Rejected, Accepted, Waitlisted: The R.A.W. Data Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone hear back from MSPH at University of Michigan or UCLA? I still haven't received any word from them. If you get late decision does that mean you're on the cusp of rejection and acceptance?

Feedback anyone?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey there! I also have a Political Science degree, and was initially interested in the dual MPH/JD programs at many of these schools. I may still eventually apply to law school, but given the costs and outlook for legal grads currently, I'm putting it off.

Have you done any research on the opportunities for individuals with just a BA/BS and MPH in getting involved in public policy? Specifically, I'm probably looking to do policy work for a think tank in the DC area after graduation from an MPH. Have you looked into this as well? Any thoughts or suggestions you have are welcome!

Thanks

I'm quite confident there are many public policy opps for BA/MPH people. The MPH in policy is essentially an MPP or MPA that is focused solely on health. Most employers accept either when it comes to health policy and consulting.

I'd consider going to GW or Hopkins if you want to end up in DC. Those schools have the most DC policy ties.

An update to my previous post in this thread

UGPA: 3.97
Major/Minor: Chemistry (Honors), University Honors (Co-Major), Slavic Studies (Minor)
GradGPA (if applicable): N/A
Grad Studies (if applicable): M.D.
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): MCAT 32Q
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Have about eight published papers (first author on most) and a few other research projects on the go. Did basic science research while in undergrad as well. Was captain of a varsity sports team in university, lots of other leadership activities and awards. Recently worked as a medical consultant, and also interviewed people for my medical school.

Applied: Johns Hopkins (12/1/2012), UNC [Health Policy/Management] (12/15/2012), Columbia [Health Policy/Management] (12/15/2012), Harvard [Health Policy/Management] (12/15/2012), Yale (12/15/2012)
Accepted: UNC (1/20/2013), Columbia (2/22/2013), Harvard (3/6/2013), Johns Hopkins (3/9/2013)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm quite confident there are many public policy opps for BA/MPH people. The MPH in policy is essentially an MPP or MPA that is focused solely on health. Most employers accept either when it comes to health policy and consulting.

I'd consider going to GW or Hopkins if you want to end up in DC. Those schools have the most DC policy ties.

Thanks! It's a struggle, because I have in-state tuition for the joint MPA/MPH program at the University of Washington, which also has good internship connections for state-level policy. But, I definitely agree with you that DC is the best location for overall exposure and development to health policy and consulting firms. Maybe I should go in to education policy and make it less difficult for us to make this kind of decision....this is a joke that we have to pay so much for graduate education...

An update to my previous post in this thread

Major/Minor: Chemistry (Honors), University Honors (Co-Major), Slavic Studies (Minor)
Experience/Research (please, be brief): Have about eight published papers (first author on most) and a few other research projects on the go. Did basic science research while in undergrad as well. Was captain of a varsity sports team in university, lots of other leadership activities and awards. Recently worked as a medical consultant, and also interviewed people for my medical school.

Applied: Johns Hopkins (12/1/2012), UNC [Health Policy/Management] (12/15/2012), Columbia [Health Policy/Management] (12/15/2012), Harvard [Health Policy/Management] (12/15/2012), Yale (12/15/2012)
Accepted: UNC (1/20/2013), Columbia (2/22/2013), Harvard (3/6/2013), Johns Hopkins (3/9/2013)
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

Pretty nice, they would be crazy to reject you though considering your stats lol.

Pretty nice, they would be crazy to reject you though considering your stats lol.

Haha, thanks. I'm actually trying to get a deferral right now to Harvard, which is my top choice. I just got into a plastic surgery residency, and they won't let me go off to do a masters for a year or two. I actually applied to MPH programs as a fall back just in case I didn't match. It's still something I am very interested in and want to do regardless though.

I'm actually a med student too! how did your MPH help you for residency?

Thanks! It's a struggle, because I have in-state tuition for the joint MPA/MPH program at the University of Washington, which also has good internship connections for state-level policy. But, I definitely agree with you that DC is the best location for overall exposure and development to health policy and consulting firms. Maybe I should go in to education policy and make it less difficult for us to make this kind of decision....this is a joke that we have to pay so much for graduate education...

Haha. I dont know how much UW's tuition costs, but I know that Johns Hopkins MSPH program tuition is really quite reasonable. Like 50-60k for 1 year of classes and 1 year of internship that turns into a DC job at the end. I mean, I bet that is tons more than UW's tuition and not an insignificant amount of debt to take on, but I think for your career aims it might be worth it.

