Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Re-applicant... Applied and interviewed for the first time last year but ultimately not accepted. Going into this year with more confidence and clinical experience. I got this!

Re-applicant... Applied and interviewed for the first time last year but ultimately not accepted. Going into this year with more confidence and clinical experience. I got this!

Do you mind sharing stats? I would like to apply to this school, but I don't know too much about it, especially in terms of match success, rotation sites, ect. Anyone know any more on this kind of stuff?

Members don't see this ad :)
Greetings All! I have been around the school quite a bit lately, and as an Okie I will be applying here this cycle. The best thing about this school in my experience is the people. Everyone is very helpful and accepting. The facilities are pretty nice, just not as extensive as some of the other schools in the region. If anyone has any questions about the area or general questions about the school, let me know.

Do you mind sharing stats? I would like to apply to this school, but I don't know too much about it, especially in terms of match success, rotation sites, ect. Anyone know any more on this kind of stuff?

The school has a pretty good rotation set up that gets you experience in a variety of areas, but rotations are a little heavy in med/fam/rural medicine (including a 6 week rural clinic rotation that usually requires a temporary move to another location within the state). The school operates its affiliated hospital and clinics in a poor area of Tulsa, so there are apparently a lot of unique opportunities such as an STI clinic. A good thing about the matches at this school is that if you are looking at doing an ACGME residency, they have pretty good success getting matches at University of Oklahoma, University of Arkansas and at several of the Texas schools (I know of at least 2 IMs that matched at Baylor). I think the success in ACGME residencies is limited to Meds/Peds/Fam and General Surg. Very few get the more competitive ACGME residencies like Ortho/Derm. If the ACGME doesn't matter, then OSU has several of their own AOA residencies in several locations. You can opt to stay in Tulsa at OSU medical center where they have just about every residency possible and multiple Cards fellowships, or if you are a small town type of person and prefer PC, they offer residencies at smaller city/county hospitals. My information is limited, but I hope this helps.

24 mcat
3.75 sgpa
3.4 cgpa

The school has a pretty good rotation set up that gets you experience in a variety of areas, but rotations are a little heavy in med/fam/rural medicine (including a 6 week rural clinic rotation that usually requires a temporary move to another location within the state). The school operates its affiliated hospital and clinics in a poor area of Tulsa, so there are apparently a lot of unique opportunities such as an STI clinic. A good thing about the matches at this school is that if you are looking at doing an ACGME residency, they have pretty good success getting matches at University of Oklahoma, University of Arkansas and at several of the Texas schools (I know of at least 2 IMs that matched at Baylor). I think the success in ACGME residencies is limited to Meds/Peds/Fam and General Surg. Very few get the more competitive ACGME residencies like Ortho/Derm. If the ACGME doesn't matter, then OSU has several of their own AOA residencies in several locations. You can opt to stay in Tulsa at OSU medical center where they have just about every residency possible and multiple Cards fellowships, or if you are a small town type of person and prefer PC, they offer residencies at smaller city/county hospitals. My information is limited, but I hope this helps.

This helps a lot, thanks. I'm not opposed to doing rural rotations, but I would like to keep my options as open as possible in terms of specializing. I'm not necessarily gunning for derm, but I don't want to get forced into PC. Plus aren't the ACGME and AOA merging by the time my class would match?

24 mcat
3.75 sgpa
3.4 cgpa

Are you IS or OOS? I'm OOS with 3.76 cgpa, 3.70 sgpa, 24 MCAT (retaking in August), and decent ECs. I know OSU has a strong IS preference, but hopefully I still stand a chance.

Last edited:
This helps a lot, thanks. I'm not opposed to doing rural rotations, but I would like to keep my options as open as possible in terms of specializing. I'm not necessarily gunning for derm, but I don't want to get forced into PC. Plus aren't the ACGME and AOA merging by the time my class would match?

Are you IS or OOS? I'm OOS with 3.76 cgpa, 3.6 sgpa, MCAT pending, and decent ECs. I know OSU has a strong IS preference, but hopefully I still stand a chance.

Oh yes, I keep forgetting about the merger. It's 2015 I believe, so things may be a little different for our class. OSU still produces several graduates in specializd residencies, I was just saying that their students are more competitive in PC residencies outside of AOA than they are for specialized residencies. But again, the merger may change that. Here is the link to the residencies offered through OSU. Still a pretty good diversity of programs.

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/college/resident-intern/program_matrix.cfm

As for OOS, if you can demonstrate a strong passion for osteopathic medicine, that will help your chances tremendously.

My stats:
3.82 cGPA
3.72 sGPA
MCAT is pending

Are you IS or OOS? I'm OOS with 3.76 cgpa, 3.6 sgpa, MCAT pending, and decent ECs. I know OSU has a strong IS preference, but hopefully I still stand a chance.

