Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
withdrew my II here! Hope it goes to one of you guys :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I just received a rejection letter. Good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad :)
Cannot figure out where to post a question, so the question will be asked here. If a person wants to go to a osteopathic medical school, and wants to become a trauma surgeon, can that d.o. graduate do that? I know about residency and all that, but what is being asked here is "Does a D.o. grad have the same oppotunities and will hospitals hire a D.o. just as fast as a m.d.?

I just received a rejection letter. Good luck to everyone
nooooooo!!! I'm so so sorry :( But KCUMB!!! You have an incredible opportunity there... one of my friends goes there and absolutely loves it.

Cannot figure out where to post a question, so the question will be asked here. If a person wants to go to a osteopathic medical school, and wants to become a trauma surgeon, can that d.o. graduate do that? I know about residency and all that, but what is being asked here is "Does a D.o. grad have the same oppotunities and will hospitals hire a D.o. just as fast as a m.d.?
There is a blue button that says "post new thread" on the main pre-DO forums page, you'll get more info there.

I always questioned this too. I want to specialize in a surgical field as well. I think with ccom you'll have ample training in all fields. I also think with the merging of residencies this aspect will change over time.

I always questioned this too. I want to specialize in a surgical field as well. I think with ccom you'll have ample training in all fields. I also think with the merging of residencies this aspect will change over time.

With the AOA/ACGME Residency Merger, there are more opportunities for DO grads to enter more fields. We have had a few surgeons come and talk to us, so I'm assuming that going into surgery is not an impossible thing. After all, we still get the same training as our MD counterparts.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So.... It's been 10 weeks since I submitted my secondary. Haven't heard about an interview yet. LizzyM ~70. What's taking so long?

Last edited:
So.... It's been 10 weeks since I submitted my secondary. Haven't heard about an interview yet. LizzyM ~70. What's taking so long?
Patience. Last year I was complete mid-July and didn't hear back until end of January. Send an update letter if you haven't heard from them by the holidays.

Patience. Last year I was complete mid-July and didn't hear back until end of January. Send an update letter if you haven't heard from them by the holidays.
Okay- just checking. I've heard about II's at all other schools so I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing anything.

nooooooo!!! I'm so so sorry :( But KCUMB!!! You have an incredible opportunity there... one of my friends goes there and absolutely loves it.
It's fine. Guess I'll be saving $80,000+. I'm gonna miss the city tho. I felt a better vibe at both DMU and KCUMB than CCOM. But I feel CCOM has more to offer for better clinical experience and matching. Nonetheless I'm gonna enjoy wherever I go.

With the AOA/ACGME Residency Merger, there are more opportunities for DO grads to enter more fields. We have had a few surgeons come and talk to us, so I'm assuming that going into surgery is not an impossible thing. After all, we still get the same training as our MD counterparts.
Also with a specialty of trauma surgery, you will do a general surgery residency first which is a definite possibility as a D.O. I think there are not as many numbers associated with surgery residencies for D.O.'s because many are just more interested in primary care and internal medicine.

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but does anyone know if CCOM accepts more than 2 letters of rec assuming I'm not sending a committee letter?

Do you think it's worth applying here at this point in time? LizzyM - 62, a medical sciences masters, (and from the ccom area)

Do you think it's worth applying here at this point in time? LizzyM - 62, a medical sciences masters, (and from the ccom area)

That LizzyM is too low, unless you're doing extremely well in your masters and your MCAT score is at least 30...

What are your exact numbers? CCOM likes higher MCAT scores, and they're more forgiving with GPA.

Last edited:
Considering their average LM is 65.4, I think it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario you'll be out of $85 for the primary and secondary application!

Considering their average LM is 65.4, I think it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario you'll be out of $85 for the primary and secondary application!

62 and 65.4 is a pretty significant difference. He has a shot, but chances aren't going to be good. If he is really set on CCOM, then I would encourage him to apply, but he has to also consider the tuition once he is accepted.

With a LizzyM of 62, he should be aiming at new or low tier DO schools at this point in the cycle (BCOM, LECOM, CUSOM, etc.) He would've had a better shot if he applied earlier.

62 and 65.4 is a pretty significant difference. He has a shot, but chances aren't going to be good. If he is really set on CCOM, then I would encourage him to apply, but he has to also consider the tuition once he is accepted.

With a LizzyM of 62, he should be aiming at new or low tier DO schools at this point in the cycle (BCOM, LECOM, CUSOM, etc.) He would've had a better shot if he applied earlier.
Fair enough. I was answering under the assumption that the person already applied to a broad spectrum of schools and wanted to add this one in. I'm also a firm believer of you never know unless you try :)

Agreed. You never know unless you try! CCOM looks at your whole application. I know someone who had a 25 MCAT and got in. My MCAT was lower than average and I got in. Good luck!

Can anyone comment on if they offer dual-degree programs and what they are and when students typically apply. I didnt hear anything about it at my interview and cant find it online

I just recently finished my application, submitted on Nov. 2nd, I know that its really recent but does anyone know how long approx. they take for interview decisions? Also I'm a Canadian student, if that makes a difference..

I just recently finished my application, submitted on Nov. 2nd, I know that its really recent but does anyone know how long approx. they take for interview decisions? Also I'm a Canadian student, if that makes a difference..
End of the month. I interviewed Oct 2 and didn't hear back until the 29th. They always meet the last week of the month... sorry in advance for your wait :(

End of the month. I interviewed Oct 2 and didn't hear back until the 29th. They always meet the last week of the month... sorry in advance for your wait :(

Oh man that sucks.. oh well, at least I don't have to frantically check my email 30x a day for the next three weeks for peace of mind.

