MPH Fall 2015: Applied, Accepted, Waitlisted, Rejected!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I applied to Emory back in October and still haven't heard anything....starting to get nervous! I wonder why they haven't made a decision either way...o_O

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Yale interviews? For all the programs? Ahahahaha. ****.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just signed up for the Emory webinar (which was the only email about anything from Emory this week). Can we be hopeful that if you got invited to the webinar at least the application hasn't gotten into the "reject for certain" pile? Silly to even ponder this I know. It's an unusual seminar topic.

Reactions: 1 users
I just signed up for the Emory webinar (which was the only email about anything from Emory this week). Can we be hopeful that if you got invited to the webinar at least the application hasn't gotten into the "reject for certain" pile? Silly to even ponder this I know. It's an unusual seminar topic.

I didn't get this email :(

I was rejected in early January, but before I was I received all their emails. I think it's safe to assume those emails are just generics that are sent to the mass.

I want to sign up but it's right when I'm in class. :( But I was thinking the same! Hopefully that's the case.

I was thinking about the same thing haha, but who knows?

I want to sign up but it's right when I'm in class. :( But I was thinking the same! Hopefully that's the case.

I'd respond online, though, and say you're in class at the time. I am just super paranoid. Is attending going to get us from waitlist to in? No. But you never want to have the lingering question. That way you know you did the right thing. Plus, I grew up with Emily Post and one always responds to an invitation.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,
for those of you applying to Yale MPH.. I wanna know have you received the decisions yet? I have submitted mine on SOPHAS in mid-november and got confirmation from Yale saying that my application is complete on 12/9. Still nothing heard back. I am applying to chronic epi..

Thanks

Hey guys,
for those of you applying to Yale MPH.. I wanna know have you received the decisions yet? I have submitted mine on SOPHAS in mid-november and got confirmation from Yale saying that my application is complete on 12/9. Still nothing heard back. I am applying to chronic epi..

Thanks
I applied mid-november and heard back early January.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that schools send out decisions for Epi before any other program?? Does anyone know why that is?

Congratulations! I believe you're the first person here to have heard from Harvard! Did they e-mail you or was your decision available on MYSPH?

Check out this link, there's some info on deferrals http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/catalog/admission-and-enrollment/ if you look under "Matriculation" you'll find what you need

I got an email saying admission decisions ready to viewed. Please check your MySPH account. Once there, there was a link to my admission decision letter. Thank you for the link.

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that schools send out decisions for Epi before any other program?? Does anyone know why that is?

I actually think it's pretty mixed - which is good for me as a non-epi person! :D I've only heard from 1/4 (GW) but I heard back on 11/26, just over two weeks after I applied (I was already verified prior to applying.) I'm not aware of others being notified by GW that early - and I don't think I'm a stellar applicant or something; I just think the COPC program is pretty small, making it easier to review on a rolling basis. On the other hand, maybe larger epi programs are also easier to review if they have the benefit of more reviewers, and/or possibly a smaller pool than expected. Could also be sampling bias - more epi applicants posting, so odds are that epi applicants will be reporting decisions.

I'm curious what the conventional wisdom is about applying closer to the deadline. Is it a handicap? Is it likely to affect merit aid? I notice that many of you applied very early!

Hi guys, just got accepted to MPH Epi at Harvard. Anyone has any idea about the process for deferring?
Woo hoo!!! Congratulations!!! That's awesome!!!

I'm curious what the conventional wisdom is about applying closer to the deadline. Is it a handicap? Is it likely to affect merit aid? I notice that many of you applied very early!
I don't know if I'd call it a handicap, but I submitted early with the belief that applicants pursuing the last few slots of a class might receive a greater level of scrutiny than those being considered for the first few slots. I have absolutely no scientific basis for this; it's based solely on how I think human nature might come into play.

One thing that's beyond question is early submission sends the message that you're an organized and focused person who's serious about the program. People who submit at the deadline with a reference letter or transcript pending? Not so much. In this sense, early submission is low-hanging fruit. I don't know why more people don't take advantage of it.