In state... I also have a large amount of UD science classes and some decent EC.

What are my chances here?

3.68c
3.64s
25 MCAT (9PS 7VR 9BS)
Illinois resident

DO letter, above average ECs

GPAs are competitive for this school. MCAT is pretty close to the school average (26 I believe). Even with the DO letter, you will still need to express your interest in osteopathic medicine. What about the philosophy really draws you to its education? If you can show that you are well versed in the osteopathic philosophy and are very interested in the training (particularly OMM and outreach to underserved populations) then you should have a shot. If some of your ECs are relatable to the Osteopathic philosophy, that will add to your app strength. Some ties to the state of Oklahoma will be extremely helpful as well. Good luck!

By the way, I believe this school is still one that is on rolling admissions. So apply early to give yourself a slight edge.

Definitely apply early, especially from out of state. If you can make it in for a visit with the admissions office you might benefit from some face time. Facilities are nice, staff are excellent, students body is awesome. Good luck everyone and pm if you have questions, I just got in last cycle.

Also if you get ahold of a match list keep in mind that a lot of people come here to stay in their home state (fitting with the school's mission) so there is some self selection that not everyone is interested in big name residencies or high powered specialties. And many people are aiming for primary care like at many do schools so keep that in mind too.

Also worth noting that the OPTI here is quite strong (I think they might have as many res slots as grads even?) and the school has a teaching hospital across the river.

After surfing through the 2012-13 thread, people attending this school have some crazy high stats. I have a decent gpa for DO, but I feel very inferior in this crowd...

Members don't see this ad :)
After surfing through the 2012-13 thread, people attending this school have some crazy high stats. I have a decent gpa for DO, but I feel very inferior in this crowd...

Don't feel that way. Stats aren't everything. Be confident in yourself and let them know you want this more than anything.

I am a little scared about this cycle too, OSU seems pretty competitive. This is my top choice DO school, but my gpa isn't that high. I do have a decent MCAT and ECs. I couldnt find a DO to shadow in my area although I contacted tons. I did help start a pre-SOMA charter at my school, I have read The Difference a D.O. Makes by an OSU affiliate and I have known many D.O.s so I am hoping that will help. I really want to go here so bad! The only school I would really pick over this one would be my IS school.

From out of state I would say it is quite competitive. Especially numerically. There are only about a dozen non residents in each class give or take. Statistically it's probably very competitive too. My interview group was all oos and the people there who were Sdn members revealed quite competitive numbers.

Don't be too intimidated though. Play up your strengths, your commitment to osteopathic medicine, and any connection to the school you may have.

I am a little scared about this cycle too, OSU seems pretty competitive. This is my top choice DO school, but my gpa isn't that high. I do have a decent MCAT and ECs. I couldnt find a DO to shadow in my area although I contacted tons. I did help start a pre-SOMA charter at my school, I have read The Difference a D.O. Makes by an OSU affiliate and I have known many D.O.s so I am hoping that will help. I really want to go here so bad! The only school I would really pick over this one would be my IS school.

Your stats are competitive. Apply early and make sure they know how much you want to be there. The admissions office is run by extremely nice people who are very receptive to being contacted, meeting with you, etc.

Your gpas are very good. Rock your mcat, show them you want to be there, and you'll have a fighting chance.

If I live in Wichita, Kansas, and if I make sure they know that they are my top school, will that help much? It's only a couple hours away...

If I live in Wichita, Kansas, and if I make sure they know that they are my top school, will that help much? It's only a couple hours away...

Being from witchita of itself will not give you any advantage but if you really convey your desire to attend strongly then maybe they would consider you especially likely to attend since you wouldn't be relocating far. Maybe they wouldn't. Hard to say if they consider things like that. You are still out of state so apply early, write a strong secondary conveying your desire to attend, and maybe pop down and pay them a visit if you can.

I'm so excited to be applying this year!! The journey to get to this point has been such a long path and honestly, I'm blessed to even be able to apply. My stats are not very competitive on paper so I am praying that being early will help to offset that. OSU is by far the only school that I wish to be at. Best of luck to all you others applying this year!

Any OOS'ers applying here?

are there cut off for required seats to be in state?

I opened up the secondary a week ago and started filling it out. I went back to work on it today and it says that it isn't open until July 1? Did anyone else start filling it out as well? Hopefully it saves my information. Hoping for some OOS love here as well. Fortunately I attend a school in Tulsa and plan to remain in OK indefinitely.

I opened up the secondary a week ago and started filling it out. I went back to work on it today and it says that it isn't open until July 1? Did anyone else start filling it out as well? Hopefully it saves my information. Hoping for some OOS love here as well. Fortunately I attend a school in Tulsa and plan to remain in OK indefinitely.

