University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh yeah, I forgot what I was going to gripe about. Why do they bother to have us learn what's considered good cholesterol now since that info is constantly changing. It looks like the IHI info is already dated. My dad's cardiologist told him that his LDL should be below 75, his HDL above 40, and that it makes no sense at all to add the numbers. His doctor is the cardiology fellowship head at OSU, so I'm guessing he's pretty current on what's considered good. If they want to encourage us to be "lifelong learners" perhaps they should just focus on letting us know that we need to always remain current on this stuff instead of having us memorize already dated stuff. :)

It wouldn't hurt for them to take a look at the current professional recommendations and update the syllabus accordingly. There have been several times that I've been reading the NEJM and the AAFP journal and found information that is in direct conflict with what is written in our syllabus. I understand we can't be cutting edge, but would it be hard to set up a checklist of things to change in the syllabus every year? Thanks for having us memorize outdated information! I'm sure thats what we are going to be tested on the boards, too.

I got absolutely destroyed in my interview today. I had an angry SP and I just couldn't find the right words to defuse the situation. Oh well, now I know. Glad it didn't happen during a taped interview or something.

Members don't see this ad.

I've had the "so like pharmacy?" line once. I hate to be condescending (who am I kidding? I enjoy it. ;)) so I try avoid the conversation completely by saying I'm a student at OUHSC. I'm beginning to think we should change the name of medical school to "doctor school" or something.

I got absolutely destroyed in my interview today. I had an angry SP and I just couldn't find the right words to defuse the situation. Oh well, now I know. Glad it didn't happen during a taped interview or something.

When we get graded on our interview, they won't make us deal with the angry SP, will they? :scared: I haven't really had that encounter in either PCM or elsewhere yet, and I have zero clue how to deal with it. The EM doc I used to shadow all the time was really, really good at defusing the situation. I remember one patient who was so severely pissed when we first walked in the room, but by the time the patient was done (and they probably had to wait around in the room for several hours after waiting in the waiting room for several hours), they were all smiles and shook everyone's hands. Impressive. This doc probably would be the best one to follow for learning how to deal with patients on a personal level.

I'm sad - there will be strong storms developing tomorrow afternoon... while I'm surgery and can't watch :(. I hate that. Just like there were storms going on during the embryo test for TB1. I could hear it thundering, but I was stuck inside a room with no windows. :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm beginning to think we should change the name of medical school to "doctor school" or something.

:smuggrin: I think from now on when someone asks me what I do, I'm going to say I go to doctor school! :thumbup:

I've lucked out and had nice SPs this year. I'll probably get the angry one for the taped thing.

When we get graded on our interview, they won't make us deal with the angry SP, will they? :scared: I haven't really had that encounter in either PCM or elsewhere yet, and I have zero clue how to deal with it. The EM doc I used to shadow all the time was really, really good at defusing the situation. I remember one patient who was so severely pissed when we first walked in the room, but by the time the patient was done (and they probably had to wait around in the room for several hours after waiting in the waiting room for several hours), they were all smiles and shook everyone's hands. Impressive. This doc probably would be the best one to follow for learning how to deal with patients on a personal level.

I'm sad - there will be strong storms developing tomorrow afternoon... while I'm surgery and can't watch :(. I hate that. Just like there were storms going on during the embryo test for TB1. I could hear it thundering, but I was stuck inside a room with no windows. :thumbdown:

All they're taught us so far is to recognize that anger is the primary emotion and address it. Supposedly that magically gets rid of the anger. :rolleyes: For the first year SP, this will be enough. For real life, probably not.

When we get graded on our interview, they won't make us deal with the angry SP, will they? :scared: I haven't really had that encounter in either PCM or elsewhere yet, and I have zero clue how to deal with it.

Lucky. I've had 3 angry SPs...in a row. The 2nd one was the worst, just ask anyone from my mod. Talking back to the SP is very bad. I forgot that we were just acting. :oops:

All they're taught us so far is to recognize that anger is the primary emotion and address it. Supposedly that magically gets rid of the anger. :rolleyes: For the first year SP, this will be enough. For real life, probably not.

