University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So who were you pulling for given your history with both teams? Based on the final score, it looks like it must have been a good game.

The last time OSU hosted K-State for Homecoming (99), they put up 21 unaswered in the first quarter only to lose 41-21. Despite being OSU's homecoming, the lots around the stadium were covered in purple that day. The Wildcat-faithful travels as well as any fanbase in the country since many are retirees who rarely saw them win a game in the pre-Snyder era. It certainly helps for bowls. I'd like to see a couple of the teams in the north get back on track.

I heard on the radio that OSU was 1-10 vs. K-State over the past 17 years coming in. Now I think the Cowboys have snatched 2 of the last 3.

The Sooners, on the other hand, didn't look so hot today.

I told The Mrs. I was gonna sport the purple to the walkaround; she didn't think that was funny. I said, "What? I went to K-State LONG before I ever went to OSU." I was just funnin', I gotta go Orange on that one. OSU went ahead with a field goal with :06 to play...

I pull for 'em until they play a state team, which is a new development. Until this year, my distaste for all things crimson and cream precluded me from wanting anything but blowout losses to everyone but UT (you gotta have some standards) Now that some of my tuition money has likely filtered down to buy some players' gas or helped put a fancy roof over his momma's head, I feel somewhat vested. I can actually bring myself to cringe when Bradford blows pass after pass to wide freaking open receivers. Until Bedlam, when I hope OSU saves them from sure embarrassment at the hands of LSU in the big dance. Again.

Members don't see this ad.

Who would be a good person to help me go over anatomy stuff in the gross lab? Although I can name things in the books (yes, even Rohen), I have trouble finding things on our specimens. I've talked to O'Don, but all he has to suggest is reading Moore's... done. still can't find what I need to. sigh...

Who would be a good person to help me go over anatomy stuff in the gross lab? Although I can name things in the books (yes, even Rohen), I have trouble finding things on our specimens. I've talked to O'Don, but all he has to suggest is reading Moore's... done. still can't find what I need to. sigh...

Hmm, reading Moore seems like worthless advice for someone struggling with the practical part of the course. Have you tried watching Chung's videos. Doing that several times really did help me. Also, see if you have any friends who would be willing to go to the lab with you and try to find structures together. If you're really having trouble with identifying stuff, that's the only way to do it.

Oh yeah, University of Michigan supposedly has good videos online that are available to everyone. That might be worth checking out, too. I'd watch the video and then try to go into lab and find what you saw in the video.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Bagel! I've been a lurker and not posted, but I am getting quite desperate and NEED help badly. I appreciate your suggestions. Unfortunately, although I feel I have great appeal... :banana:, I'm not being very successful at making friends. I am considering hiring some. That must be what my mom did for me before I moved away...
wish me luck! :luck:

Chung's videos

Thanks Bagel! I've been a lurker and not posted, but I am getting quite desperate and NEED help badly. I appreciate your suggestions. Unfortunately, although I feel I have great appeal... :banana:, I'm not being very successful at making friends. I am considering hiring some. That must be what my mom did for me before I moved away...
wish me luck! :luck:

I am kinda planning on going down to lab after classes on Tuesday. I am hoping by that point that I will have a greater concept of written and practical anatomy. Shortitalian and Odon helped me with learning stuff today a great deal, but it is already slipping. So if you don't have to go to your rotation tuesday - I can meet ya. Shoot me a pm or an email if you'd like. I can't say I'm the best source for help, but I can try.

Until then - apparently you should watch Chung's videos. I think I will do that, too, before Tuesday.

Chung's videos are actually sorta amusing. I'm tempted to watch one just for nostalgia. I love Dr. Chung. He was the bestest anatomy instructor ever. :love:

Watch Chung's videos. The first time watch it at 1x speed, increase to 1.4x, then to 2x. Repeat at 2x or 1.4x as many times as necessary. Be able to pick out things in the background that Chung hasn't gotten to yet and be able to name the structure that he has picked up before he does.

So to answer an earlier question about the school dental insurance. I signed up for the first week of school and just got my cards on Saturday. Efficiency! :rolleyes:

The good news is that there were 40 providers within 5 miles of my house, and I had no trouble making an appointment.

