Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on becoming a Bruin!! I wanted to thank you for posting the grad admissions website. I got a letter from the department I applied to a few weeks ago saying "congrats! we've recommended you for admission, but you'll need to wait for the official word." So I've been waiting for my looming rejection email. I just logged on and I'm officially in! And the letter was dated 3 days earlier than the departmental letter...

Congrats! UCLA is a great school.

I just wanted to comment that I am surprised that people seem surprised about who makes which decision. In my view the decision from the Graduate Division is a formality. The department makes the decision, not the graduate division. So, if you hear from the department, that is the decision. While I hear people's concerns about what, if any, decisions the Graduate Division may make, the GD is bureaucratic step that must be taken by all UC schools. They know nothing about your application, as it rests on the department. In any case good luck to those still waiting!

Members don't see this ad.

Few updates! I just got into the University of Michigan's MHSA program!! woo hooo!! :)

UGPA:3.67
Major/Minor: Health Services Administration/ Health Information Management and Informatics
GRE: W: 3.5 Verbal: 150, Quant: 152 :scared:

Experience/Research: RA for 3 years, intern with American Lung Association and Florida Hospital, honors student, honors thesis, leadership program at school, very involved, volunteered at a GLBTQ center and helped with their HIV prevention campaign, Relay for Life Student Marketing Chair, research assistant for two years in my department.

Applied: IU (MPH-Public Health Adm), UMD (MHA), UMich (MHSA), Yale ( MPH in Health Care Management and Health Policy), Northwestern (MPH)
Accepted: UMD (MHA) (1/15), IU (MPH-Public Health Adm)(1/18), UMich (MHSA) (2/28)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:Yale ( MPH in Health Care Management) (2/27)

Attending: UMich (MHSA) :naughty::):D:D:D

@Hefty-I'm still technically waiting on Emory and Berkeley before I weigh my loan options and scholarship prospects, but I'm planning on visiting ucla to talk to some professors and get a feel for the EHS program since I still don't know a whole about theirs, but it will be so much closer to home for me and I do not mind staying in LA/California for a public health career :D

@porkbuns-That's pretty assuring to know, I've noticed a lot of other schools did that as well. Also I read some of your posts about ucla and general idea of what to expect being at the school and city and general and it was pretty helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted today at UNC Gillings School of Global Public Health for the MSPH Health Policy and Management Program :clap: :soexcited: :clap: :soexcited:

Emailed the Fulbright office today, and apparently I've been accepted to Harvard (MS in Public Health/Health Policy - 2yr program), UC Berkeley (MPH in Health Policy) and UMass Amherst (MPH in Community Health) :banana::banana:

My stats again is:

UGPA: 3.25/4.0 - international student
Major/Minor: International business
Fulbright recipient
GRE (including date taken): 10/16/12; Q- 165, V- 160, W- 4.5 - TOEFL 113
Experience/Research (during undergrad): 3 years of experience implementing public health interventions for drug users, sex workers, and people with HIV in Vietnam. Engaged in health policy advocacy. Some research.

Applied: Harvard, Yale, UC Berkeley, UMass - all MPH/Health Policy. Applications verified by SOPHAS on Dec 4.
Accepted: Harvard, UC Berkeley, UMass (sometime in February)
Rejected:
Waitlisted

Last edited:
FYI - yesterday, a member in the MPH Berkeley forum posted that the admissions office stated that they're going to start sending out admissions decisions starting today through to next week.

Lives are going to change starting today!

I tell ya. My heart is in my mouth.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

Just got a SM2 waitlist decision from Harvard. :( Being waitlisted everywhere really kind of sucks.

Just got a SM2 waitlist decision from Harvard. :( Being waitlisted everywhere really kind of sucks.

Being waitlisted does stink, but it's definitely better than a rejection. What department did you apply for?

Being waitlisted does stink, but it's definitely better than a rejection. What department did you apply for?

True, I suppose. It was with HPM - management track.