My last one, as a bystander, didn't turn off her angry until prolly 15 mins in. I can completely see the whole angry masking fear, but for the most part, I don't think very many people are going to be receptive if you get pissed about having to wait. Learn how to defuse that one Wax, everybody thinks the ER is first-come first-serve. I kinda like "I can see you're upset. Is there another time that might work better for you to come back and so we can get off on the right foot?" because no one in their right ****ing mind is going to walk out of an appt. and go home, knowing that they still have to come back and jump through hoops again. It puts the ball in their court, which works well because who gets angry? Control freaks and people used to getting their way. It's empowering for them, and you can carry on. That's how I approach it.

I kinda like "I can see you're upset. Is there another time that might work better for you to come back and so we can get off on the right foot?" because no one in their right ****ing mind is going to walk out of an appt. and go home, knowing that they still have to come back and jump through hoops again. It puts the ball in their court, which works well because who gets angry? Control freaks and people used to getting their way. It's empowering for them, and you can carry on. That's how I approach it.

I like it. Clever and manipulative. You get to be an ass while looking like you are being empathetic. Kudos :bow:.

What do I hate today? Well, I think biochem is still receiving the brunt of my frustration. I'm about to delve into some embryo for some extra fun. I hate that it is 10:30 at night and I have only accomplished maybe 20% of what I wanted to do for the day. I've got another 4 hours or so of being awake and I will only manage to get maybe 1/2 of today's work finished. I still have to read all of sections H and I for biochem.... and I have done zero for anatomy since saturday afternoon. :thumbdown: :( I dislike school again.

The first 45 min. of today's first HB lecture are completely worthless. We had to take an informal survey with our clickers on what we would do with each deviant sexual practice. It was really, really annoying because my clicker refused to work 80% of the time.

Some of those questions were a bit odd and required clarification. Given the choices we had, virtually everything would be age restricted. I don't think that many people would be to keen about 10 year olds experimenting on the playground.

Also, I put no restriction on many things because she wanted to know our "emotional" response. However, if a patient felt it was important to bring up the fact that he/she is a homosexual, then, unless I am taking a general social history, they must have something in mind. I would honestly "refer them to counseling" simply because they probably face a lot of problems that your average heterosexual wouldn't. Seems stressful. However, I think implicit in the questions was whether we should "cure" the behavior or let it stand.

It was a silly survey that many did not really take seriously... at least I hope. Imprisoning people for having a shoe fetish seems to be a bit excessive. Though I must admit that lesbians in prison did strike a chord....

other paths...Most people know my story. Medicine was not my first choice in healthcare, and I was given more than one speech from an attending about how medicine is going into the crapper, salaries are dropping, too many lawsuits, etc. before choosing this option (hence my flowery disposition :D). In retrospect, I think that the DO route might have had something to offer (smaller class size, Goljan, different curriculum structure), but I didn't want to spend the rest of my professional career explaining the meaning of my initials. If I had it to do over, I would have picked a much different major, gone to a different college, and probably married what was in front of me when I was 20.

Sounds like a decent amount of regret there, Ice.

Some of those questions were a bit odd and required clarification. Given the choices we had, virtually everything would be age restricted. I don't think that many people would be to keen about 10 year olds experimenting on the playground.

Also, I put no restriction on many things because she wanted to know our "emotional" response. However, if a patient felt it was important to bring up the fact that he/she is a homosexual, then, unless I am taking a general social history, they must have something in mind. I would honestly "refer them to counseling" simply because they probably face a lot of problems that your average heterosexual wouldn't. Seems stressful. However, I think implicit in the questions was whether we should "cure" the behavior or let it stand.

It was a silly survey that many did not really take seriously... at least I hope. Imprisoning people for having a shoe fetish seems to be a bit excessive. Though I must admit that lesbians in prison did strike a chord....

So... does that mean it wasn't quite worth going to? Because now that we don't have TBL, I'm intending to not go to school on Thursday.

FYI - if you were wondering, I am just now going to bed... not getting up. 5:30am is waaaay too late of a bedtime, but I just had too much BS to do. Time for some sleep and then........... SURGERY! :D

So... does that mean it wasn't quite worth going to? Because now that we don't have TBL, I'm intending to not go to school on Thursday.

