RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So the refrigerator died. Get a new one with an ice-maker and water. 8 hours later I finally get the stupid plumbing hook-ups done. I really hate plumbing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
So the refrigerator died. Get a new one with an ice-maker and water. 8 hours later I finally get the stupid plumbing hook-ups done. I really hate plumbing.
Ooo. In that case, wanna come and do mine since it's fresh in your skill set?

Reactions: 1 user
100mg of trazodone makes for a very snuggly post-op puppy. I just wish she wouldn't lay on my chest while I'm suffering from this awful cold.
But she needs to suck your heat and oxygen to feel better! You only exist to make sure she is comfortable after all. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
"Riiight. And let me guess, you believe Polio was eradicate by the Polio vaccine, right? The #1 quoted example. Except it's not true. Polio was already going away, and the vaccine had no impact in the speed of reduction of cases. "

"You can say I am ignorant all you like, but the data is not on your side. Vaccines have been shown over and over again to not even work. They've shown to cause incredible harm. "

"Vaccines are not a victim of their own success. Increased nutrition, hygiene, and understanding of how contagions spread has done almost all the work of disease eradication in the US. vaccines though are now reversing that trend by causing new diseases like autism and SIDS."

"Have you watched the film, vaxxed? I'd like to you tell me how the data they present, which is 100% retrieved from the FDA through FOIA requests, supports your belief that vaccines are safe."

My goodness, I cannot stand anti-vaxxers on Facebook... I need to quit getting myself involved in these stupid "debates". They spout these bold statements with nary even a citation. Shouldn't even bother. :bang:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 users
My goodness, I cannot stand anti-vaxxers on Facebook... I need to quit getting myself involved in these stupid "debates". I bring 5 peer-reviewed publications to the table, and they just spout this out with nary even a citation. Shouldn't even bother. :bang:
Save yourself the frustration and don't bother or just say...
QQjEqRp.png

Reactions: 13 users
Save yourself the frustration and don't bother or just say...

Ugh. Not just anti-vaxx, but anti-medicine in general. I had a very clear UTI case in the ER this weekend (yawn). Overweight middle-age female dog peeing small amounts frequently blah blah blah. UA raging with a single population of bacteria. I mean, it was clear cut. And the owner just kept asking me "Well, are you SURE?" and saying some variant of "I'm opposed to using medication for both my pets and me."

Ok. Great. Then WhyTF did you come into the ER? I mean, did you think I practice Reiki or homeopathy or some other stupid 'alternative' medicine that has no basis in reality? If you want fantasy healing, why bother coming to see a doctor?

People suck. VetMed just reaffirms how deeply people suck.

P.S. I <hate> the term "alternative medicine" because it just gives credibility to something that isn't even medicine. If you want to practice reiki, homeopathy, etc. - great. But don't call it medicine.

Reactions: 8 users
"Riiight. And let me guess, you believe Polio was eradicate by the Polio vaccine, right? The #1 quoted example. Except it's not true. Polio was already going away, and the vaccine had no impact in the speed of reduction of cases. "

"You can say I am ignorant all you like, but the data is not on your side. Vaccines have been shown over and over again to not even work. They've shown to cause incredible harm. "

"Vaccines are not a victim of their own success. Increased nutrition, hygiene, and understanding of how contagions spread has done almost all the work of disease eradication in the US. vaccines though are now reversing that trend by causing new diseases like autism and SIDS."

"Have you watched the film, vaxxed? I'd like to you tell me how the data they present, which is 100% retrieved from the FDA through FOIA requests, supports your belief that vaccines are safe."

My goodness, I cannot stand anti-vaxxers on Facebook... I need to quit getting myself involved in these stupid "debates". I bring 5 peer-reviewed publications to the table, and they just spout this out with nary even a citation. Shouldn't even bother. :bang:

Ugh. Not just anti-vaxx, but anti-medicine in general. I had a very clear UTI case in the ER this weekend (yawn). Overweight middle-age female dog peeing small amounts frequently blah blah blah. UA raging with a single population of bacteria. I mean, it was clear cut. And the owner just kept asking me "Well, are you SURE?" and saying some variant of "I'm opposed to using medication for both my pets and me."

Ok. Great. Then WhyTF did you come into the ER? I mean, did you think I practice Reiki or homeopathy or some other stupid 'alternative' medicine that has no basis in reality? If you want fantasy healing, why bother coming to see a doctor?

P.S. I <hate> the term "alternative medicine" because it just gives credibility to something that isn't even medicine. If you want to practice reiki, homeopathy, etc. - great. But don't call it medicine.

I hate the term "all natural".... if I had a dime for every client that said, "I tried to fix it naturally but it didn't work"... I'd have enough to pay some bills.

