Tufts c/o 2018 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadisestrama

DAVIS C/O 2018!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
not sure if there's a thread for this or not. But anywho Tufts is my top school even though it's not my IS. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Western is my #1 (mostly because I think I stand the best chance of getting in) but I love everything about tufts, and it is my #2 currently. Gonna get started on their app soon, those essays are gonna be hard, but we gotta face the challenge! :)

i'm hoping for c/o 2019 :D but i'll keep close tabs on this thread!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! I hope to meeting all of you next year. :) I obviously can't answer every questions about Tufts because I haven't started yet, but I can answer questions about Massachusetts (I have lived in MA my whole life).

@dragoncat: why Western? I thought Western doesn't have a preference for IS or OOS?
@SV88: I probably won't be getting in the 2018 cycle so I'm hoping for AT THE LATEST the 2019 cycle haha.
@CloudlessNights: If by some miracle I get into Tufts (or anywhere for that matter), I'll definitely ask you Q about MA (and/or Tufts).

MA is the best :) I'm from here as well.

@dragoncat: why Western? I thought Western doesn't have a preference for IS or OOS?

More because my GPA is not especially outstanding...its on the low end of average, and Western's statistics say that the avg entering class GPA is even lower than mine, so that's why I think I stand the best chance there. But as far as the program and other aspects of the school, Tufts is my #1 choice.

Just realized we have two threads for Tufts this year! Double lucky, maybe? ;)

How's everyone doing with their essays? We're a week away from deadline time!

Essays finally complete! Application done and submitted. huggeeeeeee weight off my chest! Tufts is my second choice after UPenn!

Just when I think Tufts can't get any greater, they do something that makes me like them even more.

Does anyone know why they extended the deadline?

In 2011 (if I remember correctly), Tufts extended the deadline then, as well. I have never asked why but I'm glad they do. They ask thought-provoking questions with their essays and I appreciate the time to ponder and review.

If you could be any piece of furniture, what would it be, and how much would you cost? Be specific about finishes.

In 2011 (if I remember correctly), Tufts extended the deadline then, as well. I have never asked why but I'm glad they do. They ask thought-provoking questions with their essays and I appreciate the time to ponder and review.

If you could be any piece of furniture, what would it be, and how much would you cost? Be specific about finishes.

The admissions faculty at Tufts is SO AWESOME.

They also extended the deadline last year, but I think it was mostly due to Hurricane Sandy.

Members don't see this ad :)

They seem to do it pretty frequently. They did it both years I applied (2010 and 2011) and from what I can recall, there was no major event that happened in 2010. I think 2011 had that giant snow storm at the end of October, which might have contributed to it that year.

They seem to do it pretty frequently. They did it both years I applied (2010 and 2011) and from what I can recall, there was no major event that happened in 2010. I think 2011 had that giant snow storm at the end of October, which might have contributed to it that year.

They also did it when I applied in 2009 for no reason. I think they just do it every year for the hell of it.

Urgent: did anyone (in this cycle or previous ones) accidentally just fill in the 6 main boxes for "Experiences" and NOT continue the rest of their experiences in the Additional Info document? i met with ford barnet as part of my school's pre-vet society and he looked at me and was like, wait, you didn't do that, did you? i emailed the office today to see what i could do to fix it, but just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before. i think my application is still fairly strong without the minor experiences i wasn't able to include, but i failed to mention my research experience (my main problem with this error) and one of my minor experiences that didn't make it into the app is mentioned in my personal statement.

obviously i just have to wait for what they say - and their staff is so freaking awesome - but i was wondering if anyone had done this too.

Urgent: did anyone (in this cycle or previous ones) accidentally just fill in the 6 main boxes for "Experiences" and NOT continue the rest of their experiences in the Additional Info document? i met with ford barnet as part of my school's pre-vet society and he looked at me and was like, wait, you didn't do that, did you? i emailed the office today to see what i could do to fix it, but just wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before. i think my application is still fairly strong without the minor experiences i wasn't able to include, but i failed to mention my research experience (my main problem with this error) and one of my minor experiences that didn't make it into the app is mentioned in my personal statement.

obviously i just have to wait for what they say - and their staff is so freaking awesome - but i was wondering if anyone had done this too.