Well, if you look at the very back of the HB syllabus, there's something about an "extra credit exercise." I don't know if it's actually going to happen or not....but I'm considering going to class tomorrow just b/c of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I just didn't really feel it at OSU. They were perfectly nice, and it's a good school, but it just didn't feel right. The DO schools that I liked the most were DMU and KCUMB. KCUMB's curriculum (systems based) seems great, and DMU just has that thing that makes everyone love it. They also gave me a big scholarship, which didn't hurt. DMU also heavily recruited on the west coast, so it might have felt more like home to me.

You know, I just didn't really feel it at OSU. They were perfectly nice, and it's a good school, but it just didn't feel right. The DO schools that I liked the most were DMU and KCUMB. KCUMB's curriculum (systems based) seems great, and DMU just has that thing that makes everyone love it. They also gave me a big scholarship, which didn't hurt. DMU also heavily recruited on the west coast, so it might have felt more like home to me.

What led you here rather than elsewhere? I mean, besides the world-class biochem curriculum.

And I did like OSU as well, but like Ice, felt an entire career is a long time to explain yourself. I liked the class size a lot. Wasn't real keen on the whole Tulsa thing, just for my personal situation at the time. I was really OU or bust; families live here, help with the bebe, know the area, etc...I'd be eating out of a garbage can and raising my son in a cardboard box if I went to any other school. I'm glad we both have parents who know what it feels like to have scant financial resources.

I'd be curious to see what percent of the 85% required residents actually end up practicing in OK.

So I believe we have some acceptances. Congrats to PreMedMommy for the getting the Big Red Envelope!! I'm hoping there's more out there. :thumbup:

What led you here rather than elsewhere? I mean, besides the world-class biochem curriculum.

And I did like OSU as well, but like Ice, felt an entire career is a long time to explain yourself. I liked the class size a lot. Wasn't real keen on the whole Tulsa thing, just for my personal situation at the time. I was really OU or bust; families live here, help with the bebe, know the area, etc...I'd be eating out of a garbage can and raising my son in a cardboard box if I went to any other school. I'm glad we both have parents who know what it feels like to have scant financial resources.

I'd be curious to see what percent of the 85% required residents actually end up practicing in OK.

Well, the MD thing was there, and one of my biggest concerns was the stupid Traditional Rotating Internship, which doesn't mesh well with some of the fields I'm considered (psych, neuro). Also, I thought the clinicals at OU would be better, and I thought living close to my family would take some of the stress off, which has been true.

So I believe we have some acceptances. Congrats to PreMedMommy for the getting the Big Red Envelope!! I'm hoping there's more out there. :thumbup:

Thank you Doctor Bagel! I know this is one of the top days in my life! :D

Way to go Mom! Looks like you have a lot of time to sit back and relax now. :cool:

Thank you Doctor Bagel! I know this is one of the top days in my life! :D

Congratulations!!!!!! We're all very happy for you.

Welcome to hell. :smuggrin: J/k it's worth it. I think.

Didn't get to scrub in today. Apparently mercy is pretty strict and doesn't med students scrubbing in (assume this is MSI and II, not III or IV). So... no getting to scrub in. I did yoink a pair of scrubs from mercy though :D although they aren't as stylish or cozy as the ones from deacones.

Soooo not into studying today, but I'm behind in everything. If I can't get this back on track, I may have to consider resuming attending class so I can at least feel like I'm getting exposed to the material and up to date with everyone else. We'll see how this TB comes out.

Congratulations!!!!!! We're all very happy for you.

Welcome to hell. :smuggrin: J/k it's worth it. I think.

Thanks Jwax. I am only asking myself how a fooled everyone into believing I will be a good doc. How am I ever going to learn it all is beyond me, but I'll give it my best shot.

Thanks Jwax. I am only asking myself how a fooled everyone into believing I will be a good doc. How am I ever going to learn it all is beyond me, but I'll give it my best shot.

That feeling is not going to go away. I've had a long day, and I'm feeling it right now. :eek:

But you will, and I will, too. It's just a matter of baby steps.

That feeling is not going to go away. I've had a long day, and I'm feeling it right now. :eek:

But you will, and I will, too. It's just a matter of baby steps.