Members don't see this ad :)
IN AT UM HMP!!!!! Ahhhh so excited I started crying at work :) glad to finally have a happy post on sdn :)

Accepted: Tulane, UMich
Waiting:Yale, Upitt, GWU
Rejected: Columbia

Attending: mostly likely Michigan :) :) :)

HSPH will be sending out decisions Fridays from now until mid march. It's a long shot but fingers are still crossed.

So does anyone else hate hate hate Orgsync? Seriously, why doesn't Columbia just give us our information the old fashioned way?

I am trying to use Orgsync to sign up for Columbia's accepted students day on March 15th but I can't even find the event anywhere on Orgsync. I am not understanding this

Anybody know anything about deferring enrollment for a year?? Do all/most programs allow this? Do any?

Anybody know anything about deferring enrollment for a year?? Do all/most programs allow this? Do any?

Pretty much all of them do, if I remember correctly.

So does anyone else hate hate hate Orgsync? Seriously, why doesn't Columbia just give us our information the old fashioned way?

I am trying to use Orgsync to sign up for Columbia's accepted students day on March 15th but I can't even find the event anywhere on Orgsync. I am not understanding this

I can't figure it out either. Can't find anything, can't navigate. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

my hands are shaking bc of all the nervous energy... anyone know if Yale is sending anything out today?

my hands are shaking bc of all the nervous energy... anyone know if Yale is sending anything out today?

According to gradcafe, someone got accepted via email into the MPH program today...

According to gradcafe, someone got accepted via email into the MPH program today...

thanks for the info... btw how do you get to gradcafe? a URL would be great if possible.

@vpark @foxeylady thank you guys both :)

Also, HSPH decisions have started. Rejected. Expected, but a little heartbreaking nonetheless.

Also, HSPH decisions have started. Rejected. Expected, but a little heartbreaking nonetheless.

just got my rejection letter also. pretty upsetting...

This is a friendly - oh so sweet :) - reminder to please include dates, department, stats, etc., when posting acceptances, rejections, etc. I acknowledge how difficult it can be to do so if you have not been offered a spot in a course. So, we are particularly grateful if you can take the time to let us know what's up, as people will invariably ask.

I am sorry to hear about rejections, I hope you end up elsewhere that will get you closer to your dreams. :(

...and good luck to those still waiting. :D

Got into BU Epi MPH finally!

Submitted 11/14, email confirm from BU early December, request for additional info early February.

Just found out I've been awarded the SPH Dean's Scholars Award at UMN! Great way to start the weekend. My stats are below for reference.

UGPA: 3.94
Major/Minor: Political science/health policy
GRE (including date taken): June 30, 2012 -- Verbal 159, Quant 157, Writing 5.0
Experience/Research: Published a solo-authored paper by a peer-reviewed journal and presented my work at several large conferences, have been working for the past year and a half as a government relations professional at a large health nonprofit in DC.

Applied: UW (Community-Oriented Public Health Practice), submitted on 11/1;
University of North Carolina (Health Behavior), Emory (Behavioral Sciences and Health Education), University of Minnesota (Community Health Promotion), Colorado School of Public Health (Community and Behavioral Health), all sent by SOPHAS on 11/21. Emory application was sent to the department on 1/11.
Accepted: UMN (12/19), Emory (1/19), UNC (1/26), UW (2/11)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I just got the HRSA Traineeship (I think was what it was called) at UMN. Unfortunately, it doesn't make a huge dent, but it's still one of the most affordable options! I'm going to the admitted student's day in a week or so though (anyone else?).

Last night, I got the Heilbrunn Scholarship from Columbia.

Looks it's notification week :). Good luck everyone!

My stats are further upthread somewhere.

Just found out I've been awarded the SPH Dean's Scholars Award at UMN! Great way to start the weekend. My stats are below for reference.

UGPA: 3.94
Major/Minor: Political science/health policy
GRE (including date taken): June 30, 2012 -- Verbal 159, Quant 157, Writing 5.0
Experience/Research: Published a solo-authored paper by a peer-reviewed journal and presented my work at several large conferences, have been working for the past year and a half as a government relations professional at a large health nonprofit in DC.

