*~*~*~*Official TMDSAS Questions Thread 2014-2015*~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone heard anything from Houston yet?
last year Houston started sending out interviews in mid august, so I would expect interviews to go out around the same time this year

Members don't see this ad.

last year Houston started sending out interviews in mid august, so I would expect interviews to go out around the same time this year

Sorry! Should've been more clear- I meant has anyone received any conformation emails of getting anything from TMDSAS? Don't schools atleast reach out when they've started receiving some of your things to acknowledge that you're an applicant?

Sorry! Should've been more clear- I meant has anyone received any conformation emails of getting anything from TMDSAS? Don't schools atleast reach out when they've started receiving some of your things to acknowledge that you're an applicant?

I got a conformation e-mail from all schools except Houston.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I didn't receive a confirmation from UTH until the end of July.

Does anyone know how long it took for TMDSAS to verify application for those who applied late June last year?

Can we copy and paste our essays from Notepad over to the application or do we need to transcribe it directly? I know that we can't go straight over from MS Word, but I was wondering if Notepad or a similar txt application might work.

Thanks,
Bill

Can we copy and paste our essays from Notepad over to the application or do we need to transcribe it directly? I know that we can't go straight over from MS Word, but I was wondering if Notepad or a similar txt application might work.

Thanks,
Bill

Yes- I think best preferred method is to transcribe directly into the app, but any text program such as notepad should work just fine.

So apparently first interview calls for Tech went out (per the Tech 2014-2015 school specific thread)? Anyone have any input on this, considering this is almost a month earlier than last year?

I'm just about ready to submit my TMDSAS primary, but I'm having a bit of an issue as my permanent resident card is currently at the British Consulate (I'm applying for a visa for study abroad). I have a copy of the card however--will a scan of the copy be enough or should I wait for the real thing? It could be anywhere from one week to a few weeks and I want to submit as soon as possible...

I have a question about LORs.

On TMDSAS, it says that the DO school I am applying to requires 2 LOR from "faculty that know you" well. Plus, an extra letter. They then say they recommend a letter from a DO physician.

My question is this:

I have a LOR from a DO, but I don't know how good it is since I shadowed him for 3 days only. I have other letters that are much better. Do you think it would be worth it to use one of my slots for the DO letter, or should I not submit the DO and submit 3 better letters?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm just about ready to submit my TMDSAS primary, but I'm having a bit of an issue as my permanent resident card is currently at the British Consulate (I'm applying for a visa for study abroad). I have a copy of the card however--will a scan of the copy be enough or should I wait for the real thing? It could be anywhere from one week to a few weeks and I want to submit as soon as possible...

Will a scan of a copy look any different than a scan of the original? I think it would be fine in either case, since the intent is that you have one, not that you have the original paper in your hand.

Just got a confirmation email from UT Houston, finally.

The waiting game is officially underway.

Just got a confirmation email from UT Houston, finally.

The waiting game is officially underway.

What does that confirmation really mean? Bc if we were transmitted earlier...but just got the confirmation today, does that mean they're looking at the actual application today? Or do they go in batches? Or is it randomly automated?

Penny for someone's thoughts!

Just checking,

We are able to add/delete future coursework after we've submitted the application, correct? (Before processing)

Thanks!

Do secondaries come in automatically for TX schools or is there a screening process? In other words, would it be wise to start pre-writing now?

1) Do you guys think it would be okay to say I organized two "canned food drive" from my city's food bank?
2) Also, how about saying that I participated annually (4 years total duh) in "Community Service Day? It's where university students go around the city picking up trash, putting flowers, digging, etc.

Just want to know about putting those in [Community Service]. THANKS! :)

I am a competitive runner. Under "Non-Academic Awards/Achievements", could I list my personal achievements such as "Placed 29th out of 4,000 participants in Austin Half Marathon" or "1st in age category, 2008 Capitol 10K". Additionally, at the organization where I work, I have been recognized in a newsletter for my work in starting a pilot after school health promotion program. Does this also count as an achievement?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows if being considered a "late" applicant is different for Texas schools than for other schools? It seems like the Texas schools application process is going a lot faster than the schools going though AMCAS. Its worrying me!

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knows if being considered a "late" applicant is different for Texas schools than for other schools? It seems like the Texas schools application process is going a lot faster than the schools going though AMCAS. Its worrying me!
Hope not. I just submitted 2
Days ago.

