RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yah mine were too, not sure what magic they work over there.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm hopeful for mine now, since Iowa's calculation was pretty terrible. Have you submitted your supp already, or are they calculating everyone's?

Iowa hasn't calculated my GPAs yet :xf:
I haven't submitted my app yet, so I just assume they're calculating everyone's GPAs. My last name is around the middle of the alphabet if that helps you out any.

Members don't see this ad :)
UTK just approved my school's biochem class! Every other year people have had to take both semesters of biochem, but UTK finally wised up and put us on the approved list... heck it is a 4 hour class with a lab!

:D

They didnt update my GPA for LSU..uggg I hate this waiting game :( Anyways I am super excited to be taking Advanced Organic Chem in the spring.. I know I know...but I love that stuff!! :)

Finished analyzing my videos for my thesis!!!! 600 videos in 4 days :eek:

Soo happy to be finished!:soexcited::banana::biglove:

My brother called me from Germany (where he's meeting his GF's family). They're having a baby! And getting married in November. I'm so happy for them!:soexcited:

To give y'all hope for vet school, here is my rave:
Some of my professors (actually MOST of them) are AMAZING! They are sincere and helpful and will go out of their way to help you!
I am at VMRCVM, and I want to give a huge shout-out to the following professors:
Dr. Bonnie Smith, who remembers what it's like to be a vet student and takes pity on us, but who also will take time from her busy schedule to tutor anyone, even on her lunch or out at her home on the weekends (plus her pack of dogs are great fun). She is super enthusiastic about her topics, and there is NEVER a dull moment.
Dr. Lee, who has had to deal with immense family/personal issues, but still made it back to teach us a section, and who was always great to talk with and offer down-to-earth explanations of his topics.
Dr. Eng, who has scheduled a biochem review for us at the end of every week this semester, and is great about correlating the biochem to the anatomy topics that h also teaches/assists with. Plus, who can beat a middle-aged Asian man getting dressed up like a cowboy just to remind us that the external abdominal obliques are directed caudo-ventrally?!
Dr. Caceci, our "mad" histology professor, who is the nicest cranky old man you could want, who has a fascination for anything under a microscope and tells some of the most quotable one-liners during class. Super easy to contact via email, records his own lectures so if you miss them you can listen to them later, and provides us with awesome computer resources like "Webslide enterprise" and virtual copies of our slide boxes!

I could go on, but you get the point! These professors CARE about how we do, and are invested in incorporating us into the veterinary profession. And I LOVE them!

We released a rehabbed red tailed hawk on the grounds of my shelter today. It was freaking AMAZING!!! I would post pics but I don't want to lose my anonymity. Best thing ever to see this majestic bird fly up into a tree. Never forget it.

To give y'all hope for vet school, here is my rave:
Some of my professors (actually MOST of them) are AMAZING! They are sincere and helpful and will go out of their way to help you!
I am at VMRCVM, and I want to give a huge shout-out to the following professors:
Dr. Bonnie Smith, who remembers what it's like to be a vet student and takes pity on us, but who also will take time from her busy schedule to tutor anyone, even on her lunch or out at her home on the weekends (plus her pack of dogs are great fun). She is super enthusiastic about her topics, and there is NEVER a dull moment.
Dr. Lee, who has had to deal with immense family/personal issues, but still made it back to teach us a section, and who was always great to talk with and offer down-to-earth explanations of his topics.
Dr. Eng, who has scheduled a biochem review for us at the end of every week this semester, and is great about correlating the biochem to the anatomy topics that h also teaches/assists with. Plus, who can beat a middle-aged Asian man getting dressed up like a cowboy just to remind us that the external abdominal obliques are directed caudo-ventrally?!
Dr. Caceci, our "mad" histology professor, who is the nicest cranky old man you could want, who has a fascination for anything under a microscope and tells some of the most quotable one-liners during class. Super easy to contact via email, records his own lectures so if you miss them you can listen to them later, and provides us with awesome computer resources like "Webslide enterprise" and virtual copies of our slide boxes!

I could go on, but you get the point! These professors CARE about how we do, and are invested in incorporating us into the veterinary profession. And I LOVE them!