And if I hear one more person blame allergies, diarrhea or anything else on grain in the diet......ugh. FFS the most common cause of allergies are proteins, grains really don't play a role.

Reactions: 6 users
I have to be up in 6 hours, but my neighbors have their tv so loud I can hear every word in my apartment and I can't fall asleep. I can usually hear them in the hallway when I walk by, but not in my apartment so they have to realize they have it super loud..... And I have no ear plugs. I just want to sleep :(

I hate the term "all natural".... if I had a dime for every client that said, "I tried to fix it naturally but it didn't work"... I'd have enough to pay some bills.

And if I hear one more person blame allergies, diarrhea or anything else on grain in the diet......ugh. FFS the most common cause of allergies are proteins, grains really don't play a role.
I actually have a dog that gets wicked diarrhea from rice, wheat and corn. I know he's kind of the exception to the rule, but grain allergies do happen (yes, I know they are very rare). He was pretty much a diarrhea factory for about 6mos as a puppy and it got worse when I fed him chicken and rice, got better on just chicken, and whenever I transferred him back to kibble it would return with a vengeance. So finally my vet suggested trying a grain free diet and he's been fine ever since.

Members don't see this ad :)

so much this.

Sadly, I have classmates that practice reiki and others. I just...can't.

Yesterday I had a client tell me that her dog had suddenly lost a tooth and ask about it. After explaining we could do a sedated oral exam, oral radiographs, and possibly a dental cleaning she just looked at me and said "I'm not going to do any of that, dear."

um...ok. then why bring it up?

Reactions: 6 users
so much this.

Sadly, I have classmates that practice reiki and others. I just...can't.

Yesterday I had a client tell me that her dog had suddenly lost a tooth and ask about it. After explaining we could do a sedated oral exam, oral radiographs, and possibly a dental cleaning she just looked at me and said "I'm not going to do any of that, dear."

um...ok. then why bring it up?
Another nap??? With a pint? :biglove:

We just had to have a lengthy convo about food with an owner has a kitty on Pheno for seizures, has a raging UTI that didn't respond to a 10 day course of clavamox by the rDVM (like she's peeing out straight up white, thick discharge ) and of course it cultured as an enterococcus. It said it was susceptible to Ampicillin, but we're slightly skeptical because it didn't respond to the clavamox. Otherwise the other options where Chloramphenicol or Nitrofuran, which aren't options. Just upped the dose of the Clavamox and we'll recheck mid course of antibiotics.

Talked to owner about switching to a urinary diet cause it has a crap tone of struvites too. O is concerned about GMOs in the food, which caused a ton of eye rolling at our end. I think we found an effective way to communicate to her that her cat currently has bigger issues than worrying about eating GMOs without being rude.

Reactions: 1 user
Oh and for the actual reason I came to post on this thread...

It's a good thing I don't have to be anywhere at a set time today. There were no signs out saying that they were going to come and work on the water pipes again today, so my car is currently trapped between a huge hole in the road and a some sort of bulldozer/construction vehicle thing.

And if I have a ticket for having my car there, I will be beyond pissed.

I wish I had a nickel for every time someone responded to my mention of food allergies with "Oh no, she's on grain-free!" :yeahright:

Reactions: 3 users
We just had to have a lengthy convo about food with an owner has a kitty on Pheno for seizures, has a raging UTI that didn't respond to a 10 day course of clavamox by the rDVM (like she's peeing out straight up white, thick discharge ) and of course it cultured as an enterococcus. It said it was susceptible to Ampicillin, but we're slightly skeptical because it didn't respond to the clavamox. Otherwise the other options where Chloramphenicol or Nitrofuran, which aren't options. Just upped the dose of the Clavamox and we'll recheck mid course of antibiotics.

Talked to owner about switching to a urinary diet cause it has a crap tone of struvites too. O is concerned about GMOs in the food, which caused a ton of eye rolling at our end. I think we found an effective way to communicate to her that her cat currently has bigger issues than worrying about eating GMOs without being rude.
why is chloramphenicol not an option?

I have a patient here that is paraparetic and she gets constant UTIs. We're down to chloramphenicol, gentamicin, and amikacin most of the time. We went over safety with the owner and did the chloramphenicol and it worked like a charm

I have a patient here that is paraparetic and she gets constant UTIs. We're down to chloramphenicol, gentamicin, and amikacin most of the time. We went over safety with the owner and did the chloramphenicol and it worked like a charm

Neurologist concerned about using Chloramphenicol specifically with the Pheno. My understanding was mainly due to the potential for decreased hepatic metabolism and that the Pheno can actually also decrease the Chloramphenicol concentration. The cat's been on Pheno for a while, so I think bone marrow suppression as a result of the combo of drugs was less of a concern, but always a possibility as well. If the cat wasn't on Pheno, I think she would have chosen that first. Here's to hoping a higher dose of Clavamox + longer course works...