Hopefully they allow you to add experiences after the fact, but, no, I did not have this same issue. My vet/animal/biomed experiences fit onto that page, and then I added everything else in the "non-animal" document and/or the extracurricular table. In an interview, hopefully, things can also be expounded upon. Good luck!

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Even if they can't fix it, I doubt it'll make the difference between interview vs. reject piles. You can just talk about it during your interview. Plus, if you're really worried about it, just list the ones that got chopped out in a word document and email it along. I'm sure they'll stick it in your file.

So you know how Tufts requires Genetics or a General Biology sequence that covers genetics? Well, in my application, I wrote that I was going to take Genetics this Spring. However, I don't think I'll be able to get into a section at any of the uni's near me - they are all full already. My general biology sequence actually did cover genetics - should I let admissions know this now since I may not take it in the Spring? Or is this only something I will have to let them know if I get an interview/am accepted? Basically, I don't want to come May and then I'm SOL b/c Admissions won't accept my biology sequence as the genetics prerequisite. Does anyone know if they verify your biology sequence by requesting a syllabus or something when you list it as the genetics prerequisite? Or do they just take your word for it? Of course, I also applied to Ohio State and Iowa which will require Genetics so I may have to figure out some other option! Also, if I find a genetics course offered online - does anyone know if Ohio State, Tufts, or Ohio State will accept it?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So you know how Tufts requires Genetics or a General Biology sequence that covers genetics? Well, in my application, I wrote that I was going to take Genetics this Spring. However, I don't think I'll be able to get into a section at any of the uni's near me - they are all full already. My general biology sequence actually did cover genetics - should I let admissions know this now since I may not take it in the Spring? Or is this only something I will have to let them know if I get an interview/am accepted? Basically, I don't want to come May and then I'm SOL b/c Admissions won't accept my biology sequence as the genetics prerequisite. Does anyone know if they verify your biology sequence by requesting a syllabus or something when you list it as the genetics prerequisite? Or do they just take your word for it? Of course, I also applied to Ohio State and Iowa which will require Genetics so I may have to figure out some other option! Also, if I find a genetics course offered online - does anyone know if Ohio State, Tufts, or Ohio State will accept it?
Try looking at Oregon State University. They offer BI 311 Genetics online, if you can't find an on-campus class near you. Although if you're out of state, I'm not sure how expensive that would be.I think it would be a great idea to email admissions and ask. I emailed with a very similar question before I applied. My general biology sequence covered genetics, and I took BI 311 online at Oregon State, and I took Molecular Biology at my university (which covered the molecular basis of genetics and DNA). They told me I had more than completed the requirement, so I'm not sure which classes they accepted, but something worked! Admissions at Tufts seems awesome about answering questions.

Try looking at Oregon State University. They offer BI 311 Genetics online, if you can't find an on-campus class near you. Although if you're out of state, I'm not sure how expensive that would be.I think it would be a great idea to email admissions and ask. I emailed with a very similar question before I applied. My general biology sequence covered genetics, and I took BI 311 online at Oregon State, and I took Molecular Biology at my university (which covered the molecular basis of genetics and DNA). They told me I had more than completed the requirement, so I'm not sure which classes they accepted, but something worked! Admissions at Tufts seems awesome about answering questions.
Thanks for the advice! I am looking into the Oregon state class now and I think I will email admissions tomorrow just to make sure.... Rather than stress about whether or not I will get off the waitlist to get into a genetics class at the local uni's (nj has way too many people!!!!), it seems more logical to take online...

UC Berkeley also has a genetics class online through the extension. It costs $850 and you can start anytime, and take 90 days to complete the course. Online and extension courses are a godsend!