Applied: UW (Community-Oriented Public Health Practice), submitted on 11/1;
University of North Carolina (Health Behavior), Emory (Behavioral Sciences and Health Education), University of Minnesota (Community Health Promotion), Colorado School of Public Health (Community and Behavioral Health), all sent by SOPHAS on 11/21. Emory application was sent to the department on 1/11.
Accepted: UMN (12/19), Emory (1/19), UNC (1/26), UW (2/11)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I just got the HRSA Traineeship (I think was what it was called) at UMN. Unfortunately, it doesn't make a huge dent, but it's still one of the most affordable options! I'm going to the admitted student's day in a week or so though (anyone else?).

Congrats guys for your scholarship offers at UMN!

Did you get notified by email or snail mail? I'm hoping for the latter so maybe I'll still have a shot at a scholarship....

Congrats guys for your scholarship offers at UMN!

Did you get notified by email or snail mail? I'm hoping for the latter so maybe I'll still have a shot at a scholarship....

Email here- for both schools. It was a PDF of a mail though so I'm assuming I'll get that shortly :)

Good luck! I think as people start declining offers, they'll make them to others (at least that's what I'm holding out hope for as Emory's been silent =/)

Yeah, they said they would also send a snail-mail copy of the email.

I haven't seen anyone mention Emory scholarships yet this year, so I'm hoping that information will be coming soon. Last year they started sending notices on Monday, Feb. 27, so maybe Monday? I'm waiting for UNC too.

In at Harvard! So excited :)
Accepted to the Master of Science (80-credit) degree program in Global Health and Population.

UGPA: 3.28 (WES)
Major/Minor: [Canada] Anatomy and Cell Biology (Major), Social Studies of Medicine (Minor)
GRE: 159Q, 161V, 5.0W

Experience/Research:
3 months with a research group in Canada studying child labour and primary health systems
1.5 years with a public health research organization in Pakistan
4 months with a public health diagnostics organization in Uganda
Will have 4 publications (2 reports, 2 journal papers) by the time of enrolment

Applied: JHU (12/1/2012), Harvard (12/1/2012), Columbia (1/12/2013), LSHTM (2/22/2013)
Accepted: JHU MPH (Feb 20), Columbia MPH (Feb 22), Harvard SM (Mar 1)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

In at Harvard's SM2 in Global Health and Population. This was a huge surprise, as I had some, uh, "issues" with the essay requirements (in that HSPH has different ones than I thought they did).

Still have not heard from Columbia epi.

UGPA: 3.69
Major/Minor: International affairs / anthropology
GRE: 167/167/6.0
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Three years of global public health work both in HQ and in the field.

Applied: Berkeley (Epi/Biostats), Harvard (Global), Emory (Global), Tulane (Global Health Systems), UW Seattle (Global Health Eval and Metrics), Columbia (Epi)
Accepted: Harvard (3/1), UW (2/15), Berkeley (2/13), Tulane (2/10), Emory (1/29)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Welp, in at Yale and Harvard today. Sadly, I also received an unofficial rejection from Berkeley after emailing them about when decisions are going to be sent yesterday. Pretty disheartening, since that was my #1 and only in-state school I applied for. Not sure i want the exorbitant amounts of debt that all the other schools will rack up for me.

UGPA: 3.55 from top 10 university
Major/Minor: Human Biology major, psychology minor
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): (2/2012) V 161, Q 167, W 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 2 years full-time social science research assistant on NIH funded large-scale projects

All (except UW which doesn't use SOPHAS) were mailed 10/14 and have gotten responses saying they've been received except from Columbia. Submitted UW later: 11/29.

Applied: UC Berkeley (HSB), UW (HS, SBS), Columbia (SMS), BU (HBHE), Harvard (SM in SHDH), UMich (HBHE), UNC (HB), Yale (SBS)
Accepted: UNC, UMich, Yale, Columbia, Harvard
Rejected: unofficially UC Berkeley
Waitlisted:

Welp, in at Yale and Harvard today. Sadly, I also received an unofficial rejection from Berkeley after emailing them about when decisions are going to be sent yesterday. Pretty disheartening, since that was my #1 and only in-state school I applied for. Not sure i want the exorbitant amounts of debt that all the other schools will rack up for me.

