Philadelphia COM - Philadelphia (PCOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know when white coat occurs for 2013? I've seen some speculation but not sure how accurate the "first week of classes" is?

Thanks! -Vee

White coat is the Saturday after your second exam, so mid October.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if there are any seats left? I'm mailing in my secondary fee today. I'm just scared that I'm doing this for nothing, I think I'm a competitive candidate. I didn't really know or think of Osteopathic medicine until I started talking to a couple osteopaths who convinced me that it was a really unique perspective on medicine. Thus my late application. 3.67 cGPA, 3.51 sGPA, 29S balanced MCAT.

There are seats left. Class is probably around 3/4 of the way full. Not sure if they have started wait listing or not yet, but they will continue to interview through beginning of March. You are definitely competitive overall, so applying is not for nothing, but it's hard to say so late in the game when there are not many seats left and it gets more competitive.

Good luck!

White coat is the Saturday after your second exam, so mid October.

That seems odd. Do a lot of people drop out early on and they do this to make sure only those planning on sticking around have a white coat ceremony?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I did get an acceptance from LECOM Erie and I am more than happy to go there.

However, I am curious about my other DO choices such as PCOM.

I have not heard back from PCOM at all. I sent in a letter of interest this week and they said they will add it to my file for further review. I wonder if they will give me an interview invite.

Why is PCOM so competitive compared to other DO schools?

LECOM is the only school that invited me to interview early and accept me without hesitation (which I am most thankful/grateful for). I have not interviewed at OTHER schools.

Last edited:
That seems odd. Do a lot of people drop out early on and they do this to make sure only those planning on sticking around have a white coat ceremony?

Not really odd...a bunch of schools choose to hold White Coat at a different time other than orientation. NYCOM for example doesn't do white coat until before you begin rotations, unless that has changed since I interviewed there. Don't really think it has to do with being worried about people dropping out....the rate is very low during the first semester.

PCOM has a lot going on during orientation week, including student events during the weekend before you start class, so I would have personally found it inconvenient to have my family down when I was trying to get to know my classmates. Also, the ceremony occurs after what some would argue is the hardest test so it is something to look forward for. PCOM also sets up nice information sessions and demonstrations in the cadaver lab for your family and I think it is much nicer to have a grasp on the buildings and your professors before your family comes to visit.

All in all, it doesn't really matter when White Coat is...I wouldn't worry too much about it. You don't really need your coat at all in the beginning of first term, so it won't be an inconvenience.

Not really odd...a bunch of schools choose to hold White Coat at a different time other than orientation. NYCOM for example doesn't do white coat until before you begin rotations, unless that has changed since I interviewed there. Don't really think it has to do with being worried about people dropping out....the rate is very low during the first semester.

PCOM has a lot going on during orientation week, including student events during the weekend before you start class, so I would have personally found it inconvenient to have my family down when I was trying to get to know my classmates. Also, the ceremony occurs after what some would argue is the hardest test so it is something to look forward for. PCOM also sets up nice information sessions and demonstrations in the cadaver lab for your family and I think it is much nicer to have a grasp on the buildings and your professors before your family comes to visit.

All in all, it doesn't really matter when White Coat is...I wouldn't worry too much about it. You don't really need your coat at all in the beginning of first term, so it won't be an inconvenience.

ah I see. I guess I'm just more used to Allopathic schools where you need your white coat fairly early on because you start seeing standardized patients and shadowing physicians. I'm fine with it

ah I see. I guess I'm just more used to Allopathic schools where you need your white coat fairly early on because you start seeing standardized patients and shadowing physicians. I'm fine with it

You'll start your SPs in the beginning of September when you usually have your coat anyway. You'll get sized during orientation week and then it takes a few weeks to come in. if you don't because yours is off being embroidered or tailored, then you can always borrow one from student affairs whenever you need.

No love from PCOM :( went complete in November and havent heard a peep...anyone else in this boat?
27mcat 3.75ns 3.6 science

Last years PCOM thread had plenty of action but this year seems to be slow. Any updates anyone?

Members don't see this ad :)
No love from PCOM :( went complete in November and havent heard a peep...anyone else in this boat?
27mcat 3.75ns 3.6 science

I've been complete since September and nary a peep. It's a bummer because PCOM is at the top of my list.

I still have hope though!

Does anyone have an upcoming interview?

I was complete at the end of October and was recently offered an interview for the beginning of February... very thankful and excited!

Still no word yet. Completed in October. 3.2 sgpa, 3.4 overall. 26Q. (9 ps, 8 vr, 9 bs). Still have a shot at this point? Or should I go ahead and plan to retake MCAT?