The number of times I've heard "I feed Fluffy some organic, grain-free diet" and the client seems so proud :bang:

Treated my kitty with amikacin as a last resort (his UTI was resistant to everything else) and it was a little terrifying due to the risks but it worked! His day 0, 7 and 14 renal values were almost identical and it's been 4 months and his UTI has not returned :xf: (he blocked 3 times and had PU surgery)

I've used nitrofurantoin a few times with good success. The generic is pretty cost effective and so far has worked as it's supposed to. All the patients were dogs. One had some famotidine responsive vomiting but other two tolerated it well (n=3). I'm scared of amikacin but have also used chloramphenicol quite a few times.

I see to be our clinic magnet for the HW+ cases. Whyyyy.
It's really not a fun owner conversation, especially since all mine have been asymptomatic.

At the time I left one of our docs had 10 hw positive patients including a cat. Wonder how many he's up to now.
Pretty sure I'm going to get that in a month or two at this clinic. Been working <3 weeks and I'm at three.

Only one of mine has been symptomatic and that was the one that tested negative at the rescue like one month before I saw him :(
Ugh that sucks :( we had one of those too

It's really not a fun owner conversation, especially since all mine have been asymptomatic.

Pretty sure I'm going to get that in a month or two at this clinic. Been working <3 weeks and I'm at three.
Somehow i ended up being the tech for all but 2 of those 10 cases. Pretty sure I have the hw treatment protocol memorized at this point. And we always had to go over it like 3 times. But yeah some areas are worse than others, I think 6 or so of those cases came in between December and February. It trickled off a bit towards the end, thank god.

My new rabbit cage came today. It's actually a reorder of the one I bought nine years ago and I read the more recent reviews to see what the current problems were. So, I wasn't surprised when I opened it up and found that the tray really was too small for the cage. I'll just find a replacement but it's amusing that the manufacturer replaced the old tray with one that fails at its purpose. I won't be putting a rabbit in the cage until I get a new tray because I really don't want rabbit piss all over my floor or the area rugs in my foyer. It's annoying when people cut costs and end up reducing the quality of good products.

Complaining aside, look at the cute bunnies:

Attachments

• DSC04903.JPG
    DSC04903.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: 5 users
You know.....I don't generally consider myself a proud person. I've worked **** jobs before and never complained. I've worked the night shift of the ghetto little corner store next to the undergrad apartment complexes. I've worked the picker at a golf course where people start aiming at you for fun. I've spent my weekend cleaning and feeding pigs and chickens. I've spent hours and hours inthe hot, stuffy industrial cage washing room at lab animal facilities.

But you know what.....after 10+ years of post-college education, and after having come off my postdoc grant and now making a measly 34k/year, and now having to TA a class, and getting emails from the professor to come photocopy stuff for her.....I have to admit, I'm feeling a little miffed. I didn't do all of this to frackin' photocopy lecture booklets.

Reactions: 4 users
Neurologist concerned about using Chloramphenicol specifically with the Pheno.

I have seen a dog that was on phenobarbital and needed chloramphenicol for a nasty deep pyoderma. The dog became extremely sedate and ataxic (basically falling down stairs constantly) and the blood pheno levels on the same dose as before the chloramphenicol went up by like 200%. I had to decrease the dog's pheno dose pretty dramatically when on the chloramphenicol and then increase it again afterwards with a lot of expensive blood monitoring to ensure safety and the side effects were marked even on lowered doses. Essentially it was a huge mess, and I can't fault the neurologist for wanting to steer clear of that whole mess if any other options existed.

You know.....I don't generally consider myself a proud person. I've worked **** jobs before and never complained. I've worked the night shift of the ghetto little corner store next to the undergrad apartment complexes. I've worked the picker at a golf course where people start aiming at you for fun. I've spent my weekend cleaning and feeding pigs and chickens. I've spent hours and hours inthe hot, stuffy industrial cage washing room at lab animal facilities.

But you know what.....after 10+ years of post-college education, and after having come off my postdoc grant and now making a measly 34k/year, and now having to TA a class, and getting emails from the professor to come photocopy stuff for her.....I have to admit, I'm feeling a little miffed. I didn't do all of this to frackin' photocopy lecture booklets.

A stupid step on the path to doneness.

