University of Missouri c/o 2018 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've started to go through some orientation stuff about schedules, dress code, etc. I wish I could share these videos with everyone on here! They are very informative. Just because Mizzou is very different with instructional periods instead of semesters, and that we go an extra IP in June, and a slightly shorter winter break.

I finished the online orientation the other day. Very well put together.

And before everyone freaks about about the dress code- it's really not that bad!! We can wear jeans ( no holes allowed ) we can only wear Mizzou tshirts for tshirts and we can wear pretty much any shirt/ blouse that isn't too revealing and doesn't have huge logos on it ( not a problem bc I have stocked up on Mizzou apparel ) and as long as you don't look like a slob then your pretty much ok lol

Members don't see this ad.

I finished the online orientation the other day. Very well put together.

And before everyone freaks about about the dress code- it's really not that bad!! We can wear jeans ( no holes allowed ) we can only wear Mizzou tshirts for tshirts and we can wear pretty much any shirt/ blouse that isn't too revealing and doesn't have huge logos on it ( not a problem bc I have stocked up on Mizzou apparel ) and as long as you don't look like a slob then your pretty much ok lol

Yeah, the dress code isn't too bad at all (could be a lot worse!) Too bad I really can't wear any of my nerd shirts to class, though, that makes me really sad :( That is like... my whole collection of shirts so I'm going to need to get quite a few more Mizzou shirts.

Just curious, what's the thinking/reasoning behind the dress code? I can see the justification behind a dress code while one is working in the clinics, but who really cares what you wear to class? Is Mizzou really that uptight about what you wear while you're sitting in a lecture hall? Why?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just curious, what's the thinking/reasoning behind the dress code? I can see the justification behind a dress code while one is working in the clinics, but who really cares what you wear to class? Is Mizzou really that uptight about what you wear while you're sitting in a lecture hall? Why?

The dress code was written by students and is student-enforced. My class didn't care much, as long as you were decently covered, but the 2nd years decided to really enforce it.

I'm not at Mizzou yet, but from what I have seen/ heard at other vet schools- Mizzou is not uptight one bit... For example- at Auburn the dress code is Business Professional from day one. Meaning shirt And tie for men, slacks/ nice shirt for women-- no blue jeans! .. Mississippi State has a similar dress code as Auburn. Florida also has a business casual dress code ( I believe they are a little more lenient than Auburn and MSU)

As for why- I believe it is because this is professional school and they do not want us to dress like your typical undergrad class.. Students have to wear their ID badges while on the property and they want us to look somewhat together since we are representing the school. Prospective students, college Donors, etc may come to the school at anytime And they want you to at least be in jeans and a Mizzou tee- showing support for your school!! I would definitely research all of the schools your applying to if dress code is going to be an issue.. It's not something most schools advertise, but you will find that a lot of vet schools have a dress code hidden in their student handbook.

I personally don't think it's a big deal to wear other schools' logos, but I don't wear them because it's technically in the dress code. We can still wear jeans, skirts, whatever's comfortable though, as long as you have appropriate parts covered ;)

I'll admit, I was and still am completely jealous of my husband because the med school's dress code is not enforced, and I know he went to school about 3x per week in sweatpants or gym shorts.

I do not buy into the whole "it's professional school" bit nearly as much as people want me to, so I don't see a big deal with it. You are literally sitting in a classroom, usually in the same seat for 3, 4, 5+ hours in one day. Sometimes you just want to wear comfy stuff. And no, clients don't just wander in like they try to tell us. If they do, they end up at the Dean's office and get redirected. I have run into people outside, but there are undergrads who live and go to class right nearby, so they don't know the difference.

I totally get it for clinics, and if there are guest speakers or if there are big donors or reps from the AVMA coming in for accreditation, but other than that.... nahhhh. But I still put up with it and can be just as comfy in my jeans and shirts I had to go buy, I suppose.

