Tufts c/o 2016 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ughh I wish this existed nowwwwww

Feel free to create one!!! I most likely will start it as soon as I mail my Tufts stuff back! So, ETA: Tuesday! (unless I get all my stuff done tomorrow.......keep your fingers crossed!;))

That being said, I'll be inviting anyone on the official thread & I'll post the link here. :biglove:

Members don't see this ad.

Feel free to create one!!! I most likely will start it as soon as I mail my Tufts stuff back! So, ETA: Tuesday! (unless I get all my stuff done tomorrow.......keep your fingers crossed!;))

That being said, I'll be inviting anyone on the official thread & I'll post the link here. :biglove:

I can wait until Tuesday. You sound like you're so much farther ahead than me... My goal is to start (and finish?) my fafsa tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got my official letter today!!! :-D Anyone know anything about the special "dean's invitation for accepted students" on March 30? Sounds intriguing...

I saw this too. Is anyone thinking of going? Wish they'd give us more information on what it involves.

I'm from Hamilton, a small town about 30 minutes north of Boston. I'll be moving with my yellow lab, Illy!

Kegra- did you introduce yourself on the facebook page (official) yet. its easier for me there, i forgot to check here everyday now that I've got my acceptance!

Hey Guys!
I plan on attending Tufts in the fall (offically canceling my Upenn interview today since I finally got my official letter from Tufts! :love:) and I was hoping to get some advice on housing. My boyfriend and other roommate both go to school/work in Boston and we are trying to find a place to live next year that is a good compromise. So far we all seem to be in semi-agreement that Wellesley is a good place but the last commuter rail leaves at 5pm from Grafton to Wellesley (which I assume is waaaay to early since we'll have class till at least then :confused:). Do you guys know how many students usually commute to Tufts and where they usually live? Do most of them drive or take the commuter rail?

Thanks!! Congrats to everyone and good luck to those waiting. :luck:

Hey Guys!
I plan on attending Tufts in the fall (offically canceling my Upenn interview today since I finally got my official letter from Tufts! :love:) and I was hoping to get some advice on housing. My boyfriend and other roommate both go to school/work in Boston and we are trying to find a place to live next year that is a good compromise. So far we all seem to be in semi-agreement that Wellesley is a good place but the last commuter rail leaves at 5pm from Grafton to Wellesley (which I assume is waaaay to early since we'll have class till at least then :confused:). Do you guys know how many students usually commute to Tufts and where they usually live? Do most of them drive or take the commuter rail?

Natick is great and pretty much exactly half way. I actually know a couple other vet students who commute from Natick, too.

From the perspective of a native of Westborough, I would reccomend (West) Newton or Waltham over Wellsely unless you have kids, as you will get a lot more for your money without paying the taxes for the admittedly fantastic schools. Remember you can get to tufts on the commuter rail, making sites close to rail lines highly advantageous.

Also a huge number of people commute from westborough/grafton to Boston, though I would highly recommend doing it by rail, some people don't mind the Interstate 90 parking lot.

Last edited:
Hey Guys!

I'm a first year at Tufts right now, and I live in Natick! My husband works in Boston, so it's been a nice halfway point for both of us. I have a car, so every morning I make the 30-35 minute drive to school. I know a few others who live in Natick, but most of them, if not all, drive to school. The commuter rail schedule is pretty terrible in terms of going into/coming out of Grafton.
Also, in our first year, so far we've only had a a few days when academic classes have ended at 5. Most days we end at 4 at the latest. However, we have Clinical Skills every other Thursday, which is scheduled to end at 5 PM.

Hey SDN 2016 Tuftees: I'm really conflicted about whether or not we need an "[not/un]official" group. In the past, each class just seems to start their own FB group but now that admissions went ahead and made an OFFICIAL group....:confused:. Leave me some thoughts on here or send PMs and if you'd like, I'll set it up tonight when I get to work.

Hey SDN 2016 Tuftees: I'm really conflicted about whether or not we need an "[not/un]official" group. In the past, each class just seems to start their own FB group but now that admissions went ahead and made an OFFICIAL group....:confused:. Leave me some thoughts on here or send PMs and if you'd like, I'll set it up tonight when I get to work.

Do ittttt :)
If you're concerned about being the only admin, you can add me too if you want! I would but I'm at work at it'd be tricky on my phone. Maybe instead of advertising the group on the official page, try sending a PM to each person. Only if you want. No need to give into my peer pressure.

