Sexual harassment from interviewer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if you answered this before, but if you think the OP should report the interviewer, how do you think the med school should respond?

Assuming the report is well substantiated, the medical school should:

1. Take the report seriously
2. Remove the student interviewer from the adcom (to avoid biasing the results)
3. Investigate the student interviewer separately with the student ethics committee (or something similar), with further insight required from OP and witnesses (this is why the process can be complicated)

If the report is backed with sufficient evidence, the medical school will likely expel the student interviewer. I don't see why OP would be in danger of being rejected/sabotaged by submitting a serious, well-backed report. Sending a baseless/falsified report, however, will backfire severely on the OP, and other schools will come to know about it and act accordingly.

Members don't see this ad.

Got to love how everyone's assuming drunkenness even though there was no mention of alcohol in the OP. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OP, I've never been in your shoes. I can only wish you the best. It's an awful situation to be in, 100%. Maybe you could disclose that you knew him? Maybe they'd let you interview with a different panel. (Then that opens this Pandora's box: Would you go if you knew he was there?)

And I suppose using that question would be how I would decide to handle this situation. Would I feel like female med students and patients are safe with him? If I don't think they are, then I'd let the adcoms know.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The last time he posted he was defending his comments and this has nothing to do about respect he is defending his questionable comments so I have every right to ask him why he backed down . Did he have a change of heart ? would be the first time that happened on SDN. . Just saying is another one of those stupid cliches
A.) What are you on about?

B.) You have the "right" to do whatever you want. It's just pointless to keep trying to drag him back into the thread when he's clearly ignoring you.

I'm sorry if you answered this before, but if you think the OP should report the interviewer
, how do you think the med school should respond?
Remove the student's input from OPs admission decision...and encourage OP to file criminal charges.

Schools should not be in the business of conducting investigations in matters that are criminal...refer to law enforcement and operate under innocent until proven guilty

Reactions: 6 users

3. Investigate the student interviewer separately with the student ethics committee (or something similar), with further insight required from OP and witnesses (this is why the process can be complicated)

If the report is backed with sufficient evidence, the medical school will likely expel the student interviewer. I don't see why OP would be in danger of being rejected/sabotaged by submitting a serious, well-backed report. Sending a baseless/falsified report, however, will backfire severely on the OP, and other schools will come to know about it and act accordingly.

What amount of effort do you expect the medical school to go through to verify the claim? They may check if a police report is filed but do you expect them to assign a detective to the case?

What amount of effort do you expect the medical school to go through to verify the claim? They may check if a police report is filed but do you expect them to assign a detective to the case?

Well, as a school, they have a far shorter ceiling to hit. It doesn't have to be beyond a reasonable doubt. It just has to be more likely that it occurred than not, if memory serves me right.

Reactions: 1 user
Well, as a school, they have a far shorter ceiling to hit. It doesn't have to be beyond a reasonable doubt. It just has to be more likely that it occurred than not, if memory serves me right.

This is not an undergraduate institution. They do not want him to be expelled. Medical schools are selective and each student is an investment. They are not going to call up the members of the party for attestation or dust ops tits for fingerprints.

A.) What are you on about?

B.) You have the "right" to do whatever you want. It's just pointless to keep trying to drag him back into the thread when he's clearly ignoring you.
Ignoring me , or running away from his comments ... Anyway he is a big boy and can defend himself .

Expel someone over some random person's word?

Reactions: 3 users
Why are we arguing what's going to happen to him? Op just asked whether to report him. at the very least, it will prevent him from having a say in her app

apparently there were many witnesses

Witnesses, at a frat party, over a year ago, quite possibly under the influence of alcohol at the time, who felt no intervention was necessary while directly observing the act. :cigar:

Members don't see this ad :)
Way too late now.