Then again, UW's MPA program is so highly ranked, it might be worth it to stay in the big W and just move afterwards.

Last edited:
I'm actually a med student too! how did your MPH help you for residency?

I'm starting residency in July. I plan on doing my MPH during my residency, between either my first and second years, or my second and third years

Haha. I dont know how much UW's tuition costs, but I know that Johns Hopkins MSPH program tuition is really quite reasonable. Like 50-60k for 1 year of classes and 1 year of internship that turns into a DC job at the end. I mean, I bet that is tons more than UW's tuition and not an insignificant amount of debt to take on, but I think for your career aims it might be worth it.

Then again, UW's MPA program is so highly ranked, it might be worth it to stay in the big W and just move afterwards.

For me, UW is free :) It's kind of hard to beat free. But thanks for the run-down on Hopkins. Best of luck to you!

Rejected from Berkeley.

3.8 GPA
GRE 155 V 157 Q 5.0
Sorority, volunteer, CNA, research for alcohol abuse and prevention center, Women's Health Committe Chair

Not surprised ! Congrats to all those admitted!

Major/Minor: Business/Exercise Science
GradGPA (if applicable): 3.5
GRE (9/2012): Verbal: 157, Quant: 155, Writing: 4.6

2 yrs work experience (one in education, one public health), interested in social/behavioral sciences with a focus in health comm

Applied: Emory MPH, BU MPH, Yale MPH, GW MPH, Harvard MS, Hopkins MSPH
Accepted: Emory MPH, BU MPH, Yale MPH, GW MPH, Hopkins MSPH
Rejected: Harvard MS

Still Deciding!! :confused:

I contacted NYU about admissions into their MPH program and we can expect decisions early next week.

Yale HPM is keeping me antsy! I am considering just giving the office a call.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
UGPA: 3.1
Major/Minor: Envrionmental Health Science (accredited undergraduate program)
GRE (including date taken): too terrible to tell anyone
Experience/Research (please, be brief):
- EHS Intern for medical manufacturing company
-VP of EHS/AQMD club on campus
-various volunteering (most with the American Red Cross)

Applied: UTexas-Houston, UIowa, UMinn,UCLA, UIC, UPitt, UMass
Accepted:UTexas-Houston, UIowa, UMinn, UMass,UPitt :D:D:D
Waiting: UCLA :mad: hate the waiting

As of right now i have no idea where i'm gonna go. Such difficult decisions:idea:

This is super late and probably no longer helpful to anyone, but I got a no from Harvard (Epi) Friday. I was just really sick this weekend (Salmonella, apparently) and am just now up to being on the computer.

Congrats to everyone, and good luck to everyone still waiting :)

FINALLY heard back from UPitt's IDM department. It was good news!

FINALLY heard back from UPitt's IDM department. It was good news!

Same here. To be honest, I completely forgot I applied to that department at Pitt. I have already turned down another program at Pitt.

Same here. To be honest, I completely forgot I applied to that department at Pitt. I have already turned down another program at Pitt.

Which concentration did you apply to in IDM?

You just heard back yesterday too? If that was the first batch of decisions...they definitely took their sweet time with them, since Admitted Students Day is next week.
Also: I didn't know you could apply to more than one dept at Pitt. D:

Last update. Plan on going to Harvard, in the process of asking for a deferral. Good luck to everyone!

Applied: Johns Hopkins (12/1/2012), UNC [Health Policy/Management] (12/15/2012), Columbia [Health Policy/Management] (12/15/2012), Harvard [Health Policy/Management] (12/15/2012), Yale [Applied Biostatistics & Epidemiology] (12/15/2012)
Accepted: UNC (1/20/2013), Columbia (2/22/2013), Harvard (3/6/2013), Johns Hopkins (3/9/2013), Yale (3/15/2013)
Rejected: None
Waitlisted: None

Rejected from Harvard :(
At this point I'm choosing between Yale and Columbia. I ruled out Emory and Michigan, and I haven't heard back from Berkeley yet but I know it's not one of my top choices.

You just heard back yesterday too? If that was the first batch of decisions...they definitely took their sweet time with them, since Admitted Students Day is next week.
Also: I didn't know you could apply to more than one dept at Pitt. D:

Yup I just found out Thursday (I think).

