Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
interviewing here tmmrw. At the hotel rn. If anyone wants to chill PM me.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED THIS MORNING!!!!! Interviewed 10/02, stats cGPA 3.88/sGPA 3.72/30. LEMME JUST SAY THIS HAS BEEN THE LONGEST MONTH OF MY LIFE OH MY GAH

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
ACCEPTED THIS MORNING!!!!! Interviewed 10/02, stats cGPA 3.88/sGPA 3.72/31. LEMME JUST SAY THIS HAS BEEN THE LONGEST MONTH OF MY LIFE OH MY GAH
Congrats!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted today also! Interviewed 10/5. Tuition and COL is really bugging me out though.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats to everyone that got accepted today!! Still hoping to get an II soon!

Accepted this morning! Interviewed 10/20

Last edited:
I just became complete yesterday, am I on the late side of things?

Yes you are but keep going! I was completely like August but really wasn't complete until January because they had to wait for my MCAT. I got a really late interview and got in. So there is hope. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes you are but keep going! I was completely like August but really wasn't complete until January because they had to wait for my MCAT. I got a really late interview and got in. So there is hope. Good luck!

Thanks for the reassurance! There was a huge delay in my letters so I'm hoping to get some love here

Reactions: 2 users
I'm right there with you, I just got the secondary invite this morning and I'm doing my best to get it knocked out ASAP! I'm nearly finished, but I want to give it a night's rest and a fresh pair of eyes before reading through it one more time and submitting.

Any M1s or M2s lurking here with words of wisdom about paying for CCOM and why the tuition is so high? This is my top choice but dat price tag tho...

I'm essentially ruling out HPSP because frankly the idea of skill atrophy is horrible and I think I know in my heart I'd only be doing it for the money, which is, obviously, a very bad reason to do it, no matter how often my dad brings it up to me. I'm not sure whether I want to do a primary care specialty or not (kind of thinking geriatrics vs. palliative care vs. emergency med at this point, which will likely change) so I'm not sure that the NHSC is a good commitment either. If only they repaid EM like they do for OB/GYN.... sigh. I'm aware there are some Midwestern scholarship programs but a) you can't get any until after you're already starting first year and b) they don't seem to go to a ton of students. Again, any CCOM current students lurking, please share your experiences and insights - I would love to hear them, thanks!!

Any M1s or M2s lurking here with words of wisdom about paying for CCOM and why the tuition is so high? This is my top choice but dat price tag tho...

I'm essentially ruling out HPSP because frankly the idea of skill atrophy is horrible and I think I know in my heart I'd only be doing it for the money, which is, obviously, a very bad reason to do it, no matter how often my dad brings it up to me. I'm not sure whether I want to do a primary care specialty or not (kind of thinking geriatrics vs. palliative care vs. emergency med at this point, which will likely change) so I'm not sure that the NHSC is a good commitment either. If only they repaid EM like they do for OB/GYN.... sigh. I'm aware there are some Midwestern scholarship programs but a) you can't get any until after you're already starting first year and b) they don't seem to go to a ton of students. Again, any CCOM current students lurking, please share your experiences and insights - I would love to hear them, thanks!!

MS1 here. It's expensive, no way around that unfortunately :( Most people are taking out loans for majority unless they have some parental assistance. For those from the area, some people live with parents to save money on rent. For me, the price tag is worth it to be able to stay in Chicago, but for others that might not be true. I agree that it doesn't sound like HPSP or NHSC would be a great fit for you (they weren't for me for basically the same reasons). Sorry this isn't very helpful, but the bottom line is that you need to weigh your options and your priorities and see what the best choice is for you. I can't blame anyone who chooses not to come here based on tuition, all I can say is that I'm happy with my choice so far. Congrats on your acceptance, wishing you luck with your decision!

@ananasmed Yeah I mean my family is from Naperville so I could live at home for a year... I might go insane if I do more than that but I'm sure I could save that way for a little while. I think no matter what I'll probably end up coming here unless I got some sort of ridiculous scholarship offer from somewhere else which, realistically, won't happen lol. All of my fave docs that I work with went here and clearly the students who go there, such as yourself, are happy!!! Are you going after any scholarships at all? Do you know anybody who has been successful with that?

Is it safe to assume we will be receiving a rejection letter post interview if we interviewed late October and have not heard back? Has anyone from the 26th or 27th heard back yet?

Is it safe to assume we will be receiving a rejection letter post interview if we interviewed late October and have not heard back? Has anyone from the 26th or 27th heard back yet?
From what I understand, if you aren't yet rejected, you will be continually reviewed each time they meet to hand out acceptances.

dude its still october.....