Not gonna lie- I wanted to narrow my school list by a school to save money and bc of Auburns rather strict dress code they were cut from the list lol

I just want to wear jeans and a tshirt.. Or jeans with any other type of shirt.. I LOOOVE wearing jeans :)

Not gonna lie- I wanted to narrow my school list by a school to save money and bc of Auburns rather strict dress code they were cut from the list lol

I just want to wear jeans and a tshirt.. Or jeans with any other type of shirt.. I LOOOVE wearing jeans :)

Haha yeah, it's definitely not cheap to upgrade the wardrobe. Fortunately, the Goodwill in town is a good resource, with the undergrad population being so big. I haven't looked for tops, but their collection of slacks usually lands me 1-2 pairs for a couple bucks each.

Thanks for the information on Mizzou's dress code. A dress code isn't a make or break for me, by any means. I'm just surprised. I have a graduate degree, and graduate students wouldn't think of adhering to a dress code while attending classes or conducting experiments. While attending graduate school, I was required to complete first year physiology at the university's medical school. As far as I could tell from all of the med students in the room, I didn't see any existence of a dress code. I definitely expected a dress code for a veterinary student's clinical years (any time a student is interacting with clients), but am quite surprised that the school would enforce a dress code while students are sitting in class all day. Auburn's business casual standard seems ridiculous to me- especially in southern heat! You're not going to be interacting with clients while you're sitting in anatomy, immunology, etc. in your first two years. As for school unity and not representing other institutions, what is the school afraid of, that you're not showing school spirit? You've just signed a contract to hand over > $100,000 for the cost of your education. Of course you're proud of your school! That doesn't mean that you can't be proud of where your friend also goes to vet school (or any other institution for that matter), and happened to pick you up a shirt as a souvenir.

I'm cool with the dress code. No problem here. I used to work in industry so I know what that is all about. I'm just very surprised that this is enforced by veterinary schools before a student's clinical years. As for 'it's professional school,' I guarantee that the students who are working on their PhDs are working just as hard on their degrees as the vet students are on their clinical degrees, and they are not required to adhere to a dress code. It doesn't make sense to me.

No matter. Mizzou is awesome. I'd be stoked to go there. Happy to adhere to their dress code ;)

Yeah, one of my friends was all about the no other school logos thing. I love my undergrad, am proud to have gone there, and want to rock my t-shirts occasionally. Why does going to Mizzou automatically mean I can't show off where I came from?

Sorry for the hijack. I still get annoyed I can't wear my undergrad stuff... :p Other than that, it's easy peasy to follow and I love my school. Can't imagine being anywhere else :)

Question for current Mizzou students: I will be applying as an OOS student, banking on establishing residency after the first year. How difficult is it to find a summer job in the area, preferably at the vet school or a local clinic, that makes enough to qualify you for residency?

Question for current Mizzou students: I will be applying as an OOS student, banking on establishing residency after the first year. How difficult is it to find a summer job in the area, preferably at the vet school or a local clinic, that makes enough to qualify you for residency?

If you have any interest in doing some research, look into the Veterinary Research Scholars Program for the summer after your first year. You'll earn well beyond the required $2000 for residency, and the program is an absolute blast. Beyond that, I've never heard of anybody having much, if any difficulty finding a job to earn enough money.

If anyone is applying and is from Columbia (i.e.-an MU undergrad), I do take occasional pre-vet shadowers with my house call practice. You should already be in college and be serious about and/or in the process of applying.

I see mostly dogs (including working dogs) and cats, very occasional pocket pets and sheep/goats. Take a look at my practice website and e-mail (contact info is on my site) if interested.

http://www.rightathomevet.com

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone is applying and is from Columbia (i.e.-an MU undergrad), I do take occasional pre-vet shadowers with my house call practice. You should already be in college and be serious about and/or in the process of applying.

I see mostly dogs (including working dogs) and cats, very occasional pocket pets and sheep/goats. Take a look at my practice website and e-mail (contact info is on my site) if interested.

http://www.rightathomevet.com

So this may be silly, but are you practicing in Florida or in Missouri? I checked out your website for fun and saw that its not in Columbia.. Which then made me wonder why being an MU student / from Columbia would matter lol

So this may be silly, but are you practicing in Florida or in Missouri? I checked out your website for fun and saw that its not in Columbia.. Which then made me wonder why being an MU student / from Columbia would matter lol

I think this is the website: http://www.rightathomevetcare.com (Electrophile, correct me if I'm wrong).