I just submitted my supplemental for PCOM (I know this is kinda late) and just wanted to know how competitive I am with my stat.

Here's my somewhat summarized profile.

Graduated with Biology and Chemistry
Magna Cum Laude
University Honors
3.7 GPA
3.56 science
26 MCAT

Head scribe, emergency room scribe
research
supplemental instructor, tutor
medical volunteer in Nepal

and other student organizations while in school

how competitive do you guys think I am?

I just submitted my supplemental for PCOM (I know this is kinda late) and just wanted to know how competitive I am with my stat.

Here's my somewhat summarized profile.

Graduated with Biology and Chemistry
Magna Cum Laude
University Honors
3.7 GPA
3.56 science
26 MCAT

Head scribe, emergency room scribe
research
supplemental instructor, tutor
medical volunteer in Nepal

and other student organizations while in school

how competitive do you guys think I am?

We are basically the same applicant! lol. I submitted mine a couple days ago too so we'll see what happens. What's the process? Do you get a complete e-mail or do you just wait? I feel like a terrible person for not submitting earlier, I really would love to go to PCOM

We are basically the same applicant! lol. I submitted mine a couple days ago too so we'll see what happens. What's the process? Do you get a complete e-mail or do you just wait? I feel like a terrible person for not submitting earlier, I really would love to go to PCOM

Very cool!

It takes them about 2 weeks just to process it. If you sent it in 2 days ago, they should have your supplemental stuff now.

Let me know if you do find out!!

I have a question concerning the Deans/Committee letter for PCOM.

I asked my undergraduate institution and they said they don't provide a letter that would state I graduated in good standing and without any disciplinary action etc. They said I would need to provide them with a document from the school in question (PCOM) detailing what they need.

Is anyone able to provide me with some clarity on what is required in this letter? I graduated from UG 10+ years ago and the degree I was awarded isn't offered at my undergrad any longer (Liberal Studies) so I am unable to go to the Dean of such major.

Thanks!

I also graduated from UG 10+ years ago and had a problem getting the letter from my premed advisor there. I reached out to the dean of Student affairs and was able to get a letter from him. I also reached out to one of my former professors who is now an advisor in the department from which I received my major and got a letter from him as well. Just keep trying and I am sure you will get something. Oh, and I did forward the Dean and the advisor the information about the requirement from PCOM. Not sure if it mattered or aided them in any way, but I sent it anyway. Good luck!

I have a question concerning the Deans/Committee letter for PCOM.

I asked my undergraduate institution and they said they don't provide a letter that would state I graduated in good standing and without any disciplinary action etc. They said I would need to provide them with a document from the school in question (PCOM) detailing what they need.

Is anyone able to provide me with some clarity on what is required in this letter? I graduated from UG 10+ years ago and the degree I was awarded isn't offered at my undergrad any longer (Liberal Studies) so I am unable to go to the Dean of such major.

Thanks!

hold on, this might be a stupid question. A letter from the dean is REQUIRED?

This has been discussed many times throughout this thread. Use the search function; a lot of people have posted how they got their letter. Mine was from the Office of Student Ethics at my undergrad university; so not necessarily from the dean. But it did take a while to get it.
My registrars office was speaking Greek while PCOM's admission office was speaking French. Finally they spoke today and apparently I need to get 2 letters to meet the requirement. Fun fact is the registrar cannot promise me that I will get a Dean's letter stating I had no disciplinary action while I attended undergrad. I am sooooo glad I started this process now instead of May/June because it's looking like a cluster.

P.S. I tried the search function, but it didn't help my specific situation as there was a big lack of communication going on :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, how many letters of recommendation did you guys sent in?

Out of curiosity, how many letters of recommendation did you guys sent in?

I ended up sending in 9. I had 7 already and my UG school sent 2 letters because I wasn't sure which one would satisfy PCOM's requirement.

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation or if anyone has received this response as well...I had an interview with PCOM in November, and didn't receive a rejection nor an acceptance, but a "we want to see your grades from your fall semester." This makes sense because I am currently in a masters program. I sent in my fall transcript at the end of December, so I am waiting to hear back from them. Does anyone know how long it will take for them to mail their decision? Would a 3.4 in a biomedical masters program be a positive push toward acceptance? Thanks!

Me too! I have been complete since August.

I have been complete since October and have not heard anything....when should I start losing hope for an ii...February? I have pretty good stats and have received two other DO interviews.