So does IMPS start at 12:30 or 1 tomorrow? The assignment thing says 1, but the calender says something about IMPS Set Up at 12:30. :confused:

starts at 1. the setup is for staff and they schedule that time so there isnt a lunch meeting in there while they are trying to setup. i have never figured out why they put it on our calendar.

starts at 1. the setup is for staff and they schedule that time so there isnt a lunch meeting in there while they are trying to setup. i have never figured out why they put it on our calendar.

That's what I wanted to hear. Thanks! The calendar hasn't been so trustworthy this year.

Watching dissection videos = useful.

But...

It is making me sleepy! I still haven't decided whether actually getting up at 6am to make it for biochem review and HB sex talk is worth it. Why must they make everything so freaking early??? :thumbdown:

I would hate to have the only thing I did tonight be getting through one round of watching Odon's dissection videos. Haven't made it to Chungs yet and I'm already tired and 6am comes awfully early...

Members don't see this ad :)
O'Don's dissection videos are way too slow on my computer. :cry: I'm using windows media player 11 too and I have DSL. Sad...

Dr. Tucker (who looks like Prof. McGonagall from the HP books IMO) said that there would be EC tomorrow in class. :cry: (My new favorite smiley)

Dr. Tucker (who looks like Prof. McGonagall from the HP books IMO) said that there would be EC tomorrow in class. :cry: (My new favorite smiley)

:laugh: Well crap. I just decided not to go to class (since I'm up at 2:15am). Ugh... I guess I will just blow off the biochem review and come to HB. I (sadly) could use an extra credit point. I actually need to do well on the upcoming HB exam so I can not be one of the 10 people in our class who don't get an A. Besides, if she looks like McGonagall... that will be fun!....

Does it irritate anyone else when the videos are narrorated (sp?) by some kid instead of Odon or Chung? I mean... really.... he goes at a snail's pace to orient himself and then races through the bs that is confusing. :thumbdown:

Anatomy pretest = not nearly as bad this time as last. I actually passed on the first shot! I think I may have even passed it w/o wiki / google / notes, if I had to (although it would have been close).

Grrrr... I was looking forward to a whole day lounging about the apartment. Thanks for the heads up, Queen! (despite my complaining)

The Chung videos weren't narrated by anyone else last year. Did they edit them, or is it only the non-Chung videos that have the narration? Anyway, my husband and I got so used to hearing Dr. Chung's voice from me watching the videos over and over. I love the way he says muscle, and if you'll notice he says "something like this" whenever he points to anything. :D

Boy, it's been a while. Miss you OKC MS3 people. How are you all doing MS2s? I see new faces of MS1s here as well. Any artists this year?

The years do truly fly by...before you know it, you'll be catching sleep in the surgery call room. Good luck on path MS2, and don't worry about USMLE Step 1, it's doable, pm me if you guys need advice on how to survive it.

Anyone coming up for Tulsa Day?!?!?!?!?!

- Siam

family_guy_average_retarded_creationist.png

The Chung videos weren't narrated by anyone else last year. Did they edit them, or is it only the non-Chung videos that have the narration? Anyway, my husband and I got so used to hearing Dr. Chung's voice from me watching the videos over and over. I love the way he says muscle, and if you'll notice he says "something like this" whenever he points to anything. :D

A few of them were narrated by other folks last year. To clarify, none of the "Chung videos" are narrated by someone else; if you see The Magical Golden Probe of Tissue-teasing Wonderment™, rest assured, The Man speaketh. I still think of anatomical terms in Chung's voice...although I try not to do much thinking about anatomical terms...

Ice, I've been using CMMRS this block. I put in some stuff that was in the syllabus but missing from it, in pencil so I can erase it all when class is over and I study for step. Some of the pictures are kinda fruity, but if it helps, ?. Pfft, like YOU need a book for micro...

I'm told that the class calendar is just the one that they maintain in Room 100 for the lecture halls that is then modified by the course directors (really their staff) for the extra stuff. Last year, 2009 had the dental students' histology final on their calendar.

dont forget that IHI TBSA is at 9 on thursday and not the 1 that is on the shedule.

I think that's the doctor who gave the guest lecture on spina bifida.

Really? Cuz he sounds like he's 12.

Odon has a much more pleasant voice to listen to, and Chung just sounds like he is THE authority on all things anatomy so I feel pretty comfortable listening to either of them. But not so much the kid.

Speaking of Odon... I'm losing the crush bit by bit because he is sooo condescending. He has directed it my way a few times now, and I don't particularly handle the negativity well. Sadness... that made anatomy a lot more interesting.