Oh man that sucks.. oh well, at least I don't have to frantically check my email 30x a day for the next three weeks for peace of mind.

To get an interview invite varies by your stats and how much the adcoms are interested in you. Sometimes it could take many months to get an interview invite or sometimes it would only take two weeks.

Also, since you submitted relatively later in the cycle, it may take a long while before they get to look at your application.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on if they offer dual-degree programs and what they are and when students typically apply. I didnt hear anything about it at my interview and cant find it online

There aren't any dual degree programs here. You'll keep busy with just the one degree though, I promise.

There aren't any dual degree programs here. You'll keep busy with just the one degree though, I promise.

Nyahahhaa. Trying to keep up with 1 degree =).

Guys is CCOM generally more lenient than AZCOM or the other way around?
My cGPA is very low, sGPA is 3.25, MCAT score is 509 (equiv. to 31)
I got waitlisted for an interview at AZCOM but haven't heard back from CCOM yet, I called and the lady said my application is under review.

I got waitlisted for an interview at AZCOM but haven't heard back from CCOM yet, I called and the lady said my application is under review.

I have low undergrad GPA as well (~3.2/3.1) with a 33. I applied early (6/30) and it took about 2 months before I heard back from CCOM. With AZCOM I heard back about a week after submitting my secondary.

I have low undergrad GPA as well (~3.2/3.1) with a 33. I applied early (6/30) and it took about 2 months before I heard back from CCOM. With AZCOM I heard back about a week after submitting my secondary.

33 is really good, I'm not quite at that level, but I have 509/31, I just want to know if I have a chance with those stats :/
I really hope I get taken off the waitlist for AZCOM and get an interview, but I would much rather go to Chicago. Waiting is horrible haha

CCOM doesn't do the "waitlist" thing like AZCOM, they'll just be silent until you're either invited for interview or rejected. AZCOM seems to waitlist people with either below average GPA or below average MCAT (not sure what happens if you're below average in both categories). Your MCAT is good and your GPA is lower than average for both schools, but it's not so low that you don't have a chance. I have friends who were accepted with lower GPAs and similar MCAT scores. As hard as it is to hear, just be patient. You said you just completed your application recently, so you might have to wait a bit. You might be invited to interview very quickly, or you might have to wait several months. CCOM is less predictable in terms of who gets invites and when. I was invited last year very quickly with a below average MCAT score and higher than average GPA while others with higher scores waited for months.

CCOM doesn't do the "waitlist" thing like AZCOM, they'll just be silent until you're either invited for interview or rejected. AZCOM seems to waitlist people with either below average GPA or below average MCAT (not sure what happens if you're below average in both categories). Your MCAT is good and your GPA is lower than average for both schools, but it's not so low that you don't have a chance. I have friends who were accepted with lower GPAs and similar MCAT scores. As hard as it is to hear, just be patient. You said you just completed your application recently, so you might have to wait a bit. You might be invited to interview very quickly, or you might have to wait several months. CCOM is less predictable in terms of who gets invites and when. I was invited last year very quickly with a below average MCAT score and higher than average GPA while others with higher scores waited for months.

That was really helpful, thanks a lot! Guess I'll just be sitting and waiting.. as hard as that is to do

That was really helpful, thanks a lot! Guess I'll just be sitting and waiting.. as hard as that is to do

Also if you're interested in AZCOM, I'd recommend sending them an update letter in January or so. I was "waitlisted" for interview at AZCOM last year in August. I was accepted to CCOM in October, and since it was my top choice I never bothered contacting AZCOM with any updates. I know people were eventually invited for interview at AZCOM off the waitlist starting in about January, but it probably helped if they continued to show interest in the school. With CCOM, I'd also recommend an update letter in the next few months if you still haven't heard anything.

Also if you're interested in AZCOM, I'd recommend sending them an update letter in January or so. I was "waitlisted" for interview at AZCOM last year in August. I was accepted to CCOM in October, and since it was my top choice I never bothered contacting AZCOM with any updates. I know people were eventually invited for interview at AZCOM off the waitlist starting in about January, but it probably helped if they continued to show interest in the school. With CCOM, I'd also recommend an update letter in the next few months if you still haven't heard anything.

To go off @ananasmed . My application was late because they had to wait for my MCAT. Once they receive my MCAT in January, I sent them an update letter, letter of continued interest, and another letter saying why I would be a good student for their school. (Not all at once of course-- about 2-3 weeks apart from each other). They called me for an interview in March, 2 days later I interviewed, and then got accepted. Don't lose hope.

To go off @ananasmed . My application was late because they had to wait for my MCAT. Once they receive my MCAT in January, I sent them an update letter, letter of continued interest, and another letter saying why I would be a good student for their school. (Not all at once of course-- about 2-3 weeks apart from each other). They called me for an interview in March, 2 days later I interviewed, and then got accepted. Don't lose hope.

That is really reassuring, I'll do the same same thing and hopefully it will help. Did you email the letters, and who was it addressed to?

That is really reassuring, I'll do the same same thing and hopefully it will help. Did you email the letters, and who was it addressed to?
Email it as a formal letter in PDF format to the admissions office. (I sent two last cycle as well: one around Halloween and one after the winter holidays. I'd been complete since mid-July with nothing but silence from CCOM)

I actually got in touch with an admissions counselor and sent everything in PDF via e-mail to the counselor. Everything was addressed to the admissions office.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone who has taken the MCAT in January 2015 receive an interview or an acceptance from CCOM?

Just out of curiosity, has anyone who has taken the MCAT in January 2015 receive an interview or an acceptance from CCOM?
I took the MCAT in January and crickets since early July.