Last edited:
From what I've read it's considered an asset to apply earlier, especially for schools that release decisions as they make them. The less slots left to fill, the greater the competition. If you think your application is on the borderline, an early app might help push it into acceptance. If you're clearly a great fit for the program, the time you apply probably won't matter as much.

I got an email saying admission decisions ready to viewed. Please check your MySPH account. Once there, there was a link to my admission decision letter. Thank you for the link.

Wow, I had no idea that they gave out decisions this early :O

Update from Emory:

Received an email from an academic advisor in the Hubert Dept of Global Health congratulating me on my acceptance on Friday the 23rd. Short description of program, an invite to the open house in March, and a blurb about when I should expect to receive an admissions packet in the mail.

"You will be receiving an admissions package from Rollins School of Public Health's Office of Admissions within the next three weeks (international student packets may take up to six weeks). If it has been more than three weeks (domestic students) or six weeks (international students) since you have viewed your admissions decision on OPUS and you have not received an admissions package, please email the Admissions Department at [email protected]."

I found out my decision via OPUS on 1/7 and again, there's no date on the decision letter for when it was actually uploaded to OPUS, so it looks like I might be sending admissions an email this week.

Also did my interview at UNC on Friday and think it went pretty well. UNC and Emory are tied for my top choice, so it'll be a difficult decision if I get into UNC. I think it'll just come down to how much money I'll be offered. Emory's tuition & fees for one semester = UNC's for an entire year (yay for being an NC resident), so just waiting on word from financial aid offices.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm doing a (sort of) last minute application and I am just wondering if anyone knows the format of a statement of purpose. I know on SOPHAS we just copied and pasted into a text box, but for this specific program I have to apply directly to the school and upload my SOP as a PDF. Am I suppose to use "justify" or "align text left?" (I typed my SOP in 12pt Times New Roman, Single Space, No indent on the paragraphs, No title.) I've read mixed opinions online, but if anyone has talked to an admissions counselor (or knows anything), I would appreciate the help!

I'm doing a (sort of) last minute application and I am just wondering if anyone knows the format of a statement of purpose. I know on SOPHAS we just copied and pasted into a text box, but for this specific program I have to apply directly to the school and upload my SOP as a PDF. Am I suppose to use "justify" or "align text left?" (I typed my SOP in 12pt Times New Roman, Single Space, No indent on the paragraphs, No title.) I've read mixed opinions online, but if anyone has talked to an admissions counselor (or knows anything), I would appreciate the help!
Really pick over the school's website to make sure they don't list any formatting instructions. If they do, follow those exactly. If not, here's an example of requirements from a school I applied to:
  • 1.5 or double spaced
  • 1 inch margins
  • Font 11+ points (so 11 or 12)
  • 2-5 pages
Also, from the book "Graduate Admissions Essays":
  • Include identifying info on the top of every page
  • # the page
  • Example:
    First Middle Last Page 1
    Applicant for Masters of Public Health in Epidemiology
    University of Blahblah, Fall of 2015 incoming class
  • Edit: The book also suggests scanning in your signature and inserting it at the bottom of your SOP as a picture. It's a nice effect.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Thanks

I applied to the same program and my application timeline mimics yours. I haven't heard anything either.

Really pick over the school's website to make sure they don't list any formatting instructions. If they do, follow those exactly. If not, here's an example of requirements from a school I applied to:
  • 1.5 or double spaced
  • 1 inch margins
  • Font 11+ points (so 11 or 12)
  • 2-5 pages
Also, from the book "Graduate Admissions Essays":
  • Include identifying info on the top of every page
  • # the page
  • Example:
    First Middle Last Page 1
    Applicant for Masters of Public Health in Epidemiology
    University of Blahblah, Fall of 2015 incoming class
  • Edit: The book also suggests scanning in your signature and inserting it at the bottom of your SOP as a picture. It's a nice effect.

Unfortunately the school's website didn't address the format. But thank you for the information- it's really helpful!!

Fingers crossed for more acceptances for everyone this week!

