****The Official UCSF Class of 2017 Interview/Acceptance Thread****

They don't randomly assign a number or randomly pick from the wait list. Your number is your number. When people with lower numbers are removed from the waitlist, you move up! And the class of 2015 went through #48 on their waitlist so I wouldn't give up hope.

At least that's what I'm telling myself. Good luck everyone!

I dont remember saying to lose hope tiger!! Then how are the numbers assigned ? I just assumed that was the case,, if you can guess a better explanation ur more than welcome to share trust me im not biased lol.... good luck by the way.

Members don't see this ad.

rejected, interviewed in october :cry::cry: . Can't believe it took that long for a decision. It was my #1 as well

sorry to hear that,,it wasnt fair waiting for 4 month and then....have u got into other places hopefully?

I agree, a school like that wouldn't just randomly assign number or pick people randomly. I heard ucsf give their students a score based on many different factors. So i think the waitlist is based on that score.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry to hear that,,it wasnt fair waiting for 4 month and then....have u got into other places hopefully?

yup grateful that i got a few, praying for penn now!

It looks as though in 2010 about 20 people got off the wait list. In 2008 15 people. If you are bored, you can read this really long thread on the UCSF wait list in 2009.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=581531&page=3

From what I gathered, you have a good chance of your number is less than 15...
Also, I think the wait list is not random but based on your overall score.

Last edited:
Good luck from the other side of the class of 2017.

Last edited:
i haven't gotten a waitlist or rejection email. aadsas status still says "invited for interview". is anyone else in the same boat?

I got wait listed last monday. New updates will come out March 1st

I got wait listed last monday. New updates will come out March 1st

I haven't been waitlisted or rejected and have not heard a thing since my interview on 2/1. Any idea what's going on?

I haven't been waitlisted or rejected and have not heard a thing since my interview on 2/1. Any idea what's going on?

You should hear something this week. Its usually 2 weeks after you interview. You can also try calling admissions and ask them, they should tell you your status at this point

You should hear something this week. Its usually 2 weeks after you interview. You can also try calling admissions and ask them, they should tell you your status at this point

Well, the thing is one of the people I interviewed got a waitlist notification on Monday too and in the letter it says that, "The Admissions Committee of the School of Dentistry at the University of California, San Francisco has completed its review of applications for fall 2013 admission."

I know adcoms can be unpredictable, but this really throws me off.

Members don't see this ad :)
The wait is driving me nuts! :bang:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Someone on the waitlist or haven't heard back should be hearing soon hopefully.

gf finally got off the waiting list! her alternative number is between 5-10 btw. Goodluck everyone.

I got in!!!!
See you all in September

Congrats!!! What was your number on the alternate list?

Thanx!!
I was #3, but i'm sure a couple dozen ppl from that list will get an offer
Good luck

How long is the dental school wait list? Does it remain active all the way until first day of class?

Thought I would contribute to this to help anyone potentially still waiting or maybe people curious about the process for next year.

The waitlist came out mid-Feb with a ranking and around the 1st of each month you were emailed your most-updated number.

I started at #30 in Feb, #19 on March 4th, #12 on April 1st, #3 on April 29th, and accepted the first week of May. I interviewed October 15th, CA resident. Hope this helps someone out. PM me if you have questions.

Nice!! Congrats Tigerteeth22! Quite a few people got off that waitlist!

Congrats tigerteeth22! Thanks for contributing a very helpful update. I'm sure this info will help current and future wait listed applicants for a timeline reference.

Good luck to every still waiting :xf: Next list update is June 26th.

Congrats to those who got accepted to UCSF. This is my #1 choice school, I live very close byand was hoping to get some advice on how to greatly improve my chances to get accepted to UCSF (I know there is no set formula but any advice would be appreciated).

since this thread is for the waitlist/accepted students, feel free to post your responses to my inbox/private message. I hope to hear from you soon.

Congrats to those who got accepted to UCSF. This is my #1 choice school, I live very close byand was hoping to get some advice on how to greatly improve my chances to get accepted to UCSF (I know there is no set formula but any advice would be appreciated).

since this thread is for the waitlist/accepted students, feel free to post your responses to my inbox/private message. I hope to hear from you soon.

No one here really knows for sure but in general, for any school, you want to show personal growth and a passion for the profession. During your undergrad, actively pursue experiences that will develop conscientiousness and a tenacity to overcome challenges, specifically involving the group setting. Do realize that Dr. Bertolami is now at NYU. Dr. Featherstone is now dean of UCSF. Look up what Dr. Featherstone has recently written. I think UCSF is well-rounded and has unique research and community opportunities. Judging by their curriculum, they are very student-friendly and give their class ample time (two half-days, P/F, and two 3-month long summers off) to pursue other academic interests. They are consistently ranked in the top 3 for the highest NIH/NIDCR research funding.

