Touro Univeristy - California (TUCOM-CA) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all!

I'm a second year here. I actually chose Touro over an MD school for the location and was veerrrrrrrryyy nervous about how I would like it. At my interview I felt meh about the location and facility.

And I LOVE it! Love it! Full endorsement. Without reservation would recommend.

The faculty is great. We have a few, erm, hard to learn from professors but the majority of them are super pumped about teaching and are good at it as well. As an example, our main neuroanatomy teacher, Dr. Puder, is crazy smart and also crazy dedicated to teaching. In addition to her research and teaching at Touro, she has grants to go around and teach k-12 students about brains and science to inspire them etc. That's how passionate about teaching she is. I also wasn't sure how much I was going to like Pharm (having not taken it before) but our Pharm profs are so great that it is now one of my favorite subjects to work on! Dr. Gayer is our main pharm teacher and he uses funny anecdotes about his mountain bike accidents and is super interesting but also grills us with board review questions every lecture to hammer things in. Our profs also often make quizlets with exam questions to help us study, are generous with their time, and most of them know all of us by name and really get involved. I went to UCD and most of the Touro lecturers are far better than my UCD profs (and I loved UCD!).

Another important aspect is the atmosphere of peer collaboration that the school intentionally sets up. I wasn't sure how the whole small class size (135 after 4 years of public university=tiny, right?!) and potential for gunning things would be and I've experienced only crazy huge amounts of support, help and encouragement from my classmates. I'm a fairly independent and competitive person in general life and I wasn't specifically going for like a lovey-dovey atmosphere but it has really been important and wonderful and defining of my experience so far at Touro. We work together a ton in class and in person and also via fb. I also like all of them. A lot. This probably sounds like a silly statement but it is kinda rare to like that big of a group of people. Also, it is a huge deal when you are happy to get up and go to school everyday in part because you get to see your friends! I don't study with a group, or do lots of extracurriculars through the school and I don't live on the island but I nevertheless feel very connected and supported and part of my class.

Because I am a second year I don't have any experience with rotations. Sorry I can't help on that end! I know we have good USMLE/COMLEX pass rates and great match rates.

Let me know if you guys have any specific questions. Sorry this is rather stream-of-consciousness. It's late! Wanted to get a reply out even if its kinda mediocre rather than none at all :)
the class is great that is for sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'll be interviewing Tuesday and staying at the Marriott if anyone wants to meet up tomorrow evening!

Did anybody else from the interview group on 11/3 receive their unofficial decision yet? I emailed Mr. Davis on 11/20 but didn't hear a peep! Dying to know if I was accepted. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there everyone,

I submitted my primary in September, it was verified in October, and I received my secondary shortly after that. Does anyone know how often Touro admissions committee meets to go over applications to invite people to interview? I emailed the admissions office to make sure that all documents had been received and to ask about how they operate (meeting, inviting, etc.) I am so anxious, as I am sure everyone is. I hope I am invited to interview and I will keep you all updated. Best of luck to everyone out there undergoing this very strenuous process.

Edit: I looked back in my emails and discovered they sent one saying everything was complete for my application on Oct. 21st. It's only been a month but the wait is so nerve-racking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did anybody else from the interview group on 11/3 receive their unofficial decision yet? I emailed Mr. Davis on 11/20 but didn't hear a peep! Dying to know if I was accepted. Thanks!

I interviewed 11/2, we were first told 11/20 would be the day the decisions get released but then they later pushed it to 11/23. so I'm guessing anytime today we should know. I've been checking my email non stop!

does anyone know if they do silent rejections post interview?

edit: just got the acceptance email!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

I emailed Mr. Davis a few days after my interview on 11/3 and he responded two days later telling me my decision would be emailed on the 23rd. So yeah, we should hear from him sometime today. I'm super anxious!

Edit: I just got an acceptance email! So you should year back soon! :))))

Reactions: 4 users
I emailed Mr. Davis a few days after my interview on 11/3 and he responded two days later telling me my decision would be emailed on the 23rd. So yeah, we should hear from him sometime today. I'm super anxious!

