Minnesota v Missouri

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montprevet1017

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm pretty new to SDN so forgive me if there is a better place to ask this question. I was recently accepted off the alternate list at both Mizzou and Minnesota. I am feeling extremely lucky and also extremely torn. I would appreciate it if anyone has any insight into either school. I am out-of-state at both and interested in veterinary public health, so any input on their DVM/MPH programs would also be welcome. I am a bit intimidated by Mizzou's fast-paced curriculum (especially with MPH courses on top), but definitely like the option of switching to in-state tuition after my first year. Minnesota's curriculum feels like a better fit, and it seems like the MPH portion of the dual-degree is well-integrated into the DVM stuff, but I'm not sure that's all worth it if I am not granted residency there. Anyway, if anybody has any direction for me, please let me know! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Setting bias aside for a minute: When you look at it financially (I used this website: http://www.vinfoundation.org/AppUti...833&objecttypeid=10&redirectFromMiscDefault=1), there is quite a bit of a difference between tuition ($100,000 +), and with interest you are looking at A LOT more, so I feel like most people will advise you to go to the cheaper school, since you will you get a wonderful education either way. However, ultimately the decision is up to you, regardless of what others say.

As for Mizzou, I know a few classmates who are in the MPH program, and so far they really like it. It's possible (if you start early), to stack your classes right so it's not too bad, and several of the classes you don't even have to take because we are technically taking them already in our curriculum. Yes, the curriculum is fast paced (as it is at all schools), but there is always someone to reach for if you are struggling, and there is a varying amount of acclimation as well.

If you have any more questions about Mizzou, feel free to ask either here or PM :)

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the MPH program at Mizzou, either. I have a few friends in it, and they definitely manage the work load. If you start early like Ashgirl said, it is very very manageable. Almost all the classes are online with a few exceptions, and a lot overlap with the vet school curriculum. There was someone who posted about the MPH program in the Class of 2019 facebook group, so if you aren't a member of that, I highly recommend you join :) Some DVM/MPH students replied to that.
I personally love the face paced curriculum here at Mizzou and honestly wouldn't want it any other way. And Ashgirl is right about the tuition, that alone would have made my decision right there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since 2 people have already talked about the MPH I won't say it again. But, I will say I love the curriculum at Mizzou. It's a bit fast paced but it's worth it to get into clinics 7 months early. We get a TON of free time in clinics (guaranteed at least 16 weeks free) to customize your schedule to things that matter to you. I know during clinics with the MPH you end up doing your mph internship during part of that free time. Outside of the curriculum the cost of tuition is a huge factor, and the cost of living in Columbia is super cheap- as in can pay rent and utilities for 300-400$ a month with roomies. Getting switched to in state tuition is not a huge deal either.. Save yourself some debt, and move to COMO!!!

Thanks everybody for all the info! Definitely lots of factors to consider. @Ashgirl expect some PMs from me haha

Reactions: 1 user