A general idea of what dental schools look for in applicants.
http://www.jdentaled.org/content/69/11/1222.long

A glimpse of UCSF's philosophy.
http://www.jdentaled.org/content/66/8/918.full.pdf

A somewhat outdated but still useful picture of UCSF's curriculum.
http://www.jdentaled.org/content/72/12/1516.full

No one here really knows for sure but in general, for any school, you want to show personal growth and a passion for the profession. During your undergrad, actively pursue experiences that will develop conscientiousness and a tenacity to overcome challenges, specifically involving the group setting. Do realize that Dr. Bertolami is now at NYU. Dr. Featherstone is now dean of UCSF. Look up what Dr. Featherstone has recently written. I think UCSF is well-rounded and has unique research and community opportunities. Judging by their curriculum, they are very student-friendly and give their class ample time (two half-days, P/F, and two 3-month long summers off) to pursue other academic interests. They are consistently ranked in the top 3 for the highest NIH/NIDCR research funding.

A general idea of what dental schools look for in applicants.

http://www.jdentaled.org/content/69/11/1222.long

A glimpse of UCSF's philosophy.
http://www.jdentaled.org/content/66/8/918.full.pdf

A somewhat outdated but still useful picture of UCSF's curriculum.
http://www.jdentaled.org/content/72/12/1516.full

Thanks for sharing. This was an interesting read. I'm super surprised to see the correlation between PAT score and success in 3rd year. I think a lot of us dismiss it as a joke and here they're saying that it is a major predictor of success in the dental school clinic.

blankman321: Get a high DAT score. Have a good GPA.

Those two will help you.

But those two alone are no guarantees. Every school is looking for something in their applicants. You may or may not fit their mold.

And if not, it's no big deal. Another school will like what they see, and bring you in for an interview. If your scores are good enough, it may very well be another top dental school.

Bottom line: It's good to have goals. But getting into dental school is a challenging enough endeavor. To spare yourself any kind of disappointment, go into it with an open mindset.

Be optimistic, and hope for the best.

For the record:

UCSF rejected me VERY early in the cycle (December 6th)

I applied to 25 dental schools. Interviewed at 2. Got into 2.

Were they my top choice? No.

Did I have great scores? No.

Did I have a high GPA? No.

But did I work my ass off to get where I am? Yes.

Am I satisfied with my accomplishments? Absolutely.

Good job UCMS2013! Congrats on getting into dental school :thumbup:.

Please help!!! I desperately want to get into my first choice UCSF . I have avg. GPA but hear UCSF looks at entire app. Given my extracurriculars, is this enough for UCSF to overlook the avg. GPA and consider me a candidate? Should I apply under early decision? Please be real in your responses, I can handle it. (applying fall 2015)
  • Undergrad: UCI (BS in Public Health Sciences)
Overall | Last Year
cGPA: 3.28 | cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.0 | sGPA: 3.75
  • Experiene: (Pharm)
-8 months associate at an independent pharmacy
-10 day medical mission (lead pharmaceutical volunteer)
-20 hours shadowing pharmacist
  • Other:
-4 years administrative work at primary care office
-6 months intern at optometry office
- Lead coordinator of youth group
-2 years pre-pharm society (club)
-1 years genetic divergence lab research
PS: Strong--(details personal growth, leadership potential, and personal experiences w/in field.)
--anything UCSF is specifically looking for/I should stress?
LoR: (1) Pharmacist (9.5/10). (2) research professor (average) . (3) speech professor (good). clergey (average-good)
------Do I need to include specific prof. (ie. science/ math)? Does the research LoR make up for it?
Interview: If I get it, I will nail it

Please help!!! I desperately want to get into my first choice UCSF . I have avg. GPA but hear UCSF looks at entire app. Given my extracurriculars, is this enough for UCSF to overlook the avg. GPA and consider me a candidate? Should I apply under early decision? Please be real in your responses, I can handle it. (applying fall 2015)
  • Undergrad: UCI (BS in Public Health Sciences)
Overall | Last Year
cGPA: 3.28 | cGPA: 3.75
sGPA: 3.0 | sGPA: 3.75
  • Experiene: (Pharm)
-8 months associate at an independent pharmacy
-10 day medical mission (lead pharmaceutical volunteer)
-20 hours shadowing pharmacist
  • Other:
-4 years administrative work at primary care office
-6 months intern at optometry office
- Lead coordinator of youth group
-2 years pre-pharm society (club)
-1 years genetic divergence lab research
PS: Strong--(details personal growth, leadership potential, and personal experiences w/in field.)
--anything UCSF is specifically looking for/I should stress?
LoR: (1) Pharmacist (9.5/10). (2) research professor (average) . (3) speech professor (good). clergey (average-good)
------Do I need to include specific prof. (ie. science/ math)? Does the research LoR make up for it?
Interview: If I get it, I will nail it
I think you are in the wrong thread.. This is for the dental school