Are we suppose to send the secondaries immediately with the primaries? I was thinking about sending it about a week after. Is that common? So stressed >.<

Are we suppose to send the secondaries immediately with the primaries? I was thinking about sending it about a week after. Is that common? So stressed >.<
There are different due dates for each school's secondary, all are much later in the year. So its not bad at all if you send them a week after primaries. Don't be stressed! You do want to submit them as early as possible though so your entire application can be complete. :)

There are different due dates for each school's secondary, all are much later in the year. So its not bad at all if you send them a week after primaries. Don't be stressed! You do want to submit them as early as possible though so your entire application can be complete. :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Hey, does anyone know what a TA (volunteer position) would be classified as? Thanks!

1) Do you guys think it would be okay to say I organized two "canned food drive" from my city's food bank?
2) Also, how about saying that I participated annually (4 years total duh) in "Community Service Day? It's where university students go around the city picking up trash, putting flowers, digging, etc.

Just want to know about putting those in [Community Service]. THANKS! :)
Yes and yes.

I am a competitive runner. Under "Non-Academic Awards/Achievements", could I list my personal achievements such as "Placed 29th out of 4,000 participants in Austin Half Marathon" or "1st in age category, 2008 Capitol 10K". Additionally, at the organization where I work, I have been recognized in a newsletter for my work in starting a pilot after school health promotion program. Does this also count as an achievement?
Yes to the running ones. The other is a little tougher. It is an achievement, but also sounds a lot like community service. However, you could list it in both sections.

It's still early. Don't dilly-dally, though, some schools are already sending out invites!

That's fine. Don't rush into it, but don't put it off, either.

Hey, does anyone know what a TA (volunteer position) would be classified as? Thanks!
Well, if it wasn't paid employment, than I suppose it's community service.

So is it better to type the essays into the prompts on the application, or does something like copypasta Notepad also work as well?

Also, if using the Notepad method, is it okay to have a space between paragraphs, or should they all be formatted together? Example:

Yep, said the doctor! Looks like it's a boy!
I'm going to be a father!

vs

Also, should there be indentations on new paragraphs?

So is it better to type the essays into the prompts on the application, or does something like copypasta Notepad also work as well?

Also, if using the Notepad method, is it okay to have a space between paragraphs, or should they all be formatted together? Example:

vs

Also, should there be indentations on new paragraphs?
It's always better to type straight into the box, that way there's no chance of it getting screwed up. It also acts as an additional spell-check.

Either space paragraphs or indent them, but you don't need to do both.

It's still early. Don't dilly-dally, though, some schools are already sending out invites!

My application will not be complete until the beginning of August (Due to MCAT). I will have everything else done by then (Primaries verified, secondaries completed.) It seems like for the AMCAS schools early August is in the middle (not early but not too late). But if Texas schools are already sending out invites, will it be way too late for me?
I made the terrible mistake basing my timeline off the AMCAS...:(

My application will not be complete until the beginning of August (Due to MCAT). I will have everything else done by then (Primaries verified, secondaries completed.) It seems like for the AMCAS schools early August is in the middle (not early but not too late). But if Texas schools are already sending out invites, will it be way too late for me?
I made the terrible mistake basing my timeline off the AMCAS...:(
It's not ideal, but you should be in contention for Sept and Oct invites. That's still way better than a lot of applicants!

As long as your app is solid, you should still be in pretty good shape.
Ok, good. As long as I do well on my MCAT my app should be solid.
Also, I was wondering if an activity goes under 2 categories, do I write the same description for both categories or do I change it around a bit?

Ok, good. As long as I do well on my MCAT my app should be solid.
Also, I was wondering if an activity goes under 2 categories, do I write the same description for both categories or do I change it around a bit?
If the description shows why it's in that category, you can leave it the same.

I submitted my primary on June 1st, and now I still haven't submitted my secondaries! Is there a due date for them from schools?

I submitted my primary on June 1st, and now I still haven't submitted my secondaries! Is there a due date for them from schools?

It is the same as the primary app deadline but your app won't get looked at until you submit secondaries. Schools might also think you aren't so interested in them if there is a huge gap between primary and secondary submission.

I have a question which may not be super important but I was wondering…For the Demographics Section, under Family, it says to list out your siblings and says include step siblings. Would I include my half-sisters here or not? I know they're not technically step siblings but I still consider them family.

I have a question which may not be super important but I was wondering…For the Demographics Section, under Family, it says to list out your siblings and says include step siblings. Would I include my half-sisters here or not? I know they're not technically step siblings but I still consider them family.
Sure.

Unique Experience: Briefly discuss any unique circumstances or life experiences that are relevant to your application which have not previously been presented.
What counts as a "unique experience?"

Status
Not open for further replies.