Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So, a former classmate/good friend stayed with me for 4 days during an extended working interview at another clinic in town. He got the job and is now apartment hunting. He asked me if I'd like a roommate. It's been a long time since I've had a roommate that wasn't four-legged, but I do have the extra bedroom and I do like him and the extra $600 a month would be really nice...
Nope.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, the move south has been a fun one! lots of work.. got bumped a year for taking pre reqs due to financial aid issues but starting those again in summer session or fall session, the quickest i can :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have any tips on asking for a raise? I think I want to put in my two weeks for sure if I don't get one. I just found out that our new hires (with 0-30 days experience) are making equal to a dollar more an hour than I am with 3 years experience. Le sigh.

Does anyone have any tips on asking for a raise? I think I want to put in my two weeks for sure if I don't get one. I just found out that our new hires (with 0-30 days experience) are making equal to a dollar more an hour than I am with 3 years experience. Le sigh.
Girl, dump that place like a bad habit. You seem to keep running into problems with the management style and will get more frustrated the longer you stay.

Girl, dump that place like a bad habit. You seem to keep running into problems with the management style and will get more frustrated the longer you stay.
I know, I know....I'm just attached to my coworkers :( Plus, something about sitting around for the next month and a half makes me uneasy, even though relaxing before school can't be a bad thing. I'm assuming they'd deny my request anyways because I'm not worth any extra investment due to my leaving in a month. I'm just irritated beyond belief that I could have been making more this entire time...

I know, I know....I'm just attached to my coworkers :( Plus, something about sitting around for the next month and a half makes me uneasy, even though relaxing before school can't be a bad thing. I'm assuming they'd deny my request anyways because I'm not worth any extra investment due to my leaving in a month. I'm just irritated beyond belief that I could have been making more this entire time...

Then don't sit? You can always stand or sleep?

Or walk? Or jog? Or run?

Or drive? Or fly?

Fly in a hot air balloon....

The possibilities are endless. You don't have to sit! :p

Reactions: 3 users
Then don't sit? You can always stand or sleep?

Or walk? Or jog? Or run?

Or drive? Or fly?

Fly in a hot air balloon....

The possibilities are endless. You don't have to sit! :p
Sleeping sounds like a better choice tbh.

Running...just no:barf:

I've been sitting around for a month already and it's great. Definitely recommend. Might be your last chance to do it.

I've been sitting around for a month already and it's great. Definitely recommend. Might be your last chance to do it.
I sooooo want to sit around for a month. Soooo want to sooooooo bad.

Seriously, enjoy the time off while you can because you are a slave to the Feds for life after you graduate.

Reactions: 5 users
After the insanity of today (and I am on what people consider a "light" rotation), I really wish that I could sit around for a month, heck I would be thankful for one day right now.

I sooooo want to sit around for a month. Soooo want to sooooooo bad.

Seriously, enjoy the time off while you can because you are a slave to the Feds for life after you graduate.

I am sitting and sleeping as much as I can (when not packing). It's pretty sweet. I can tell my brain will turn to mush after a while though.

I can tell my brain will turn to mush after a while though.

It's outright embarrassing how much I've forgotten since my last small animal-based rotation more than seven months ago. I spent the day reading up on Felv/FIV, recommended vaccines and other totally noob stuff. I feel like an idiot.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's outright embarrassing how much I've forgotten since my last small animal-based rotation more than seven months ago. I spent the day reading up on Felv/FIV, recommended vaccines and other totally noob stuff. I feel like an idiot.

Where's a good place to read up on noob stuff like that? Or are you just looking at school material mostly?

Where's a good place to read up on noob stuff like that? Or are you just looking at school material mostly?

All over the place really...I looked at my school notes but also VIN Veterinary Partner and AAFP. I like my school notes and all, but at this point it's way too much detail and I just want the big points consolidated.

True. But it still irks me that a medical professional would ever call in because they just don't want to come in that day. If this vet is going to demand that her employees put work before their health, she should at least display the same degree of work ethic.

That reminds me of one of my bosses - he used to take off all the time on days when we were supposed to be working a two-doctor day. One morning, he came in and told me that he was "taking a mental health day" that day and just took off, leaving me to deal with double-booked appointments all day. Oh, and another day, he came in at 11 AM, saw all of 2 patients, and then told me he was going to go fishing for the rest of the day and took off. On our long day (scheduled 10.5 hours), he used to regularly take 5 hour lunches, while I always had to work straight through. I felt like I cared more about the hospital and patients than he did. I was kind of stuck there since no one was hiring vets at the time and I was the sole breadwinner. But YOU are NOT stuck there - get out NOW!!! People like that will use you up and throw you out - they see you as completely disposable. Good employers care about their employees and allow them to take proper care of their health. Yours is not a good employer.