That makes more sense!!! Hahaha

Haha yeah, I have heard of the practice before, so I knew there was one with that name around here!

Does Mizzou frown upon online classes for pre-reqs? I was filling out the supplemental and they have that spot to list all online classes.

Several of my classes were either only offered online or had conflicts with other classes that were only offered at one time so they had to be taken online. I'm hoping this won't be a problem! They were still with my university and I was on campus and took tests on campus.

Does Mizzou frown upon online classes for pre-reqs? I was filling out the supplemental and they have that spot to list all online classes.

Several of my classes were either only offered online or had conflicts with other classes that were only offered at one time so they had to be taken online. I'm hoping this won't be a problem! They were still with my university and I was on campus and took tests on campus.

I would check the website! Most schools will state up front what their stance is for online prerequisites.

I would check the website! Most schools will state up front what their stance is for online prerequisites.

I tried that, I couldn't find anything about it. :shrug: Which is why before the supplemental I assumed it wouldn't be a problem.

I tried that, I couldn't find anything about it. :shrug: Which is why before the supplemental I assumed it wouldn't be a problem.

" No more than two 100% on-line per academic year may be used to meet requirements in biological sciences, physical sciences, composition or communications or social sciences and/or humanities."

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/prep-undergrad.htm

I pulled this from the website. Appears that you can have 2 online classes per year... I would email or call Kathy Seay in admissions and talk to her about it, she is super nice!!

Kathy Seay in admissions and talk to her about it, she is super nice!!

Kathy is awesome. I love her! I called her to ask a few questions about how Mizzou would prefer an applicant describe her/his experience in research (i.e. what a person physically did on a project versus the hypothesis he/she investigated). I was very impressed with the way she represented Mizzou as a whole. Mizzou is rapidly becoming a top contender for me, and I haven't even visited the campus...yet (waiting for that oh so coveted interview invite come January of 2014;)). The 2+2 curriculum can't be topped, and the Mizzou culture just gives me a bunch of warm fuzzies. I can see myself being very happy there.

Anyway, Kathy is fantastic. I'm a big fan.

Kathy is awesome. I love her! I called her to ask a few questions about how Mizzou would prefer an applicant describe her/his experience in research (i.e. what a person physically did on a project versus the hypothesis he/she investigated). I was very impressed with the way she represented Mizzou as a whole. Mizzou is rapidly becoming a top contender for me, and I haven't even visited the campus...yet (waiting for that oh so coveted interview invite come January of 2014;)). The 2+2 curriculum can't be topped, and the Mizzou culture just gives me a bunch of warm fuzzies. I can see myself being very happy there.

Anyway, Kathy is fantastic. I'm a big fan.

I have to say, I wasn't that interested in Missouri when I was applying. I really just applied because of the cost and I liked their 2+2, but it really wasn't even a contender at first. Then I went to my interview and fell in love. Mizzou was the only school that actually made me feel like they WANTED me to go there. Everywhere else made it sound like they had 100 people lined up to take my place and that I was expendable. Plus the students seem to actually like representing their school, enjoy their professors for the most part and seemed really open and honest about things they liked and didn't like.

Even though I was accepted to other schools (who's names probably have a little more weight), I couldn't say no to Mizzou. Anyone who is on the fence, and can spend the money, apply anyways, because it turned out to be a really amazing surprise for me.

I have to say, I wasn't that interested in Missouri when I was applying. I really just applied because of the cost and I liked their 2+2, but it really wasn't even a contender at first. Then I went to my interview and fell in love. Mizzou was the only school that actually made me feel like they WANTED me to go there. Everywhere else made it sound like they had 100 people lined up to take my place and that I was expendable. Plus the students seem to actually like representing their school, enjoy their professors for the most part and seemed really open and honest about things they liked and didn't like.

