***The Official NYU Class of 2020 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

I got off in August. 1 week before orientation!
oh wow. Are you a in-state student? I'm a OOS so I feel like I would have no time to prepare for anything if I would get off of the waitlist a week before orientation.

Members don't see this ad.

It has been several months since I have been wait listed at NYU. I am certain that most of you guys on here are in the same boat as I am. As many of you guys are aware, the next cycle opens in a few days. Therefore, I was hoping to get some input as to what you guys are planning to do.

Personally, I will most likely reapply and reflect on my shortcomings this cycle. It seems fruitless to hopelessly ponder over an uncertain future for the Class of 2020. This barefooted walk over an unending path of legoes has been exhausting, both mentally and physically. Of course, I am and will continue to be fully committed to becoming a student of the Class of 2020. But it seems foolish to commit solely to that goal.

Your inputs and replies would be much appreciated, and I thank you all in advance! Best of luck to us all and enjoy the extended weekend!

Last edited:
It has been several months since I have been wait listed at NYU. I am certain that most of you guys on here are in the same boat as I am. As many of you guys are aware, the next cycle opens in a few days. Therefore, I was hoping to get some input as to what you guys are planning to do.

Personally, I will most likely reapply and reflect on my shortcomings this cycle. It seems fruitless to hopelessly ponder over an uncertain future for the Class of 2020. This barefooted walk over an unending path of legoes has been exhausting, both mentally and physically. Of course, I am and will continue to be fully committed to becoming a student of the Class of 2020. But it seems foolish to commit solely to that goal.

Your inputs and replies would be much appreciated, and I thank you all in advance! Best of luck to us all and enjoy the extended weekend!

Hey! Sorry you had to go through a year of stress. That was me last cycle. What I did was contact all the schools I was serious about attending and discuss options to become a more successful applicant. I also kept in touch with the specific people I met with numerous times (fell through at tufts when the woman quit and I lost my connection lol). But in all cases, the faculty stressed improving my gpa. So I returned to school to complete a post bac (really just earned a two semester BS) and I got accepted to NYU in February. When I got my fall grades, I emailed schools and said that my new gpa was blahblahblah and that it was my second time applying and that I was committed/interested in the school. NYU in particular seemed to like the dedication I had to coming here. If you have any other questions more specific to my app or what I did feel free to message me. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I plan to reapply as well. It seems rather silly to sit around and wait for answer.

oh wow. Are you a in-state student? I'm a OOS so I feel like I would have no time to prepare for anything if I would get off of the waitlist a week before orientation.
I was a NJ resident at that time and my roommate, who got pulled off on the same day, was from California. There is enough time to get everything together. Believe me, I did it in a week and a half!

Did anyone get pulled off the waitlist recently?

Didn't hear anything yet. I'm losing my hope now .. I saw there was movement in may/june, but didn't see it this year. :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

I was a NJ resident at that time and my roommate, who got pulled off on the same day, was from California. There is enough time to get everything together. Believe me, I did it in a week and a half!
oh that's good! Now i just need to get off of the waitlist...

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone having any update on NYU dental 2020 waitlist ?

Does anyone the NYU policy for failing a test?
Must one re mediate it? and if so, at what point do they make students retake a whole year of school (I heard that's not uncommon. Is this true?)

It depends on how much that test was worth and how hard you failed it. If it's one of those courses where it's 45-100% of your course grade, you might have to remediate but that's only if you fail the course overall. You can fail probably 1-3 courses in a year and be allowed to remediate depending on how much you failed by. If you do not get approved for all remediations you may be asked to repeat the year or be dismissed.

As for reapplicants on the waitlist, do reapply sooner rather than later. They won't take you off the waitlist. You and the adcoms never know how many are going to be offered and take a last minute acceptance somewhere else.

Has Anyone heard back recently?

The adcom keeps responding to my emails stating that the wait list is still under review. But I'm starting to think that its just a generic automated message sent for the sake of responding to our inquiries and emails..

Members don't see this ad :)
Has Anyone heard back recently?

The adcom keeps responding to my emails stating that the wait list is still under review. But I'm starting to think that its just a generic automated message sent for the sake of responding to our inquiries and emails..
It might not be automated, but yea usually when I email them or call them inquiring about the waitlist, they all say that it's still under review. I think they will keep saying that until classes start in August.

I'm dying to know if there was any movement this week. Has anyone heard back?

I spoke with them this morning and they said there is no movement right now. hopefully that changes soon!

That is so frustrating. They inform us in emails that they are still reviewing the wait list... Yet you hear that there is no movement. Man these past few months have been disheartening.

I spoke with them this morning and they said there is no movement right now. hopefully that changes soon!
Out of curiosity, who did you speak with? From my experience they never give definitive answers like that. Regardless with whom I spoke to, I always recieve generic and vague answers. They usually say something along the lines of, "we are still in the process of reviewing the wait list. Please be patient."

Just a genuine curiosity, in no way am I insisting that youre a liar. Thanks for the update!

Just received a reply email today saying their class is now full but that they'll continue reviewing the wait list. Think it'll be better for our souls to just let it go for now..

Would you mind sharing that email with us? Perhaps quoting that specific portion about the class being full? I am most definitely going to call and inquire about it tomorrow myself. Of course, logically, it makes sense that the class would be full by now. But why else would they keep emailing some of us that the wait list is still under review if there weren't a select few seats still available?

Would you mind sharing that email with us? Perhaps quoting that specific portion about the class being full? I am most definitely going to call and inquire about it tomorrow myself. Of course, logically, it makes sense that the class would be full by now. But why else would they keep emailing some of us that the wait list is still under review if there weren't a select few seats still available?
That's some hopeful thinking, but I'm right there with ya. Can't give up at this point. Invested too much time and effort.

"At this time the class is full but we will monitor the wait list daily as students change their plans. The wait list will not close until August and we will contact qualified students as we are able during that time."

Personally, I think it's best to focus on the next cycle's application or finding something else to help with our application. But we should definitely continue sending them emails of updates and showing interests, cuz... just in case.

Reactions: 1 users
"At this time the class is full but we will monitor the wait list daily as students change their plans. The wait list will not close until August and we will contact qualified students as we are able during that time."

Personally, I think it's best to focus on the next cycle's application or finding something else to help with our application. But we should definitely continue sending them emails of updates and showing interests, cuz... just in case.
You sir are an angel. Thank you for your update and the information. Much appreciated.

Now, in regards to what you have stated...I definitely agree. I'm currently in the process of editing my Personal Statement. I wouldn't feel safe submitting the same stuff from this cycle.

You sir are an angel. Thank you for your update and the information. Much appreciated.

Now, in regards to what you have stated...I definitely agree. I'm currently in the process of editing my Personal Statement. I wouldn't feel safe submitting the same stuff from this cycle.
I've been following this thread for a while but signed up today just to let you guys know the news I got haha. Glad it (somewhat) helped and best of luck to all of you in the next cycle if not this one!

Out of curiosity, who did you speak with? From my experience they never give definitive answers like that. Regardless with whom I spoke to, I always recieve generic and vague answers. They usually say something along the lines of, "we are still in the process of reviewing the wait list. Please be patient."

Just a genuine curiosity, in no way am I insisting that youre a liar. Thanks for the update!
I actually spoke with Dr. Mejia. She was pretty straight forward and said the class full and she doesn't have any spots. She said obviously there is a chance people drop their spots but at this point its unlikely.

Did you speak with her today? Tbh, it is very unlikely for people to drop their spots. Who would apply without knowing their financial situation, etc. However, if you look back at previous years, there were always a few students that were accepted from the months of June to August

Did you speak with her today? Tbh, it is very unlikely for people to drop their spots. Who would apply without knowing their financial situation, etc. However, if you look back at previous years, there were always a few students that were accepted from the months of June to August
Very good point. I'm really hoping that this is the case this year as well. I honestlycannoy fathom having to go through this process again. Let's wish for the best and see what happens in the next few weeks.