Thanks so much for the advice guys! Look's like I'll try to convince my roomates to live in Natick and try to find a car for the long days. Now back to trying to pass and register for my last three pre-requisite classes for Tufts :scared:

Hey Guys!

I clicked on this thread simply to see your avatar to see if my suspicions were correct and indeed they are! I think ayeayes are so darn cool. I'm an 'old world' girl; but the nocturnals always catch my attention. Best of luck at Tufts! You're going to have some AWESOME classmates! And I would like to personally thank you for cancelling your UPenn interview. Maybe they have yet to send my rejection for a reason... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
I clicked on this thread simply to see your avatar to see if my suspicions were correct and indeed they are! I think ayeayes are so darn cool. I'm an 'old world' girl; but the nocturnals always catch my attention. Best of luck at Tufts! You're going to have some AWESOME classmates! And I would like to personally thank you for cancelling your UPenn interview. Maybe they have yet to send my rejection for a reason... :rolleyes:

LMMS - you're the best! :luck::xf::luck: Holding my breath for you and everything! (a friend of mine got a rejection from UPenn yesterday so.....)

ayeayes - the coolest creatures to visit at Philly Zoo. oh yesh;)

daw thanks LMMS! I took tropical ecology last semester and I couldn't help but be impressed with these little guys (especially their elongated-maggot-scraping middle finger :laugh:). LMMS good luck with Upenn! I'm sure that it'll all work out! Kaydubs-I'm jealous! I've never actually seen a real ayeaye...only the BBC youtube clip lol

Just curious, do most people usually wait for Tufts to send us the housing information (they said they would in May?) or just start finding housing on their own earlier?
I've been looking around online at apartments around Grafton to get a feel for prices, but I want to wait until at least after the admitted students day to decide about roommates and location.

does anyone know the situation with our rabies vaccines? Does the school pay for them for us? My doc (vet) said i'd get it for free at school so he wouldn't pay for mine (no surprise since I'm leaving in six months!) but I feel like things have changed since he went to school, so they probably don't pay, right?

does anyone know the situation with our rabies vaccines? Does the school pay for them for us? My doc (vet) said i'd get it for free at school so he wouldn't pay for mine (no surprise since I'm leaving in six months!) but I feel like things have changed since he went to school, so they probably don't pay, right?

I just sent them an email regarding this- if you get the student health insurance through Tufts, then the vaccines will be covered. Otherwise, I think you'll have to pay out of pocket.

So I've tirelessly searching the web for some information regarding the waitlist @ Tufts. How many people are on there? when do they start calling people off the list?
Does anyone has any info to share. Definitely a lil bit anxious. :shrug:

So I've tirelessly searching the web for some information regarding the waitlist @ Tufts. How many people are on there? when do they start calling people off the list?
Does anyone has any info to share. Definitely a lil bit anxious. :shrug:

They don't disclose any info about how many people are in the alternate pool. They do not rank at Tufts, so any spots that open up involve re-evaluating alternates to choose someone. Any calling off happens AFTER April 15th, which is the common response date for all the vet schools, so you can just ignore everything until then! ;)

They don't disclose any info about how many people are in the alternate pool. They do not rank at Tufts, so any spots that open up involve re-evaluating alternates to choose someone. Any calling off happens AFTER April 15th, which is the common response date for all the vet schools, so you can just ignore everything until then! ;)

Thanks for the info....I guess all i can do is sit tight and make sure they receive the financial aid stuff before their deadline.

I'm curious though...was their anyone who got called off the wait list for an interview who ended up getting rejected? It seems like most of the people who weren't accepted were placed on the wait list?

Last edited:
Has anyone sent in their deposit yet? Do you know if we will get a confirmation from Tufts when they receive it?

Has anyone sent in their deposit yet? Do you know if we will get a confirmation from Tufts when they receive it?

I sent mine yesterday!! I haven't heard anything yet but once they get the deposit they will send an email confirmation.

I sent June on Wednesday and live about 1 1/2 hours away. I haven't heard anything yet but I'm so antsy to start planning and finding and apartment!

So, things have been running away from me in a major way...

In short, I will do my BEST to get this Tufts 2016 (unofficial/looking for housing etc) group up and running ASAP (cross your fingers :xf:). I know everyone wants to find housing (myself included) and the official FB group consists of everyone introducing themselves and just sorta going about their lives. So, if my dial-up internet does not go kaput on me today, we should be in business soon! :D

Question: So I am in my final semester of undergrad, and I will graduate in June. I have already fulfilled all of my pre-req's for Tufts as of the fall and am just finishing up a few classes to graduate. Do you think I still have to send in my transcripts at the end of this semester? I'm hoping not, because now that I am in, my motivation has gone :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown: and I am thinking about taking micro pass/fail so it doesn't affect my gpa and I can still graduate with honors :)

So for those of you that may have gotten the email about the admitted students day on March 30th, I just called and they said they would prefer if it was just the students who came and not parents. I really wanted to show my mom but the school, but I guess there is plenty of time for that now!

