Random Stuffs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to have to ask the food pictures be nipped in the bud. I'm hungry, everything including food in this house is packed in boxes, and I left my keys in my parents' room earlier so I can't go get food without waking up the dogs :bang:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I talk about being on the right side of the civil war and not a single one of you says "So grandpa LIS, what was the civil war like, anyway?"

Failures, all of you.

Reactions: 4 users
For those of you who might remember my displeasure with Jurassic World but my love of Jurassic Park with my men Sam Neill and Jeff G... :X3:

13245354_10153433755127471_4662637560236181193_n.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no good Mexican east of arizona. Tex-mex doesn't even compare to Mexican food. That'd be like telling someone used to Chicago deep dish pizza to order domino's. Sure, it is ok, but it just isn't anywhere near as good and you'll still miss Chicago deep dish (or Mexican food in this case).

You don't find real Mexican at fast food restaurants.
We have a lot of excellent Mexican places in SE PA due to a very large Mexican population. Their is even a neighborhood lovingly referred to as "little Mexico". My friend who is Mexican, born there and goes back at least once a year, says many of these places have food just as good as he had in Mexico. Those little restaurants are my favorite places to eat.

I feel like this was a bit too whiny to be a rant.

I've come to the conclusion that I'm never sleeping again. I did not sleep at all last night. Not a wink. Since 5AM, Ive been helping mom and dad move into their new home. We called it a day an hour ago and we're not even finished. It was pouring rain and windy all dang day at that. Now, we're getting up at five again. And I'm STILL not tired!!

Members don't see this ad :)
If someone can fix that gif, please please do

Wow, grits are corn and they're goopy?

I honestly had no idea.

I imagined some sort of wheat-based thing that was ovoid shaped (like the size of peanuts). Pure imagination though.

Wow, grits are corn and they're goopy?

I honestly had no idea.

I imagined some sort of wheat-based thing that was ovoid shaped (like the size of peanuts). Pure imagination though.
You may possibly be thinking of Orzo pasta??
Depositphotos_12348503_s.jpg
2321704.jpg

Maybe? Hmm.

I first tried grits when on a Florida trip after high school, they were gross at that restaurant, but I came to love them while at LSU (both breakfast type and dinner shrimp-and-grits etc.). I have always HATED oatmeal though--seems weird since theyre both similar textures, but I'm just not a fan of many sweet foods so oatmeal, a hot steaming bowl of sweet mush, always grossed me out. Even the smell of it cooking in a microwave kinda makes me want to gag sometimes. Making grits into a sweet version would be a no-go for me, I had no idea that was a thing. :vomit:

You may possibly be thinking of Orzo pasta??
Depositphotos_12348503_s.jpg
2321704.jpg

Maybe? Hmm.

I first tried grits when on a Florida trip after high school, they were gross at that restaurant, but I came to love them while at LSU (both breakfast type and dinner shrimp-and-grits etc.). I have always HATED oatmeal though--seems weird since theyre both similar textures, but I'm just not a fan of many sweet foods so oatmeal, a hot steaming bowl of sweet mush, always grossed me out. Even the smell of it cooking in a microwave kinda makes me want to gag sometimes. Making grits into a sweet version would be a no-go for me, I had no idea that was a thing. :vomit:

I want shrimp and grits so darn bad now. I WILL find some before the end of the day.

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to let you all know about this fun summer opportunity.

Cornell University is offering a free online class on shark biodiversity and conservation this summer. I personally know 3 of the instructors and they are all wonderful!

Here's some news about the course:
https://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2016/05/learn-about-sharks-bite-sized-pieces-new-mooc

Here's the link to enroll:
https://www.edx.org/course/sharks-global-biodiversity-biology-cornellx-uqx-bioee101x#!
Enrolled! The start date is perfect timing too :D

Reactions: 1 user
My day required an entire extra day to finish itself off yesterday. Worked the typical 11-12 hours and then followed it with 3 hours of client communications and 5 hours of paperwork. And thus, my day had its own day all in one.

Cornell University is offering a free online class on shark biodiversity and conservation this summer. I personally know 3 of the instructors and they are all wonderful!

https://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/2016/05/learn-about-sharks-bite-sized-pieces-new-mooc

https://www.edx.org/course/sharks-global-biodiversity-biology-cornellx-uqx-bioee101x#!
Thanks for posting this! I've been looking for something fun to do this summer. Enrolled! :D

I soooooo wish I could do this! But I'll be in Europe for the first week and won't have a computer :arghh: so sad!!

I enrolled also :) Something more fun to work on once my online Accounting starts, haha.

Somehow, despite being terrified of it in school, I have become the Wizard of Anesthesia at my current practice. Of course, this is a practice where there is a single anesthetic protocol for just about every patient, so the bar was set pretty low to start with.... But the weird thing is that I find myself liking designing protocols...