Reactions: 16 users
I'm actually quite curious, do you guys frantically await decisions because you want to know where you'll be next year, because it's your #1 program, want to feel accomplished, or what is it?

1. I want to know where I need to move. My fiance will be making the move with me, so he also wants to know where we're going. And we have a wedding to plan. :)
2. I'm ridiculously stoked about starting grad school, looking into international work opportunities, etc.
3. I want to feel like all my work trying to get here has somewhat paid off

Reactions: 6 users
Hopefully this will be a better week for hearing from schools. Good luck, everyone!

Reactions: 4 users
I applied to Emory back in October and still haven't heard anything....starting to get nervous! I wonder why they haven't made a decision either way...o_O

I've been wondering the same thing. I'm just assuming it's not a bad thing that we haven't heard yet. It appears that they have been giving out acceptances, rejections, and waitlists. Maybe they just haven't gotten to our applications yet?? :shrug:

It does seem that more epi decisions get released early. I think it's due to there being a lot more applications to the epidemiology departments.

Hoping this is a good week for everyone! Almost February...:eek:

GW people - have you gotten your acceptance packets yet? Just want to make sure I'm not missing mine...I emailed 1/6 and they said they've been massively backlogged due to a large pool of applicants before the 12/15 priority deadline and they're normally out within 1-2 weeks but that they would be sent out as soon as possible. I still haven't gotten mine, so I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten theirs...

Just received an email from University of Michigan's International Health/Epidemiology program that I received a Dean's Scholarship for 50% off my tuition! I am super excited, but also very conflicted because I am not really ready to move to the freezing cold and leaving my gig at the CDC and potentially doing long distance again with my boyfriend...Emory, please hurry up!!

Reactions: 13 users
Just received an email from University of Michigan's International Health/Epidemiology program that I received a Dean's Scholarship for 50% off my tuition! I am super excited, but also very conflicted because I am not really ready to move to the freezing cold and leaving my gig at the CDC and potentially doing long distance again with my boyfriend...Emory, please hurry up!!

That's awesome! Congrats!

50% at Michigan, that is awesome!!! The cold blows but it isn't the worst thing in the world. Ann Arbor is supposed to be a really great town for young adults. I'd definitely seriously consider it. :)

Not sure if this helps others, or just makes people anxious. I'm a long term lurker of these forums

Heard back from Harvard School of Public Health, and accepted in part-time/online MPH in Epidemiology program. I also applied to John Hopkins (haven't heard back yet), but will likely accept this prior to hearing back as it's my first choice and works better with my schedule.

I'm in a bit of a different situation than most applying. I completed MD degree back in 2010, just at the end of a 5-year residency/fellowship. I have a few publications pending.

Good luck to all and hopefully I'll meet some of you down the road.

Reactions: 7 users

Unless Emory gives you a better financial aid package, if it was me... Personally, I would go with Michigan. 50% off is hard to beat and we all know how expensive college is (and let us not forget Michigan is higher ranked than Emory).

:)

Reactions: 2 users
Unless Emory gives you a better financial aid package, if it was me... Personally, I would go with Michigan. 50% off is hard to beat and we all know how expensive college is (and let us not forget Michigan is higher ranked than Emory).

@asseenontv I'd have to agree with this to a degree. I did not apply to Michigan, but they have an excellent program. Half off your entire tuition is an incredible offer. Emory is a great school, but the chances of you landing a similar offer are low. The only facet to consider here really is location. If you definitely want to end up in the Southeast and don't mind taking on the (sizeable) extra debt, then Emory is a great bet. However, if you would not mind working up North, then choose Michigan.

I am starting to get angry every time I get an e-mail.

I am starting to get angry every time I get an e-mail.
This seriously is me any time my phone vibrates.. I really really really hope we all hear something this week.

