

3. Why should CCOM accept you into this year's class? (1500 chars)

4. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:
  • Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
  • Employment History
  • Medically related work and volunteer experiences
  • College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Hobbies and nonacademic interests
Have to choose one to respond or need to respond 2 and 3 ?

Have to choose one to respond or need to respond 2 and 3 ?
Have to respond to all of them.
They are different questions.
2. Asking why do you want to go to CCOM.
3. Asking what makes you a good candidate that CCOM should consider accepting you.

Reactions: 1 users
Has CCOM rejected people pre-interview yet?

Cancelled my interview and withdrew my application today. Good luck everyone :)

View from the Anatomy Lab

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    172.4 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: 2 users
I'm submitting my secondary here this week. Stats are 505 MCAT 130/122/127/126, cGPA: 3.39, sGPA: 3.50, part-time while working grad GPA: 3.2., 2.5yrs undergrad research and 4 years in top 5 biopharma. I'm curious what my chances are at this school

I'm submitting my secondary here this week. Stats are 505 MCAT 130/122/127/126, cGPA: 3.39, sGPA: 3.50, part-time while working grad GPA: 3.2., 2.5yrs undergrad research and 4 years in top 5 biopharma. I'm curious what my chances are at this school

Apply and find out... But your stats are slightly lower than CCOM averages. Grad GPA is a slight concern.

Also, it isn't early in the application process anymore. All we can tell you is to apply and see what happens. Medical school process is kind of a crapshoot.

Apply and find out... But your stats are slightly lower than CCOM averages. Grad GPA is a slight concern.

Also, it isn't early in the application process anymore. All we can tell you is to apply and see what happens. Medical school process is kind of a crapshoot.
The grad gpa only reflects 3 classes. After that I put myself on a leave of absence to pursue medical school. I have no intention of finishing the Mol bio masters.

The grad gpa only reflects 3 classes. After that I put myself on a leave of absence to pursue medical school. I have no intention of finishing the Mol bio masters.

From what I understand med schools tend to frown upon dropping out graduate programs without finishing them. It would be one thing if you were accepted during the program and didn't finish but to drop it in order to apply doesn't look very good. At least that's what I have heard.

From what I understand med schools tend to frown upon dropping out graduate programs without finishing them. It would be one thing if you were accepted during the program and didn't finish but to drop it in order to apply doesn't look very good. At least that's what I have heard.

This is especially true. It reflects that an applicant may change mind quickly. What if this happens during med school? It also makes the school's statistics worse if this happens.

Even just dropping it in general looks bad. However, once accepted it won't really matter unless they specifically state you have to finish your degree before matriculation.

I would try to find an excuse that sounds better than dropping out to apply for medical school if you are granted an interview.

Last edited:
This is especially true. It reflects that an applicant may change mind quickly. What if this happens during med school? It also makes the school's statistics worse if this happens.

Even just dropping it in general looks bad. However, once accepted it won't really matter unless they specifically state you have to finish your degree before matriculation.

I would try to find an excuse that sounds better than dropping out to apply for medical school if you are granted an interview.

The company was paying for 1 class/semester so it made sense to take advantage of it. It no longer is in line with my long term goals and there was little visible value to my position at work.

The company was paying for 1 class/semester so it made sense to take advantage of it. It no longer is in line with my long term goals and there was little visible value to my position at work.

In any case I would recommend applying to other DO schools as a backup plan. CCOM is one of the hardest, if not the hardest DO school to get an acceptance.

At my interview most applicants had very high stats with MD interviews lining up.

So if you actually applied and enrolled in a Masters program then your transcript probably says that and that it was in progress. So if you do get interviews just make sure to explain what the deal is if you have a chance.

Does anyone know if they have done pre-interview rejections here?

While the app cycle is a holistic one it seems like ccom is one of the do schools that emphasize higher Mcat scores, so I would definitely have many backup plans.

That being said, you seem to have pretty exceptional experience so that might pull you in
While CCOM may emphasize a higher MCAT score, I think that GPA plays a bigger role, if we are strictly looking at statistics. =) Speaking from experience. I had below average MCAT score.