I still can't remember all the rules about FeLV/FIV testing and which tests to do when you get a positive and blah, blah, blah.... yeah I need to make up some type of chart for how to proceed when you get a positive test for those two on the snap test.

I still can't remember all the rules about FeLV/FIV testing and which tests to do when you get a positive and blah, blah, blah.... yeah I need to make up some type of chart for how to proceed when you get a positive test for those two on the snap test.

Very few of my clients ever want to pay for the confirmation test so I promptly forgot all those details. The cat rescue we work with never does anything beyond a snap.

Very few of my clients ever want to pay for the confirmation test so I promptly forgot all those details. The cat rescue we work with never does anything beyond a snap.
If it's a young kitten, they should at least retest in a few months. I've seen kittens show up positive and then negative a few months later.

There's an awesome chart out there (can't remember where exactly I found it, but Google "Felv/FIV" or something) that shows you what to do :)

Flea/tick/deworming products. Just... know them. I remember nothing and continually have to look up what gets what parasites. And there's just so many damn products.

Flea/tick/deworming products. Just... know them. I remember nothing and continually have to look up what gets what parasites. And there's just so many damn products.

I think they intentionally come out with a new flea product every so many months just to **** with all of us.

Reactions: 1 users
Jeez, if even professors can't adult, I have no hope. Sometimes I think I'm adulting when I'm at work. Then I come home and fangirl out over the fact that Ript Apparel finally has a Loki t-shirt, and all my hard adulting work just gets washed away. I also find it hard to switch on the adulting when I'm at home on-call and playing WoW in my pyjamas and then the phone rings and it's an emergency.

Jeez, if even professors can't adult, I have no hope. Sometimes I think I'm adulting when I'm at work. Then I come home and fangirl out over the fact that Ript Apparel finally has a Loki t-shirt, and all my hard adulting work just gets washed away. I also find it hard to switch on the adulting when I'm at home on-call and playing WoW in my pyjamas and then the phone rings and it's an emergency.
This whole concept of being an adult isn't really 100% obtainable. We all have something that turns us into a little kid, and often that is a good thing. You just to know when it's ok to geek out and be a kid and when it's best to be a full on adult.

Adulting is overrated

you would think that....until you treated fleas in FL.

This totally reminded me to ask. Fleas are a huge issue in like all of Florida right? My uncle and aunt's vet says they don't need it (they are at least on HWP) and I was just like :eyebrow: I mean, we see a lot of issues with fleas up here, so I can only imagine how bad it is down there (and I've heard some stories). They're also buying into a lot of the grain free/organic stuff which I'm not (fine if people do, just eh to me), so they don't want like putting things on her (told them there are a bajillion options out there now to avoid that if that's what they want), but I just wanted to hear what it's actually like down there.

Flea/Tick/HWP is probably my favorite discussion to have with clients. Not sure why, but I love talking about all the products. I had a client accuse me of being a rep for a company once. :oops: Intestinal deworming, I'm not as great at, but pretty good.

Last edited:
This totally reminded me to ask. Fleas are a huge issue in like all of Florida right? My uncle and aunt's vet says they don't need it (they are on HWP) and I was just like :eyebrow: I mean, we see a lot of issues with fleas up here, so I can only imagine how bad it is down there (and I've heard some stories). They're also buying into a lot of the grain free/organic stuff which I'm not (fine if people do, just eh to me), so they don't want like putting things on here (told them there are a bajillion options out there now to avoid that if that's what you want), but I just wanted to hear what it's actually like down there.

Flea/Tick/HWP is probably my favorite discussion to have with clients. Not sure why, but I love talking about all the products. I had a client accuse me of being a rep for a company once. :oops: Intestinal deworming, I'm not as great at, but pretty good.
They probably have fleas and don't know yet.

Really, people think that. And within a few months, their dogs and homes are infested.

Ticks are only an issue in certain areas. But Tampa, FL is the flea capital OF THE WORLD.

It's bad. 75% of cases are skin. 90% of those are fleas. the other 10% are atopy, usually

They probably have fleas and don't know yet.

