*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some major help on personal experience essay - I want to talk about my asthma, how it is has given me the motivation to keep on going on my goal of becoming a doctor, even though EVERYONE said that its a bad choice...how do I state this in a way that sounds good and tells what I can contribute to medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

how long does it take for TMDSAS to mark your transcript as received? I sent it out about a month ago but it still says "not received"? I'm starting to worry...

I need some major help on personal experience essay - I want to talk about my asthma, how it is has given me the motivation to keep on going on my goal of becoming a doctor, even though EVERYONE said that its a bad choice...how do I state this in a way that sounds good and tells what I can contribute to medicine?

If everyone is telling you that this is a bad idea, then it is up to you to figure something out. I would agree and say that unless you have a significant story to tell, it's probably best to think about something else.

Maybe talk about a specific person who has motivated you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
how long does it take for TMDSAS to mark your transcript as received? I sent it out about a month ago but it still says "not received"? I'm starting to worry...
That sounds excessively long. I would contact them and hope that they just hadn't updated your record. But be ready to send another copy.

So I did my undergraduate degree in Canada but a Post-Bacc and SMP in the States. Due to Texas law or something my Canadian grades aren't included in my TMDSAS GPA. Meaning that my GPA is a 3.9 compared to a 3.0 AMCAS GPA. Any idea how schools will view my app? I have a 38 MCAT and decent EC's, but had really low grades in my Canadian school the first few years. Will I really be treated as a 3.9/38 in Texas? Seems a bit too good to be true...

This is directly from the TMDSAS FAQ section:

"8. Academic work at foreign colleges, universities, or preparatory schools shall be excluded from the calculation. In such cases, the grade-point average and credit shall be evaluated and computed as determined by the graduate or professional school to which the student is applying."

This is directly from the TMDSAS FAQ section:

"8. Academic work at foreign colleges, universities, or preparatory schools shall be excluded from the calculation. In such cases, the grade-point average and credit shall be evaluated and computed as determined by the graduate or professional school to which the student is applying."
Thanks, yeah I read that on their website. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how an application with both American and Canadian grades would be viewed by schools. Wondering whether most schools will look at my TMDSAS gpa or go through the trouble of calculating their own.

Thanks, yeah I read that on their website. Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on how an application with both American and Canadian grades would be viewed by schools. Wondering whether most schools will look at my TMDSAS gpa or go through the trouble of calculating their own.

I have both as well. I'm assuming that schools would make the small investment in time to calculate our true GPA.

How long does it take TMDSAS to get MCAT scores? I submitted mine through the MCAT THx and it says completed under that system, but under the status in TMDSAS, it says my MCAT scores are "NOT RECEIVED". I also double checked to make sure I had the correct AAMC ID under the TMDSAS application.

How long does it take TMDSAS to get MCAT scores? I submitted mine through the MCAT THx and it says completed under that system, but under the status in TMDSAS, it says my MCAT scores are "NOT RECEIVED". I also double checked to make sure I had the correct AAMC ID under the TMDSAS application.

It took mine a little over a day. About 36 hours. I sent my scores to TMDSAS in the evening of 07/23 and TMDSAS marked them as "Received" in the morning of 07/25.

TMDSAS Activities FAQ:

Available categories
(http://www.tmdsas.com/medical/section_Overview.html)
ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
NON-ACADEMIC RECOGNITION
LEADERSHIP
EMPLOYMENT
RESEARCH ACTIVITIES
HEALTHCARE ACTIVITIES
COMMUNITY SERVICE
EXTRACURRICULAR & LEISURE ACTIVITIES
PLANNED ACTIVITIES

1) Should I write descriptions in narrative or bullet form? They say either list or paragraph is fine. But as far as formatting goes in TMDSAS activity section, you will see that when you hit save, the listed items are strung together one after another (instead of each in separate lines). Many write in paragraphs because of this formatting issue to make it more readable. Be cautious if you want to use bullets (or hyphens in their place).