Edit: I just got an acceptance email! So you should year back soon! :))))

Thank you! Just got my acceptance! I celebrated by accidentally emptying an entire catheter bag on my shoe at work shortly thereafter :) Looks like we interviewed on the same day! I loved the school and everybody in my interview group -- so I'm stoked that you got in as well!

Reactions: 3 users
If there are any current Touro students that wouldn't mind answering some questions via PM, please let me know!

If there are any current Touro students that wouldn't mind answering some questions via PM, please let me know!

You should email your student tour guide! They were super helpful :)

High alternate list (3.3/30) hoping for the best! I felt I kind said some pretty dumb things in the interview so it's better than being rejected! Everyone I interviewed with (16th!) was super friendly and I hope everyone heard good news!

Sounds like it's time to quit hoping for Touro if we haven't received an II at this point?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewing 12/8....will be in the Marriott lounge for "beverage and cocktail services 5-9pm" on Monday evening, if anyone wants to kick it!

It is graded

It is?

I'm almost done with my first semester and I thought we were on pass/fail. oops. in the end, it really doesn't matter because your class rank will be the most (and still not THAT) important thing.

Anyone know where we stand right now in the class being full?

Complete since 10/7
Still waiting..
Any II's or news anyone?

Quick question. The last email I received from them in August said my application was SUBMITTED. But should I have received an additional email saying my application is COMPLETE or something along those lines. Just realizing this now and wondering if I should call them and ask for a status update.

Congrats to all those who have been accepted so far!

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, got an II and am scheduled to interview Dec 7th! Pretty nervous since this will be my first one lol

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, got an II and am scheduled to interview Dec 7th! Pretty nervous since this will be my first one lol

Congrats! :)
Practice as much as you can this week before you go! Try not to be nervous, to get an II is a big accomplishment, they send you one because they want to know you more!

When you submit everything, including secondary, how long do they usually respond about interviews if you are granted one?

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

No worries. I think my LM is 65-66ish? That's with a post bacc for academic enhancement. Some decent ECs and letters but nothing extraordinary either.

When you submit everything, including secondary, how long do they usually respond about interviews if you are granted one?

Hmm not entirely sure. For me it was a couple weeks. I dunno if anyone else's turn around times are similar but I don't think so. I think some were II'd after a month or 2.

Any TouroCOM MS3 or MS4 students out there who wouldn't mind answering a few Qs via PM? :) Thanks!

Tonight! At the Marriott lounge in Vallejo, it's Pope ChaChaStix!

7pm til 9. Join if you like!

Tomorrow! We interview......

Complete since 9/24....is Touro always this slow?

Was complete since 8/26. Haven't heard anything back. Probably this means rejection :(

Does anyone know if IIs are sent out on a particular day of the week? I've been complete since September and haven't heard a peep.

Will be withdrawing my acceptance from here :) Good luck to you all! (Now I just have to work up the courage to type up that email and send it.....definitely will by the end of the week)

EDIT: idiotic question. Do I send this email to registrar or admissions?

Will be withdrawing my acceptance from here :) Good luck to you all! (Now I just have to work up the courage to type up that email and send it.....definitely will by the end of the week)

EDIT: idiotic question. Do I send this email to registrar or admissions?

My guess would be admissions. The response form that came with our acceptance letter is addressed to Admissions, so that's my best bet. Out of curiosity, did you do this before or after you paid your first deposit? Paying the first deposit isn't barring you from receiving acceptances from other schools, right?

My guess would be admissions. The response form that came with our acceptance letter is addressed to Admissions, so that's my best bet. Out of curiosity, did you do this before or after you paid your first deposit? Paying the first deposit isn't barring you from receiving acceptances from other schools, right?

Yes, I paid the deposit. I'm not sure if AACOMAS has something like traffic day (like in AMCAS), so actually you could hold multiple acceptances at least for a little while. I just don't want to take a spot that could go to someone who really wants to go here, especially if my decision is like 90% made