At some schools I applied to, you could apply to more than one program in case you were rejected from the same program. I assumed Pitt was like this too when let you apply to more than one. Nope. You applied to both at once. So I never actually submitted a statement of purpose or whatever to them :confused:

I was admitted to Infectious Disease Management, Intervention, and Community Practice (MIC).

Received an email this morning and I am accepted at NYU. Called Yale and they are still looking at my application! My stats are somewhere else in this post if interested.

what987-
You're previous post about BU came off a little rude in my opinion. The program is great and I wouldn't disparage it or their admissions in any way.

Just had to comment that BU admissions is a little off-putting. It is weird that they just sent a snail mail and then asked for a decision four day after the snail mail arrived. Of course we should all try our best and answer communication from schools in a timely manner, but applicants aren't exactly sitting around on a block of ice all day, very obvious that somebody who is relying on e-mail (like most of us in the 21st Century) and away from the primary residence could miss this notification. It seems more like they are trying to just make sure they fill their class vs. actually treating the applicant with respect. Yes, we ARE all lucky to be considering graduate education and a great field like public health, but applicants in general, are just people, and don't like to deal with rude admissions and it naturally raises questions about the school, be it BU or some other place.

I wouldn't necessarily call BU's program great, perhaps good/solid, but not great, at least not in Global Health! There's nothing wrong with being just a middle of the road school, but some schools are a little bit more sensitive than others.

The program is great and I wouldn't disparage it or their admissions in any way. With a lot of these schools, it really comes down to fit. BU has terrific programs in some departments, and others that may not be as strong, but maybe they just felt you were not a fit for your field, not necessarily that you were "overqualified."

It is no secret that BU won't send out acceptances to all of the superstars as they apparently don't want to play a waiting game for a month, and rather just try to target those applicants who they think will want to go there when they have evaluated their options and all is said and done. It is kinda naive to think that schools evaluate an application purely on merit.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm still waiting for my decision from BU... less than 4 weeks before the deadline.

GPA:3.75 (WES Evaluation)
Degree: International MD
GRE 12/20/2012 - V 161 ;Q 157 ; W 4
TOEFL 111
Experience/Research : 1 year 10 months - working experience as a physician. Volunteered in medical camps and health awareness campaigns.

Applied:All Epidemiology-- U Buffalo, U Albany, UTHSC - Houston, Drexel, BU, SLU, UMDNJ, Texas A&M,UMass
Accepted: Drexel, UTHSC, Texas A&M, BU, SLU, UMDNJ
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

I also came across your original comment (I see it's since been heavily redacted) and couldn't help wondering why you felt it was OK to react like an entitled, whiny brat. It's understandable that you were upset, but there was no need to disparage a program that any of us would be lucky to go to just because you didn't get the acceptance and royal treatment you apparently deserved. Letting your emotions get the better of you is a weak excuse and will never cut it in a real-world setting (i.e., not an anonymous forum). Every applicant here and elsewhere is facing the same (and worse) stressors you are, but seem to be doing so with better attitudes and more maturity. I'm glad someone had to courage to call you out on your behavior -- it appears to have caused you to reflect on what a major faux pas that was. Hopefully you've learned your lesson the easy way.

For the record, I was admitted to BU and will not be attending ($$).

I don't get why everybody is beating up the poster, I guess everybody's nerves are rubbed raw at this point in the application cycle. Is the "royal treatment" now getting a timely waitlist/acceptance email?:D I guess the post-office figured out how to charge for sending emails and people are going back to the old ways! Certainly the school can route a message to the applicants' email addresses?

I don't know what the poster said before the post was edited, but in the past there have been anecdotes of applicants having difficulty with BU admissions. There was the peace corps volunteer who had some sort of problem with sending a form oversees and apparently admissions was very unhelpful and rude.

Sure, we could all be more mature, but at some point you wonder if it is more the school than the applicant.:confused: Certainly nobody is reading about these problems with BU and is thinking Gosh, I'd like to go to that school.

I received the following email from BU on Wednesday (3/13):

"We recently received your application to the MPH program at Boston University and wanted to get back to you immediately. We are in the midst of reviewing a record number of applications and like what we see in you. MPH programs differ - their curriculum and content, faculty, the opportunities to be found at each insitution - and each offers a unique experience. And because our selection process is very rigorous, we want to be sure that the students we admit will add to our culture of challenge and dedication.

