****The Official Roseman Univ. Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

BMEEngineer

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't able to find a thread for this year, so here it is!

Good luck with the cycle! Looking forward to seeing some good collaboration here.

Let's start planning the ski trip to Alta!

Members don't see this ad.

To kick off the relevant discussion, I did receive a confirmation e-mail that my application is complete and ready for the admission committee. Based on last year's thread, we might expect interview invites sometime around mid-september.

To kick off the relevant discussion, I did receive a confirmation e-mail that my application is complete and ready for the admission committee. Based on last year's thread, we might expect interview invites sometime around mid-september.

I've also gotten the confirmation for complete app. Look forward to hopefully heading from them soon regarding interviews,

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have any questions for current students, feel free to ask. There are a few of us that check up on these posts regularly. Good luck!

Hi,,,I studied 4 years in dental school in Cuba but didn't graduate. After taking the prereqs I'm applying this cycle and Roseman is on my list! How are the clinical rotation? Are students able to do molar Endo, impacted 3rd molars and Perio surgeries?? So far I love the city and those mountains in the background look nice :)

Thanks for stopping by SherrifMcLawdog. My first question for you is given the relatively high cost of attendance due to being a private school, what are the biggest benefits for attending Roseman. You must like your school in general, or you wouldn't be here "recruiting" and helping others gain acceptance.

If you have any questions for current students, feel free to ask. There are a few of us that check up on these posts regularly. Good luck!

How do you like the location of the school? The city? Utah in General?

Another dental student here, same class as ze Sheriff.

Location is okay. It's pretty, quiet, safe, etc. There is lots of living close to the school which cuts commute times versus a school in a high density urban zone. The downside than is you get a very homogenous, unexciting place to be. Salt Lake City has it's fun spots but being further down south just makes it that much longer of a commute for fun. Just my $0.02.

Cost is high for Roseman and to say we are thrilled with it would be a lie. That said, it's a ****ty product of the times since most other private schools are that expensive and state schools are also still expensive. Everything is just expensive. What makes Roseman unique (or worth it) is the lack of BS you have to go through and the way you're treated. The faculty here want you to be competent, proficient, good at dentistry. They also don't throw endless amounts of BS projects or material at you unlike a lot of the more traditional schools out there. Faculty are very open and treat us like regular people, colleagues. There isn't a hierarchy here. P/F, block schedule, and the class being taught in a manner which prepares you for boards (rather than shoving every useless fact down your throat) are also pluses for me.

Reactions: 1 user

Location is okay. It's pretty, quiet, safe, etc. There is lots of living close to the school which cuts commute times versus a school in a high density urban zone. The downside than is you get a very homogenous, unexciting place to be. Salt Lake City has it's fun spots but being further down south just makes it that much longer of a commute for fun. Just my $0.02.

Cost is high for Roseman and to say we are thrilled with it would be a lie. That said, it's a ****ty product of the times since most other private schools are that expensive and state schools are also still expensive. Everything is just expensive. What makes Roseman unique (or worth it) is the lack of BS you have to go through and the way you're treated. The faculty here want you to be competent, proficient, good at dentistry. They also don't throw endless amounts of BS projects or material at you unlike a lot of the more traditional schools out there. Faculty are very open and treat us like regular people, colleagues. There isn't a hierarchy here. P/F, block schedule, and the class being taught in a manner which prepares you for boards (rather than shoving every useless fact down your throat) are also pluses for me.

Thanks for the good bit of info! :)

Very detailed response. Thank you!

Hi,,,I studied 4 years in dental school in Cuba but didn't graduate. After taking the prereqs I'm applying this cycle and Roseman is on my list! How are the clinical rotations? Are students able to do molar Endo, impacted 3rd molars and Perio surgeries?? So far I love the city and those mountains in the background look nice!