Thanks for the advice! I am looking into the Oregon state class now and I think I will email admissions tomorrow just to make sure.... Rather than stress about whether or not I will get off the waitlist to get into a genetics class at the local uni's (nj has way too many people!!!!), it seems more logical to take online...

willowleaf - do you know if oregon state offers genetics online in the spring? they don't have that schedule up yet... hopefully they will post it soon. vacameanscow - i will look into berkley extension too. does anyone know of a school that offers both animal nutrition and genetics online? i was going to take animal nutrition online at a state school in nj, but if i could enroll in 2 course at the same uni it would be better i think. i am trying not to add many more schools to my transcript than necessary... I'm worried what adcom will think since i already have several on there since i did like 12 classes in my post-bacc program and then took 2 classes at separate uni's in the summer and also had to put my study abroad institution on there. does anyone have any thoughts on whether adcom cares how many different schools you go to?

I'm not sure how many schools you have, but I had transcripts from four different schools. I really don't think they'll care. I feel like they know many schools don't offer all classes and that students will look into distance learning or other options to have all their pre-reqs.

I'm not sure how many schools you have, but I had transcripts from four different schools. I really don't think they'll care. I feel like they know many schools don't offer all classes and that students will look into distance learning or other options to have all their pre-reqs.
oooh good. i was really stressed about that. i have 5 - thanks orca :)

willowleaf - do you know if oregon state offers genetics online in the spring? they don't have that schedule up yet... hopefully they will post it soon. vacameanscow - i will look into berkley extension too. does anyone know of a school that offers both animal nutrition and genetics online? i was going to take animal nutrition online at a state school in nj, but if i could enroll in 2 course at the same uni it would be better i think. i am trying not to add many more schools to my transcript than necessary... I'm worried what adcom will think since i already have several on there since i did like 12 classes in my post-bacc program and then took 2 classes at separate uni's in the summer and also had to put my study abroad institution on there. does anyone have any thoughts on whether adcom cares how many different schools you go to?

I'm pretty sure Oregon State offers genetics in the spring. I took it online last spring, so unless the schedule changes I'm guessing it will be offered again. If you download the syllabus for the Fall 2013 class, you can get the contact information for the professor. She also taught it last spring, so she may be able to tell you whether it's offered next spring.

As for nutrition, I'm pretty sure pre-vet students at my university used to take online nutrition at Oregon State, through their Animal Science department (my school doesn't offer nutrition either). I think they generally took it during summer term, but maybe it was offered other terms as well. I can't be certain Oregon State still offers online nutrition though, because I didn't see it on their current online education schedule.

Also, I applied this cycle with 7 transcripts... I used the additional information/explanation statement section of VMCAS to explain my transfers and co-enrollments, because I wanted the schools to know that each additional transcript came from a logical decision or a need to find certain prerequisites.

I'm pretty sure Oregon State offers genetics in the spring. I took it online last spring, so unless the schedule changes I'm guessing it will be offered again. If you download the syllabus for the Fall 2013 class, you can get the contact information for the professor. She also taught it last spring, so she may be able to tell you whether it's offered next spring.

As for nutrition, I'm pretty sure pre-vet students at my university used to take online nutrition at Oregon State, through their Animal Science department (my school doesn't offer nutrition either). I think they generally took it during summer term, but maybe it was offered other terms as well. I can't be certain Oregon State still offers online nutrition though, because I didn't see it on their current online education schedule.

Also, I applied this cycle with 7 transcripts... I used the additional information/explanation statement section of VMCAS to explain my transfers and co-enrollments, because I wanted the schools to know that each additional transcript came from a logical decision or a need to find certain prerequisites.
Yeah I didn't see it in the oregon online schedule either. I'll have to so some investigating and I will email the professor - thanks! I also wrote an explanation in my vmcas - hopefully it will be a non issue for both of us!

Is anyone else desperately wondering when "mid-November" will happen?! :nailbiting: I'm hoping Monday ...