Please tell us what you think you can add to our tight-knit community of students and alumni. We're not looking for a specific answer here; we'd just like to know a bit more about you and why BUSPH is the right place for you.

Please reply directly to this email and keep it short and simple.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards"

After reading complaints from other posters, I have decided to not respond. Hopefully I won't be missing out on any awesome scholarships, but it seems like those are far and few between anyway.

Has anyone accepted UCLA or Berkeley to see what financial aid will be? :lame: Or is that bad practice? Just curious.

Accepted: UCLA, Berkeley, and Columbia
Waiting: Yale --- What's there deal? --- *tic toc*

Thought I'd finally update since I am in the decision making process.

GPA: 3.3 (3.7 in last 2 years)
GRE: V 157 Q 153 W 4.5

Experience: 1 year of Americorps working on food insecurity and nutrition, 1 year mentoring underprivileged high school students, 6 months researching HIV risk in Cape Verdean immigrants, Emergency preparedness internship, Camp councilor for 2 summers, 3 year D1 varsity athlete

Applied for all MPH social and behavioral health/community health education programs. Submitted Apps to SOPHAS 12/24, had some major issues with SOPHAS, not mailed until 2/28.

Applied: UTSPH- Austin Campus, UC Denver, Yale, BU, UMass, UIC

Accepted: UTSPH- Austin Campus, Yale, UC Denver, UIC, Umass, BU w/ 12,000 merit

Rejected: None :)

Last edited:
I received the following email from BU on Wednesday (3/13):

"We recently received your application to the MPH program at Boston University and wanted to get back to you immediately. We are in the midst of reviewing a record number of applications and like what we see in you. MPH programs differ - their curriculum and content, faculty, the opportunities to be found at each insitution - and each offers a unique experience. And because our selection process is very rigorous, we want to be sure that the students we admit will add to our culture of challenge and dedication.

Please tell us what you think you can add to our tight-knit community of students and alumni. We're not looking for a specific answer here; we'd just like to know a bit more about you and why BUSPH is the right place for you.

Please reply directly to this email and keep it short and simple.

I look forward to your reply.

Best regards"

After reading complaints from other posters, I have decided to not respond. Hopefully I won't be missing out on any awesome scholarships, but it seems like those are far and few between anyway.

Has anyone accepted UCLA or Berkeley to see what financial aid will be? :lame: Or is that bad practice? Just curious.

Accepted: UCLA, Berkeley, and Columbia
Waiting: Yale --- What's there deal? --- *tic toc*

Accepting just to find out what financial aid is isn't really the best way to go about it (Dave Clark from UCLA specifically called it out as a behavior he hopes we don't take part in). However, I have accepted but still do not see anything on myFAO.

UGPA: 3.9 (Cal State)
Major/Minor: Business Admin (Computer Information Systems, Marketing Minor)
GRE (including date taken) or Other Test (if applicable): V 162 (89%), Q 161 (83%), AW 5.0 (92%) taken 11/2011
Experience/Research (please, be brief): 4 years as a consultant doing data analysis & project management (focused on healthcare companies for the past 2 years), various volunteer work with community organizations including establishing a mentoring program for Filipino Americans

Applied: UCLA (CHS), Columbia (SMS), Emory (BSHE), GWU (Health Promotion), SFSU (Community Health Education)
Accepted: GWU (12/21 via email followed by snail mail package; accepted into PCH Fellows Program); Emory (1/23; via OPUS, $4k through Rollins Earn and Learn program), UCLA (2/11 from CHS dept via email, 2/12 from Grad Division; $10k University Fellows); Columbia (2/22 via email; financial aid all loans); SFSU (3/19 via email)
Rejected: N/A
Waitlisted: N/A

After a lot of thinking, I've decided to attend UCLA. It's not perfect, but they have a lot to offer. See post: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=13823105#post13823105

I haven't officially declined anywhere yet, but will probably get around to it later this week. Perhaps those who have been waitlisted at Columbia, Emory, or GWU will take my place. :)

Last edited:
Anyone still waiting on UW or SDSU?

SDSU sent me an acceptance letter via snail mail sometime last week. I didn't pick it up till Saturday the 16th since I was on Spring break at my university.

I also got an acceptance letter for SDSU through snail mail about a week and a half ago. They want a decision from me by March 27th and since that's next week, I think you should be hearing from them VERY soon.

Last edited:
@pbhatt, glenvorian and SeattleJER: Are you guys considering SDSU at all? Their deadline is way too soon in my opinion and they didn't say anything about scholarship or fin aid yet.