That's odd... I submitted my secondary this past week and never had an issue with it.

That's odd... I submitted my secondary this past week and never had an issue with it.

Same here. I hope it wasnt last year's secondary we filled out! :scared:

I see it says you don't have to wait for an invite but when I try to access it says "2014 Supplemental Application for Admission - Valid application dates are: July 1st through March 1" so don't think it's open for this cycle yet

Do any current students know if they are firm on the D.O. letter requirement? I have dont lots of things in Osteopathic medicine, read books, attanded presentations by college reps, and was a presidency member of a pre-SOMA club, but I never found a D.O. to shadow, and I tried really hard! Any chance this could be waived?

Does anyone know how OSUCHS contacts us to verify completeness, offer interviews, etc.? Is this by email or do we need to monitor our online account? I submitted my secondary before they delayed it so that is done, primary is also received, just waiting on my last rec letter. I tried to log in to the application portal and it isn't allowing me to log in...any ideas?

First email you get will be them saying they've received your aacomas application. Later, they'll email you saying your file is complete (all letters, secondary app, etc. have been received). Then, if selected for an interview, they'll call you to schedule.

So, the secondary application is working...kind of. You can do a little bit, but once you hit the next button on the bottom of the screens, it logs you out. After logging back in a couple times, you are given the next page, but after seeing two prompts, I got tired of it.

The two prompts I saw were "Why do you want to go to OSU-CHS?", and "Is there anything else you would like us to know?"

It seemed to work a little better in Firefox even though it says it was created for IE. Check it out of you want, otherwise wait til Monday.

Edit: There didn't seem to be any word limit. The fill boxes were similar in format to the reply boxes here on SDN.

I went though and completed the supplemental application, submitted my payment, got confirmation of payment, but was returned to the submit payment screen on the supplemental application. I called OKSU tech support but they said they are no longer involved once payment has been submitted.

I just want to verify that my application has actually gone through. Anyone have a contact I might ask?

I went though and completed the supplemental application, submitted my payment, got confirmation of payment, but was returned to the submit payment screen on the supplemental application. I called OKSU tech support but they said they are no longer involved once payment has been submitted.

I just want to verify that my application has actually gone through. Anyone have a contact I might ask?

Sarah Quinten is the one to ask about your application status. If it said your payment went through, I'm sure you're fine.

Sarah Quinten is the one to ask about your application status. If it said your payment went through, I'm sure you're fine.

I spoke to Sarah today (I believe) and I was told my app was submitted successfully. The woman I spoke to also told me that you will not get a confirmation that your app was submitted, but if you get kicked back to the supplemental from the payment screen you are fine.

As an OOS California applicant, what would be considered competitive? I have already submitted my app and am waiting to be verified..but I'm researching this school now and wondering if it would be worth it to apply.

My stats are: cGPA: 3.58, sGPA: 3.54 MCAT: 28, 29

I only have an MD letter for now because I haven't worked with a DO for an extensive amount of time..but one of the organizations I am heavily involved in just recruited a new DO physician and I'm going to be working with her starting next week. This is the same organization I got my previous MD letter for and my work involves volunteering at homeless/community clinics for the underserved.

Accepted OOS students for this school tend to have very high #s, but they really do look at the whole applicant. It sounds like you have extensive experience serving underserved communities, so that's a plus. I'd bet you have a good chance at an interview, and the secondary for OSU is one of the cheapest ($40 I think) so definitely apply! Get everything in early for your best chance. Good luck!

Anyone complete at Osu yet?
Do we get a complete email? I called to verify my secondary was submitted, told it was, but I still have the same screen as before. Final Review/Next.

Anyone else?

Do we get a complete email? I called to verify my secondary was submitted, told it was, but I still have the same screen as before. Final Review/Next.

Anyone else?

I emailed to ask about my secondary because I am able to make changes and do whatever even though I paid. I was told the person who handles that is on vacation til Monday.

I emailed to ask about my secondary because I am able to make changes and do whatever even though I paid. I was told the person who handles that is on vacation til Monday.
I spoke to someone who verified my secondary was submitted. I guess things are wonky in that we aren't getting a status update screen like we are supposed to?

Oh well. I'm OOS, so my chances are very low as it is.

I spoke to someone who verified my secondary was submitted. I guess things are wonky in that we aren't getting a status update screen like we are supposed to?

Oh well. I'm OOS, so my chances are very low as it is.

I am OOS as well. We are applying at many of the same places. Good luck to you!

From what I have heard there is usually little to no notification of status updates. I think it's on the applicant to verify that the school has everything.