Is anyone else desperately wondering when "mid-November" will happen?! :nailbiting: I'm hoping Monday ...
Last year, according to SDN, the first interview invite went out on the 21st. I'm dying too :eek:

Now I'm concerned: is having multiple transcripts an issue for the admissions committees? So many people study abroad, transfer colleges, take courses at community colleges, summer courses at different schools near their homes, extension classes, I thought it was a given that a sizable number of applicants would submit multiple transcripts.

As if I didn't have enough to worry about!

I need to relax.

Now I'm concerned: is having multiple transcripts an issue for the admissions committees? So many people study abroad, transfer colleges, take courses at community colleges, summer courses at different schools near their homes, extension classes, I thought it was a given that a sizable number of applicants would submit multiple transcripts.

I need to relax.

I personally only had to send one transcript, but I cannot imagine adcoms would have a problem with multiples. Like you said, SO many people are in a situation that produces multiples. Stop stressing if you can! :smug:

I need to relax.
Sorry vaca - it's something that I've been worrying about. Now reading everyone's replies, I don't think the concern is even warranted. It sounds like everyone is in the same boat so we should all be fine with lots of transcripts. Sorry to stress you out! And seriously, I find myself contemplating every day what qualifies as "mid-November"!!

I have four and I'm not worried. About that aspect, anyway. Chillax, my friends :p

Last edited:
Sorry, I double-posted by accident and I'm not sure if it's possible to delete posts... I guess I wanted to wish everyone double the luck :laugh:.

So I have a bit of a curious situation going on right now... Apparently, someone from Tufts has been trying to get in touch with me for the last few months. They called my parent's home phone in October and just again this month. Both times my parents neglected to ask specifics so I have no idea whether it's someone from admissions or a student asking for a donation or something. I'm not sure whether to let it slide or just phone out of curiosity. Has anyone had this happen where they applied the previous year someone from the school called?
Um, honestly, I wouldn't even ask. I'd just call.

Does anyone know exactly where the tracking page will be located? Do we log into the same application system, or is the tracking page something different? I'll email the school if no one here knows, I just feel like I've sent so many questions to them this cycle...

So I have a bit of a curious situation going on right now... Apparently, someone from Tufts has been trying to get in touch with me for the last few months. They called my parent's home phone in October and just again this month. Both times my parents neglected to ask specifics so I have no idea whether it's someone from admissions or a student asking for a donation or something. I'm not sure whether to let it slide or just phone out of curiosity. Has anyone had this happen where they applied the previous year someone from the school called?

I've been getting emails from them throughout this application cycle about submitting an application, but no phone calls. Did you apply for any jobs there? I applied for a few openings in January/February and it took them more than 6 months to get back to me. A couple of them were pretty vague when they first called too, so that could be it.

Update on this: Ford Barnet had me just forward along an edited version of what I wanted. Love their admissions office.

I know I posted on this thread this morning, and jerseyshoregirl replied to my post... am I losing it or did those posts get deleted?

Ha! They totally did! I replied this morning too :confused:

So I take it no one heard anything today, or those who heard aren't on SDN.

So I take it no one heard anything today, or those who heard aren't on SDN.
I don't think so cause I've been stalking SDN and my email all day LOL

I heard they went through all the applications and are sorting out the ones with missing information. I was missing information ... :(

Oh, no! Does that mean you're out of the running? That doesn't seem like Tufts ... I wonder how much longer it will be before that portal thing is set up.

I know I posted on this thread this morning, and jerseyshoregirl replied to my post... am I losing it or did those posts get deleted?
Oh thank god I am not losing it... I was starting to think that all this "interview frenzy" was getting to my head. I was sitting here a few hours ago contemplating whether my/your post was a dream. I also posted to a few other boards around the same time, and those are gone as well... My second thought was that they intentionally deleted my posts for being pesky.

I heard they went through all the applications and are sorting out the ones with missing information. I was missing information ... :(
Did they contact you? Are you able to rectify it? Sorry :(