Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you know if the school is heavily biased? I'm an Illinois resident.

About ten percent of each class is from oos, which is around 15 students a year.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got the email saying my file is complete! now the wait for an interview invite begins! does anyone know when they usually start getting sent out? the email said they start interviews in october

Complete email today. I'm oos, fingers crossed, legs crossed, eye crossed all that stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
is today the first day people got complete emails? when would people start getting Interview invites?

does anyone know when they usually start getting sent out? the email said they start interviews in october

is today the first day people got complete emails? when would people start getting Interview invites?

In my experience, they call you for an interview 3-4 weeks before the interview, and you choose which day of that week you would like. I doubt they've looked at the apps much at this point, but that's just a guess.

I did not get a complete email. My portal still shows me the "final review" and "payment" screen, but I did call a week or so ago to confirm that my application has been submitted.

Hello... Hello... Hello...

Is anybody in here? Just nod if you can hear me?

Just added this one to my schools list. Got over my worriedness about their regional bias. Never know if you don't try!

Anyone else get an email about their rural medical track? I mentioned it in my secondary that I was interested in it but they actually emailed me asking more questions about my interest in it.

Yep, I got that email today too! At least the ball is rolling....

Do any current students have thoughts about the Rural Medicine Program? I've heard mixed reviews about it.

A couple things I read that was hoping to verify:
1. Do you somehow get locked into primary care if you are in the rural med program?
2. Do you have to temporarily move to another part of the state if for clinical rotations?

Thanks for any feedback!

Do any current students have thoughts about the Rural Medicine Program? I've heard mixed reviews about it.

A couple things I read that was hoping to verify:
1. Do you somehow get locked into primary care if you are in the rural med program?
2. Do you have to temporarily move to another part of the state if for clinical rotations?

Thanks for any feedback!

I am a 4th year. The rural program is currently in development as it is running so things may have changed since my class was the first group to have the option.

Note** I am not in the rural track.

The students who did it did their rotations that required them to stay close first (ie OMM, psych, etc) and then had to do their core (surgery, ob, medicine 1&2) and electives at or around their rural site. They were more restricted on electives an had to stick to primary care for the most part. The advantage is that they could achieve advance acceptance to a given rural residency. They also rotated on 4 week blocks instead of monthly blocks. (This doesn't matter anymore since everyone is on 4 week blocks now). As a part of the program you had to do a summer internship over the summer between year 1 & 2 also.

what does advance acceptance in rural residency mean?? do they finish residency in less time?

Members don't see this ad :)
what does advance acceptance in rural residency mean?? do they finish residency in less time?
Nope, no shortened residency
Sounds like they get preferential treatment and get priority into a rural residency.
Precisely, rather than playing the match they can obtain advanced acceptance to a rural residency.

Has there been any information from this school yet? In-state people getting interviews?

OOS here and wondering if we tossed away our money :(

They usually start offering interviews (meaning, making the call to set them up) in Oct or maybe late Sept. About 15% of each class is OOS.

I have 3.7sgpa/ 3.56 cgpa/23 mcat. Over 100 hrs clinical volunteering/ some non clinical. Chances look okay for an ii?

Rural track does not lock you in to primary care. You are not required to match primary care and they don't care if you go on to do something else. It is all about the way your rotations are set up, though as noted above it will limit the scope of your electives.

I have 3.7sgpa/ 3.56 cgpa/23 mcat. Over 100 hrs clinical volunteering/ some non clinical. Chances look okay for an ii?

In-state? I'd say you get an interview

Out-of-state? Hope you have an mcat re-take coming up. If you haven't already, go ahead and apply/send in a secondary...you never know.

SGPA: 3.67
CGPA: 3.74
MCAT: 30

I'm from IS (OSU is actually my Alma mater...) I received my completion email a few days ago. Good luck everyone!

Just got an II! Interviewing on the 16th! OOS applicant 4.0/30

I am OOS as well, but I am interviewing on the 18th. Congrats on the interview!

II phone call today!!!! I am thrilled to interview here!!!!

Last night a first year resident who went to OSU spoke at my school and brought up some very good things about OSU, but also said a few things that made me have some questions. Can any current students comment on the curriculum here (meaning how they like the PBL)? Also he said that there's danger of OSU's teaching hospital being shut down in the next 5 years or so. Is this true?

Last night a first year resident who went to OSU spoke at my school and brought up some very good things about OSU, but also said a few things that made me have some questions. Can any current students comment on the curriculum here (meaning how they like the PBL)? Also he said that there's danger of OSU's teaching hospital being shut down in the next 5 years or so. Is this true?
Hi everyone. I'm an MS1 this year. Unfortunately we have not really gotten into the new curriculum yet. The systems based learning starts next semester. It is a new curriculum this year that they have been working out for the last 4 years. They have described the new curriculum to us during orientation. However, we have not experienced it yet. As for the hospital closing, yes they have been in financial worries as a lot of teaching hospitals. The state legislature just granted the hospital $25 million for the next 5 years. Then it will be necessary to go before the legislature again and be granted more state funds. The legislature understands the importance of the teaching hospital to the state as our school produces the vast majority of practicing rural health primary care physicians for the state. Although no one can know the future it is good to know that this problem has been faced by the state and school before and has worked out. Hope this helps. Good luck in all of your applications and interviews. Hope to see you in campus soon! A few of us check this site and are more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
Cheers

If the hospital can survive the little spat about 5 years ago, it can survive for the foreseeable future, imo. They recently pumped a significant amount of money into renovating some departments, and this part of the state really can't afford to let it shut down. Most, if not all, state legislators will work to keep it from closing its doors. Once they find a new management partner, I'm sure the fear will die down.

You might want to read these:

http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.a...ee_Medical_Center/20130911_11_A9_CUTLIN695044

http://www.healthsciences.okstate.edu/news/2013/05-09-osumc.php

Hey everyone-- just some thoughts from a current MSI at OSU COM:

1) Get your app in early because it is rolling admissions. To have a complete file you need AACOMAS, secondary, and all letters in. Secondary app can be found on the school website I believe.

** If you can, try to find a DO that went to OSU COM to write your letter. OSU COM loves to see their alum backing an applicant (but if not it's okay!)... you can always send in more letters after you app is submitted as well
** You WILL receive an email once your file is complete. Then, if the school decides to interview you, you will be contacted via phone to schedule a date. IMPORTANT: CALL THE SCHOOL TO MAKE SURE YOUR FILE IS COMPLETE if you haven't received an email after a while. One of my letters of rec was missing last year and was holding up my app, and I didn't know until I called Sarah Quinten in the admissions office.

2) Instate/Out of State acceptance: Class of 2017 is 115 people, only about 20 of us are out of state

3) Interview: very laid back. Feel free to message me if you want to know more about specific interview questions etc., but they also list a lot of interview questions on previous threads.
** Last year there were over 2000 applicants, and about 250 interviews were given to make a 115 class size. I have never heard of anyone being rejected after an interview at OSU, usually waitlisted or accepted. So, if you get an interview than you have a VERY GOOD chance of being accepted. And if you get waitlisted.... IT'S OKAYYY!!!! SWEAR. I can think of about 20 in my class who were waitlisted last year that got in! :)

4) New curriculum-- so far I think my class likes it. The MSII's are always saying they wish they had our curriculum instead of theirs. Right now in the first semester we are doing foundations courses before we start systems. Many medical schools seem to be focusing on systems based curriculums from what I can tell. Since it is new for everyone right now, it is a little hard to explain because we haven't quite experienced it fully yet (sorry if that doesn't help much :/)

Sappy end note: My class has only been in school now for about 6 weeks, but I cannot imagine being at any other school. I have been blown away by how close everyone is here and just the environment in general. Med school is really tough, but I am so happy that I am here with people that are supportive and truly want to help each other do well. Hopefully this is evident to those that visited to the school or are interviewing.
It's just something all applicants should think about no matter where you applying-- because it's going to be a LONG 4 years and you better make sure you are in a place where you can be somewhat happy right!? :)))

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!! YOU CAN DO IT!

There are some bumps in the new curriculum. They should be ironed out before you all go through.

Hospital is not closing or in danger, things are looking up in fact. Read the articles above.

PBL is not the new curriculum style. It is systems based second semester on, with foundational courses the first semester.

For those of you with interviews, how long after getting your complete email did you receive an II? I'm in state, 3.79 with a 32 so I'm sure ill get an interview but I wasn't complete til 9/19

I just got the call this morning, interviewing October 30th!! =D Complete 9/19

Last edited:
Just sent in my secondary to this school. I read up more about the research opportunities and am really enjoying the vibe of this school. I hope I get an interview.

Did anyone not ever receive a secondary? Might have to give them a call...

I just received a phone call inviting me for an interview. Chose Nov. 15th. I'm OOS

Anyone else have an interview Nov. 1? And, anyone that's had an interview care to share what some of the questions were?

Anyone else have an interview Nov. 1? And, anyone that's had an interview care to share what some of the questions were?
I interviewed a few weeks ago and it really wasn't bad at all. The two people that I got assigned to were really nice and didn't ask me anything "hard." They mostly asked questions about my application like "I see you did this... Talk about it." They only asked me one health related question but I can't remember the exact question. It had something to do with importance of prevention.

Of course they asked "why doctor" and "why OSU" but they didn't ask me "why DO" like I thought they would. They also didn't ask anything about rural medicine but I had my future plans written in my personal statement so that might have answered any questions they had. Also I heard every interviewer asked about what you do to relieve stress.

Oh, and he opened up with "tell me about yourself" so just be ready for that also! Hope this helped!

I don't know if you've interviewed anywhere else, but it's really a pretty casual interview environment here. About 6-8 others will interview the same day. You have a conference room that's pretty much 'yours' for the day. Two interview groups, 2 on 1 format (1 D.O., 1 Ph.D.). Each interview lasts about 40 minutes. Don't expect oddball questions that try to trip you up like a lot of schools, it's really just a conversation to get to know you. Two questions everyone should have an answer for: Why D.O., and why OSU?

Got a voicemail today at 2:30.. I have to wait until Monday to call back!!