Even though I was accepted to other schools (who's names probably have a little more weight), I couldn't say no to Mizzou. Anyone who is on the fence, and can spend the money, apply anyways, because it turned out to be a really amazing surprise for me.

Basically exactly the same here, except I really only applied because I met all the prerequisites and that was a limited group of schools. I wasn't completely aware of the in-state stuff and the 2+2 before interviewing. :oops:
But got home after the interview and said, if I get in, that's where I'm going.

Plus, I had an awesome interview buddy, so there was that too. ;)

I knew Mizzou was my #1 before I even submitted my application... I may be a little OCD... I may have an entire Mizzou wardrobe already.... bahahaha... whatever, it is what it is... at least im passionate about my school right? lol :cool:

" No more than two 100% on-line per academic year may be used to meet requirements in biological sciences, physical sciences, composition or communications or social sciences and/or humanities."

http://www.cvm.missouri.edu/prep-undergrad.htm

I pulled this from the website. Appears that you can have 2 online classes per year... I would email or call Kathy Seay in admissions and talk to her about it, she is super nice!!

Thanks so much!!! Apparently I suck at searching on their website.

No worries! I know that website better than I care to admit lol

And I quote "I live on the Mizzou website!!!!" -KPow at the Q and A session at the Mizzou interview. Announced proudly to the whole crowd. :D

And I quote "I live on the Mizzou website!!!!" -KPow at the Q and A session at the Mizzou interview. Announced proudly to the whole crowd. :D

Lol I will never live that moment down haha... I should have gotten a prize for answering the Tim and Terry question right lol

Lol I will never live that moment down haha... I should have gotten a prize for answering the Tim and Terry question right lol

Thus far my favorite KPow moment. But don't worry, I will most certainly have my own, though I expect many more from you! Agreed on the prize front! You were rockin all those questions.

Thus far my favorite KPow moment. But don't worry, I will most certainly have my own, though I expect many more from you! Agreed on the prize front! You were rockin all those questions.

I should really be a walking Mizzou billboard lol someone in another thread even said to talk to KP about Mizzou.. Lol, I guess I've made a name for myself lol

Hey all!

I decided this week that I would send an application to Mizzou after hearing so many great things about it. Based on interview feedback from SDN people really liked it, the students and staff were friendly and helpful, and the campus looks amazing. Columbia looks like a good place to be - it seems a lot like my current college town. Here's my stats:

22, male, first-time vet school applicant from Penn State (graduating this December)
Major: Animal Science
Minor: Spanish
GPA: 3.80
Last 30 or so credits: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.64 (approximately?)
GRE: taking it mid August, but aiming for mid to high 150s and a writing score of at least 4
ACT: 28
SAT: 1840-1850 (I can't remember...they ask for ACT/SAT scores for some reason?)

Other stuff...I'll try to summarize this cause there's a lot I can say...haha
Lots of extracurriculars, academic awards, animal experience (small, large/food animal, a little bit of exotics - I prefer small and exotic animal medicine at this point), some veterinary experience (about 3 or so years worth at small animal clinics, but a little bit of large animal too), two summers of research (with food animals), study abroad in Mexico, some leadership experience here and there with extracurriculars

Hobbies include writing, drawing, making videos, reading (on occasion), and music/dance

All the best to everyone applying! :)

Hey all!

I decided this week that I would send an application to Mizzou after hearing so many great things about it. Based on interview feedback from SDN people really liked it, the students and staff were friendly and helpful, and the campus looks amazing. Columbia looks like a good place to be - it seems a lot like my current college town. Here's my stats:

22, male, first-time vet school applicant from Penn State (graduating this December)
Major: Animal Science
Minor: Spanish
GPA: 3.80
Last 30 or so credits: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.64 (approximately?)
GRE: taking it mid August, but aiming for mid to high 150s and a writing score of at least 4
ACT: 28
SAT: 1840-1850 (I can't remember...they ask for ACT/SAT scores for some reason?)

