***The Official UCLA Class of 2018 Interview/Acceptance Thread***

Is UCLA still interviewing?
Haven't received an interview yet and haven't been rejected yet...

Members don't see this ad.

Does anybody know if UCLA typically gives out many grants/any other type of money that doesn't need to be paid back like they talk about in the financial aid email??

Does anyone know what the deadline is to decide between multiple schools you paid deposits to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is UCLA still interviewing?
Haven't received an interview yet and haven't been rejected yet...
I'm in the same position as you. Noemi told me that they're interviewing through March, but seeing as next week is Spring Break I don't know what the chances are anymore :(

Last edited:
anyone got off wait list recently? or UCLA is over for this cycle?

anyone got off wait list recently? or UCLA is over for this cycle?
I don't think it's over yet because they have one more interview this Monday, probably for wait listing

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I think quocstazz is correct. On my interview earlier in the year, one of the students on the pannel said they got into the school and they interviewed for the waitlist in April. They were either a 3rd or 4th year, not sure.

Received an interview invite for the alternate list a few days ago. I will not be attending.

I hope not.

Is UCLA much cheaper than other CA schools? it seems to be hard to get in and even get an interview.
I am a CA resident.

UCLA can be really selective when they choose who to interview, but they do favor CA residents.

I believe UCLA is the cheapest of all CA schools. Western, USC, UOP and LLU are all private CA schools so they are the more expensive options. UCSF and UCLA are the two CA public schools that have more affordable tuition. Between UCLA and UCSF if I remember from my interviews, UCLA is a little cheaper than UCSF.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA can be really selective when they choose who to interview, but they do favor CA residents.

I believe UCLA is the cheapest of all CA schools. Western, USC, UOP and LLU are all private CA schools so they are the more expensive options. UCSF and UCLA are the two CA public schools that have more affordable tuition. Between UCLA and UCSF if I remember from my interviews, UCLA is a little cheaper than UCSF.

That is correct but not by much. It's about 5k cheaper per year.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

They are no longer extending out interviews for the alternate list.

Is anyone planning on taking a pre-req like psychology this Summer, just before D1? Is that permitted?

Is anyone planning on taking a pre-req like psychology this Summer, just before D1? Is that permitted?
Not sure if it is permitted. I remember at the interview they said all pre-reqs need to be fulfilled by 6/30 unless you get some special permission from admissions. I do know that the psychology pre-req can be taken pass/fail though.

Really? I went through their entire website and couldn't find any such deadline. That would really suck though and make no sense, especially that their classes don't start until late September, unlike some other dental schools that start in early August.

Really? I went through their entire website and couldn't find any such deadline. That would really suck though and make no sense, especially that their classes don't start until late September, unlike some other dental schools that start in early August.

It makes perfect sense. They need to get A TON of stuff done for you. They need to order your ~$14,000 kit, get your embroidered white coat, get all of the sizes for gloves and gowns that you need.... The list goes on. If you have not taken psych, you have not completed the required coursework and your admissions will be rescinded and an alternate with the completed requirements will take your spot. I'm sure these rules started with students saying that they "definitely will complete the required courses" and then they come to school and say "I didn't know that I needed to finish that course!"

They are just covering their backs. So, I would give them a call... Because I also remember that there was a requirement of finishing all required courses by the end of June (double check your acceptance letter).

Letter says all prerequisites and unit requirements are due by June 30th and your health clearance results are due by August 1.

It makes perfect sense. They need to get A TON of stuff done for you. They need to order your ~$14,000 kit, get your embroidered white coat, get all of the sizes for gloves and gowns that you need.... The list goes on. If you have not taken psych, you have not completed the required coursework and your admissions will be rescinded and an alternate with the completed requirements will take your spot. I'm sure these rules started with students saying that they "definitely will complete the required courses" and then they come to school and say "I didn't know that I needed to finish that course!"

They are just covering their backs. So, I would give them a call... Because I also remember that there was a requirement of finishing all required courses by the end of June (double check your acceptance letter).

Calm down man, I'm applying next year. I'm just planning ahead.

Letter says all prerequisites and unit requirements are due by June 30th and your health clearance results are due by August 1.

So, are they saying all your classes must end on or before June 30, or that they must have your final grades/transcripts by June 30?

So, are they saying all your classes must end on or before June 30, or that they must have your final grades/transcripts by June 30?

Psych 101 needs to be done by June 30th

where is good place for 2-bed apt near UCLA dental? new to the area.

where is good place for 2-bed apt near UCLA dental? new to the area.

There are a bunch of options in Westwood that are all close to campus. Ucla housing is a good option as well if you want something that includes utilities.

No calming down needed. I tried to emit no emotion when I wrote that. I would imagine that the lack of sugarcoating in my response could be read as blunt.

Also, to answer your question: they need all of your classes to be completed by June 30th. Your transcripts sent as soon as the grades are posted.

Best of luck.

Have they mentioned any other information about the health clearance results yet? Or should we get another email from Noemi about it later on?

Have they mentioned any other information about the health clearance results yet? Or should we get another email from Noemi about it later on?

I believe we get that info later on

No calming down needed. I tried to emit no emotion when I wrote that. I would imagine that the lack of sugarcoating in my response could be read as blunt.

Also, to answer your question: they need all of your classes to be completed by June 30th. Your transcripts sent as soon as the grades are posted.