Too much he said she said

I suggest that you write off this school

Hi SDN,

So I have an issue, and I am mainly looking for the input of Adcom members, though I suppose advice from anyone is welcome. About a year ago I was at a party and was the victim of sexual harassment. A friend of my brother kept grabbing my boobs and groin and followed me around the whole night while making lewd comments about what he wanted to do to me. Later that night, when almost everyone had left, he cornered me in the garage and tried to force me to kiss him. I struck him hard in the face and that seemed to snap him out of it. He kind of laughed and slapped me on the butt, but he left the house after that. The whole incident left me upset and angry, but I didn't report it to anyone.
Fast forward to the present where I saw him again, this time as one of my student interviewers...I am really torn about what I should do. Should I report him to the school? I had no idea this individual was a medical student, and I am very concerned that he may abuse patients one day. On the other hand, I don't want to create such a ruckus that I am denied from the school. On the other other hand, who am I to ruin a young man's life for one night of stupid behavior? I would especially appreciate the input of @gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM @mimelim

Thank you

Reactions: 7 users
NO!

Where in ANY OF MY POSTS DID I SAY THIS WAS OK??? I prefaced every single one of my posts with my personal objections to the dude's actions.
I'm attacking you for lack of sufficient condemnation, not for approval. All that stuff you said about you don't know him, alcohol, nothing substantive happened is disgusting and doesn't become reasonable by putting "I object to this but..." in front of it.

Reactions: 4 users
These witnesses did not intervene... Strange!
Indeed, and if OP is lying then we're discussing a hypothetical instead...does nothing to forgive some of the views in the thread.

Way too late now.

Do med students face a very different process than undergrads when accused of sexual assault? Like do they get innocent until proven guilty instead of preponderance, or are they handled only by police instead of and/or with school investigation? Because happening a while ago doesn't do much to protect someone from multiple witnesses...and a year ago is well within the statute of lim. for most states for even the lowest ranking charges

Edit: I realize this probably doesn't apply when it's a non-student filing I'm just curious about this

Way too late now.

Instead of writing it off why not just report him if she has nothing to lose with the school.

Indeed, and if OP is lying then we're discussing a hypothetical instead...does nothing to forgive some of the views in the thread.
If the incident happened, I don't think any sane individual would condone what that guy did... But some people were quick to say to report the individual without asking the right questions...

A guy was harassing you and following every where at a party and no one said a thing... That seems strange!

He was (is) your brother's friend and you did not know anything about him (like where he is going to school)... Did you even talk to your brother about the incident etc...?

I question the original post (most woman call them breast, at the very least you could of told your brother who should of handled it immediately) But in the event that it is true the school most likely wont take your word too serious (could just be a vengeful ex-gf) and they are certainly not going to throw out a student based on it.

Way too late now.

Ask to speak to the admissions dean.
Tell him/her what happened.

Interesting disagreement

So you guys would discourage OP from filing a report because the accusation of sexual assault doesn't have sufficient evidence to be taken seriously? I do agree not having a police report is a serious setback for OP.

I question the original post (most woman call them breast, at the very least you could of told your brother who should of handled it immediately) But in the event that it is true the school most likely wont take your word too serious (could just be a vengeful ex-gf) and they are certainly not going to throw out a student based on it.

just wow

Reactions: 3 users
If the incident happened, I don't think any sane individual would condone what that guy did... But some people were quick to say to report the individual without asking the right questions...

A guy was harassing you and following every where at a party and no one said a thing... That seems strange!

He was (is) your brother's friend and you did not know anything about him (like where he is going to school)... Did you even talk to your brother about the incident etc...?
Not condone, but if he did do it, some would defend him from being revealed to his school

Witnesses...

Hi SDN,

So I have an issue, and I am mainly looking for the input of Adcom members, though I suppose advice from anyone is welcome. About a year ago I was at a party and was the victim of sexual harassment. A friend of my brother kept grabbing my boobs and groin and followed me around the whole night while making lewd comments about what he wanted to do to me. Later that night, when almost everyone had left, he cornered me in the garage and tried to force me to kiss him. I struck him hard in the face and that seemed to snap him out of it. He kind of laughed and slapped me on the butt, but he left the house after that. The whole incident left me upset and angry, but I didn't report it to anyone.
Fast forward to the present where I saw him again, this time as one of my student interviewers...I am really torn about what I should do. Should I report him to the school? I had no idea this individual was a medical student, and I am very concerned that he may abuse patients one day. On the other hand, I don't want to create such a ruckus that I am denied from the school. On the other other hand, who am I to ruin a young man's life for one night of stupid behavior? I would especially appreciate the input of @gyngyn @Goro @LizzyM @mimelim

