SGU.. Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdonalds

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new here but thought I would give this a shot.
I am a Canadian student, just got rejected from OVC for the second time and am considering applying to SGU for January 2015 entry. What does everyone think of SGU? Is it a decent school?
Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about to start there this fall, but the graduate that I knew from SGU was very good. It's an accredited program so it's on par with US schools, and tuition is about the same as going out of state. It's definitely a good option.

To put simply: decent school, but you're going to pay a heck of a lot more for tuition than what we pay in Canada.

Members don't see this ad :)
Cracker Jack,
I know tuition is insanely expensive however OVC doesn't seem to want me lol and as far as I have been told/found out through research I am not allowed to apply to any other school in Canada. I would much rather not have to leave my country but it may be my only option at the moment.

You may have hangups with finances. The Canadian student loan program does not guarantee cost of attendance like the American. You may be able to get a line of credit but you may still fall short. If there's no feasible way to make yourself a more competitive applicant for OVC then it might be worth trying to gain residency in another province before looking at the Caribbean schools

There are some "cheaper" oos schools in the US like wisconsin, but I dont know how that would work for you since you are not a resident of the US (but it may be worth checking into).

Good luck!

I just got rejected from OVC for the second time as well :( I dont even know what they want anymore...waiting on my interview score but I loved the MMI and highly doubt it brought me down. What were your stats this year? Mine were 87 for last 2 sem and 83 for pre reqs, 26 MCAT. I know people who got accepted with very similar numbers so it's so discouraging. I'm probably going to do a non-degree semester and just hope I improve enough to make a difference. I dont think I would be okay with considering other options until I used all 4 of my applications but it just straight up sucks.

My thing is I don't want to be a professional student, and I don't want to be in school until I'm 35. I am 24 at the moment, I would ideally like to be in a career and have my life started before I'm 30. Guelph has a tendency that if you aren't accepted by your second application, its unlikely (not impossible) to be accepted after (based on what I've heard), its just so hard to really improve significantly enough when you already have high 80's. As for me, I know I probably can't get an even better average then I already have (85), I worked my butt off for those grades and doubt I could do 90's. I am a smart, dedicated person but seemingly just not smart enough for OVC. I have almost 10000 hours working in a vet clinic along with many other hours volunteering in several other clinics, as well as volunteering with therapeutic riding for 15 years. I am a well rounded person who loves the veterinary profession, however the OVC doesn't seem to take that into consideration for to much, grades are much more valuable, which is probably why their rate of attrition is so low.

Either way, I do think i will apply to SGU, if I get in I'm going to go and get on with my life, if I don't get in I do have an acceptance into a masters program waiting for me, which I will go ahead and take, and then apply to both vets schools again.

Thought I would update this because 2 weeks after being rejected I got a phone call from OVC saying someone declined their offer and I was next in line... I knew I was close but never thought I would be THAT close! I definitely think this was a crazy competitive year because my marks and interview score were well within the range of normally accepted stats, and they are technically the lowest of the undergrad pool of accepted student this year. But best of luck with wherever you go and remember that crazy things like this can happen!

Zebrastripes would you mind private messaging me your stats? Id really like to compare them to mine and see how far off I was. If not that is perfectly fine to.
Edited: Nvm I see them in your above post. What was your interview score?

It was a 76, which I brought up from a 66 my first time around.

Zebrastripes I was .17 points behind you!! Congrats on getting in though I'm so glad you got it as you sound like a person that really wants it and as we all know you need that drive to do this job!! Hopefully I will be able to follow in your footsteps next year :)