So instead of getting up at 8:30 so I could make it for HB extra credit... I slept til 2:30pm. :thumbup: Oh, well. At least now I feel so guilty about sleeping all day that I will probably be up til 4am studying.

Bought my Halloween costume today. I am really frustrated that I probably won't be able to go out H-ween night b/c of TB. It is my 2nd favorite holiday and I will be stuck cramming for HB :mad:. Grrr... I'm actually going to give HB more than one full night of studying this time around. I didn't even make it through all of the notes last time.

Speaking of Odon... I'm losing the crush bit by bit because he is sooo condescending. He has directed it my way a few times now, and I don't particularly handle the negativity well. Sadness... that made anatomy a lot more interesting.

Oh well, it had to happen before long. So is he married? Just wondering since he seems to flirt with lots of students. I admit I'm a bit uptight (and old) so the flirting strikes me as pretty troublesome.

I admit I'm a bit uptight (and old) so the flirting strikes me as pretty troublesome.

prude. what's the point of teaching if you can't flirt with students?

Oh well, it had to happen before long. So is he married? Just wondering since he seems to flirt with lots of students. I admit I'm a bit uptight (and old) so the flirting strikes me as pretty troublesome.

Yes, he is married. My mom has run into his wife a couple times where his wife works.

Just dropping in to say "third year is way better than first or second year, so ha ha ha."

That is all.

Just dropping in to say "third year is way better than first or second year, so ha ha ha."

That is all.

We'll laugh at you when you hit the last 16 weeks of your 3rd year... surgery followed by medicine? Aren't those the roughest ones? So... laugh it up while you're on your easy rotations.

Its funny, I don't think I've noticed Odon flirting with students, at least not inappropriately so. Although I'm with glp - what's the point of being older and an authority figure to many young girls when you can't take advantage of it? :smuggrin: I imagine it would be unwise to tell Odon to quit being an ass. That's the other bonus for being in a position of power - you can be an ass and no one can really tell you to cut it out. Whatever... it just makes Odon more house-like.

So.... I imagine it is a bad thing that I already feel like saying F*** it to studying. I am having a hard time switching from low to high study-gear.

So.... I imagine it is a bad thing that I already feel like saying F*** it to studying. I am having a hard time switching from low to high study-gear.

This whole day (except my stupid PCM rotation in Guthrie... TOTAL WASTE OF TIME) has gone like this:

Study for 5-10 minutes
Check Facebook
Check SDN
Study for 5-10 minutes
Check SDN
Check email
Study for 5-10 minutes
Check email
Check SDN
Check Facebook
Check email again in case I got one while checking SDN or Facebook
Repeat

Although I bet we find out on Thurs., did anyone get the impression from IMPS that the clinical pulmonary stuff isn't going to be, oh for lack of something more original, high-yield? Holliman writes q's for the whole thing, right? Just trying to figure out that dynamic. Maybe q's from there will in fact be "concepts, not the trivial minutia..."

Wax, you gotta let condescension just roll off. I would stake my life on the fact that a. O'Don will not be the LAST condescending , nor b. the MOST condescending person holding your future in their mean little hands. Just kow-tow, furiously thank them for allowing you to be in their almighty presence, and then tell yourself not to be that way. Until your third year, when you can brag about how clinicals rock and how puny basic science students are...:cool:

AG, how early in the lotto did you go to pick your rotations? Curious if you wanted it that way or not.

This whole day (except my stupid PCM rotation in Guthrie... TOTAL WASTE OF TIME) has gone like this:

Study for 5-10 minutes
Check Facebook
Check SDN
Study for 5-10 minutes
Check SDN
Check email
Study for 5-10 minutes
Check email
Check SDN
Check Facebook
Repeat

Gunner.

;)

I agree that O'Don has come off as condescending, particularly in embryo ("Isn't this easy?"). But we're all here to learn ultimately and I think that he's a pretty good instructor.

Why are there so many quizzes for biochem? Why? Why? Why? I just finished a 120 question one about carbohydrates, and some of the questions (about sialic acid) weren't even relevant to what we're studying. :beat::beat::beat:

AG, how early in the lotto did you go to pick your rotations? Curious if you wanted it that way or not.

Yeah, he does have the unusual schedule, doesn't he? I believe he had one of the last numbers, but I don't know for sure.

Glad to hear 3rd year doesn't suck horribly. SDN makes it sound pretty damn miserable.