Other stuff...I'll try to summarize this cause there's a lot I can say...haha
Lots of extracurriculars, academic awards, animal experience (small, large/food animal, a little bit of exotics - I prefer small and exotic animal medicine at this point), some veterinary experience (about 3 or so years worth at small animal clinics, but a little bit of large animal too), two summers of research (with food animals), study abroad in Mexico, some leadership experience here and there with extracurriculars

Hobbies include writing, drawing, making videos, reading (on occasion), and music/dance

All the best to everyone applying! :)

Not sure if you're looking for advice/your chances or not, but your grades look pretty awesome, and if you do well on your GRE that will be great too. I'd try to aim for the 75th percentile (however that works out points wise).
Supposedly Mizzou emphasizes diversity of veterinary experience over hours in your area of interest. My understanding is that to get the full "points" for your experience section you should have at least 100 QUALITY hours of veterinary experience in SA, LA and equine. That being said, I only had SA, wildlife and zoo. I had equine animal experience, but not veterinary. So hard to say experience wise since you didn't list your hours, but I'd guess you'll have a good shot!

Not sure if you're looking for advice/your chances or not, but your grades look pretty awesome, and if you do well on your GRE that will be great too. I'd try to aim for the 75th percentile (however that works out points wise).
Supposedly Mizzou emphasizes diversity of veterinary experience over hours in your area of interest. My understanding is that to get the full "points" for your experience section you should have at least 100 QUALITY hours of veterinary experience in SA, LA and equine. That being said, I only had SA, wildlife and zoo. I had equine animal experience, but not veterinary. So hard to say experience wise since you didn't list your hours, but I'd guess you'll have a good shot!

FWIW, I only had 40 hrs of Equine experience ( just animal experience not vet experience) and over 2000 hours of SA vet experience.. With tons and tons of animal experience with SA, fish, reptiles and pocket pets.. My research was in progress and I didn't even put it on my app (oops lol)

I'd say based on grades alone you have a good shot.. Check out the stats of the class of 2017 ( I posted the link earlier in the thread).. Just do good on the GRE, and write a good PS...and just hope for the best!!

I should really be a walking Mizzou billboard lol someone in another thread even said to talk to KP about Mizzou.. Lol, I guess I've made a name for myself lol

I was like, how does she know the names of the donkeys??

And for the record, Mizzou was third out of three schools before my interview. Needless to say, they jumped up a little bit, I even turned down my in-state to come here

And for the record, Mizzou was third out of three schools before my interview. Needless to say, they jumped up a little bit, I even turned down my in-state to come here

I know two other people who did the same thing.

I forgot! That makes three! I think that says a lot about Mizzou. You should all come.

I hope they like/accept me!!!!!!! The whole application process is so nerve wracking!

I'm very excited and impressed by Mizzou on multiple fronts. Dying for an interview invite come January of 2014 ;)

Invites come in november.. Interviews are the first week of Jan :) eeeep can't wait to meet more SDN peeps :D

November....that's soon!! Thanks for letting us know, K :) I'm super excited!

I was like, how does she know the names of the donkeys??

Aw they feel insulted, they are MULES! :D

I move in Tuesday. So excited! We should do an SDN meetup before VET.

As far as interview invites go, if any in staters are reading, you will get yours in January. OOS students will have their acceptances before you even get your interview date. That made me very anxious the first go around, to have everyone on here already know when I felt I had hardly begun the process!

Aw they feel insulted, they are MULES! :D

I move in Tuesday. So excited! We should do an SDN meetup before VET.

As far as interview invites go, if any in staters are reading, you will get yours in January. OOS students will have their acceptances before you even get your interview date. That made me very anxious the first go around, to have everyone on here already know when I felt I had hardly begun the process!

We definitely should. I move in on the 31st. We'll all have to get together.

I move the 26th!!! Totally down for a SDN meet up!!

I've been here a month or so and have an ok idea of places to eat/bike/walk etc. needless to say, I'm down!

I've been here a month or so and have an ok idea of places to eat/bike/walk etc. needless to say, I'm down!

Totally just figured out who you are hahaha!