While CCOM may emphasize a higher MCAT score, I think that GPA plays a bigger role, if we are strictly looking at statistics. =) Speaking from experience. I had below average MCAT score.

ooh yeah i agree
I was just speaking generally in comparison to other other DO schools- CCOM has highest MCAT average among DO schools

I had a below average GPA and was accepted...so I don't believe GPA plays a bigger role. I think as long as you have one of them higher than average and have lots of EC's they will be interested.

GPA isn't a good indicator and it is most likely skewed, because of grade replacements and the difficulty level variations between majors or amount of science classes taken and also difficulty level between colleges. MCAT cannot be skewed and is the standardized exam that every applicant takes across the board.

I could easily take just intro level classes and get a high sGPA, but I chose to take many graduate level science classes during my undergrad that it lowered my sGPA a bit.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I was wondering how long did it take people to get interview upon submitting their secondary? I submitted mine beginning of August and I still have not heard back (2.5 months later)? Does it usually take this long?

Thanks!

Hey guys,

I was wondering how long did it take people to get interview upon submitting their secondary? I submitted mine beginning of August and I still have not heard back (2.5 months later)? Does it usually take this long?

Thanks!

I submitted mine the first week of July and got an interview invite the first week of August. For me, it took a month to receive that II.

It may mean that they just put you on hold.

I submitted mine the first week of July and got an interview invite the first week of August. For me, it took a month to receive that II.

It may mean that they just put you on hold.

Would they tell me that I am on hold or not? I called them and they said that they are still reviewing which sounded a bit off 2.5 months later...

Hey guys,

Thanks!
I was complete 7/23 and didn't get a II until 9/24

cGPA 3.3 sGPA 3.4 MCAT 32 (10/10/12), 3 publications / ton of shadowing, research, volunteer activities (clinical and non/clinical)

The only thing I can see is that your cGPA and sGPA are below their averages. Perhaps they've put you on hold. CCOM is the hardest DO school to get accepted to of all the DO schools.

The only thing I can see is that your cGPA and sGPA are below their averages. Perhaps they've put you on hold. CCOM is the hardest DO school to get accepted to of all the DO schools.

Ya i know :/

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it.

Ya i know :/

Thanks for your input! I really appreciate it.

Then again, who knows? I got an acceptance here with a 3.7 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, and 31 MCAT...also with lots of research experience, publications, and some clinical experience.

I believe my stats are about on par with yours.

I was complete 7/23 and didn't get a II until 9/24

Oh wow so it might
Then again, who knows? I got an acceptance here with a 3.7 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, and 31 MCAT...also with lots of research experience, publications, and some clinical experience.

I believe my stats are about on par with yours.

I'm pretty sure your right with my GPA potentially holding me back. I guess will wait and see. Your stats are solid! Congrats on your acceptance!

I'm pretty sure your right with my GPA potentially holding me back. I guess will wait and see. Your stats are solid! Congrats on your acceptance!

Thank you, but the tuition of this school is really causing me to pause. Thank god the deposit isn't due until mid-December. I absolutely loved the school, campus, location, and opportunities, but can't justify the high price tag of $63k a year...I've also gotten into schools that have tuition fees less than half of this school, but they're not as established or also new schools.

If money wasn't a factor, I would attend this school in a heartbeat. I'm still holding on for as long as I can to see if my state school will accept me.

Thank you, but the tuition of this school is really causing me to pause. Thank god the deposit isn't due until mid-December. I absolutely loved the school, campus, location, and opportunities, but can't justify the high price tag of $63k a year...I've also gotten into schools that have tuition fees less than half of this school, but they're not as established or also new schools.

If money wasn't a factor, I would attend this school in a heartbeat. I'm still holding on for as long as I can to see if my state school will accept me.

Did you interview at NSU as well? which would you choose NSU or CCOM? Ya 63K is definitely a lot.

Did you interview at NSU as well? which would you choose NSU or CCOM? Ya 63K is definitely a lot.

I haven't gotten an II from Nova or PCOM yet...so not sure why I was passed. I don't have much ties to Florida.