Thank you for posting this. VMRCVM is my first choice (IS) and it's really encouraging to hear good things about the professors, especially after I begin to doubt myself reading the "class of 2014" thread ;)

My rant is that I finished my UPEI supplemental today. Printing/mailing it tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for posting this. VMRCVM is my first choice (IS) and it's really encouraging to hear good things about the professors, especially after I begin to doubt myself reading the "class of 2014" thread ;)

My rant is that I finished my UPEI supplemental today. Printing/mailing it tomorrow!

I think that VMRCVM is a comfortable place. I am determined that I will do my best to help the class of 2015 feel welcome when they arrive next Summer!
We use the Scholar online system (similar to blackboard), and the classes share their study guides with each other. First year students are isolated physically by the fact the classroom is on the first floor, but we get lots of help from upperclassmen through Scholar.
I only wish I had more time to be in more clubs, especially the Food Animal Practitioners club which does weekend palpation labs!

Had my first IHSA show of the season! Had a good draw, got a fourth place, and my coach asked me to be on the point squad! =)

I don't really know what any of that means, EllieG, but it sounds good! :oops:

So...Way To Go!

Ridiculously busy days at work while we are understaffed are actually really, really satisfying. I love the fast pace and getting so much done and being able to do so much. :)

I somehow got a 90 on my cell bio midterm. :eek: I thought I bombed out. A lot of people bombed out. It was scaled up by 5 points, so I actually had an 85, but still I'm shocked. It just seemed like so many of my answers were guesses.

Had my first IHSA show of the season! Had a good draw, got a fourth place, and my coach asked me to be on the point squad! =)

Way to go! That is awesome you're gonna be on the point squad!

The answer to something I couldn't figure out for a chem lab came to me in a dream last night! I remember thinking in my dream: I better remember this when I wake up!

It reminds me of when I was a kid and I had misplaced my teddy. I dreamed it was in the basement of all places, well, guess where is was when I checked the next day.

Had a dream once that my lost wallet was behind the sofa in the den. 'Lo and behold...

I think it's basically along the same lines of an infinite number of monkeys and typewriters. Eventually, you're gonna dream the right thing. Also where deja vu comes from.

There are several theories about dreams, one of them being that the brain sorts through information from the period you were awake and discards the information you don't need in the form of a dream (nerve firings). Maybe that's how you figure out stuff in your dreams?..

There are several theories about dreams, one of them being that the brain sorts through information from the period you were awake and discards the information you don't need in the form of a dream (nerve firings). Maybe that's how you figure out stuff in your dreams?..

No wonder why I could never get really decent grades on ochem exams...I used to dream about chemical reactions every night and that was my brain discarding the "useless information" right before the exam. ;)

That's interesting. My honours supervisor just says I'm stressed out when I tell him about my crazy biology related dreams. I have crazy dreams every night. I dreamed one night that the seventh level of hell is full of nautilus.

Nautilus is my favorite sea creature! I don't think that would work for me. Spiders, maybe?

What's weird is that I dreamed this in the summer and I just learned about them two weeks ago in invert. I didn't even know what they were called then. I had it in my mind that my prof was working with snails that looked kind of like the Pokemon Omanyte. I ended up dreaming about Nautilus... they had eyes, lots of tentacles and blue and white patterned shells. As soon as I saw real Nautilus in class it kind of blew my mind that dreamed about that.

Turns out my prof was working on worm-snails or tube-snails (Vermetidae). Not as cool.

I had a really awesome lesson on a pretty difficult horse today. Really gave my confidence a boost =)

I am hanging on to my A in endo! We had our second test last week. I'd spent the entire two previous weeks dogsitting, so I had some combination of 4 dogs in two cities, plus horse shows both weekends before, and was working extra hours to cover a sick employee. So basically I hadn't had more than 6 hours of sleep a night. For two weeks. Which makes me a crazy person. And I still got an A on the test. BOOYAH, b**ches. :laugh:

I have crazy dreams every night. I dreamed one night that the seventh level of hell is full of nautilus.

Man, tell me about it. I have crazy weird dreams almost every night. One in particular has been reoccurring since my early childhood, where I get chased down by penguins with guns. They've not caught me yet though (which goes to show the intelligence of penguins) but they're sure persistent.