:laugh: Yep. It doesn't go away. I was in shock that I managed to convince these people that I could be a good doctor (or even a bad one!). I actually just made fun of myself in front of O'Don last week along those lines.

No class attendence in 2 days = :thumbup: I guess I'm going tomorrow though so I can get some points. Speaking of HB, did anyone else realize that each examine was cumulative? Cuz I didn't. Not psyched about having to study the first TB material along with the second, and the 1st and 2nd along with the 3rd... etc. :thumbdown: Stupid HB.

Speaking of HB, did anyone else realize that each examine was cumulative? Cuz I didn't. Not psyched about having to study the first TB material along with the second, and the 1st and 2nd along with the 3rd... etc. :thumbdown: Stupid HB.

Eeeeek....really? That sucks.

Congratulations, PreMedMommy! :)

I am now taking the "high yield" approach to biochem. The pathways make me want to cry.

Speaking of HB, did anyone else realize that each examine was cumulative? Cuz I didn't. Not psyched about having to study the first TB material along with the second, and the 1st and 2nd along with the 3rd... etc. :thumbdown: Stupid HB.

It might make you feel better to realize that we only have two HB exams, not three :thumbup:

In the third TB, it's replaced by PCM.

It might make you feel better to realize that we only have two HB exams, not three :thumbup:

In the third TB, it's replaced by PCM.

It would make me feel better except we will have a 3rd HB exam during TB 4, I believe... which will be cumulative.

That and the PCM exam is supposed to suck major a-hole.

Only got a few hours of sleep last night, so tried to go to bed early tonight. Woke up after 2 hours of sleep... I guess I'll watch some embryo lectures. I'm only behind by three now :eek:. That and the 60 more pages of biochem to read... and the anatomy I know nothing about... On biochem - do we go through J or through I in the syllabus? I'm pretty sure it's just through I, but I didn't want to start taking the exam and have there be a whole section on the exam that I've never heard of before. Talk about an effing nightmare.

I'm cranky. :mad:

It would make me feel better except we will have a 3rd HB exam during TB 4, I believe... which will be cumulative.

That and the PCM exam is supposed to suck major a-hole.

Only got a few hours of sleep last night, so tried to go to bed early tonight. Woke up after 2 hours of sleep... I guess I'll watch some embryo lectures. I'm only behind by three now :eek:. That and the 60 more pages of biochem to read... and the anatomy I know nothing about... On biochem - do we go through J or through I in the syllabus? I'm pretty sure it's just through I, but I didn't want to start taking the exam and have there be a whole section on the exam that I've never heard of before. Talk about an effing nightmare.

I'm cranky. :mad:

Pretty sure it's just through I.

Used to be that exam 2 was cumulative for blocks 1 and 2, 4 was cumulative for blocks 3 and 4, and the other 2 exams were not cumulative.

That's the way that I think it still is since the first test in each semester is worth .2 of the total and the second tests are worth .3 each.

Cumulative exams aren't as bad as you think.
Usually that means you can use a board review book (one of the smaller ones) to study, since they don't usually expect you to remember quite as much minutae for a comprehensive exam.

A good example is the IHI final which is cumulative. Most people use the red BRS Pathology book to study for it. I did and made an A on just using that.
Comp. exams at the end of MS II are especially helpful as studying for those essentially means that you've studied that subject for Step I.

Hope everyone is well and enjoying school.

Usually that means you can use a board review book (one of the smaller ones) to study, since they don't usually expect you to remember quite as much minutae for a comprehensive exam.

A good example is the IHI final which is cumulative. Most people use the red BRS Pathology book to study for it. I did and made an A on just using that.
Comp. exams at the end of MS II are especially helpful as studying for those essentially means that you've studied that subject for Step I.

I would agree that cumulative second year classes are worthwhile, since you have to know everything you just studied for the boards ~1 month later, but a comp. HB? Dumb. Is HB type stuff on the boards? I imagine it must be or why else would they waste a whole year of our time... Thanks for the clarification on how HB is comprehensive. That makes me happier... that and getting sleep. Didn't make it to class today b/c I would have gone w/only 4 hours of sleep, which would have meant coming home and napping until 5 then getting maybe an hour or two of studying done before getting ready to go out. Not constructive time management. So I slept. I guess I have to get out of this sleep cycle for the next 2 weeks though. I feel reviews are the most useful things to go to b/c (if they do it properly) you can get all the high yield info they want you to know and can sorta see what details you can skip over.

