RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Spent my evening de-maggoting a cat. Happy birthday to me.
If it really is your birthday today, my cat (who does not have any maggots!) and I wish you a very "Happy Birthday." Just so you know.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, generally the routers and modems that companies provide are crappy.

especially if a combo item.

Not to mention they charge you to "rent" them.

You may ask what is compatible and get your own equipment to bring with you as you move

I have my own but since I moved north, the internet providers changed. At the time I purchased it in Philly, FiOS wasn't in the area yet and wasn't really sure it was going to happen anytime soon, so I didn't think to plan ahead. It may be compatible , I just need to double check. I was doing a quick scan on my phone earlier which is not nearly as efficient.

And as the lowly intern, I got to end my overnight shift submitting a head from someone's else case for rabies and it was covered with maggots.

I have my own but since I moved north, the internet providers changed. At the time I purchased it in Philly, FiOS wasn't in the area yet and wasn't really sure it was going to happen anytime soon, so I didn't think to plan ahead. It may be compatible , I just need to double check. I was doing a quick scan on my phone earlier which is not nearly as efficient.

And as the lowly intern, I got to end my overnight shift submitting a head from someone's else case for rabies and it was covered with maggots.
Is the head old? I thought once the brain started to age too much the test was likely non diagnostic? (I know you can't freeze them either, but since they are looking for holes and fat falls apart as it degrades... I know we got crap from the lab when one of our heads got stuck in the mail for a whole extra 12 hours so it got to the lab over 48 hours post mortum)

Getting sick on clinics sucks. Abdominal pain for a week, worse when I cough or breathe deep. Headaches and dizziness almost every day for a week. Woke up this morning with my throat so swollen I couldn't breathe. Huge lymph nodes, fever. What is wrong with me? :( Can't even go to the doctor because the one day I took off to go to urgent care (and just get a pregnancy test... thanks doc) I have to make up already.

Is the head old? I thought once the brain started to age too much the test was likely non diagnostic? (I know you can't freeze them either, but since they are looking for holes and fat falls apart as it degrades... I know we got crap from the lab when one of our heads got stuck in the mail for a whole extra 12 hours so it got to the lab over 48 hours post mortum)

I don't think so, but I honestly don't know. I legit was just told to prepare the head and knew nothing about who and when anyone was exposed which was great for the paperwork side of things.

Reactions: 1 user
Things aren't going so well in my relationship. I'm almost at my quitting point. I've tried really hard to adjust, but I can only take so much. And I've expressed this to him, but he thinks that there's something he can change to make it better. I disagree, and I think it might be time to move on....

And potty training my newly adopted dog is getting frustrating. Luckily we have hardwood floors. I've taken up all the rugs because he just loves to poop on the corners of them.

Things aren't going so well in my relationship. I'm almost at my quitting point. I've tried really hard to adjust, but I can only take so much. And I've expressed this to him, but he thinks that there's something he can change to make it better. I disagree, and I think it might be time to move on....

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that, PSILT. Good luck with whatever way things go.

My new job is actually pretty ****ty. I knew the vet was practicing awful SA medicine and surgery. I did not know the extent of the crappiness, nor the laws they were breaking.

I stepped in for my first real day yesterday. The quality of food animal medicine is also poor, but he truly believes that his practices of 28 years are wonderful, and far better than the piles of research that indicate otherwise. He believes it so much that his clients are completely on board. The man prefers to castrate calves at 6-700 lb. PREFERS IT. What the actual ****?

Anyway, he believes I cannot diagnose pregnancy in cattle, work a chute, or measure a bull's testicles. So there we are.

What is good about this scenario? I signed no contract.

I think one of my knees has next to nothing keeping it stable anymore and the other isn't too far behind.

Between that and my sacrum and hip bones still not being properly attached and aligned after the last pregnancy, I want a new skeleton. I swear the parts factory really screwed this assembly up. I want to cash in my lifetime guarantee.

Closest thing I've got I guess is insurance, and that won't start until the new job probationary period is up. Then I'll take these old bones in to the mechanic.

More honest:

I'm still awake and here because I has the sads.

I don't like it.

And all the reasons are things outside my control. Too big. Gotta just tackle all these things one step at a time. Just feels like each of these problems is the equivalent of digging my way out of the Grand Canyon equipped with only a teaspoon. For some of the problems, it will just take time and patience. For others, I can only start digging and hope that others join me.

I am sad in part though because I keep being confronted by the terrible reality that most of the people who ought to be helping would much rather either wait and see how much progress I can make by myself before joining in, keep on digging with a bone brush because "that's how it has always been done around here," or want to drop a few boulders in my path to laugh at someone else feeling the weight of the world.