Yep, prude here. :) Old guys flirting with young girls just gives me the heebie jeebies. Plus, my dad was a professor, and I hope he didn't hit on any girls. :eek:

I think that SDN makes it sound horrible because there are alot of unsocial people on the board (myself included). That probably is detrimental to those people. I'm not completely antisocial, but I have my quirks. Hopefully I can hide them next year and not look like a complete idiot/suckup/loser or some combination of other bad attributes.

Study for 5-10 minutes
Check Facebook
Check SDN
Study for 5-10 minutes
Check SDN
Check email
Study for 5-10 minutes
Check email
Check SDN
Check Facebook
Repeat

:lol:

I agree that O'Don has come off as condescending, particularly in embryo ("Isn't this easy?"). But we're all here to learn ultimately and I think that he's a pretty good instructor.

Not knocking his teaching - he still has managed to generally keep me awake during most of his lectures. His quality sense of humor and condescending attitude work well for lecture, it just has been rubbing the wrong way in person. He probably doesn't mean it, but you never know when someone is using sarcasm as a method to say what they really mean - I've done it more than once myself.

Wax, you gotta let condescension just roll off. I would stake my life on the fact that a. O'Don will not be the LAST condescending , nor b. the MOST condescending person holding your future in their mean little hands. Just kow-tow, furiously thank them for allowing you to be in their almighty presence, and then tell yourself not to be that way.

Agreed. Just more sensitive when I actually admire the condescender; not so if I think they are F.O.S.

Old guys flirting with young girls just gives me the heebie jeebies. Plus, my dad was a professor, and I hope he didn't hit on any girls. :eek:

Hmm good point - my dad's a prof, too, and I imagine I would be highly disturbed by him hitting on people the same age as his daughter. Yuck.

Hmmm shortitalian - you and I seem to be doing the exact samet thing! :p I would say Queen is the gunner here - she just took a 130 question quiz! Doing anatomy qbank is in my plans for tonight, after I meander through HB notegroups for a while. Why does school have to suck so bad sometimes?

I don't know why I remember some things better than others...

Holy mother of SDN historians! I remember that now, but I wouldn't have been able to find it. Incidently, so that's prolly close to a third of 2009 that went to T-Town?

Holy mother of SDN historians! I remember that now, but I wouldn't have been able to find it. Incidently, so that's prolly close to a third of 2009 that went to T-Town?

Tulsa is awesome if you like a smaller city setting with gorgeous parks, fall foliage, trees, rivers, shopping areas, wine bars, beer "pubs", coffee shops, arts, music, disc golf, culture, 100s of restaurants within a 3 miles radius, and not getting on highways to go to places. Think of Tulsa as a VERY BIG yet Congested Nichols Hills. It's smaller than OKC (landwise) but feels more like a small city in the northeast. We also have an ER program here! I invite you all to come experience the student run Bedlam Clinic, which runs like an ER. Want an adreneline rush? We see mainly acutes at bedlams, Malignant HTN, Appedicitis, COPD, Renal, HIVs, Hep C, Derms, OB/Gyn, Uro, Knife wounds, Prancreatitis, Cancer mets, you name it... They are very sick and uninsured....you're all they got...... We have suturing kits, emergency drugs and equipments donated from the local hospitals. We, the medical students, are the doctors calling the shots and management, labs, referrals. etccccc.... Thank god for 4 dollars walmart Rx list. Anyhow..

OKC is better for Research, Downtown living, BBQ, Dance Clubs, Flat land, Driving on highways, and Rodeos. Seriously though, if you want to match into Plastics, Rad Onc or ENT, stay and do research in OKC since your best shot is getting to know the program at your home school. But also remember that you will mostly travel and do away rotations during your 4th year. You can also do your specialty rotations in OKC during your 3rd year if you're in Tulsa... so the main differences comes down to

1) Core rotations during 3rd year
2) "Student Run" Bedlam Clinic (a secret...more vacation time in 4th year if you complete 30 Bedlam sessions)
3) Community (Tulsa) vs. Academics (OKC)
4) OU's ER program/research is in Tulsa.
5) More specialties at OKC (but remember you can always travel down to OKC for specialty rotations!)
6) A 4 year MD/MPH and stand-alone 4 year MD program are coming soon...
7) Not just a face or number in the crowd at Tulsa.
8) More 1 on 1 with attendings rather than residents on core rotations at Tulsa since we have a smaller number of residents here.
9) Living styles. Spread out larger city (OKC) vs. Smaller greener jazzier city (Tulsa).
10) Dean Clancy.