2) If there's a significant non-medical volunteer experience I did back in High School for 4 years, can I include it on my application? Some don't think your application should include activities that occurred before your college freshman year. Maybe bring it up in a "why do you want to be a doctor," Secondary, or interview.

3) Should I list all my shadowing together? Yes, but if it doesn’t fit gracefully into the 300 space limit, list the experiences separately.

4) If I had multiple leadership positions within an organization, do I list them separately on the TMDSAS? (ex: entry 1- VP of Org X, then separate entry 2 for Pres of Org X) Yes, as long as each leadership role required uniquely different components.

5) For an award that I have received multiple times (Dean's List) should I list it every time I earned it since it shows up on my transcript as well multiple times? Put it once and say earned x number of times, or list separately.

6) Where do you put publications, under Research Experiences? Do you just paste the citation into the description? You could just put the citation but if you can fit in a short description about what you did, include that.

7) What if I have multiple publications? If possible, put multiple publications under one entry for research with a 1 for the hours. As 300 chars aren’t enough for full citations one can abbreviate which author spot, the journal, and the year published (TMDSAS was called and the lady mentioned this would be fine).

8) My research lab is working on a publication for the next school year. I have the citation, so should I put this in the "planned activities" section? The perfect place to put this.

9) If I have a recurring volunteer experience that happens every winter break for the past 4 winter breaks, should I separate them into four entries or just clump them into one entry? If I clump them into one entry, do I just put down the dates for one and the total hours for one? Or do I put down total hours over 4 winters for cumulative? You could do either, one would probably put it in one, combine the hours, and mention how this was done every winter break as well as information about it (if you can fit it).

10) I already put under my medical volunteering section that I plan to continue a volunteer activity indefinitely, but should I also put it in again under future activities? Treat each section as a stand-alone section. An interviewer should be able to look at the Planned Activities section and know everything you are going participate in during the foreseeable future. One person calling TMDSAS reported they said, "For the planned activity you should enter the start date as today and it should be up to the date of med school matriculation."

11) I understand that for the PLANNED ACTIVITIES section, it's okay to list all of your continued activities even if you previously indicated in another section that they would run until May 2015 or whatever. Because each activity may fit the criteria for different categories (ex. community service AND leadership), which category would I select for that activity in the planned activities section? Do I make two nearly identical planned activities (one labeled community service and the other labeled leadership), or do I simply choose the most appropriate category? List it under the most appropriate category, but write the description in such a way that the reader would infer it falls under both. It shouldn’t be a problem if you list it twice though.

12) For the optional essays, is it better to fill out one versus not filling any of them out? I have a unique experience of being chosen to go to Washington DC for a conference as the only student from Texas attending. However, I read that essay is only for hardships and things of that nature. Is that true, or is my idea fine for that essay? Definitely write the essay as you're thinking. It's always a good idea to write the essays in the first place, especially considering that several TX schools have no Secondaries. Take every chance you're given to sell yourself. As for your specific idea, this is an opinion: don't read any subtext into the prompt. It asks for "unique circumstances or life experiences" that would provide the schools with a "broader picture of who you are". Your idea sounds like it fits the bill.

13) If the date range for a particular activity spans into the future, do they want us to list completed hours + projected hours under Total Cumulative Hours or do we just list the hours we have completed thus far? For example:

Date Range: September 2013-June 2015
September 2013-Present: 100 hours completed
Present-June 2015: 100 hours projected

Total Cumulative Hours = 200 or 100

TMDSAS, when called, said if the date range spans into the future, one should include projected hours in the Total Cumulative Hours.

14) After I typed up all my activities, I created the chronology of activities. It is all correct, but the description was cut off due to 50 characters limit. Do we need to fix this in the chronology of activities itself or is this ok? TMDSAS was called and they said to leave it truncated.
Answers extracted from the last two years of ~Official TMDSAS Questions Thread~ and credited to SDN posters who've helped previous Texas applicants and to the TMDSAS Help Line at 512-499-4785.
[This post is a work in progress.][/QUOTE

Hey guys. On TMDSAS, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to organize my shadowing experiences. I've shadowed in different states, so should I add two separate healthcare activities sections? One for the shadowing in GA and the other for the shadowing in TX? Also for the description box, do we clump up all of the procedures we've seen and the doctors we've shadowed? Or do we add a new healthcare activity section for each shadowing activity with different dentists? Please help!