Good bye folks. I have officially accepted the fact that my odds of being accepted is slim to none at this point in time. Good luck to you all. The next time you see me on this thread will be if a miracle has occurred. otherwise, till next time! Esposito out.

Does anyone have any updates? Have you guys heard anything?

So I've been following this thread for a while now and figured I should chime in. In response to your question PJ, I have not received any response recently. The last email reply that I received from the admissions committee stated that the wait list is still under review.

By this time last year, a few people received rejection letters. So I think it might be a good sign for us all. On the contrary, that same email may be going out sometime this week.

There are always students looking to receive acceptances from other schools. I know a few friends and acquaintances who currently hold seats at NYU who are waiting to hear back from their other choices. Most of them would not hesitate to drop their seats to get into these schools. So there is still hope!!

Does anyone have any updates? Have you guys heard anything?
So about a week and half ago, I emailed them basically asking if the waitlist is still moving, when does it usually move the most, etc because I am freaking out (obviously). the person who replied back was emily and all she said was that the waitlist will continue to move until august and that they are waiting for spots to open up before they can began pulling more applicants from the waitlist. She also said that she understands that it's a stressful time for us and that she made a note of my interest so adcom is aware of it.

To anyone on the wait list who's feeling down- I have a seat at NYU that I will happily give up if I get accepted off the wait list at another school. I don't know if I actually have a chance or not, but wish me good luck for both of our sakes!

To anyone on the wait list who's feeling down- I have a seat at NYU that I will happily give up if I get accepted off the wait list at another school. I don't know if I actually have a chance or not, but wish me good luck for both of our sakes!
Haha I know the intentions were good, but I think your comment had the exact opposite effect. But I wish you the best.

Haha I know the intentions were good, but I think your comment had the exact opposite effect. But I wish you the best.
I can see how it would have that effect... my fault and like you said that't not what I was going for
This admissions business can be very demoralizing :/
However, optimistically there is still a chance so keep your head up!

Hey guys. So I called the admission committee to inquire about the wait list. They informed me that the wait list is still under review, but that it is moving very slowly at this point in time. They did not elaborate beyond those two statements.

Reactions: 6 users
Wanted to let you guys know that I received an email from admissions recently. It pretty much stated that they (NYUCD) have not admitted anyone else recently. However, there might be movement in the next few weeks. Fingers crossed although its highly unlikely at this point in the time. Best of luck in the remaining few weeks... if all else, I'll be seeing some of you for the next cycle!!

Reactions: 3 users
Esposito reporting for duty. I see that no one has been yet to be admitted. Sigh

Just recieved a call from Dr. Mejia gauging my interest; she told me they will be meeting at the end of the week to decide on the next waitlist batch.

Just recieved a call from Dr. Mejia gauging my interest; she told me they will be meeting at the end of the week to decide on the next waitlist batch.
Have you been calling/ emailing them with interest/ update?

Interesting that she called you directly. Maybe its a good sign for you!! Wishing you the best

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Have you been calling/ emailing them with interest/ update?

The last recorded update email they received from me was on April 29th. It could be that they were just wondering if I had made any other dental school plans; however, they also told me to consult with my family if the financials would work out and have my medical records ready should I be accepted and e-mail them immediately.

Interesting that she called you directly. Maybe its a good sign for you!! Wishing you the best

Thanks!

The last recorded update email they received from me was on April 29th. It could be that they were just wondering if I had made any other dental school plans; however, they also told me to consult with my family if the financials would work out and have my medical records ready should I be accepted and e-mail them immediately.

Thanks!

I think that it is safe to say that you will be admitted. Thanks again for keeping the rest of us updated.. And congratulations are in order should you hear any exciting news!

Thanks!
Well thanks for sharing ! And good luck !!

Did you get the email about paying the full deposit at once, relocating and finances before?

Last edited:
Did you get the email about paying the full deposit at once, relocating and finances before?

Nope, but that's basically what the call was about so it might not be anything special