Really, people think that. And within a few months, their dogs and homes are infested.

Ticks are only an issue in certain areas. But Tampa, FL is the flea capital OF THE WORLD.

It's bad. 75% of cases are skin. 90% of those are fleas. the other 10% are atopy, usually

They're like 30-45 minutes outside Tampa... I totally told them all of this, so we'll see if they take my advice and at least look into like Nexgard or Bravecto or heck, switch to Trifexis if than want an all in one. They didn't seem keen on a tick product, which that I can get. I admit I don't worry so much about in the winter in Philly and just use Advantage Multi or Sentinel in the winter.

They're like 30-45 minutes outside Tampa... I totally told them all of this, so we'll see if they take my advice and at least look into like Nexgard or Bravecto or heck, switch to Trifexis if than want an all in one. They didn't seem keen on a tick product, which that I can get. I admit I don't worry so much about in the winter in Philly and just use Advantage Multi or Sentinel in the winter.
Activyl is pretty effective, too. They could come see me if they need more input ;)

Ugh, that is seriously my least favorite discussion to have. Simply because it seems most people where I was just didn't give a flying ****. There aren't really fleas in the desert. There aren't much ticks either though we did see some in dogs that went up north or went hiking in nearby mountains. And when I first started as a tech, heartworm was never seen, however after Hurricane Katrina, all the migration of pets made heartworm become more of a "thing" in AZ and we started to see quite an increase in positive dogs.

But damn I hate discussing this stuff with people because 85% of the time we would get, "you are just wanting money", "you get a kickback from the drug company if you sell this to me", "heartworm is a made up disease", "my dog doesn't go outside anyway".... it just became a frustrating pain in the ass really quickly.

Ugh, that is seriously my least favorite discussion to have. Simply because it seems most people where I was just didn't give a flying ****. There aren't really fleas in the desert. There aren't much ticks either though we did see some in dogs that went up north or went hiking in nearby mountains. And when I first started as a tech, heartworm was never seen, however after Hurricane Katrina, all the migration of pets made heartworm become more of a "thing" in AZ and we started to see quite an increase in positive dogs.

But damn I hate discussing this stuff with people because 85% of the time we would get, "you are just wanting money", "you get a kickback from the drug company if you sell this to me", "heartworm is a made up disease", "my dog doesn't go outside anyway".... it just became a frustrating pain in the ass really quickly.
we may have taken pics of mosquitoes when they get in the hospital and placed them on our fb page so clients can see that they do come in.

honestly? It's really rewarding. You put the animal on flea meds, treat the environment and give antihistamines and they are CURED.
haha oh i meant for my dog ! i dont want crazy fleas ;) but we religiously use product, and have a couple of others available if needed

fwiw, if they are nervous, nexgard manufacturer offers a first dose free (though I'm sure it depends on the clinic)

I'll let them know to look into that. I'm currently using it on my guy and so far I like it (and he does too!). Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I thought it was a little ridiculous.

we may have taken pics of mosquitoes when they get in the hospital and placed them on our fb page so clients can see that they do come in.

We had a picture of the worms actually being extracted from a dog's heart in the exam room where the lady told me "Heartworm is a made up disease for vets to make more money off of people."

We had a picture of the worms actually being extracted from a dog's heart in the exam room where the lady told me "Heartworm is a made up disease for vets to make more money off of people."

I can honestly say I have not heard this one. People usually just either say they're not interested, can't afford it and other things like that.

I can honestly say I have not heard this one. People usually just either say they're not interested, can't afford it and other things like that.
all. the. time. I've taken to just giving them handouts when that happens. And handouts about garlic toxicity because they all think that prevents HW disease.

client had been using various natural flea remedies. None of them were working well because florida. kept trying. finally reached out for help and got her to try Cheristin (elanco topical for cats).

"it's the best product evar!"

no, its just got proven effectiveness.

all. the. time. I've taken to just giving them handouts when that happens. And handouts about garlic toxicity because they all think that prevents HW disease.

Ugh. I remember getting into a discussion on this with someone on another forum. She also apparently fosters dogs and lives in central FL and this is how she prevents heart worm disease in her animals. I think she also used like apple cider vinegar for fleas...She was also a firm believer that dogs are obligate carnivores (reasoning, their jaws don't move side to side like a cow...) and raw food diets for every animal, so I just ended up giving up.