I don't like this view of the world. It's too heavy. Too lonely. And it feels like I might never see it's end, unless I can find people willing to step back from themselves and look around and see not just that it is possible to work together, but that the journey and work will be so much faster. But with my current view, every one of these problems seems filled with granite and people who gave up on forward progress. I don't want to become one of them. But it is what is being asked of me on multiple fronts.

So. Just sad.

Ugh, I'm sorry to hear that, PSILT. Good luck with whatever way things go.

My new job is actually pretty ****ty. I knew the vet was practicing awful SA medicine and surgery. I did not know the extent of the crappiness, nor the laws they were breaking.

I stepped in for my first real day yesterday. The quality of food animal medicine is also poor, but he truly believes that his practices of 28 years are wonderful, and far better than the piles of research that indicate otherwise. He believes it so much that his clients are completely on board. The man prefers to castrate calves at 6-700 lb. PREFERS IT. What the actual ****?

Anyway, he believes I cannot diagnose pregnancy in cattle, work a chute, or measure a bull's testicles. So there we are.

What is good about this scenario? I signed no contract.

Ugh, I'm sorry scbf :( My boss can be pretty antiquated and it drives me nuts but I just do the best I can with what I have available to me. If he ever questions something (which usually he actually doesn't, probably just shakes his head behind my back about new kids from the ivory tower) I stand up for myself. I wonder if you could work something out with your new boss wherein you castrate calves at an appropriate age and he keeps doing it his way. As for him thinking you incompetent...well, I think that's probably normal for an old-timer with a fresh from academia new hire, unfortunately. Hang in there (or don't if it's too much!)

Last edited:
More honest:

I'm still awake and here because I has the sads.

I don't like it.

And all the reasons are things outside my control. Too big. Gotta just tackle all these things one step at a time. Just feels like each of these problems is the equivalent of digging my way out of the Grand Canyon equipped with only a teaspoon. For some of the problems, it will just take time and patience. For others, I can only start digging and hope that others join me.

I am sad in part though because I keep being confronted by the terrible reality that most of the people who ought to be helping would much rather either wait and see how much progress I can make by myself before joining in, keep on digging with a bone brush because "that's how it has always been done around here," or want to drop a few boulders in my path to laugh at someone else feeling the weight of the world.

I don't like this view of the world. It's too heavy. Too lonely. And it feels like I might never see it's end, unless I can find people willing to step back from themselves and look around and see not just that it is possible to work together, but that the journey and work will be so much faster. But with my current view, every one of these problems seems filled with granite and people who gave up on forward progress. I don't want to become one of them. But it is what is being asked of me on multiple fronts.

So. Just sad.
I'm sorry LoTF :( if you ever need to talk, I'm here for you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Last night was just horrible. I feel so very frustrated and incompetent and feel like I'm failing miserably compared to my internmates and I'm not looking forward to my review in September.

And I euthanized 3 more things.

Ugh, I'm sorry scbf :( My boss can be pretty antiquated and it drives me nuts but I just do the best I can with what I have available to me. If he ever questions something (which usually he actually doesn't, probably just shakes his head behind my back about new kids from the ivory tower) I stand up for myself. I wonder if you could work something out with your new boss wherein you castrate calves at an appropriate age and he keeps doing it his way. As for him thinking you incompetent...well, I think that's probably normal for an old-timer with a fresh from academic new hire, unfortunately. Hang in there (or don't if it's too much!)

Yeah, it's not really so much that he disagrees. I can handle a difference in opinion. It is that he has now told me I will not castrate calves the way I do it while I work for him, on top of other things. This isn't a normal antiquated ways kinda guy who thinks I'm green. He legitimately thinks I am a horrible food animal vet because in his opinion, I cannot do the things he does and I never will. When I stand up for myself, he won't talk and storms out.

He calls me sweetie when he thinks I'm doing something wrong, he throws hissy fits in front of clients, and a lot more.

He told me that if I can't respect his 28 years, I shouldn't come in on Monday.

Yeah, it's not really so much that he disagrees. I can handle a difference in opinion. It is that he has now told me I will not castrate calves the way I do it while I work for him.

This isn't a normal antiquated ways kinda guy who thinks I'm green. He legitimately thinks I am a horrible food animal vet because in his opinion, I cannot do the things he does and I never will. When I stand up for myself, he won't talk and storms out.