I'm probably my parents' favorite (human) child - so to stay in the lead, I'm cleaning their house while they're away at my cousin's graduation and I'm stuck at their house dog-sitting my dog sibling (if my mother is his "mother" does that mean he's my dog-brother?).

I even made cookies. Experimented a little too by putting some dried cherries in the family chocolate chip recipe.

I went to my cousins HS graduation party this weekend and her grandmother on the other side of the family told her, "you should go to vet school because you love animals and vets make TONS of money!" I couldn't help myself and started laughing, only to be met with a look of pure shock. All it takes is a love of animals folks, and then you become a vet, and pretty soon you're rolling in wads of cash!

Reactions: 3 users
Ended up getting him a turquoise break away collar with orange fish bones on it. He looks great, though slightly grumpy about his new flair. :D

Reactions: 6 users
Just curious, but is there an actual purpose to the stethoscope scrunchy cover things? Two of the four doctors at my work use them and I just never knew if they used them for a reason or if they must just like the way they look.

Just curious, but is there an actual purpose to the stethoscope scrunchy cover things? Two of the four doctors at my work use them and I just never knew if they used them for a reason or if they must just like the way they look.

Maybe some additional protection to the stethoscope? Maybe. Only thing I can think they might do. Most people that I know who have those, just use them for decoration/because they like them.

I have a friend that has an allergy to the tubing (even though the tubes are usually latex free), so she has to use one. I've also been told they are also good for getting super dirty and spreading stuff between animals, but it's not like your average doctor/student disinfects the entire stethoscope between uses. I've seen some covers that are just tubes that slip over and are made entirely of rhinestones...so I think they can just be for style as well.

I wanted to get one because I hate the feeling of the tubing sticking to my skin if I'm not wearing a coat, but it's not the end of the world. Never got around to it.

Last edited:
I have a friend that has an allergy to the tubing (even though the tubes are usually latex free), so she has to use one. I've also been told they are also good for getting super dirty and spreading stuff between animals, but it's not like your average doctor/student disinfects the entire stethoscope between uses. I've seen some covers that are just tubes that slip over and are made entirely of rhinestones...so I think they can just be for style as well.

I wanted to get one because I hate the feeling of the tubing sticking to my skin if I'm not wearing a coat, but it's not the end of the world. Never got around to it.
That sticky feeling goes away with time with years of usage haha. Mine used to catch on my hair

I wipe mine down with alcohol between patients, every time! You're right though, I don't know how many of my classmates do that. I see the cover things to be awful fomites, especially those people that bring their stethoscopes into the OR, instead of having OR-specific ones.

I wipe mine down with alcohol between patients, every time! You're right though, I don't know how many of my classmates do that. I see the cover things to be awful fomites, especially those people that bring their stethoscopes into the OR, instead of having OR-specific ones.
I'll do it for a patient that I feel is particularly gross (or bleeding, or whatever), but I'm guilty of not doing it between every patient too. I've never even been told that is something we should be trying to do, either. Probably something I'm going to be more cognizant of

I swear people can't spell or even understand my name anymore. And it isn't a difficult name, it was actually an extremely common name when I was growing up.

I had read the oils in our skin will break down the rubber faster and make the tubing stiff.

Is it true? I dunno. If it's true how fast is fast? I dunno.

Tomorrow is orientation day downtown for my new job. I'm not actually working downtown, but I have to get my badge and do all the fun HR stuff before I mosey on over to the state lab in a neighboring town.

Here's a random fun bit about the inanity of my recent job search: I applied for an internship earlier in the spring at a county health department doing mosquito control and surveillance. I didn't get that internship because I was told that I wasn't "experienced" enough. Okay. Well, around the same time I applied to a state job (non-internship) doing the same type of work but with greater responsibilities, including the oversight of a lab intern. I got hired to do that job. Whoever was hired for that county internship will be calling me for guidance on collecting and processing their specimens over the coming months and that intern will be coming up to train with me and my boss at the lab I'll be working in. While I'm happy that I'll have the better job (it literally pays twice as much and I'll have a shorter drive), it is a little humorous that I wasn't even interviewed for the internship. :)

Tomorrow is orientation day downtown for my new job. I'm not actually working downtown, but I have to get my badge and do all the fun HR stuff before I mosey on over to the state lab in a neighboring town.

Here's a random fun bit about the inanity of my recent job search: I applied for an internship earlier in the spring at a county health department doing mosquito control and surveillance. I didn't get that internship because I was told that I wasn't "experienced" enough. Okay. Well, around the same time I applied to a state job (non-internship) doing the same type of work but with greater responsibilities, including the oversight of a lab intern. I got hired to do that job. Whoever was hired for that county internship will be calling me for guidance on collecting and processing their specimens over the coming months and that intern will be coming up to train with me and my boss at the lab I'll be working in. While I'm happy that I'll have the better job (it literally pays twice as much and I'll have a shorter drive), it is a little humorous that I wasn't even interviewed for the internship. :)

That's hilarious. Congrats Jess! :highfive:

Sounds like the government to me. Congrats on the job!