@pbhatt, glenvorian and SeattleJER: Are you guys considering SDSU at all? Their deadline is way too soon in my opinion and they didn't say anything about scholarship or fin aid yet.

No, I'm not. Their deadline IS way too early compared to other schools and this really puts me off, as I don't have enough time to really research the school/program since I'm going to be leaving the country for the next two weeks. Nor have they made any effort to reach out to me to give me info on their program like other schools. I didn't even get a notification for an admitted students day (not sure if there even is one).

No, I'm not. Their deadline IS way too early compared to other schools and this really puts me off, as I don't have enough time to really research the school/program since I'm going to be leaving the country for the next two weeks. Nor have they made any effort to reach out to me to give me info on their program like other schools. I didn't even get a notification for an admitted students day (not sure if there even is one).

If you haven't heard back, its likely that you are on the wait list. UW has made initial decisions so far. Good luck!

I also got an acceptance letter for SDSU through snail mail about a week and a half ago. They want a decision from me by March 27th and since that's next week, I think you should be hearing from them VERY soon.

SDSU sent me an acceptance letter via snail mail sometime last week. I didn't pick it up till Saturday the 16th since I was on Spring break at my university.

I had also heard back from SDSU through snail mail about 1 and a half weeks back. I feel that May 27th is a really early deadline and am not really sure how good the school is...no mention about any fin aid also...

Thanks for the info everyone! Is the March 27 deadline for everyone? My sophas application was mailed to SDSU last week so idk if they'll even get back to me until next week or so. I hope they don't ask me to decide by March 27th... I haven't even heard back from my other schools yet.

if anyone applied to the mhs in epi at hopkins, they just told me that they hope to have decisions by this friday afternoon. the wait is almost over!

Received admissions congratulations email from Hopkins yesterday for Epi. Still waiting on Berkeley. It's doubtful I'll attend JH since it's cross-country for me.

Stats:
Undergrad: Chemistry - 3.82 GPA from large, respected state school in the west

Graduate: PhD in Biological Chemistry (emphasis in Oncology at a top cancer hospital and research facility). Published relevant papers. Graduated 2011. 3.88 GPA

Relevant post-graduate work:
Spent 1 year developing public health related grants for non profit in NYC
Spent 3 months doing hands on public health field work in rural parts of SE Asia (Borneo).

Applied: JH (Epi), Berkeley (Epi)
Accepted: JH (Epi)
Rejected:

Has ANYONE heard from Yale this week? I'm going nuts waiting for a decision from them...

Are you guys saying that SDSU wants you to make a decision by March 27th or May 27th, cause that's a big difference? Also, what kind of aid do they give (i.e. not just loans)?

Are you guys saying that SDSU wants you to make a decision by March 27th or May 27th, cause that's a big difference? Also, what kind of aid do they give (i.e. not just loans)?

i am sorry...I meant March 27th..

Wes gpa-3.52(first attempt)

gre-v=155 q=151 awa=3

toefl=103

applied-

msst(mt sinai-ny)

univ north texas

umdnj-nj

uab

wku=kentucky

waiting for admission...

Literally the two schools I have been waiting to hear back from e-mailed me within the same amount of time, Berkeley at 4:50 and UNC at 5:06. Good to finally hear something. Rejected from Berkeley (HSB) but I knew this already because I called last week. Good luck to those of you waiting for EPI!

Waitlisted at UNC for Health Behavior (they said they had a record 400 applications). If anyone is not going to UNC for health behavior please please let them know. This has been my dream school for a very long time and my dream program that I haven't yet found a suitable second choice for. I would love you forever! Haha.

Literally the two schools I have been waiting to hear back from e-mailed me within the same amount of time, Berkeley at 4:50 and UNC at 5:06. Good to finally hear something. Rejected from Berkeley (HSB) but I knew this already because I called last week. Good luck to those of you waiting for EPI!

Waitlisted at UNC for Health Behavior (they said they had a record 400 applications). If anyone is not going to UNC for health behavior please please let them know. This has been my dream school for a very long time and my dream program that I haven't yet found a suitable second choice for. I would love you forever! Haha.

you may be in luck, i believe i'll be turning down my spot ;) hope it goes to you!!! i also was rejected from Berkeley HSB yesterday (but i already knew as well because i emailed a few weeks back)--bummer since it was MY dream school!