Touro Univeristy - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know what percentage of interviewers are accepted?
Honestly theres no way to know unless you work in the adm office. IIRC very few schools release that stat but the general consensus is they see something good about your application if they give you an II.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know what percentage of interviewers are accepted?
They gave us a run down of figures at interview orientation, more so than the other interview I was at...actually, I feel like a learned a lot about how the whole US med school system works at Touro.
They told us there is something like 40% overlap in admissions, so a large number of applicants decline acceptances at one school to go to another.
Thus, Touro sends out something like 300 offers, and when all is said and done, they fill their 120 seats. I know that math doesn't work out but whatever.
So! They interview 500-something, we can estimate that on interview day 1, the odds are 3/5. But, as soon as a slot fills, that rate drops.
However, when someone declines, it rises again.
I wouldn't know how to really judge, but to me, those seem like good odds.

Reactions: 1 users
I heard what chacha did in my interview

~Interview 550, give acceptance to 270, matriculate 135 if I remember correctly!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of us who have been complete for months but haven't heard anything, has anyone called and asked for a status update? It would be great to get some info from them but I don't want to just call and annoy them if they don't do updates over the phone.

I called about 8 weeks after I was complete and they said they don't do status updates over the phone but to email them to ask for an update. So I did... and I got a very general email back saying that I was still under review

I called about 8 weeks after I was complete and they said they don't do status updates over the phone but to email them to ask for an update. So I did... and I got a very general email back saying that I was still under review
Same. Email seems the best way. Although I've found out emailing too often isn't advisable.

I called yesterday but they wouldn't give any info and they just said the email Lynn. After emailing her I got an email back saying that my file is complete but hasn't been reviewed yet by the committee. Super frustrating since I have been complete since early October. It seemed to be a generic email though so who knows how accurate it really is.

II just now, Complete 10/14

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted today, interviewed four days ago (gpa 3.4 sgpa3.5 mcat516). They told us when we would know by, which was amazing. The assistant dean Dr. Hartfield is one impressive dude. I was the most impressed with the faculty than any other place I interviewed at. The Bay Area attracts them smarties.

Accepted today, interviewed four days ago (gpa 3.4 sgpa3.5 mcat516). They told us when we would know by, which was amazing. The assistant dean Dr. Hartfield is one impressive dude. I was the most impressed with the faculty than any other place I interviewed at. The Bay Area attracts them smarties.

Congrats on your acceptance! I agree, I was really impressed by the faculty here as well. Intelligent and everyone seemed incredibly supportive

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, so my file is finally complete today after quite a difficulty with LORs and just overall submitting my secondary late. Is there any hope for me at all, or did this delay just mess up my chances entirely? It's so unbelievably late :/

Okay, so my file is finally complete today after quite a difficulty with LORs and just overall submitting my secondary late. Is there any hope for me at all, or did this delay just mess up my chances entirely? It's so unbelievably late :/

My file wasn't complete until mid Dec lol. So idk if you're completely out of luck. Hope you hear something back soon

My secondary was completed on 7/30/15 and still no interview. I emailed Ms. Huckle regarding my inquiry about the process, all I received was the same confirmation email from July, saying my file is completed, etc. Should I even bother to call them ?

Anyone get an ii here that also got an ii at touro Nevada? I haven't heard back from here but got accepted to Nevada. Just wanted to see if they working together or not

Anyone get an ii here that also got an ii at touro Nevada? I haven't heard back from here but got accepted to Nevada. Just wanted to see if they working together or not

They are totally separate admissions committees

anyone email a letter of interest/intent before receiving an interview invite?

Any interview advice for me like what to expect? I interview 2/2.

It's a group panel interview--so you're with other applicants and you're being interviewed by 3 individuals. For me, these were 1 DO student and 2 faculty members. It's VERY laid back. So just relax and enjoy the process!

It's a group panel interview--so you're with other applicants and you're being interviewed by 3 individuals. For me, these were 1 DO student and 2 faculty members. It's VERY laid back. So just relax and enjoy the process!
Alright cool. Do they ask us questions individually or are they questions we answer and discuss as a group?