Thank you

A year ago, a guy that your brother knows was groping you and making lewd remarks at a party. Were you enrolled in school at the time? Was the man enrolled in school at the time?
If you were both students in the same school and he violated a school rule about sexual behavior between students, then you could have reported him a year ago. You could have filed a criminal complaint a year ago. Maybe you can still file but I tend to agree with Goro that the police may not take a report after so much time has elapsed (in some jurisdictions, you may have exceeded the statute of limitations for prosecution of this type of crime).

http://victimsofcrime.org/docs/DNA Resource Center/sol-for-sexual-assault-check-chart---final---copy.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Now you interview at a med school and the same guy is your interviewer and he he gives no clue that he remembers you. When you saw him and recognized him as your brother's friend (or acquaintance), you did not go directly to med school admissions administrators and say that your assigned interviewer is your brother's friend and you think that perhaps you should be assigned to someone else.

I don't see any point in reporting to the medical school A YEAR LATER and after he has been your interviewer that he groped you at a party and made lewd remarks and tried unsuccessfully to get you to kiss him. I'm sorry but the whole thing might be interpreted of shutting him down after a bad interview experience.

The time to act was when the event happened: first when the assault happened and then when the interview assignment happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
we're really scraping the barrel here now, huh?

Taking the OP at face value, if she were my daughter, I would not want her to be in the same school as the guy she described.

I suspect that gyngyn's comment was more towards the angle of removing a potential biased interviewer from the conversation of the OP's acceptance.

Interesting disagreement

So you guys would discourage OP from filing a report because the accusation of sexual assault doesn't have sufficient evidence to be taken seriously? I do agree not having a police report is a serious setback for OP.

Taking the OP at face value, if she were my daughter, I would not want her to be in the same school as the guy she described.

I suspect that gyngyn's comment was more towards the angle of removing a potential biased interviewer from the conversation of the OP's acceptance.

So would you discourage OP from filing a sexual assault report on the student interviewer?

Not condone, but if he did do it, some would defend him from being revealed to his school

Yeah! Condone was not the proper word. But if that happened, OP should at least mention to someone that she had a prior incident with that interviewer... and it will be up to the school to investigate further.

A year ago, a guy that your brother knows was groping you and making lewd remarks at a party. Were you enrolled in school at the time? Was the man enrolled in school at the time?
If you were both students in the same school and he violated a school rule about sexual behavior between students, then you could have reported him a year ago. You could have filed a criminal complaint a year ago. Maybe you can still file but I tend to agree with Goro that the police may not take a report after so much time has elapsed (in some jurisdictions, you may have exceeded the statute of limitations for prosecution of this type of crime).

http://victimsofcrime.org/docs/DNA Resource Center/sol-for-sexual-assault-check-chart---final---copy.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Now you interview at a med school and the same guy is your interviewer and he he gives no clue that he remembers you. When you saw him and recognized him as your brother's friend (or acquaintance), you did not go directly to med school admissions administrators and say that your assigned interviewer is your brother's friend and you think that perhaps you should be assigned to someone else.

I don't see any point in reporting to the medical school A YEAR LATER and after he has been your interviewee that he groped you at a party and made lewd remarks and tried unsuccessfully to get you to kiss him. I'm sorry but the whole thing might be interpreted of shutting him down after a bad interview experience.

The time to act was when the event happened: first when the assault happened and then when the interview assignment happened.
Y'know, i expect that Erza Scarlet would be a lot more empowering and powerful young woman, enough to one-shot the student interviewer with ease for what he had done to you :naughty::naughty:

In all seriousness, this is a difficult and troubling scenario. You didn't report him when this incident happened so it's difficult to present your case effectively right now. Even if you accuse him of sexual assault privately to the adcom, you don't have much concrete evidence now since the long duration weakens your case.