Reactions: 2 users
50% at Michigan, that is awesome!!! The cold blows but it isn't the worst thing in the world. Ann Arbor is supposed to be a really great town for young adults. I'd definitely seriously consider it. :)

@asseenontv I'd have to agree with this to a degree. I did not apply to Michigan, but they have an excellent program. Half off your entire tuition is an incredible offer. Emory is a great school, but the chances of you landing a similar offer are low. The only facet to consider here really is location. If you definitely want to end up in the Southeast and don't mind taking on the (sizeable) extra debt, then Emory is a great bet. However, if you would not mind working up North, then choose Michigan.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. UMich is definitely almost tied with Emory as my first choice, and I still have yet to hear back from Emory. I have asked some friends and friends of friends who are doing their MPH in Ann Arbor right now and very few of them are thinking of staying in Michigan. I have thought about moving to Michigan for my degree and then moving back to Atlanta or something. Ugh, I have no idea and worrying doesn't help since I don't have all the information I need to make a decision yet! I just moved to Atlanta not too long ago to work at the CDC and it'd be great to continue making connections here and there is possibility I could contribute to a publication. Anyway, let's hope we all hear something back this week!

Hoping this is a good week for everyone! Almost February...:eek:

GW people - have you gotten your acceptance packets yet? Just want to make sure I'm not missing mine...I emailed 1/6 and they said they've been massively backlogged due to a large pool of applicants before the 12/15 priority deadline and they're normally out within 1-2 weeks but that they would be sent out as soon as possible. I still haven't gotten mine, so I'm wondering if anyone else has gotten theirs...

I called last week. They said 5-6 weeks for priority deadline applicants.

One thing to say about rankings as I've talked to current MPH students: programs in the top 10 don't different that much from each other as far as caliber and quality of education goes. You will probably have the same amount of opportunities and resources and there will always be great faculty at top 10 schools. What does it really mean to be higher than another school in ranking, you know? In the case of Michigan and Emory, Michigan has a score of 4.3 and Emory has a score of 4.1, so what does that 0.2 difference entail? I'm not trying to discourage anyone from incorporating rankings into your decision, but just giving others something else to think about while trying to make a decision.

After visiting a few schools, questions I like to ask current students are how is the camaraderie within your specific cohort? How many electives do you get and how flexible is scheduling? Do you feel that professors and other faculty are receptive towards feedback? Who does the overall school seem to cater to? Some schools might give more attention to the needs and wants of doctoral students over masters students while some seem to cater more to masters students. Questions like these I never really thought about until I visited the schools and asked current students about like what do you find slightly annoying, but not really problematic? Something that someone finds kinda annoying may be really problematic for someone else.

One thing to say about rankings as I've talked to current MPH students: programs in the top 10 don't different that much from each other as far as caliber and quality of education goes. You will probably have the same amount of opportunities and resources and there will always be great faculty at top 10 schools. What does it really mean to be higher than another school in ranking, you know? In the case of Michigan and Emory, Michigan has a score of 4.3 and Emory has a score of 4.1, so what does that 0.2 difference entail? I'm not trying to discourage anyone from incorporating rankings into your decision, but just giving others something else to think about while trying to make a decision.

After visiting a few schools, questions I like to ask current students are how is the camaraderie within your specific cohort? How many electives do you get and how flexible is scheduling? Do you feel that professors and other faculty are receptive towards feedback? Who does the overall school seem to cater to? Some schools might give more attention to the needs and wants of doctoral students over masters students while some seem to cater more to masters students. Questions like these I never really thought about until I visited the schools and asked current students about like what do you find slightly annoying, but not really problematic? Something that someone finds kinda annoying may be really problematic for someone else.
Good advice!

I'm losing my mind at this point, February can't come soon enough!! Only thing I'm worried about is that schools will wait till March to send out decisions for certain departments.

Decisions are likely to get pushed back another week as it is, with the snow from DC to Maine. I hoped to hear from BU/Tufts this week. Not anymore. Maybe I'll just look at this as a "bye" week and apply to more schools with June deadlines. The more I'm on here, the more I'm convinced I won't get in anywhere (else).

Bah, another day of no decisions. Are my fellow New Englanders ready for the blizzard? Stay safe and warm everyone!

Got an email from UIC saying my app was recommended for admission and that it's going to be forwarded for an official decision. If I remember correctly, this is the first time they've contacted me at all.

Reactions: 9 users