Has anyone who applied to the DO/PhD (CMB) program, who has already been accepted into the DO program or not, heard anything back about interviews for the joint program? I remember they said that they were supposed to begin sending out interview invites around the beginning of February...haven't heard anything about it since around October, though.

Has anyone who applied to the DO/PhD (CMB) program, who has already been accepted into the DO program or not, heard anything back about interviews for the joint program? I remember they said that they were supposed to begin sending out interview invites around the beginning of February...haven't heard anything about it since around October, though.

I applied for the dual degree. I am still waiting for an interview for the DO program. The admissions office told me that they consider each program separately. I assume that means you need to be invited to interview for the medical degree before the PhD portion. But I could be wrong. If anyone has anymore information about how the selection process goes that would be great!

I applied for the dual degree. I am still waiting for an interview for the DO program. The admissions office told me that they consider each program separately. I assume that means you need to be invited to interview for the medical degree before the PhD portion. But I could be wrong. If anyone has anymore information about how the selection process goes that would be great!

Precisely, they told me that you need to be accepted to the DO program first, and from that pool they select applicants to interview for the combined program. I was accepted back in September and sent in my supplemental materials for the DO/PhD as soon as they sent them out, but had to fight to even get an acknowledgement of receipt of my materials. Just wondering if anyone else heard anything yet...getting anxious here!

Precisely, they told me that you need to be accepted to the DO program first, and from that pool they select applicants to interview for the combined program. I was accepted back in September and sent in my supplemental materials for the DO/PhD as soon as they sent them out, but had to fight to even get an acknowledgement of receipt of my materials. Just wondering if anyone else heard anything yet...getting anxious here!

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation or if anyone has received this response as well...I had an interview with PCOM in November, and didn't receive a rejection nor an acceptance, but a "we want to see your grades from your fall semester." This makes sense because I am currently in a masters program. I sent in my fall transcript at the end of December, so I am waiting to hear back from them. Does anyone know how long it will take for them to mail their decision? Would a 3.4 in a biomedical masters program be a positive push toward acceptance? Thanks!
Chances are that your grades were not in before mid-december, meaning you might be receiving a letter in the mail by next week with a final decision. I mention this because I called admissions and they said they will meet "at the end of this month", which is this week. I believe the trend is that they've been meeting on wednesdays, but I could be wrong. Keep your fingers crossed. Hopefully last semester's grades will get you in. Don't hesitate to call or email admissions to simply ask when they'll be meeting to make a decision. They probably told you when you'd hear back during your interview day, and considering that they pushed your decision date back, I don't think they'll mind updating you with their new decision date if you call or send them an email. If my information is wrong, please let me know. Cheers!

God Damnit I just wanted to get interviewed here. Omm sounds really exciting and interesting to use in clinical practice...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Any late applicants (dec/jan) out there who have heard anything from admissions?

I applied a couple weeks back, haven't heard anything yet but I did send in a letter of interest. I'm trying to get together a couple more LoRs to send in but this proving rather difficult.

Hey guys, I did get an acceptance from LECOM Erie and I am more than happy to go there.

However, I am curious about my other DO choices such as PCOM.

I have not heard back from PCOM at all. I sent in a letter of interest this week and they said they will add it to my file for further review. I wonder if they will give me an interview invite.

Why is PCOM so competitive compared to other DO schools?

LECOM is the only school that invited me to interview early and accept me without hesitation (which I am most thankful/grateful for). I have not interviewed at OTHER schools.

I'M IN THE EXACT SAME BOAT AS YOU. I'm VERY interested in PCOM and completed my application wayyyy back in September (or late August?) but haven't heard anything. People are probably interested in it for two reasons: 1) it's in Philadelphia near tons of great schools 2) PCOM's been around for over 100 years.

I applied a couple weeks back, haven't heard anything yet but I did send in a letter of interest. I'm trying to get together a couple more LoRs to send in but this proving rather difficult.

My supplement was confirmed 1/3/13, and I have still yet to hear back.

Last edited:
I know PCOM doesn't require a DO letter--any sdn acceptances without one?
I didnt have a DO letter and got accepted. However they did grill me on that durring the interview. So if you dont have one, be ready to explain why, as well as show off how much you know about the osteopathic philosophy.

Anyone go to the Feb 4th Interview date? It looks like they are every two weeks since someone above has an II on Feb 18th.

Anymore upcoming interviews?

Anyone go to the Feb 4th Interview date? It looks like they are every two weeks since someone above has an II on Feb 18th.

Anymore upcoming interviews?

Interviews are still going on Monday-Thursday, usually with morning and afternoon slots. Not sure when the last date will be, but usually go through March.