I hope adcoms can prove my statement wrong

So i was initially correct in that the duration does matter for the sexual assault report to be valid. I was mistaken that the severity of such report and presence of witnesses would limit the impact of duration, especially since OP didn't file the report.

With all the emotions and bad arguments creating an ugly smokescreen in this thread, this is clearly the most effective answer to OP (and other related) scenario.

Appreciate your (and @Goro and @gyngyn) help as always.

If the statute of limitations hasn't expired, she absolutely should. At there would be some paper record. Assault is assault whether it's with hands, or a crowbar.

Based on the scenario and context provided, it appears OP has no tangible evidence to back her claims, and it appears the student interviewer escaped without having sexual assault listed on his record.

I agree with @LizzyM. I'd encourage the OP to report to whichever authorities are appropriate at the place where the incident occurred, though it may be that too much time has elapsed. I don't think reporting to the student's current med school would do any good. If something comes of the sexual assault investigation, the med school will find out regardless. Either way, I think OP should write off this school if she has the luxury.

To see some of the earlier rationalizing here is disappointing and disgusting, but given what I see almost every day, not at all surprising.

because OP said "boob", which doesn't fit your preconceived notions of how all women speak....right.
O boy your one of those people look sorry it just sound like 12 year old wrote it when I read it call them whatever you like, OP would have been better off PMing this to adcoms

They are not going to call up the members of the party for attestation or dust ops tits for fingerprints.

Wouldn't that be sexual assault?

I'm attacking you for lack of sufficient condemnation, not for approval. All that stuff you said about you don't know him, alcohol, nothing substantive happened is disgusting and doesn't become reasonable by putting "I object to this but..." in front of it.

I thought he was just saying it was common, as in he's not surprised. And it's definitely unfortunate, but we should all be thankful OP wasn't hurt or more seriously sexually violated.

Also a college party without alcohol is quite literally a paradox.

I don't think its the bystander effect anymore when you literally ask the person to testify for you and they say no.

Someone's been retaining their behavioral sciences.

BywCES9IMAAY9b8.jpg

With all of my empathy to the OP, I highly doubt any medical school would go through this effort to discover if a claim is false or not. The voice of one person, whether the truth or not, will not cause a full investigation.

The only thing that should be sought after is a different interviewer by a request to the dean.

But I am under no delusions. This literally happens everywhere and is probably more common than studying on college campuses.

I usually like your posts but this is just insane.

This is 100% NOT OKAY. I dont care if it happens at Harvard or at Alabama U after a football game. Its sexual assault.

ANYONE who would treat another person like has a blatant disregard for other people.

Reactions: 1 users
So this happened a year ago and you didn't report it because you didn't think it was a big deal. But now you want to report him because you realized he's in med school? If he didn't recognize you then how would this impact your chances for admission? If you personally felt that this individual could be a danger to others then why not report it at the time of the incident? I hate to say it, but if he's already in medical school, nobody is going to act on something that happened so long ago with essentially no evidence. Because of the resources/spot in the class that students have, it's actually in the school's best interest to move you along. Prior to matriculation is a different story. Either way, I've heard of lots of people trying to file random reports or send pictures of other people while they're drunk/high to adcoms. Those are always ignored.

You know when a thread has 150 posts in 4 hours that something interesting went down. And it definitely did.

Normally I'm the kind of person to roll my eyes at intersectional feminist essays about 'micro-aggressions' or whatever, but what was described here is sexual assault. The fact that some of the commenters here, ostensibly future physicians that will be caring for vulnerable people one day, can dismiss it as ubiquitous is pretty ****ed up.

I have no idea what an admissions committee member will or will not do when presented with this kind of accusation. I also don't know that statute of limitations for this crime is in your state. Someone at your local police department should. If you are concerned this person could go on to abuse others(an assertion I would agree with), then you should not feel bad about trying to press charges. You don't have to have a rock-solid case against a person to go to the police; that's their job. Even if you had accused him back then, there's no guarantee that things would have gone in your favor. This is part of the reason why a lot of victims never report their abusers.

Status
Not open for further replies.