UGPA: 3.55 from top 10 university
Major/Minor: Human Biology major, psychology minor
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): (2/2012) V 161, Q 167, W 4.5
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 2 years full-time social science research assistant on NIH funded large-scale projects

All (except UW which doesn't use SOPHAS) were mailed 10/14 and have gotten responses saying they've been received except from Columbia. Submitted UW later: 11/29.

Applied: UC Berkeley (HSB), UW (HS, SBS), Columbia (SMS), BU (HBHE), Harvard (SM in SHDH), UMich (HBHE), UNC (HB), Yale (SBS)
Accepted: UNC, UMich, Yale, Columbia, Harvard
Rejected: unofficially UC Berkeley
Waitlisted:

Congrats on your acceptances!!! I know how you feel about the money situation. I got rejected by my one and only in-state school (UNC) a while back. Now I'm considering going to Columbia, which is one of the most expensive schools... sigh

Congrats on the scholarship!!!

Hello! Has anyone applying to University of Washington MPH in Social & Behavioral Sciences heard anything??? We were meant to hear back today I believe. Thanks!

As of today, in at Harvard accelerated MPH Health Policy and Management...

Received receipt of application confirmation email on 2/1

UGPA 3.5 (One of the service academies) Physics Major
MCAT 36
MD 2010
Finishing Emergency Med Residency this year, some research in Ethiopia

Accepted to Harvard for Health Policy and Management this evening.

I don't have full funding for this year so it looks like I'll be turning down all my offers - which sucks.

UGPA: 3.37 (Public University, Honors College)
Major/Minor: Political Science, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) (Honors Thesis: Geospatial analysis of fast-food outlets and socioeconomic factors correlated with type-II diabetes and obesity)
GRE: 152Q, 162V,4.0W

Experience/Research:
2 years - US Peace Corps/Guatemala (developed HIV and nutrition curriculum, worked for PEPFAR HIV initiative)
1 year - Research Assistant (paid, full time) Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Biobehavioral Health Disparities Lab; work on health disparities among Latino migrants in eastern Washington State
1 year- health policy research (undergraduate) @ Consortium for Science, Policy, & Outcomes
Fluent in Spanish
NCAA/PAC-10 Athlete, All-American Athlete (reason GPA is a little on the low side)

Applied: UW, Tulane, GW, Columbia, LSHTM
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am pretty concerned that my GPA is too low for admission to most schools; is this true? Does anyone know if a 3.3 is too low? I can always apply again next year I guess ...:)

Got in to GWU today :). Also got waitlisted for scholarships there lol. That's a first! :)

UGPA: 3.37 (Public University, Honors College)
Major/Minor: Political Science, Geographical Information Systems (GIS) (Honors Thesis: Geospatial analysis of fast-food outlets and socioeconomic factors correlated with type-II diabetes and obesity)
GRE: 152Q, 162V,4.0W

Experience/Research:
2 years - US Peace Corps/Guatemala (developed HIV and nutrition curriculum, worked for PEPFAR HIV initiative)
1 year - Research Assistant (paid, full time) Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Biobehavioral Health Disparities Lab; work on health disparities among Latino migrants in eastern Washington State
1 year- health policy research (undergraduate) @ Consortium for Science, Policy, & Outcomes
Fluent in Spanish
NCAA/PAC-10 Athlete, All-American Athlete (reason GPA is a little on the low side)

Applied: UW, Tulane, GW, Columbia, LSHTM
Accepted:
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I am pretty concerned that my GPA is too low for admission to most schools; is this true? Does anyone know if a 3.3 is too low? I can always apply again next year I guess ...:)

I think your work experience easily makes up for your GPA, which isn't even that low!

Harvard needs to hurry up and send out e-mails. Berkeley too. I don't want to be waiting until halfway through March to hear from them!!