So I invite you guys to come to Tulsa and experience it for yourself on Tulsa Day! I can probably house 2-3 of you.

I'm one of the few out of state students from New York..fell in love with Tulsa and will not mind settling down here.

Class of 2009 Tulsa - 43 students! largest yet in OUCOM history!

So it occurred to me as I was getting ready that I have no actual need to go to school today. If Odon was giving our review, I'd probably still go ahead and go, but Chung as a lecturer drives me nuts. Since there are no points for attending any of today's events, I shall remain here in my comfy, cozy little apartment and I think I will finally watch Dandajena's lecture that I missed last week. I also think today is the day to finally finish reading the biochem syllabus so I can actually study biochem. By study, I mean begin the memorization-fest.

Just signed up for Tulsa day. I put Medicine as my first choice to shadow. I'm excited!

Speaking of Tulsa, any thoughts on looking for a rental? Way early, I know. I've been checking out craigslist, but that's it.

Yeah, trying to do the massive memorization thing for MMI but am still so unmotivated.

Just signed up for Tulsa day. I put Medicine as my first choice to shadow. I'm excited!

Speaking of Tulsa, any thoughts on looking for a rental? Way early, I know. I've been checking out craigslist, but that's it.

Yeah, trying to do the massive memorization thing for MMI but am still so unmotivated.

craiglist is ok but I advise you to drive up and look for rental houses Dr. Bagel! I would drive up in the spring just to explore the areas a little bit, you'll see signs in the yards for house rentals in different areas. They are gorgeous houses by the way. Timing wise:

1) Drive up before seriously studying for Step 1 in May and put down rental payment at that Time and move after Step 1 in June.
2) Rent in April, move right after finals. Study and take step 1 in Tulsa. (looking back, I should have done this...)
3) Find a rental after step 1 in June and move at that time (will be hectic and little vacation before the start of your 3rd year)

As for rentals, best sources:

1) Taking over 4th year Tulsa Students rentals
2) Driving around gorgeous communities and finding a rare gem (I'm glad I did it)
3) Craglist and Rental Magazine

So it occurred to me as I was getting ready that I have no actual need to go to school today. If Odon was giving our review, I'd probably still go ahead and go, but Chung as a lecturer drives me nuts. Since there are no points for attending any of today's events, I shall remain here in my comfy, cozy little apartment and I think I will finally watch Dandajena's lecture that I missed last week. I also think today is the day to finally finish reading the biochem syllabus so I can actually study biochem. By study, I mean begin the memorization-fest.

I should've stayed at home today. *sigh*

I have some fabulous biochem reviews that were given to me by a mod-mate. If you would like them, PM me. :D

I assume you mean emergency medicine. Does OKC have an EM clerkship?

Third year elective, and I believe a peds EM choice for 4th. I'm curious to find out if rotating at Tulsa, if one were so inclined, will technically count as an away since you don't get an unlimited number of those.

Random IHI: Is the diatribe in the left column of pg. 4 of the first lung section just trying to say it takes more pressure to fit the same amount of air into a smaller vessel? Sometimes I wish Samuel L. Jackson would barge in on syllabus writers, whip out his revolver, and break out the "ENGLISH, MUTHA****A!! DO YOU SPEAK IT!?!?!"

Sometimes I wish Samuel L. Jackson would barge in on syllabus writers, whip out his revolver, and break out the "ENGLISH, MUTHA****A!! DO YOU SPEAK IT!?!?!"

That's a great image! :)

You know, the more classes I don't attend, the more I don't want to go to class. I find myself increasingly irritable about the mere notion of going to class. I am doing notes for 30 mins of tomorrow's embryo, and I have decided that I will do it from home b/c I just can't stand the idea of getting up and going to school for a half hour. What a waste of time.

I will get through the biochem syllabus today, by George. It will happen. Then I will drink myself stupid in celebration... no wait, I will just get to study something else instead! :rolleyes:

And can I share that I hate MMI. It just seems like endless memorization of pointless little details. :thumbdown:

im starting to like MMI and by like i mean hate and by starting i mean ever since i opened the syllabus.

I'm thrilled that tomorrow's HB review has been cancelled in favor of "self-study" time. That means I'm not going to the embryo review either. :corny:

Status
Not open for further replies.