Can TMDSAS tell if you have a score but don't submit it? I've already got a score on there, and I just got my retake back and it's lower than my other score.
I think you have to release all of your scores. You can't just pick one or two, but someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

30 mcat, 3.8, 4 years of research, 100 hours of volunteering, 40 hours shadowing...am I OK for texas schools?

Quick question. How did you guys label "publications" under the research activity name? I feel like just listing publication is vague. Is there a fancier way to put it?

Where would you list poster presentations and conferences? Research Activities or Extracurricular Activities?

Is there an advantage to early interviews? In invite email they offered October 11th, but in the application site I have the option of choosing earler dates.

I've heard plenty of times that Texas schools take care of it's residents (most states do, I would presume); however, I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get statistics for Texas residents and medical school matriculation rates?

I've heard plenty of times that Texas schools take care of it's residents (most states do, I would presume); however, I'm wondering if anyone knows where to get statistics for Texas residents and medical school matriculation rates?

There's no stats for Texas residents only. The closest you will get are the official TMDSAS stats.

stats.https://www.tmdsas.com/Final Statistics Report- EY13 - Medical.pdf

While Texas does look out for it's own, there are still a lot of applicants and the overall stats for the schools are pretty much the same as national averages.

Reactions: 1 user
This might help someone else. I found out today that you can get secondary fee waivers for Texas Tech and A &M schools if you ask. The A and M school requires your family to be under the poverty line, but the Texas Tech school will waive it if you have the AMCAS fee waiver.

Sorry to bump this to the top, but I couldn't find this answer elsewhere and I'd really like to have a plan in place. Is there any point in submitting your TMDSAS application before your transcript(s) is/are received? I know that TMDSAS will begin to process your application as soon as you submit + pay. I understand that they will update the schools as those come in, but is that an annoyance to schools? To get an essentially useless application on May 1st since transcripts + LORs will not arrive until later? The AMCAS process makes sense to me...you have the chance to send your transcript way earlier than you can submit, so if you are proactive then you can submit immediately after the application opens and everything is already there to be verified. But this is not the case with TMDSAS, and I'm confused on whether it is "worth" submitting my application May 1st, since my transcripts will have not arrived. (FYI: I know that I should take my time and make sure my application is perfect. I will not rush. I am just a ducks-in-a-row person.)

Sorry to bump this to the top, but I couldn't find this answer elsewhere and I'd really like to have a plan in place. Is there any point in submitting your TMDSAS application before your transcript(s) is/are received? I know that TMDSAS will begin to process your application as soon as you submit + pay. I understand that they will update the schools as those come in, but is that an annoyance to schools? To get an essentially useless application on May 1st since transcripts + LORs will not arrive until later? The AMCAS process makes sense to me...you have the chance to send your transcript way earlier than you can submit, so if you are proactive then you can submit immediately after the application opens and everything is already there to be verified. But this is not the case with TMDSAS, and I'm confused on whether it is "worth" submitting my application May 1st, since my transcripts will have not arrived. (FYI: I know that I should take my time and make sure my application is perfect. I will not rush. I am just a ducks-in-a-row person.)
Submit your application as soon as you feel that it is at its best. Submit your transcripts as soon as your spring grades are available. Beyond that, I don't feel that it is anything you need to be worried about. Also, May 1st vs. June 1st verification isn't going to make or break your application. Both are considered "early."

It wont be an annoyance to the schools; in both AMCAS and TMDSAS it is when the application file is complete at each individual school that applicant gets a review by the adcoms. At AMCAS schools, it is by AAMC policy. At the TMDSAS it also likely covered by AAMC policy as they are members of that body as well. Because of the Texas match, some functions such as prerequisite fulfillment are check at the primary TMDSAS step where as in AMCAS they are checked at the pre-matriculation level at each school.

Status
Not open for further replies.