Are there any current students that know if CCOM's elective rotations are secured through hospital partnering or is it up to the student to find them?

dude its still october.....
Yes but they told us that those applicants would be discussed at this months adcom meeting (which I'm assuming was on Thursday) and looking at last years thread, if you don't receive an acceptance, you're waiting for a snail mail rejection letter. I haven't seen anyone address that this year though so I wasn't sure if that policy had changed.

It is expensive, but I did not consider any other school because CCOM is really where I wanted to go. My only advice is to weigh your options, and utimately decide based on where you want to go because you want to go there and that you will thrive there. What I am trying to say is dont pick a school that is cheaper, but you hate it there.

Yes but they told us that those applicants would be discussed at this months adcom meeting (which I'm assuming was on Thursday) and looking at last years thread, if you don't receive an acceptance, you're waiting for a snail mail rejection letter. I haven't seen anyone address that this year though so I wasn't sure if that policy had changed.

It's possible they haven't reviewed students who interviewed on your day since you were just before the meeting, but unfortunately you could be right in thinking that you were reviewed. If your portal hasn't changed (and you indeed have been reviewed at the meeting) then you should look for a waitlist or rejection letter in the mail.

To give people an idea, I interviewed on Sept. 28, and got an acceptance on Oct. 2...so I only waited 4 days for them to get back to me.

Just declined my acceptance here.
Interviewed 10/23, OOS LizzyM ~70
Hope the spot goes to one of you guys! :)

To give people an idea, I interviewed on Sept. 28, and got an acceptance on Oct. 2...so I only waited 4 days for them to get back to me.

You lucked out with an interview date perfectly timed before an adcom meeting! Last year I had to wait a really really long month ;)

You lucked out with an interview date perfectly timed before an adcom meeting! Last year I had to wait a really really long month ;)
Haha I lucked out too. Interviewed on a Monday, got the acceptance on Thursday. :cool:

Haha I lucked out too. Interviewed on a Monday, got the acceptance on Thursday. :cool:
This last Monday/Thursday?

It's possible they haven't reviewed students who interviewed on your day since you were just before the meeting, but unfortunately you could be right in thinking that you were reviewed. If your portal hasn't changed (and you indeed have been reviewed at the meeting) then you should look for a waitlist or rejection letter in the mail.

That's what I figured! Thanks. Id still love to hear if anyone on this board has been accepted from earlier this week! Waiting for snail mail is not fun ha.

Does anyone know how long we can wait before deciding on an interview date?

II this morning! Can anyone give insight on what interview day is like?

Appreciate it! just took a look. Which airport do you recommend flying into? I heard Midway and O'Hare are both about the same distance to CCOM area
It's really not much of a difference. There are more flights out of O'Hare but security at Midway is faster. Go with what's cheaper.

Appreciate it! just took a look. Which airport do you recommend flying into? I heard Midway and O'Hare are both about the same distance to CCOM area

I flew to Midway, since I used Southwest Airlines, and they ONLY fly to Midway, not O'Hare. It doesn't really matter which airport you fly into, as long as you fly into Chicago.

So I was put on hold at AZCOM but still have heard nothing from CCOM and have been complete since July. Does CCOM not do holds? Are they silent holds? Have they sent out pre interview rejections yet?

II on 11/3. Completed app 9/25. GPA:4.0 MCAT:511
I've been accepted to Des Moines, and waiting to hear back from SLU. With interviews left at University of Wisconsin and Medical College of Wisconsin.
Anyone have any advice for the interview here? To be completely honest, I applied to 14 schools and wasn't expecting to (possibly) be able to choose between schools or have choices!I know I'll get a lot better idea for the school when I go there, but to those that attend or have interviewed, what are your thoughts of the school?

Congrats! When were you complete? Patiently waiting for that II haha

Thanks!! I submitted my secondary sometime at the end of August, but because of a delay in my LOR I wasn't complete until last Wednesday 10/28, that's when I got the complete email. Good luck to you!!

II on Tuesday 11/3(?). Interviewing Mon Dec. 7. Fri Dec. 4th was the only other day available.

See y'all there if you're heading out too.

Congrats dude! Were you able to get a December date or are they already on the January list?

Thanks man! Yea the only 2 dates available for me were 12/8 and 12/11, I picked Tuesday 12/8

did everyone receive a letter via mail around the time of secondary submission (prior to completion)?

Will be withdrawing my acceptance from here. Just got accepted into RowanSOM.