Thanks for your input!

Alright cool. Do they ask us questions individually or are they questions we answer and discuss as a group?

Thanks for your input!

For my group they asked individually, may ask you the same question as person before you though so you do have time to collect thoughts for some of them!

Both in my case! Sometimes they would go down the line with one question asking for everyone's input, other times, it was a question specific to your experiences

II! Looks like the earliest available date is early March.

II! Looks like the earliest available date is early March.
Fine with me. They give out acceptances in the May interview dates.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

II today! Complete 11/10. LizzyM 65. Earliest date available was March 7th. I interviewed here last year and was a high alternate. It kinda feels like finally being asked on a 2nd date by the person that never called you back after the first date. ;)

II today! Complete 11/10. LizzyM 65. Earliest date available was March 7th. I interviewed here last year and was a high alternate. It kinda feels like finally being asked on a 2nd date by the person that never called you back after the first date. ;)
Congrats! But what happened last year, high alternate list and you still couldn't get off it?

Congrats! But what happened last year, high alternate list and you still couldn't get off it?
Waitlist movement was SLOOOOW last year. I don't think anyone from SDN got pulled (or at least posted that they did). Mr. Davis even sent an email saying how it was much slower than previous years. Also, the "impressive" parts of my application didn't really materialize until after my interview. I don't think they weigh updates as heavily as those of us with an upward trajectory hope they do.

Waitlist movement was SLOOOOW last year. I don't think anyone from SDN got pulled (or at least posted that they did). Mr. Davis even sent an email saying how it was much slower than previous years. Also, the "impressive" parts of my application didn't really materialize until after my interview. I don't think they weigh updates as heavily as those of us with an upward trajectory hope they do.
Sorry to hear that and glad they got you up for round 2!

I was complete in early September of last year (2015) and have still not heard from here. I emailed and got an email saying that I was still under review, which seems to be a popular trend concerning people inquiring for status updates from them. So I'll just be sitting back biting my nails waiting for an interview. :)

Last edited:
Hey guys, first year at Touro here. If you've been accepted, you can join the official Class of 2020 page at https://www.facebook.com/groups/620729211399056. Some of the current first years are part of this page to answer any questions you may have about Touro life. If you haven't been accepted yet, please refrain from joining the page.

Also, if you haven't been interviewed/accepted yet, don't worry! It's still relatively early in the game. Touro accepts ppl all the way through April, and sometimes later!

Reactions: 2 users
II just now, I almost forgot about this school since it's been so long since I've heard from them (Complete 9/4/2015).

Earliest interview date as of now is 3/8.

II just now, I almost forgot about this school since it's been so long since I've heard from them (Complete 9/4/2015).

Earliest interview date as of now is 3/8.
As someone who has been waiting months for an II, I always stay glued to my email for the next few hours until office hours close whenever someone posts an II on here lol. One can hope.

How soon should I send a LOI after a post-interview waitlist?

Last edited:
Who is interviewing Tuesday 2/2 and will be at the Marriott tomorrow night?

As someone who has been waiting months for an II, I always stay glued to my email for the next few hours until office hours close whenever someone posts an II on here lol. One can hope.
You give me hope :)
I was complete in early September of last year (2015) and have still not heard from here. I emailed and got an email saying that I was still under review, which seems to be a popular trend concerning people inquiring for status updates from them. So I'll just be sitting back biting my nails waiting for an interview. :)
Were you guys able to snag a II yet?

II just now! I was shocked because I honestly started forgetting about this school since I was complete mid July. Either way, I will be declining the interview. Good luck to everyone else :)

II just now! I was shocked because I honestly started forgetting about this school since I was complete mid July. Either way, I will be declining the interview. Good luck to everyone else :)
Thank you for your prompt decline of the interview .

Last edited:
I was sent an II here. Will be taking it. Any advice?

Just got an e-mail saying my app was withdrawn by request when I definitely did not do so. Had to call and get another confirmation. Does this kind of thing occur often?