I realized that despite how behind I feel I am right now, I actually am a lot more caught up than I was last TB. This TB, I will have already looked at all the information at least once before TB prep week (if we don't count this weekend as part of it). I have even reviewed anatomy bits and pieces at a time already. So... maybe I'm not as screwed up as I think I am.

HB stuff actually makes up a good portion of the boards.

This is the list that I've seen a few times.
1. Path
2. Phys
3. Pharm
4. Micro
5. Biochem
6. Psych/Neuro
7. Anatomy

So its not super important, but more so than Anatomy, which from what I have heard pretty consistently is the least tested.

You can schedule sessions with Harvey in the simlab. Can, don't have to...

Does anyone know if Wed.'s clinical correlation is going to be on the exam? It says that it's an embryo c.c. but they're talking about anatomy...

You didn't meet Harvey when you interviewed or toured?!?!? He's in the simlab on the 2nd floor where the stairs everyone took to get down to anatomy lab are. That's where the patient simulator is too, that they tout so much during tours, but I think gets used more by gas residents than students. We might do some stuff in there during clinical years.

Good hear because I'm already worrying about the IHI final. :scared:

So are you still going to do anesthesiology, or are you thinking about something else?

:( There is one person in there who probably has easily palpable kidneys through the abdomen. Seems rather inappropriate. I'm sure that the doc was a perfect picture of fitness...

She was an elderly lady who was actually super thin. She was talking about looking at the jugular vein and mentioned that there were no thin people in our group. Then she exempted one person from that claim and gave a maybe to another person. After that, she started talking about obesity and how common it is, which made me feel like a freaking whale. Overall nice, and I'm sure it was an innocent comment, but it didn't exactly make my day.

Mine was awesome. It was actually pretty helpful as far as PCM sessions go. Friendly pimping, war stories, tips, etc. Plus, she didn't tell us we were all fat. I do wish it was earlier, though, so I didn't have to fight as much of a crowd at "walkaround"...

She was an elderly lady who was actually super thin. She was talking about looking at the jugular vein and mentioned that there were no thin people in our group. Then she exempted one person from that claim and gave a maybe to another person. After that, she started talking about obesity and how common it is, which made me feel like a freaking whale. Overall nice, and I'm sure it was an innocent comment, but it didn't exactly make my day.

Nice. I think she forgot to learn tact while in her PCM class.

In our diabetes thing yesterday, I thought it was a little ackward having us "guess" which patient had type 1 vs type 2 when it was this cute little skinny girl and this fat little boy. Duh... Not sure how comfortable I feel ragging on obseity in front of a kid who's overweight. I mean, obviously he needs to understand that his weight is a big part of his problem, but calling him obsese (sp?) in front of 180 people is a little harsh. I don't think I could have handled that at 12. Hell, I couldn't handle that now.

Anyways.... let the anatomy weekend begin! I haven't looked at anatomy since last saturday so I'm sooo off on it. Time to learn some head and neck! :thumbdown:

OSU Homecoming. I actually thought about going but didn't -- it would have been a really hard sell to the spouse. I remember thinking it was about the most fun thing ever when I was a little kid.

And it's not just legend, two frat boys did indeed die back in the '70s in an electrical accident while building their walkaround display. That fraternity house is supposedly haunted. :scared:

Those pediatric biochem CCs tend to have their share of awkward moments. Last year, we had a girl ask this little kid with muscular dystrophy what it felt like to be different.

Those pediatric biochem CCs tend to have their share of awkward moments. Last year, we had a girl ask this little kid with muscular dystrophy what it felt like to be different.

One of our classmates this year hit on our CF patient (in her early 20's, not a kid). It was pretty darn funny but a wee bit awkward.

So a few hours later, and I've gotten through 2 anatomy lectures. Great.

One of our classmates this year hit on our CF patient (in her early 20's, not a kid). It was pretty darn funny but a wee bit awkward.

What was worse was that she was married, and we actively talked about she and her husband trying to have kids, and then the guy hit on her. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.