Best of luck.

Thank you. See this was much more helpful than your previous response/rant.

just got an interview invitation for UCLA's alternate list. interview is taking place may 12th. Anyone else interview for the alternate list? Or know how likely it is for an alternate to actually be accepted?

just got an interview invitation for UCLA's alternate list. interview is taking place may 12th. Anyone else interview for the alternate list? Or know how likely it is for an alternate to actually be accepted?

To be honest, at this point in the cycle your chances probably aren't very high. AADSAS has already notified schools of people holding multiple deposits, and those students have been forced to decide on the school they want to attend - as a result there should be very limited movement on waitlists from this point on (only out of the ordinary circumstances would cause someone to change schools at this time - at least this is my understanding, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). If you have another acceptance or live far away from UCLA (meaning you would have to pay to travel here for the interview), I would just not attend the interview but if UCLA is your absolute dream, you live close enough where the commute to the interview wont cost you anything or you dont have any other options at this point I'd go for it - the worst that happens is you won't get in, but the upside is huge!

To be honest, at this point in the cycle your chances probably aren't very high. AADSAS has already notified schools of people holding multiple deposits, and those students have been forced to decide on the school they want to attend - as a result there should be very limited movement on waitlists from this point on (only out of the ordinary circumstances would cause someone to change schools at this time - at least this is my understanding, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong). If you have another acceptance or live far away from UCLA (meaning you would have to pay to travel here for the interview), I would just not attend the interview but if UCLA is your absolute dream, you live close enough where the commute to the interview wont cost you anything or you dont have any other options at this point I'd go for it - the worst that happens is you won't get in, but the upside is huge!

I agree with HaverfoodsDDS on this one. There probably wont be a ton of movement at UCLA at this point. If you are close I say it wont hurt to try. You never know what may happen, people do end up dropping out for one reason or another.

Thank you. See this was much more helpful than your previous response/rant.

No, thank YOU. I'm glad to know that you approve of my comment (/rant). I can only hope that your way with words comes across this clearly during your (hypothetical) future interview, Joe.

Once again, Good luck!

sad day. well I'm a 4th year undergrad here at UCLA so it's not like I have anything better to do.. I've already got acceptances elsewhere but UCLA is my top school. guess we'll see! Will it be a group interview on Monday or should I expect to be the only one there?

sad day. well I'm a 4th year undergrad here at UCLA so it's not like I have anything better to do.. I've already got acceptances elsewhere but UCLA is my top school. guess we'll see! Will it be a group interview on Monday or should I expect to be the only one there?

Not 100% sure if waitlist interviews are the same as regular ones but if they are you will be there in a small group and then break out into your own separate interviews. You arent losing out on anything then since you are right there and you have back up schools to go to. Best of luck!

Thanks! Would be nice to hear from any other alternates interviewees to hear their experience!

Thanks! Would be nice to hear from any other alternates interviewees to hear their experience!

I interviewed as an alternate on Friday (5/2) and got the call yesterday (5/6). It was identical to a normal interview at UCLA (presentations, interview, sizing, prereqs, lunch with students) but they did make it clear that there is a good chance you will be waitlisted. I don't feel comfortable sharing the average waitlist movement, but it can be REALLY low depending on the year.

If you have any more questions message me! Good luck! :)

I interviewed as an alternate on Friday (5/2) and got the call yesterday (5/6). It was identical to a normal interview at UCLA (presentations, interview, sizing, prereqs, lunch with students) but they did make it clear that there is a good chance you will be waitlisted. I don't feel comfortable sharing the average waitlist movement, but it can be REALLY low depending on the year.

Congrats !

Reactions: 1 user

Oh snap! You got the acceptance call that quick?! That's awesome! How'd you feel after your interview? This bodes well it seems. I would have thought people who were wait listed much earlier would have a better shot than May interviewees.

So, are you going to be placed on the waitlist now because you were interviewing as an alternate?

Oh snap! You got the acceptance call that quick?! That's awesome! How'd you feel after your interview? This bodes well it seems. I would have thought people who were wait listed much earlier would have a better shot than May interviewees.

They said they would let us know in 1-2 weeks if we were accepted or wait-listed. Interview was very casual. I was nervous prior to the interview since it has been 4+ since my last one. I just got asked the normal questions and we chatted for a bit.

So, are you going to be placed on the waitlist now because you were interviewing as an alternate?

I am not waitlisted. Believe me, I am just as surprised as you are.

sweet :), any other alternates with the good news??

Fairly certain I will be withdrawing my acceptance to UCLA in the next few days. Hardest decision of my life. Congrats to the alternate who gets it! :)

Fairly certain I will be withdrawing my acceptance to UCLA in the next few days. Hardest decision of my life. Congrats to the alternate who gets it! :)
I will miss you <3, :(:arghh:

UCLA Class of 2018 GPA avg is 3.75 and 98th percentile on the DAT.

This was announced on 5/16 to the faculty.

Last edited:
The most recent alternate acceptance that I know of was on 5/13.

There is >= 1 spot left.

Just received an email from Noemi stating I'll be receiving a letter regarding my status for UCLA's alternate list by June 5th! I called earlier this week and they let me know that alternate interviews ended last week and applicants would be being informed either of their rejection or alternate status this week by mail.

Noemi also said that the class has been filled, though they are waiting on some deposits. I called on 5/17