Midwestern University Chicago (CCOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard back yet from the 1/12 interview date?

Members don't see this ad.

If there is a message in the MWUNet applicant portal page entiteled "2016-2017 Online Financial Aid Application Process," does that mean that you are accepted? Or did everyone receive this message today?

Has anyone heard back yet from the 1/12 interview date?

If there is a message in the MWUNet applicant portal page entiteled "2016-2017 Online Financial Aid Application Process," does that mean that you are accepted? Or did everyone receive this message today?
Interviewed 1/12 as well and haven't heard anything. They said it would take a month but didn't think they would be serious lol. Most people I talked to last cycle heard back within a week. And yes, I got the financial aid message as well but not sure what that is supposed to mean in terms of our status. Assuming it's a general message though :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today! Interviewed 1/25. That was a fast turnaround! Excited.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Accepted this morning as well. Interviewed 1/15. Very happy to get that e-mail.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have a link (if it exists) to a discussion thread for CCOM's MABS program (as up to date as possible preferably). Can't seem to find one. :(

Congrats to all the accepted! Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and best of luck with your decisions :)

Can anyone provide me any insight on interview day at CCOM? Congrats to those that were recently accepted!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who were accepted, would you mind sharing stats? Curious as to where i fall, i am in in state applicant and this is a top choice!

For those of you who were accepted, would you mind sharing stats? Curious as to where i fall, i am in in state applicant and this is a top choice!
I would just look at their average mcat and GPA, because I wouldn't say that everyone on here is representative of all the applicants. Regardless, I was accepted in December and my mcat was 35 and GPA 3.59

That's true. Their avg mcat is like around 29 and avg gpa is what 3.5? Correct me if I'm wrong please. Danggg you destroyed the mcat! Congrats on the acceptance!

Is there anyone complete since around July that hasn't heard back yet? Sent an update letter back in November and still no word. Idk what's going on :/ LizzyM ~72

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Can anyone provide me any insight on interview day at CCOM? Congrats to those that were recently accepted!

After a brief introduction to CCOM you go straight into interviews. There are 3 panel members with you in the room (typically a DO, PhD and student). After the interviews you get a brief financial aid overview and then a campus tour and the day ends with lunch. It was a very standard interview with basic questions, very relaxed and conversational. You'll enjoy your day there! Good luck!

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the Financial Aid application on the MWUnet site? The message center says "just select Financial Services on the top menu, then Apply for Aid of the left!" However, I do not have the Financial Services tab on my top menu...
Also, does anyone accepted know if there is a second look day and if so, when it is?

Complete 1/25, II just now--scheduled for February 8th. 3.23 cGPA, 514 MCAT. Sent an update letter this weekend informing the committee of my Navy HPSP selection, so I'm sure that helped.

Do you guys know if CCOM sends out IIs in big batches once per month, or sporadic IIs throughout the month? I have been complete since November, and still no word. 3.6 sGPA, 3.01 cGPA, 36 MCAT.

Some questions:

1. I know that all of the rotation sites are in Chicago, so are students allowed to set up an elective rotation out-of-state if they want?
2. Does CCOM have an OMM Fellowship?
3. How do current students like the symptom-presentation approach to the curriculum? (I've never seen that style before)
4. How are exams taken? On a computer/written? In classroom/testing center?
5. Are you guys happy at CCOM?

THANK YOU!!!!

Some questions:

1. I know that all of the rotation sites are in Chicago, so are students allowed to set up an elective rotation out-of-state if they want?
2. Does CCOM have an OMM Fellowship?
3. How do current students like the symptom-presentation approach to the curriculum? (I've never seen that style before)
4. How are exams taken? On a computer/written? In classroom/testing center?
5. Are you guys happy at CCOM?

THANK YOU!!!!

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. It doesn't seem to have a big impact on our curriculum to be honest since we're basically living and breathing basic science for the most part. We have a "case of the week" that we discuss in Patient Symptom Presentation class on Monday mornings. PSP is the "doctoring" class we take in first year, which corresponds to Physical Exam Skills (PES) - a separate but highly interrelated course where we learn the physical exam. The case of the week is usually relevant in OMM too, but not so much in our science courses. However, they do try to line up topics (for example, we're doing head/neck anatomy, learning physical exam of the eyes, ears, nose, throat, and doing cranial and cervical OMM right now) which I think is the main goal. So, in short, the symptom-presentation approach is all right, but nothing ground breaking in my opinion.
4. On a computer in a testing center. The facilities are nice and everything is organized - during orientation/before you take your first exam, you'll get a little simulated quiz to take in the testing center so you can see what it's like.
5. YES!

@Independencebaby , to add to @ananasmed's response to your question regarding rotations out of state, you can also do rotations out of the country. A 4th year just presented to us that she did one of her electives in Nicaragua.

Can any student comment on whether there are free clinics students can volunteer at? Is the MWU clinic one of them? Can't seem to find the information on the website. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
It does vary year to year. It all depends on how many people commit to their acceptance. I remembered in my interview, the director said, they have had a year where as little as 8 people got accepted off the waitlist, and another year where as many as 40 people got accepted. If you have been waitlisted, get a hold of a counselor and send all of your updates to that person. That way, someone is aware of your efforts =)

I have been updating them; I really hope I am ultimately accepted!

Can any student comment on whether there are free clinics students can volunteer at? Is the MWU clinic one of them? Can't seem to find the information on the website. Thanks in advance!

There's one clinic you can work for through all 4 years (Community Health Clinic) but you have to apply and only ~30 people get selected. There is also an OMM clinic in Old Irving Park held by one of the OMM faculty and you can volunteer as a student at the student-run OMM soft tissue clinic. Some students also volunteer at other clinical settings in their time outside of class.

Anyone know if CCOM is receptive to in the area phone calls/emails?

Complete since October, Illinois resident and stats just above average. Interviewed at AZCOM but still no news from CCOM. Anyone in a similar situation have luck with sending a letter or email of interest?
CCOM is very receptive to update letters. You can email a formal letter as a PDF. It may have been a coincidence, but I received an interview invite a week after I sent one. It can't hurt!

Anyone know if CCOM is receptive to in the area phone calls/emails?
Unfortunately, I haven't seen that work before

It's looking more and more like this will be the school I am attending come August, and coming from California, casual apartment searching is harder than I would would like. I'm having a hard time finding info on sharing apartments with other medical students and wondering if anyone on here knows of a good place to look, or is interested in the same thing and wants to discuss it further.

Thanks!

It's looking more and more like this will be the school I am attending come August, and coming from California, casual apartment searching is harder than I would would like. I'm having a hard time finding info on sharing apartments with other medical students and wondering if anyone on here knows of a good place to look, or is interested in the same thing and wants to discuss it further.

Thanks!

Hi there,

I was wait-listed here, but I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have about the area. I have lived in a suburb 10 min. away from Midwestern my entire life, and could give you ideas about where to look. Downers Grove itself is a nice suburb with a small stretch of shops/restaurants near the train tracks. It is about 25 minutes to Chicago. I don't know how close you want to live to the school, but feel free to ask questions. If you were thinking of living in Chicago, I'm not much help.

Thanks!

I'm interested! I live in a suburb about 20 minutes from Midwestern and am considering the student apartments or something similar. The living situation nearby campus is a bit pricey, from looking at the student housing vs. local apartments it will likely be cheaper to be on campus, esp since you wouldn't need to worry about having a car for your classes. PM me :)

How does paying the first semester's tuition work? I know that a $1,000 deposit is due soon (depending on when I got accepted), but aside from that, when is the remaining $61,000 due? Is it due soon or not for another few months?

So I applied to this school as a safety school back in August and never heard anything about an interview. I've already gotten into a good MD school but CCOM is quiet. Obviously it doesn't matter at this point but I guess I'm just curious why they're giving me the silent axe?

So I applied to this school as a safety school back in August and never heard anything about an interview. I've already gotten into a good MD school but CCOM is quiet. Obviously it doesn't matter at this point but I guess I'm just curious why they're giving me the silent axe?

I've heard there's no such thing as a safety school when applying to med school. And even if there was I don't think CCOM would be anyone's "safety"

Seriously...there is nothing to be gained from speculating as to why you didn't get an interview when you aren't considering reapplying. Go read a book. You've been accepted and your free time is officially on a countdown.

Edit: This is my revised post, my first draft was a rant about how pointless it is to ask pre-meds about the thinking of adcoms at a school you would not attend over a current acceptance.

Can anyone comment on whether you can be accepted without a DO LOR?

Can anyone comment on whether you can be accepted without a DO LOR?
I think you can since they only ask for 2 LORs: one from a physician (MD or DO) and one from a science professor/premed committee. I know they strongly recommend a DO LOR but I bet if you have a great relationship with an MD (thus a strong LOR from them) and have significant DO shadowing experience you can discuss, you're good to go.

I think you can since they only ask for 2 LORs: one from a physician (MD or DO) and one from a science professor/premed committee. I know they strongly recommend a DO LOR but I bet if you have a great relationship with an MD (thus a strong LOR from them) and have significant DO shadowing experience you can discuss, you're good to go.

Agreed! I had a strong MD letter (with some DO shadowing) and a premed committee letter and was accepted :)

Interview at 8 am tomorrow! Complete in mid Nov after an MCAT mixup with AACOMAS. Interview at AZCOM in 10 days. Seen some awesome feedback on here, any last pointers for an interview? Can't wait to get a closer look!

Interview at 8 am tomorrow! Complete in mid Nov after an MCAT mixup with AACOMAS. Interview at AZCOM in 10 days. Seen some awesome feedback on here, any last pointers for an interview? Can't wait to get a closer look!
Just be yourself! Seriously though, I felt it was pretty low stress. As long as you've thought out the 'why DO why Midwestern why medicine' questions and know some key experiences from your life you can use for 'tell me about a time when...' questions, you're golden. I thought it was really fun to meet other interviewees, too.

Does anyone know when we should start thinking about housing? I'm looking to live off campus roughly 10 minutes away in the direction of downtown Chicago. Anyone have suggestions for places to live or for how to find roommates?

@Independencebaby I'm going to ask students at the second look day in March about housing options. Some stuff I've seen online are 2-3 bedroom apartments in Hinsdale from about $1080-1500/month; Lisle (opposite direction as you mentioned but still an option) apartments with 2-3 bedrooms from about $1120-$1409. Many are pricier than that but there are a few decent finds. I'm also curious about the on-campus apartments because driving on I-88 in rush hour kiiiiinda sucks.

@Independencebaby I'm going to ask students at the second look day in March about housing options. Some stuff I've seen online are 2-3 bedroom apartments in Hinsdale from about $1080-1500/month; Lisle (opposite direction as you mentioned but still an option) apartments with 2-3 bedrooms from about $1120-$1409. Many are pricier than that but there are a few decent finds. I'm also curious about the on-campus apartments because driving on I-88 in rush hour kiiiiinda sucks.

Do you know when second look is exactly? Where did you find this information?

Hellooo everyone! I was wondering if there is anyone attending CCOM who is in search of a roommate? Im going to be a first year student there this August! I'm in the Facebook group already but it doesn't seem to have much action in regards to people posting... other than the occasional person selling books and what not. If anyone is interested DM me!