Seriously, how hard is it to call someone back??!! Was supposed to have surgery this Monday, but hadn't heard from the nurse to officially schedule so I called the office.. Twice. Finally get a call from her saying the insurance wasn't up to date so she wouldn't schedule it. Except, it IS up to date and after spending 30 minutes on the phone with the insurance, I was assured of this fact. Called the doctor back to let them know and ask to talk with her again twice already. It's been 4 days and still no word from her. :mad:

Boyfriend told me that one of our guinea pigs was "meowing like a cat in heat." Palpated his abdomen, and his bladder was freaking huge. Took him to work (after hours), ultrasounded him, saw huge bladder with no obvious stones, and cysto'd out 9 ml of bloody urine. Took him home and brought him in the next morning. Took rads, huge stone in his urethra. Was able to get it back in the bladder, so I did a cystotomy to remove the stone. That was yesterday. He's urinating great today, but his appetite is very poor. He seems painful, despite being on good pain meds. I'm just so worried about him. I hope his appetite picks up soon. He hates critical care, but I'm syringing it to anyways. Any thoughts, @Trilt ?

I think I've developed another stomach ulcer... :oops:

Boyfriend told me that one of our guinea pigs was "meowing like a cat in heat." Palpated his abdomen, and his bladder was freaking huge. Took him to work (after hours), ultrasounded him, saw huge bladder with no obvious stones, and cysto'd out 9 ml of bloody urine. Took him home and brought him in the next morning. Took rads, huge stone in his urethra. Was able to get it back in the bladder, so I did a cystotomy to remove the stone. That was yesterday. He's urinating great today, but his appetite is very poor. He seems painful, despite being on good pain meds. I'm just so worried about him. I hope his appetite picks up soon. He hates critical care, but I'm syringing it to anyways. Any thoughts, @Trilt ?

I think I've developed another stomach ulcer... :oops:

Have you tried mixing in a little bit of Naked Juice into the critical care? Some bunbuns and piggies enjoy it more that way. My one piggie hates critical care as well. And I had to give her a bit too when she seemed like she was in early GI stasis after a flare up her cystitis and now stone issues. What's he on for pain?

Have you tried mixing in a little bit of Naked Juice into the critical care? Some bunbuns and piggies enjoy it more that way. My one piggie hates critical care as well. And I had to give her a bit too when she seemed like she was in early GI stasis after a flare up her cystitis and now stone issues. What's he on for pain?
Thanks for the suggestion! I'll get some Naked juice later and add that in.
He's on metacam 0.75 mg/kg PO Q12 and buprenorphine 0.05 mg/kg Q 12- last given last night as it makes him really dysphoric.
He seems more comfortable now. I might give him another dose of buprenorphine tonight. He just ate some romaine, hay, and roma tomato.
I picked up some metaclopramide earlier and gave that to him, so that might be helping to improve his appetite.
He's also getting SQ fluids every 12 hours, which he absolutely hates.
My other guinea pig is currently loving life because he gets to eat all the extra veggies that my sick piggie isn't eating.

I'm just grateful today was my scheduled day off so I can spend the time to take care of him.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll get some Naked juice later and add that in.
He's on metacam 0.75 mg/kg PO Q12 and buprenorphine 0.05 mg/kg Q 12- last given last night as it makes him really dysphoric.
He seems more comfortable now. I might give him another dose of buprenorphine tonight. He just ate some romaine, hay, and roma tomato.
I picked up some metaclopramide earlier and gave that to him, so that might be helping to improve his appetite.
He's also getting SQ fluids every 12 hours, which he absolutely hates.
My other guinea pig is currently loving life because he gets to eat all the extra veggies that my sick piggie isn't eating.

I'm just grateful today was my scheduled day off so I can spend the time to take care of him.
We did the juice (or pedialyte) in critical care at the school too, it can make a difference. And I've yet to meet a piggie who likes subQ fluids... not sure why they hate them so much more than other species. I'm glad he is perking up and eating a bit for you, poor dude.

We did the juice (or pedialyte) in critical care at the school too, it can make a difference. And I've yet to meet a piggie who likes subQ fluids... not sure why they hate them so much more than other species. I'm glad he is perking up and eating a bit for you, poor dude.

Seriously. My piggies screamed at me every time I had to do them. It was quite the battle and I'm sure my roommates thought I was torturing her.

Seriously. My piggies screamed at me every time I had to do them. It was quite the battle and I'm sure my roommates thought I was torturing her.

Piggies scream at everything though. It's kinda their default "OMG DON'T TOUCH ME DON'T IT HURTS HURTS HURTS" mode.

Sorta like Huskies.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe it DOES hurt! You don't know! :p

Oh, it probably hurts. I mean, a needle and a bunch of fluids rammed in there? Sure.

But, yanno, man up. All the other mammals (except huskies and samoyeds etc) suffer through it just fine.

Wussy little piggies.