Completely unrelated to academics:

I found my Joker costume (purple shirt, green vest, purple overcoat, PURPLE PANTS WTF WHO HAS THESE?!, awesome tie) while looking through some thrift and goodwill stores for under $20.

costume.jpg

Now if I could only figure out how to make the glasgow smile look good, I'll be set for our "Spay-ghetti" fund raiser this Friday :).

Hmmm. Still looking for gloves. I think I might have to just use purple nitrile gloves from anatomy lab. Bwuahahahaha.

Last edited:
Not bad! The green vest is a good find!

Better practice the "why so serious?" face!

Dude the green vest was so hard to look for online, and I found it within 2 minutes of being in the thrift store.

And I'm hoping my makeup skills will ...make up.. for my lack of creepy mannerisms to go with my costume.

I did my cousin's Joker makeup last Halloween and it turned out awesome, but I'm not sure I have any modeling putty to make the smile for myself anymore :(

My boyfriend totally surprised me with a dozen roses (pink) and red rose petals covering the bed. It was the sweetest thing ever!!

:love:

i rocked the GREs this morning!!
730 quant, 620 verbal. my quant score was 10 points higher than my best practice test!
oh man i am so incredibly relieved that the GRE is over. time to go celebrate in toronto this weekend!

i rocked the GREs this morning!!
730 quant, 620 verbal. my quant score was 10 points higher than my best practice test!
oh man i am so incredibly relieved that the GRE is over. time to go celebrate in toronto this weekend!

That's awesome! Congrats!!:D

OMG, I just cooked a meal and it was delicious!! And I never cook. Oh, the small victories in life... :D

Before I left for school this year my mom got me a little tiny George Foreman grill that was like $11 at WalMart. I just used it tonight to make cheeseburgers (never made one before) and they turned out delicious. I also made fries that turned out grand as well! I'm super proud of myself.

Just wish there was someone here to share it with! My girlfriend went home for the weekend already and our roommate is at work and she usually eats dinner there =(

I am officially a sub-permittee under a wildlife rehabber via the shelter I work at!! That means lots of babies next summer! (Squirrels, bunnies, raccoons...)

95 on second orgo II exam. It's reassuring to know that I haven't been slacking off since my acceptance!:smuggrin:

Managed to study a little bit tonight, and even though I have tons more I could (and should) be doing, I'm going to bed! I have an awesome weekend ahead, too - necropsies tomorrow morning, vet school Halloween party tomorrow night, dinner with a friend on Sunday, and some studying mixed in there. I also am super-excited to have the boy down here next weekend, and I'm totally surprising him with a trip to the Outer Banks (for his upcoming birthday) as soon as I'm done with class on Friday. I'll just push him into the car, and we'll be off. Already booked the B&B and the wildlife jeep tour, and I'm working on figuring out the best roadside diners/holes in the wall to try out! :)

And all of this is allowing me to mostly ignore the fact that finals are in about three weeks...awesome.

Managed to study a little bit tonight, and even though I have tons more I could (and should) be doing, I'm going to bed! I have an awesome weekend ahead, too - necropsies tomorrow morning, vet school Halloween party tomorrow night, dinner with a friend on Sunday, and some studying mixed in there. I also am super-excited to have the boy down here next weekend, and I'm totally surprising him with a trip to the Outer Banks (for his upcoming birthday) as soon as I'm done with class on Friday. I'll just push him into the car, and we'll be off. Already booked the B&B and the wildlife jeep tour, and I'm working on figuring out the best roadside diners/holes in the wall to try out! :)

And all of this is allowing me to mostly ignore the fact that finals are in about three weeks...awesome.

The Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives website has a link to a list of all the places that Guy Fieri has been. I used it when I went on a trip to Cali to try to go to some local places that had some great food. It worked!

The Outer Banks is a huge area, but if you happen to be up in Nags Head, the Black Pelican is a little dive with good food. Their little pizzas are quite yumsville! I miss NC...sigh. Have a great time!

I finally got the results of our second microbiology exam back... made a 100! This is very, very good considering I made an 84 on the first exam. Now if only I had the same dedication towards studying for physics as I did for micro...

Got my official GRE scores! (560) 78% verbal, (740) 80% quant, and a 4.5 on the writing :D

Way to go, NStarz! Nice to get that outa the way, isn't it?