Np, like ze dawg said, feel free to ask if you have questions. There are several of us that roam the boards.

yandillo, I can't give you an answer about the clinic questions you asked. Partly because I haven't started clinic, partly because things are still developing, and part because it's one of "those" types of questions. The best I can say, I presume if faculty feel it's within your ability and without a GP's scope of practice, than I don't see a reason we couldn't. We don't have specialty's here which means there are no residents to poach cases from us. That said, things like impacted 3rds are generally in the realm of OS. Molar endo is complex and often in the realms of endodontists (because many GPs don't want or can't do it). Same with perio, most perio surgeries are complex and outside the scope. The best thing I can is if it's within the scope, odds our we'll do it. They aren't going to train you to be an endo/perio/os though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Np, like ze dawg said, feel free to ask if you have questions. There are several of us that roam the boards.

yandillo, I can't give you an answer about the clinic questions you asked. Partly because I haven't started clinic, partly because things are still developing, and part because it's one of "those" types of questions. The best I can say, I presume if faculty feel it's within your ability and without a GP's scope of practice, than I don't see a reason we couldn't. We don't have specialty's here which means there are no residents to poach cases from us. That said, things like impacted 3rds are generally in the realm of OS. Molar endo is complex and often in the realms of endodontists (because many GPs don't want or can't do it). Same with perio, most perio surgeries are complex and outside the scope. The best thing I can is if it's within the scope, odds our we'll do it. They aren't going to train you to be an endo/perio/os though.
Thanks a lot dmdluffy!! I asked those questions because I know that those are always the weakest areas of preparation no matter where u study dentistry! As far as surgeries I did an amazing number of OS and just a few Perio surgeries. Molar endo are in the middle of those 2 and I do wanna get hands on that cause the less patients u refer the more $$ u make ;) I really like Roseman, to be honest mainly because of its location. I need that peace again in my life,,,,,I googled the city and I didn't even see a downtown. Thank you for your reply and hopefully I can make it this year!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks a lot dmdluffy!! I asked those questions because I know that those are always the weakest areas of preparation no matter where u study dentistry! As far as surgeries I did an amazing number of OS and just a few Perio surgeries. Molar endo are in the middle of those 2 and I do wanna get hands on that cause the less patients u refer the more $$ u make ;) I really like Roseman, to be honest mainly because of its location. I need that peace again in my life,,,,,I googled the city and I didn't even see a downtown. Thank you for your reply and hopefully I can make it this year!!!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

yandillo, I know dmdluffy doesn't agree, but the location of Roseman is one of the biggest perks of schools. South Jordan is a suburb of Salt Lake, and it will just feel like busy suburb life as long as you stay away from the city. Best part is the proximity to the mountains. We have so much free time (those of us without families) to do whatever we want on weekends.

yandillo, I know dmdluffy doesn't agree, but the location of Roseman is one of the biggest perks of schools. South Jordan is a suburb of Salt Lake, and it will just feel like busy suburb life as long as you stay away from the city. Best part is the proximity to the mountains. We have so much free time (those of us without families) to do whatever we want on weekends.
sherrifmcLawdog, thanks for your reply. I sent the application fee already. I wish I can get in this year. How's the weather like? If I live in Forida would the change be really painful or u can get used to it??? I've never seen snow in my life!!! LOL:D:D

My wife and I moved to Salt Lake City this June so she could begin her Radiology residency at the U and we love it! I am always so surprised when I hear people who are unhappy with Utah. It has more outdoor stuff to do than anyplace I have ever been. Roseman seems like a really great school and I am hoping for an interview letter in September!

I applied to roseman. just wondering, are people in Utah accepting of people that aren't white?...

I applied to roseman. just wondering, are people in Utah accepting of people that aren't white?...