Sent my "thanks but no thanks" letter to Tufts yesterday... Here's hoping it opens up a spot to one of you guys!

random question: does anyone know how much tuition has gone up at Tufts in the last 5 years or so? Or has their tuition been pretty steady for a while? Thanks :)

A random question that i'm hoping you guys can help me with! I have three more pre-requisite classes to take this semester and next summer before enrolling in the fall. I was just wondering if you guys knew what the minimum grade is to have a pre-requisite count as "successfully completed" for tufts?

A random question that i'm hoping you guys can help me with! I have three more pre-requisite classes to take this semester and next summer before enrolling in the fall. I was just wondering if you guys knew what the minimum grade is to have a pre-requisite count as "successfully completed" for tufts?

I'm assuming either a C or a C-, depending on what they count as passing

For those of you who are already accepted (congratulations by the way!) - what is the first day of class?

For those of you who are already accepted (congratulations by the way!) - what is the first day of class?

Orientation on August 27th. Classes start August 28th. Good luck to those of you still waiting! :luck:

So for those of you that may have gotten the email about the admitted students day on March 30th, I just called and they said they would prefer if it was just the students who came and not parents. I really wanted to show my mom but the school, but I guess there is plenty of time for that now!

I hate that! They want me to do the 5 hour drive alone :( I need help looking for houses!

Im currently on the waitlist for Tufts. If i did happen to get in off the waitlist, do you think they would allow me to defer the year? I found a very unique opportunity to do for a year and it would be unfortunate to pass it up. I have heard that accepted applicants can request deferment but I wasnt sure if applicants accepted from the waitlist also have this option. I do not want to ask the admissions committee at this point because it might put me at a disadvantage and veterinary school is my dream.

Does anyone know where people go to get a beer or a dinner out? Is there anything at all in the N.Grafton or Grafton area? If not, how far do you have to go to find a decent pub?

Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back from Tufts regarding institutional aid/grants?

It should be in the paperwork somewhere but as long as you got your info in by the deadline you will know by the beginning of April--ie before the decision deadline of April 15th.

Does anyone know where people go to get a beer or a dinner out? Is there anything at all in the N.Grafton or Grafton area? If not, how far do you have to go to find a decent pub?

There's the Post Office Pub, which is pretty decent. The only other place I go to regularly with classmates is the mexican restaurant, Cancun's - it's become our post-anatomy exam tradition. Worcester has a bunch of options, and the more social people in my class can probably give specific suggestions for other nearby towns. But the point is that yes, there are local places to drink :).

I just declined my admission to Tufts- hope this makes someone on the waitlist happy very soon!

Wait, we're not supposed to bring parents for the admitted students day? My mom already took off so we can split the drive. She hasnt been there yet - the boyfriend split the drive for interviews. Did I just miss the part of the email where they suggested against it? :(

Wait, we're not supposed to bring parents for the admitted students day? My mom already took off so we can split the drive. She hasnt been there yet - the boyfriend split the drive for interviews. Did I just miss the part of the email where they suggested against it? :(

It wasn't in the email, but when I called them to RSVP I asked about bringing my mom. They said they would prefer this to be a students-only event. I'd suggest calling them and explaining your situation. They've been nothing but nice when I've contacted them with questions.

Looking forward to meeting a bunch of you this Friday!!! I'm one of the students you can pepper with questions--& I get a free lunch in return. :D See you then!

Just repeating guppy73's welcome! To those of you who will be visiting our anatomy lab tomorrow, feel free to ask a lot of questions during your time there, not just about anatomy but about vet school in general! We encourage you guys to interact with us and get to know as much about the school as you can. :)

Guppy73 - were you the one that mentioned that you may be a bit sleep deprived from a pot-bellied pig? You were too cute/funny - thanks for the pat on the back and generally being so upbeat! It's always good to see that there's smiling faces, even after long nights and tough days (and even after almost 3 years of vet school).

Yup, that was me--guilty as charged. Glad you enjoyed it (and glad that I was coherent)!

Sending in my deposit today!! Has anyone gotten any information back regarding their financial aid?