I would leave that place asap. Sounds he like he has a severe case of Old White Man Disease

Reactions: 8 users
Yeah, it's not really so much that he disagrees. I can handle a difference in opinion. It is that he has now told me I will not castrate calves the way I do it while I work for him, on top of other things. This isn't a normal antiquated ways kinda guy who thinks I'm green. He legitimately thinks I am a horrible food animal vet because in his opinion, I cannot do the things he does and I never will. When I stand up for myself, he won't talk and storms out.

He calls me sweetie when he thinks I'm doing something wrong, he throws hissy fits in front of clients, and a lot more.

....whoa, wtf. I don't think I would be able to deal with someone dictating how I practice and truly thinking me a terrible veterinarian. Is this the guy who was ready to buy you anything you wanted for the practice? I hope for your own sake you're considering his offer. Ew.

I think you just got Monday off...

Reactions: 16 users

Run. Don't walk. You can't fix this. I think differences of opinion are normal, but I wouldn't work for someone who straight up told me that I couldn't practice my medicine my way. My boss and I disagree at times, but she's never told me "You can't do X". And 'sweetie'? Nope. Nuh-uh. Feck off. Agreed with the diagnosis of Old White Man Syndrome.

Oof. Bosses who are that disrespectful right off the bat and who storm out instead of communicating don't get better. I hope you can get out of there!

Well I was half tempted to not go in, but he just made that decision for me. I have never worked with such a disrespectful dingus.

No lie, this is what he just sent me:

"Scb44f. U can meet me at the office at 6:30 AM. If u will listen and keep ur mouth shut, u might have a chance to keep ur job. Otherwise I will put ur things outside the front door. Pick them up before 8. Ur check is good either way. I need to know which one it is."

This is so ****ing hysterical. My fiance and I are going to pick up my things tonight.

Well I was half tempted to not go in, but he just made that decision for me. I have never worked with such a disrespectful dingus.

"Scb44f. U can meet me at the office at 6:30 AM. If u will listen and keep ur mouth shut, u might have a chance to keep ur job. Otherwise I will put ur things outside the front door. Pick them up before 8. Ur check is good either way. I need to know which one it is."

This is so ****ing hysterical. My fiance and I are going to pick up my things tonight.

I'm literally speechless.

Reactions: 3 users

Hahaha. Good riddance for real.

@scb44f, that is AWFUL! I'm so sorry, I can't fathom working for someone like that. Glad you don't have to deal with him anymore, but I'm sorry you ever had to in the first place!

Thanks for the support guys! I'm speechless, entertained, and scared ****less about what is going to happen from here. :barf:

Woah, that's unreal. I know you were excited about this opportunity too. A huge shame that he ended up being a toddler in disguise.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the support guys! I'm speechless, entertained, and scared ****less about what is going to happen from here. :barf:

You are *so* qualified for a job, you WILL find one, and it will be so much better. I mean, that's not much of an aspiration given what a god-awful pile of crap this guy and his practice are, so let's say that it will be astoundingly better.

Lord, people like this practice medicine and communicate with women. I feel bad if he has female techs and receptionists. Or a wife.

Reactions: 6 users
We had a cat come in (a previous patient of mine) dyspneic a few days ago. I tried to touch her to get a TPR and she started open mouth breathing. Threw her in Os cuz I was afraid I was going to kill her via stress. She slipped through the cracks and didn't get looked at for a while (we were super slammed). Ended up getting euthed, but I'm thinking I should have done something more to alert people of her presence/on triage. I don't think the outcome would have been any different if she had been looked at sooner, but the whole thing really shook my confidence. One of the staff docs talked me off the ledge but I'm still feeling really crappy about the whole situation :(

We had a cat come in (a previous patient of mine) dyspneic a few days ago. I tried to touch her to get a TPR and she started open mouth breathing. Threw her in Os cuz I was afraid I was going to kill her via stress. She slipped through the cracks and didn't get looked at for a while (we were super slammed). Ended up getting euthed, but I'm thinking I should have done something more to alert people of her presence/on triage. I don't think the outcome would have been any different if she had been looked at sooner, but the whole thing really shook my confidence. One of the staff docs talked me off the ledge but I'm still feeling really crappy about the whole situation :(
If there's a lesson to learn, then learn it. Otherwise, forget it and move on. Beating yourself up does no good.

Reactions: 4 users
@scb44f, you dodged a real bullet! I know you'll find something that fits you soon. :)

You are *so* qualified for a job, you WILL find one, and it will be so much better. I mean, that's not much of an aspiration given what a god-awful pile of crap this guy and his practice are, so let's say that it will be astoundingly better.

Lord, people like this practice medicine and communicate with women. I feel bad if he has female techs and receptionists. Or a wife.

Ugh, there's a private practice vet around where I worked who was super sexist and terrible like this. He would only hire techs if they were above a certain cup size and talked down to pretty much every female vet he saw (which is, you know, like 80% of vets). A ton of women I knew didn't realize he was such a sexist turdmuncher because he was always sweet as pie to the pretty girls so he could harass them.

The shelter vet I worked with had to call him on the phone once (I think one of our recently adopted animals was his new patient and he needed some medical info) and he was so condescending over the phone. She called him by his first name (as colleagues do) and he yelled at her to call him Dr. Turdmuncher. He asked her if she was okay being called by her first name and her response was basically "...Yes? Because that's my name and colleagues can do that???" He then repeatedly called her by her first name in the snottiest tone imaginable the whole time they were on the phone.

She talked **** about him to all of his drug reps and they all dropped him as a client, though. That guy sucks and ain't nobody got time for his sexist 1940's BS.

Reactions: 3 users
... and he yelled at her to call him Dr. Turdmuncher.
I need to check the RANT thread more often. Another hilarious (and descriptive) term that I have never heard before: "turdmuncher."

Ummm ... DVMs, DVM students, and DVM pre-vet students have uniquely special terms and wild vocabularies! Turdmuncher ... clever and hilarious at the same time ... hahaha! :)

Thanks lady!! He, astoundingly, has a wife, but she lives in Tulsa and this guy drives there most weekends (he graduated from OK State). Don't worry, he doesn't practice there. Their interactions are odd. I think their relationship is estranged and that he is crazy and drinks too much, but they are "together" for taxes and kids.

Why scared ****less? I mean, c'mon - it can only get better. :)

(I mean, I get being worried. Just trying to be positive.)

Haha thanks, LIS. My fiance (also a food animal vet) has started telling me I should look into starting my own clinic. I think it is a viable option. There aren't many people around here that are doing anything to develop herd management protocols, and no one really treats small ruminants and camelids with real respect. I can find a niche. It is just going to take some work, and maybe some time without funds... which is the scariest part.

Thanks lady!! He, astoundingly, has a wife, but she lives in Tulsa and this guy drives there most weekends (he graduated from OK State). Don't worry, he doesn't practice there. Their interactions are odd. I think their relationship is estranged and that he is crazy and drinks too much, but they are "together" for taxes and kids.

Well, if I pass an unhappy looking older woman in a grocery store, I will quietly wonder if it's because she is married to an egotistical asshat veterinarian from another state.

Haha thanks, LIS. My fiance (also a food animal vet) has started telling me I should look into starting my own clinic. I think it is a viable option. There aren't many people around here that are doing anything to develop herd management protocols, and no one really treats small ruminants and camelids with real respect. I can find a niche. It is just going to take some work, and maybe some time without funds... which is the scariest part.

Something will work out for you. It will. Just start looking and thinking and get that ball rolling. :)

Well, if I pass an unhappy looking older woman in a grocery store, I will quietly wonder if it's because she is married to an egotistical asshat veterinarian from another state.

Something will work out for you. It will. Just start looking and thinking and get that ball rolling. :)

Haha I kept calling him an asshat. My mom and her boyfriend looked it up on urban dictionary because they didn't know what it meant.

I am going to one of the county fairs on Thursday (sheep and goat shows) and Friday (pig show). Gotta woman up and talk to people.

We've been short staffed for a month, lost two employees who haven't been replaced yet, because somehow everything else is a higher priority than people actually being able to do their jobs. Scheduling miscommunication, it's my day off to study for the gre and I have to go in because co-worker is there alone and all **** has gone crazy. Grumble grumble.

The great thing is, boss lady who has been putting off and putting off scheduling interviews and won't let us do it (which is fine, just please do it yourself! It's been a month, did I mention that?), has been complaining TO NO END about us not getting stuff done. We don't have all shifts covered, and haven't for weeks. I am so sick of this.

Haha I kept calling him an asshat. My mom and her boyfriend looked it up on urban dictionary because they didn't know what it meant.

I am going to one of the county fairs on Thursday (sheep and goat shows) and Friday (pig show). Gotta woman up and talk to people.

Maybe @Doctor-S likes it as much as turdmuncher? :)

My coworkers are relentless with the MLM stuff. As annoying as the Facebook solicitations are, I can understand those and can ignore them. What drives me nuts is people using their work email to sell their products and bringing in inventory for people to look through and buy, doing business while on the clock and distracting everyone. But I seem to be the only one who finds that to be inappropriate. Like, it's crazy that I think it's not appropriate for people to shop on the clock. I'm the crazy one.