Of course! Here you will definitely be the "minority" but I work with an international company here in Utah and one thing everyone mentions is how incredibly nice and accepting the people are here. Don't worry at all.:)

Going to chime in since I need to pay it forward for my years of pestering people with questions. I have lived in Missouri, Washington, Oregon, Arizona and mostly a few parts in Southern California. From those experiences and my couple of months so far in Utah, the people are almost suffocatingly friendly. I mean the day I moved in I had like 6 families from the neighborhood just walk up and helped me move in. I've had a classmate move in as well that are a mixed couple from the bay area california and they find it also very warm and friendly here as well.

Is the required communications credits taken into consideration by the admissions committee when reviewing apps? Or is it more preferred?

Any news about when roseman is sending out interviews?

Any interview invites yet? No one has been posting on here for awhile...

Roseman called today and was so offended by my transcript that they returned my app fee.

I kid, no response yet, 5th batch.

Roseman called today and was so offended by my transcript that they returned my app fee.

I kid, no response yet, 5th batch.

Hahaha. Solid response. How do you know what "batch" you're in? Does it say somewhere in your application?

Does anyone know how to tell what "batch" you're in? Not that it matters(because you'll either get an interview or not), but I definitely didn't see anything indicating what batch we would be in.

Just FYI for those waiting to hear from Roseman. Dr. Penn is returning to his role as a lesser dean. Honestly I forget all of the titles since they keep shifting staff and titles around here quickly. Dr. Harmon who is dean of admissions begun his term as acting Dean of the school from September 1st until November 1st. when Dr. Licari will assume the role officially of Dean of the Dental school. He is coming from being Associate Dean at Midwestern-IL.

So with that news. I'm sure admissions process will be delayed if not behind the average dental school since Dr. Harmon has to wear both hats for the next bit.

Just FYI for those waiting to hear from Roseman. Dr. Penn is returning to his role as a lesser dean. Honestly I forget all of the titles since they keep shifting staff and titles around here quickly. Dr. Harmon who is dean of admissions begun his term as acting Dean of the school from September 1st until November 1st. when Dr. Licari will assume the role officially of Dean of the Dental school. He is coming from being Associate Dean at Midwestern-IL.

So with that news. I'm sure admissions process will be delayed if not behind the average dental school since Dr. Harmon has to wear both hats for the next bit.

Received an email on Sep 3rd " Your application is complete and awaiting review by the Admissions Committee"........................ Anyone else in the same boat?? :confused:

Received an email on Sep 3rd " Your application is complete and awaiting review by the Admissions Committee"........................ Anyone else in the same boat?? :confused:

yup, I think we are all riding on that very same boat:)

I am currently a D1 here and I must say I love this school. The professors are out of this world. They are all extremely nice and make sure you understand everything. The pre-clinic and clinic are super duper clean because the school is still fairly new. The first year of school is really focused on making sure you pass the boards plus we are in the lab 2-3 times a week (matters if we have a didactic exam that week or not).

I am currently a D1 here and I must say I love this school. The professors are out of this world. They are all extremely nice and make sure you understand everything. The pre-clinic and clinic are super duper clean because the school is still fairly new. The first year of school is really focused on making sure you pass the boards plus we are in the lab 2-3 times a week (matters if we have a didactic exam that week or not).

Thanks for the info! :)

Hi @vaheb,,,I've heard that classes are taught one at a time? Is that right? i love that system since u can focus in one class at a time. Also, how hard is to get 90% in all the classes??I heard that u are encouraged to get = > 90%....I'm a florida resident and I'd love to go to Roseman!!!

Hi @vaheb,,,I've heard that classes are taught one at a time? Is that right? i love that system since u can focus in one class at a time. Also, how hard is to get 90% in all the classes??I heard that u are encouraged to get = > 90%....I'm a florida resident and I'd love to go to Roseman!!!

You have to get a 90 to pass the class.

You have to get a 90 to pass the class.

