Oklahoma State University (OSU-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They are quite prompt about the II once you are complete. I had the same experience, time between being complete and II was also about a week.
Yeah, I was pretty surprised by this, but very happy about how quickly they process applications.

Members don't see this ad.

Welp. I was complete 10/09 GPA: 3.84 MCAT: 32 and nothing so far but I'm from Florida so I think they probably have some reservations, although it's definitely one of my top choices as I'm looking to move out West.

Thanks for the info though guys. I'm staying positive.

Welp. I was complete 10/09 GPA: 3.84 MCAT: 32 and nothing so far but I'm from Florida so I think they probably have some reservations, although it's definitely one of my top choices as I'm looking to move out West.

No problem. Your stats are impressive, it is just that most state schools desire to have in-state matriculants who would eventually practice medicine in the state. Do you have ties to Oklahoma? I do know the Oklahoma Board of Regents mandates that 75% of each class must be Oklahoma residents.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

Hey, those are fantastic Stats! Mine are similar and I'm an IS that interviewed on 10/16. Let me tell you that they are absolutely interested in OOS students with elite stats as I had one that was in my interview group, there were only 8 of us interviewing so it is a very personalized experience. I encourage you, if you are seriously interested in attending OSU, to reach out to them and emphasize your strong desire to relocate to Oklahoma for medical school and to tell them what about their program appeals to you so much. If you do this I am confident you will land an interview. And I want to leave you with one final bit of information, the culture of the school is phenomenal, one that I do not think you will encounter anywhere else. It is truly a community at OSU where everyone is supportive of each person's success and is invested in it. There is not a scintilla of 'cutthroat' in the air there. The small class size, 115, means that you will be very familiar with each of your classmates, which is unlikely to occur at school with a very large enrollment. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or concerns, but I truly believe they'd love to hear from you.

I thought it was higher... Like 90%?
Mandate is not the same as actual matriculation. The mandate just sets a floor, a minimum percentage. The actual enrollment is somewhere between 85 and 90 I think. But there is a visible representation of OOS students, as I have met quite a few.

Hey, those are fantastic Stats! Mine are similar and I'm an IS that interviewed on 10/16. Let me tell you that they are absolutely interested in OOS students with elite stats as I had one that was in my interview group, there were only 8 of us interviewing so it is a very personalized experience. I encourage you, if you are seriously interested in attending OSU, to reach out to them and emphasize your strong desire to relocate to Oklahoma for medical school and to tell them what about their program appeals to you so much. If you do this I am confident you will land an interview. And I want to leave you with one final bit of information, the culture of the school is phenomenal, one that I do not think you will encounter anywhere else. It is truly a community at OSU where everyone is supportive of each person's success and is invested in it. There is not a scintilla of 'cutthroat' in the air there. The small class size, 115, means that you will be very familiar with each of your classmates, which is unlikely to occur at school with a very large enrollment. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions or concerns, but I truly believe they'd love to hear from you.

Thank you so much for this and thank you as well to NURSE2MD/DO. I'll definitely send you a PM if I have any specific questions. But yes, I'm really interested and everywhere I read I see this great community atmosphere mentioned and that was even the focus of my secondary response is that I'm really looking for a new home and OSU seems to create that environment for the class. Do you think I should go through the admissions e-mail or is there someone more specific I should direct my attention to that maybe you learned of through the interview experience.

Thank you so much for this and thank you as well to NURSE2MD/DO. I'll definitely send you a PM if I have any specific questions. But yes, I'm really interested and everywhere I read I see this great community atmosphere mentioned and that was even the focus of my secondary response is that I'm really looking for a new home and OSU seems to create that environment for the class. Do you think I should go through the admissions e-mail or is there someone more specific I should direct my attention to that maybe you learned of through the interview experience.
Either through the admissions email or perhaps directly to Lindsey Kirkpatrick who is the director of admissions. She is super to talk to and I know she'd be pleased to hear about your enthusiasm for the school.

Agreed with Jumanji2015. I would just call admissions and let them know about your serious interest.

Thanks everyone! By far the most helpful and kind thread of applicants I've encountered. I'll keep you updated on my status and can't wait to hear about all of yours!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone from the October interview dates heard back from OSU yet?

Nope. They told us between 2 and 3 weeks. So, for me it will be 3 weeks on Thursday 11/06. I hope to hear from them soon.

I worried myself so much hoping for a call last Friday that around 2 pm I stress-ate a ton of food and then stress-napped for about 2 hours. Can't wait to do it again this Friday!

Members don't see this ad :)
I worried myself so much hoping for a call last Friday that around 2 pm I stress-ate a ton of food and then stress-napped for about 2 hours. Can't wait to do it again this Friday!
HAHA! I kept waiting for the call on Thursday and Friday, also. I didn't really do the binge eating though.

I'm still waiting on my II, I've gotten a few invites from other schools out of state but not OSU or OU

Nope. They told us between 2 and 3 weeks. So, for me it will be 3 weeks on Thursday 11/06. I hope to hear from them soon.
It will be three weeks for me this Thursday too! I even called Sarah and left a message, but she never called back.

So are the majority of those getting the early interviews either OOS or elite-stat IS students? To those that got the interview invites already, would you all mind posting up your IS/OOS status and your stats?

I received a call this afternoon from a Dr Stewart offering me admission for the next class today. This was very exiting and a big relief. This is my first acceptance of the cycle and so I'll definitely be in A program next year. Good luck to all the other applicants.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all those who got accepted! Has anyone received a call for an II recently? I've been complete for about a week now and I was just curious.

I got the call this afternoon as well! I'm so happy.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all those who got accepted! Has anyone received a call for an II recently? I've been complete for about a week now and I was just curious.
Been waiting about a month. I've been updating them as to what I've been doing since I submitted my secondary; shadowing hours, volunteer, ECs, etc... Hoping to hear back soon, I've got a couple other interviews so far but am hopeful for OSU.

Congrats to those who were accepted! Would you all mind sharing your stats with us??

Been waiting about a month. I've been updating them as to what I've been doing since I submitted my secondary; shadowing hours, volunteer, ECs, etc... Hoping to hear back soon, I've got a couple other interviews so far but am hopeful for OSU.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Congrats to those who were accepted! Would you all mind sharing your stats with us??

I posted my stats earlier in this thread. Honestly, they're adequate but not super-competitive. What I think they liked about me was that I wrote and talked about how medicine personally changed my life as a patient, what lessons I learned from shadowing/volunteering in Oklahoma, and what the OSU-COM students I've interacted with in my undergrad years taught me about medicine.

TLDR: OSU-COM cares about more than stats, which is awesome.
Edit: If I can get in, you all can too, so don't get frustrated and good luck to all of you!

Hey everyone! I was referred to this thread by an OSU-COM graduate, and I'm glad I found it. This school is my top choice, and it's the first one I have received an interview from. Here are some stats for those interested:

In-State; sGPA: 3.65; cGPA: 3.77; MCAT: 25
Tons on extra curricular school involvement, both MD & DO shadowing/interning experiences. I do not have any research experience.

I submitted my secondary on 10/22 and got a call for an interview on 11/6, so about 2 weeks later. My interview is this next Tuesday on 11/18. Super nervous, but super excited about it. From what I see, it's a pretty relaxed interview. Anyone else have this interview date? Or share any general tips? Thanks!

Hey everyone! I was referred to this thread by an OSU-COM graduate, and I'm glad I found it. This school is my top choice, and it's the first one I have received an interview from. Here are some stats for those interested:

Tons on extra curricular school involvement, both MD & DO shadowing/interning experiences. I do not have any research experience.

I submitted my secondary on 10/22 and got a call for an interview on 11/6, so about 2 weeks later. My interview is this next Tuesday on 11/18. Super nervous, but super excited about it. From what I see, it's a pretty relaxed interview. Anyone else have this interview date? Or share any general tips? Thanks!
Congratulations on your well-deserved interview invitation. Your stats are very solid and competitive for OSU. It is incredibly relaxed as far as the environment. Everyone will be very positive. The lunch is much better than the one OU provides, although that shouldn't be an important factor. Just be able to explain the things on your application and you will be fine. They are there to get to know you.

I know you'll be nervous, because it's a med school interview--but don't be nervous. Totally relaxed interview day. Just know your application and why you want to go here. They won't know your gpa/MCAT until after you interview, if you weren't aware.

Congrats on your interview, I hope all goes well! What day were you complete and get the email from OSU saying you are complete?

Congrats on your interview, I hope all goes well! What day were you complete and get the email from OSU saying you are complete?

Well, I submitted my secondary on 10/22 and received an email on 10/23 saying they had received my materials. I figured it was just an automated thing. I never got another email saying my application was under review or anything like that, though. Just the interview call. And thanks to everyone for their encouraging words!

II for next Thursday! Just received the call, so excited! Can anyone who's had an interview fill me in on how it went? Questions they asked/what the day consisted of?

Does anyone know how many interviews/acceptances OSU gives per year?

II for next Thursday! Just received the call, so excited! Can anyone who's had an interview fill me in on how it went? Questions they asked/what the day consisted of?

My interview is on Tuesday. If I remember, I will try to post on here and give some tips and an overview on what I was asked! As for acceptances, I've heard the class size is around 115-120ish I believe.

Does anyone know how many interviews/acceptances OSU gives per year?
115 seats/class. Some acceptances will be for dual-degree students that will actually be in the following year's class. I think they interview around double that.

115 seats/class. Some acceptances will be for dual-degree students that will actually be in the following year's class. I think they interview around double that.
Thanks, really hope to get accepted here

Or maybe, just maybe, you guys will both get in? There's more than one spot. With that competitive attitude, you will not fit in at OSU

anyone know how many more rounds of interviews they will do before the end of the year?

I would think they would be sending out the last invites for an interview this calendar year by the end of this week (if they haven't sent them all out already) they don't have to worry about doing it with the short week next week. Since they usually give 2-3 weeks between interview invite and the actual interview I think it would be cutting it close for any invites for December to come after the Thanksgiving break. They usually do Wed, Thur and Fri interviews but this week they also had them on Monday and Tuesday. I don't know if they are cramming them in before the holiday or if they changed their schedule this year. I would think it'd be a bit worrisome to send out invites for invitations between Thanksgiving and Christmas just because of the combination of final schedules and holidays, but who knows?

To give you an idea of the time frame from last year- me, my wife and about 5 other OSU graduate students got our interview invitations the week before the Christmas break and the earliest interviews available were the first week of February.

Interviewed here today. Highly impressed! Interview went very well, the interviewers made it very relaxed and were really nice. Everyone I interviewed with were also really nice and enjoyable to be around. Very hopeful for an acceptance