90 out of 100? Well I guess u have multiple exams through out the courses!! Is it hard to do it or almost 100 % of the students pass the classes? ...and please can u tell me what happens when someone don't pass a particular class. Thanks a lot for the info!!!:D

90 out of 100? Well I guess u have multiple exams through out the courses!! Is it hard to do it or almost 100 % of the students pass the classes? ...and please can u tell me what happens when someone don't pass a particular class. Thanks a lot for the info!!!:D

Nope they teach 1 course over 2 weeks and then take the final by yourself then with your group on a friday. You need a 90 for both and i believe if you get a 95 or higher in your group it boosts your personal score 5 percent so you could get a 85 and pass. If you fail, remediations are the following monday. From what they tell me, everyone passes and if they don't, then they have to retake/get a tutor or something like that. Do not mistake it for being easy though.

Nope they teach 1 course over 2 weeks and then take the final by yourself then with your group on a friday. You need a 90 for both and i believe if you get a 95 or higher in your group it boosts your personal score 5 percent so you could get a 85 and pass. If you fail, remediations are the following monday. From what they tell me, everyone passes and if they don't, then they have to retake/get a tutor or something like that. Do not mistake it for being easy though.

I would love that system!!! I studied Dentistry in another country and trust me when I say that having all the finals in 2 weeks it's not a fun thing at that level!!!! I lost 50% of my hair in the process lol So This system would be perfect for me.. :idea: ..First I need to get in here ::rolleyes:

I bet this format helps students completely devote themselves to one subject whole heartedly. The only question that comes to mind is: if your classes are crammed into that short of a time period, I wonder how easy it will be to recall that information when it comes time for boards?

I bet this format helps students completely devote themselves to one subject whole heartedly. The only question that comes to mind is: if your classes are crammed into that short of a time period, I wonder how easy it will be to recall that information when it comes time for boards?

The key point here is that you need 90% to pass each class. You really need to know your material well in order to score that high on each test.

The key point here is that you need 90% to pass each class. You really need to know your material well in order to score that high on each test.

I got that part. I think this method has excellent potential, don't get me wrong, but as I have never been exposed to a course that is that condensed, I just wonder if most people are able to retain the information an entire year later when they would be taking boards. After all, if you were asked to memorize a random string of numbers, you might be able to recall it a week later, or even a month, but after a year I think the chances go down unless there is continued exposure.

I got that part. I think this method has excellent potential, don't get me wrong, but as I have never been exposed to a course that is that condensed, I just wonder if most people are able to retain the information an entire year later when they would be taking boards. After all, if you were asked to memorize a random string of numbers, you might be able to recall it a week later, or even a month, but after a year I think the chances go down unless there is continued exposure.

Only one person failed the boards last year and then retook it and passed.

In the end, which method is better? Is taking 5-7 classes at once over a longer period of time more effective, or is taking one class at a time over a shorter period of time better? No one knows for sure but in those two weeks that you are taking that one class, you are really immersed in it because you are going to lecture for it, breaking out into group discussions, and going home to study it pretty much everyday for those two weeks.

If any of you guys have any questions about Roseman or the application process, you guys can either post them all here or PM me.

Last edited:

Our last block of school is gonna be strictly reserved for the boards. So I am guessing they are going to do a huge review for 2-3 weeks and then we will study on our own for another 2 weeks and take the exam.

I just finished a 1 year pre-medical masters. It was quarter system with 4-5 core classes at a time at a similar speed. Honestly when you are juggling that many classes it was hard to really have anything sink in especially when finals week came and you had a final every 24 hours. So far in the couple of blocks that I have had here I have felt like it has sunk in better. They also teach the courses to build, upon each other so you are not given 5 separate courses but 1 course that builds upon the previous courses principles so at the end of 10 weeks you've had 5 courses and you've worked them out as to how they all work together. The courses are also not tied into directly from the textbooks but what the instructors feel will benefit us the most for Boards.

interview invite via email ... have to call and schedule a date

"The Admissions Committee has recently completed the review of your application. At this time, they have decided to put your application on hold until they receive your upcoming Fall term grades. "

So, does this mean that if I get all A's this semester, then there is a high possibility of interview? :confused: