University of Oklahoma -- everyone welcome -- Part 3

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks for the info! i enjoy reading ya'll's comments...kind of gives me a glimpse of what life is like "on the other side"...:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

Oh yeah, about scholarship money -- Dean Andrews said at the scholarship luncheon that everybody who applied for scholarships got something. They do give bigger scholarships without applying to incoming students, and those are determined after your interview and awarded with your acceptance letter. However, they also give out grants/scholarships in the late spring/early summer based on the scholarship applications. The application is very short and asks about stuff like your financial need, plans about working with underserved populations, etc.. So apply! And no, I don't think blowing anybody's required. ;)

It's a long way off, but I'll try to remember to post the application here when it comes around.

Oh yeah, about scholarship money -- Dean Andrews said at the scholarship luncheon that everybody who applied for scholarships got something. They do give bigger scholarships without applying to incoming students, and those are determined after your interview and awarded with your acceptance letter. However, they also give out grants/scholarships in the late spring/early summer based on the scholarship applications. The application is very short and asks about stuff like your financial need, plans about working with underserved populations, etc.. So apply! And no, I don't think blowing anybody's required. ;)

It's a long way off, but I'll try to remember to post the application here when it comes around.

I prolly self-selected out of any money I could've received. Which is dumb. But then, I'm not exactly setting the curve. Now my smart-person disguise has been blown, I'm doomed...

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah, about scholarship money -- Dean Andrews said at the scholarship luncheon that everybody who applied for scholarships got something.

I'd like to raise the big BS flag there. I applied for scholarships and didn't get anything. Not calling Dean Andrews a liar, but he was obviously misinformed.

I'd like to raise the big BS flag there. I applied for scholarships and didn't get anything. Not calling Dean Andrews a liar, but he was obviously misinformed.

Darn. Hmm, maybe it's almost everyone. You're going to have quite a sob story to write them for this next year about why you need money, so I suspect you'll get something then. Also, the thing is that they give out lots of scholarships, but most aren't worth very much money. It's not like you're missing the boat on getting a full-ride.

Wait until 4th year when they know they have you. Even less people get scholarship money then.

I knew people in the 1st quartile who were denied scholarships after having them for 3 years.

Wait until 4th year when they know they have you. Even less people get scholarship money then.

I knew people in the 1st quartile who were denied scholarships after having them for 3 years.

Argh. Makes sense, though. I know I certainly got less money this year than I did the year before in spite of a pretty decent 1st year performance. It's pretty clear they definitely reserve most of the dough for incoming students.

thanks for the info! i enjoy reading ya'll's comments...kind of gives me a glimpse of what life is like "on the other side"...:rolleyes:

How's this for a taste of life on the other side?

I've been awake since three AM, just got back from the hospital, need to find something for dinner, read all I can about laparoscopic cholecystectomy, so I don't look like an idiot in surgery tomorrow, sleep for at least a few hours, and then wake up at 2:30 to 3:00 AM, so I can get to the hospital, round on all my patients, and be ready for rounds with the residents at 5:30 AM. Surgery is cool in an "I can't believe people actually get to do this" kind of way, but damn... the hours suck big time.

(Apologies to my wife and anyone else that might read this. I know that sentence was way to long. Please refer to the first part about being up since 3.)

I've been awake since three AM, just got back from the hospital, need to find something for dinner, read all I can about laparoscopic cholecystectomy, so I don't look like an idiot in surgery tomorrow, sleep for at least a few hours, and then wake up at 2:30 to 3:00 AM, so I can get to the hospital, round on all my patients, and be ready for rounds with the residents at 5:30 AM. Surgery is cool in an "I can't believe people actually get to do this" kind of way, but damn... the hours suck big time.

(Apologies to my wife and anyone else that might read this. I know that sentence was way to long. Please refer to the first part about being up since 3.)

So now you have me dreading my surgery rotation next year. :scared:

I've wondered about this since I started hanging around here; are there any provisions for you? I thought about it when I was in anatomy lab, but then even more when I thought about being on surgery.

I've wondered about this since I started hanging around here; are there any provisions for you? I thought about it when I was in anatomy lab, but then even more when I thought about being on surgery.

Not a lot, but I manage okay. I can stand for 1-2 hours without too much trouble, but I'm pretty fatigued after that. I actually scrubbed in for a BKA yesterday that was pretty cool. I scrubbed then had someone push me into the operating room. From there someone handed me the gown, which I half put on and then draped over my wheels (sterile side up). From there I pushed down on the wheels with my still concealed hands to stand up. I got tied off in the back and then the scrub nurse helped me put on gloves (which is honestly the worst part with my crappy manual dexterity). While I won't be tying off sutures or doing anything delicate, I was able to assist pretty well in the form of handing things off and holding the guy's leg. From an educational responsibility standpoint, we're not required to be developing or learning any technical skills as far as surgical technique goes, so really it's all about just being there and understanding what goes on in the perioperative environment. That way we can better take care of the patients after their surgeries. For example, this guy needs this operation now, but he's on a daily regimen of ASA. How will that impact our precautions and awareness in the OR? Post-op his hemoglobin is now 6, why is that and how do we now manage it?

The actual operations are only part of the picture.

Does anyone happen to know where I can find the stats from the now MS1's (2007 app cycle)???

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone happen to know where I can find the stats from the now MS1's (2007 app cycle)???

If, on the other hand, you wanna know MCAT/GPA stuff, I'll defer to the 2011er's. The dean told us what our class averages were at orientation, but I don't know as they officially post them outside of MSAR and USN/WR.

I don't remember if they told us during orientation what the averages were for us or not.

Anyone?...anyone?

Beuller?...Beuller? (I've always wanted to do that :laugh:).

I don't remember if they told us during orientation what the averages were for us or not.

Anyone?...anyone?

With us, Dr. Hall told us during her speech on the first day where she gave a general overview of our class. I think they've been going up each year but probably not by a ton. I would guess average would be around a 29 and 3.6.

Have you guys ever seen Better Off Dead where they have the reverse classroom scene where everybody is really excited about answering questions?

With us, Dr. Hall told us during her speech on the first day where she gave a general overview of our class. I think they've been going up each year but probably not by a ton. I would guess average would be around a 29 and 3.6.

Have you guys ever seen Better Off Dead where they have the reverse classroom scene where everybody is really excited about answering questions?

Is that the one where the freaky kid on the bike follows the John Cusack around asking for two quarters?

I think the quizzes for PCM got axed this year. It may not be reflected in the syllabus, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned it early.

I think the quizzes for PCM got axed this year. It may not be reflected in the syllabus, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned it early.

Yeah, I think this is right. There's one part of the syllabus that mentions quizzes, but I think it's a mistake. I also heard from a 2009 person that the first PCM test is pretty easy, which is good news for me because I haven't gone to class or studied at all for it.

Anyone?...anyone?

They did tell us. I think the average MCAT was 9.6 and average overall GPA was ~3.65 or somewhere in that area.

I also did not get any scholarship. I was expecting something, and I got a "no scholarship for you" letter. I was sad.

Randomness...
Have I mentioned I have a crush on Odon?

Almost every girl in the class thinks he's dreamy (for whatever reason). I have a feeling that may change after the first test. Isn't that attitude attributed to something we learend in HB?

Isn't that attitude attributed to something we learend in HB?

What's HB???? :laugh:

Well, I guess I shouldn't blow off those TBLs for biochem in the future. I didn't do as well as I would have liked on that this morning.

Plus I had to explain the answer for our group and didn't know the all the right vocabulary to describe paternal reduction of the triplet repeats (yeah that was me and I still can't explain it well). Dr. B was like: "What is he talking about?"

But, I'd rather be right and have a hard time explaining it, than be wrong and speak eloquently about how wrong I was.

Well, back to Rohens....you all realize we have a test in 2 weeks right? :eek::scared:

At least in your class it's all the girls. In ours there's plenty of guys all up on his scrot.

I find him curiously arousing myself, but only in that entirely platonic, "Holy **** can that guy drink a lot of iced tea" sort of way.

He drinks Lipton. One day I asked him, don't know why...

What's HB???? :laugh:

Well, I guess I shouldn't blow off those TBLs for biochem in the future. I didn't do as well as I would have liked on that this morning.

Plus I had to explain the answer for our group and didn't know the all the right vocabulary to describe paternal reduction of the triplet repeats (yeah that was me and I still can't explain it well). Dr. B was like: "What is he talking about?"

But, I'd rather be right and have a hard time explaining it, than be wrong and speak eloquently about how wrong I was.

Well, back to Rohens....you all realize we have a test in 2 weeks right? :eek::scared:

Is it not next week?

Is it not next week?

Those 2011 peeps don't have it until the week after us! :mad: My day of studying MMI and pharm has convinced me that I could use another week. But then, I'm glad I don't have to take an anatomy test.

So always lipton? I wonder if he uses the powder stuff or if he makes it from a tea bag. My mom's a hard core iced tea drinker (she's from Texas), and the powder stuff is just not acceptable to her.

Those 2011 peeps don't have it until the week after us! :mad: My day of studying MMI and pharm has convinced me that I could use another week. But then, I'm glad I don't have to take an anatomy test.

So always lipton? I wonder if he uses the powder stuff or makes it from a tea bag. My mom's a hard core iced tea drinker (she's from Texas), and the powder stuff is just not acceptable to her.

heh, tea bags...

I tried to get caught up in MMI today, after realizing that I'm falling victim to the whole don't use too many sources for IHI and getting bogged down. But tonight I've been doing that HB thing where you do something productive but not important, cleaning out my garage to make room for some new vehicles and parts of old ones...

Well hell, I thought you guys had TB1 before us; I was all thinking the first EMIG meeting was going to be a flop since you guys would be in test mode next week. Right on...

heh, tea bags...

I tried to get caught up in MMI today, after realizing that I'm falling victim to the whole don't use too many sources for IHI and getting bogged down. But tonight I've been doing that HB thing where you do something productive but not important, cleaning out my garage to make room for some new vehicles and parts of old ones...

Well hell, I thought you guys had TB1 before us; I was all thinking the first EMIG meeting was going to be a flop since you guys would be in test mode next week. Right on...

speaking of sources for IHI, what should we be using besides the syllabus????? i have several books i bought, but i havent cracked any of them.

I think I should have been studying IHI a little better. I hope a week is enough time to fix that.

speaking of sources for IHI, what should we be using besides the syllabus????? i have several books i bought, but i havent cracked any of them.

I've heard BRS is good. Some other 2009 people have recommended the big Robbins and Goljan's RR Path. Loser that I am I bought all 3. Robbins is dense, so I think it's going to be a little too time-consuming to use. BRS seems good but light, and Goljan is light but a little more detailed than BRS. I think if I just got one, I might go with Goljan. It seems like some users here just used the syllabus and BRS with lots of success, though.

As you go tell, I'm with Freeze in getting overloaded on sources. :oops:

I've heard BRS is good. Some other 2009 people have recommended the big Robbins and Goljan's RR Path. Loser that I am I bought all 3. Robbins is dense, so I think it's going to be a little too time-consuming to use. BRS seems good but light, and Goljan is light but a little more detailed than BRS. I think if I just got one, I might go with Goljan. It seems like some users here just used the syllabus and BRS with lots of success, though.

As you go tell, I'm with Freeze in getting overloaded on sources. :oops:

i actually have big robbins, goljan, and brs, along with kaufman pathophys and the robbins soft cover review book (both were given to me). its just with all that stuff, i dont even know where to start. i get the feeling that big robbins will turn out exactly like the unopened copy of moore i have from anatomy.

i actually have big robbins, goljan, and brs, along with kaufman pathophys and the robbins soft cover review book (both were given to me). its just with all that stuff, i dont even know where to start. i get the feeling that big robbins will turn out exactly like the unopened copy of moore i have from anatomy.

Ok, I take back ME being overloaded! :D

No, I've got the Big'Un, the Qbook, and RR Path. If you haven't already opened the Monster, if I was an English teacher I'd be turning somebody in for plagiarism. Some of it is REALLY close to the syllabus.

What I STARTED with: reading syllabus, listening to lecture w/syllabus, read again. Read Robbin's, do review book Q's, read RR path. Give webpath a shot.

Revised method: Same for school part, read RR path, do qbook, read Robbin's for what I bombed. This is pretty much the same as just starting with Robbin's.

Today's further revised epiphany: Add another run through the syllabus, look at the pretty pictures in Robbin's, go back through the powerpoints to see if I missed anything, put RR path on shelf until TB 5, stare at qbook and pray I'm not asked anything similar. Oh ****!! I've got 3 other classes!!

In all seriousness, I like the whole textbook thing when the syllabi have their occasional readability issues, so I think I'll continue to use Robbin's. What I think I will do however is follow the headings as they appear in the syllabus (most of them are verbatim, just out of order). I don't doubt that someone could make an A with just the syllabus, but I'm somewhat skeptical that I am in fact one of those people. Especially with all the talk about needing to integrate information and not just memorize, etc...

Yeah, I think this is right. There's one part of the syllabus that mentions quizzes, but I think it's a mistake. I also heard from a 2009 person that the first PCM test is pretty easy, which is good news for me because I haven't gone to class or studied at all for it.

I had a perfect grade in PCM up until we got to the second exam. Unless he changes his questions, it should be pretty straightforward.

I think I should have been studying IHI a little better. I hope a week is enough time to fix that.

There's never enough time to fix it. Just keep studying and you won't get crushed. From my perspective, the first exam was the most difficult. I failed it, honestly, but managed to salvage a B in the class when it was all said and done. For the first exam I focused on syllabus. If you can truly recall and understand the material when doing the objectives or reviewing with someone instead of merely understanding it when you read it you should be fine. I fell victim to that trap. The syllabus would make sense when I would review it, but I couldn't independently recall concepts if prompted with just a portion of the information, so it really bit me in the ass on the exam. If I had to do it again, I have no doubt I could manage an A. ;)

So am I third behind him and your bf now? +pissed+

:rolleyes:{contemplates next avatar}

I'm not using anything for MMI except the syllabus. I think that it is almost as old as the biochem syllabus, but the sample q's are cake.

Pharm is puzzling. I am using the version of the syllabus that is chopped up into flashcards (thanks Bagel), but the Ceresa material looks like a cross between biochem and phys. Syllabus and BRS mesh well.

IHI, who knows. I have Goljan and BRS, but I am memorizing all of the FA stuff first before diving into that mess. The syllabus may be complete for the exam, but I just can't read it like neuro.

Just seems like another set of students with differing opinions as to what works with the bottom line being "study for 60 hours a week and you'll do fine." My biggest beef is the lead-in "to make an A..." What if I just want to pass, recognize the high yield step 1 concepts, and maybe learn some doctor-type stuff? How do I do that?

What's the deal with deleting all your posts? You're a perplexing person. ;)

----------------------

Damn you, surgery, for completely screwing my sleep/wake cycle! :bullcrap:

Must be some computer glitch. :confused: So is your parking space fair game now?

I think lfesiam picked Tulsa, was there another 2009er who chose T-Town? Just curious because I hear from a lot of the OKC crowd that Tulsa is "easier" or more cush. I know that the shelf exams are the same, but the biggest knock is that the training is better in OKC. I can't seem to find any evidence for this yet, especially given the better step 2 pass rate for the Tulsa students.

You can have my parking space if you're getting there before me. Surgery rounds start at 6... 5:30 on Fridays. ;)

On here, DMBFan61 is at Tulsa. I think the rest are here.

Almost every girl in the class thinks he's dreamy (for whatever reason). I have a feeling that may change after the first test. Isn't that attitude attributed to something we learend in HB?

:laugh: I didn't realize I was just like everyone else. I've only met one other girl who has openly admitted that she had a crush on him, too (we were both sad that he didn't come to the toga party). I heard some others ran into him in Bricktown during orientation and got to drink with him there. *Jealous*. Apparently Odon cycles. So I'm going to pick up cycling ;). J/k (maybe). I also don't go to HB so I'm missing the joke...

I don't think I've managed to sound like an idiot in front of Odon yet, although I'm sure I convinced O'Neil that I drew the short straw on smarts when he came over to our table on Wednesday. :rolleyes: Ventral rami carries what? Anterior cutaneous branch of what?? blah... I am so behind in anatomy right now. I really was banking on my prior knowledge, but I'm a wee bit lost on any second order information and I just flat don't get the nervous system stuff. At all. I've read over it a few times, so I'll give it a few more then I'll ask for help.

Boomer Sooner. OU is making me happy. At this point, I really like Bradford. He is better than Thompson and Bomar (I didn't like Bomar even before he got booted from the team). Thompson was tolerable, but Bradford is pretty steady and usually pretty on with his passes. Hooray for having a good QB again!!! :thumbup:

Hmm I was going to watch the Oregon vs Michigan game just so I could see Oregon get beat, but I'm not sure they will so I think I'm going to have to turn it off.

Boomer Sooner. OU is making me happy. At this point, I really like Bradford. He is better than Thompson and Bomar (I didn't like Bomar even before he got booted from the team). Thompson was tolerable, but Bradford is pretty steady and usually pretty on with his passes. Hooray for having a good QB again!!! :thumbup:

Hmm I was going to watch the Oregon vs Michigan game just so I could see Oregon get beat, but I'm not sure they will so I think I'm going to have to turn it off.

Just make sure the refs play nice.:D

Just make sure the refs play nice.:D

:smuggrin: Yep. On that thought, I probably shouldn't hold it against Oregon for that game. All they did was take the lousy calls that the refs made in their favor. What were they supposed to do, tell the ref it was a BS call? Yeah, right. :rolleyes: There was a f***ing commercial on during the game that should the sneaky move Boise State made on us last year for a Pontiac "game changing" move or some BS. I was like, hey thanks... not that it wasn't painful enough the first time. Pour some salt in the wound.

So - I've officially got three notegroups that I'll be doing for money (2 down, one next week). In theory, I've paid for my microsoft! In actuality, I spent $35 at the bar on Thursday :eek: so next week's notegroups is paying for that. I am also not going to bar tour next week b/c seriously... $35??? I'm MR. Although, I guess it balances with going to the Dougout the week before where ladies drink free... maybe.

There was a f***ing commercial on during the game that should the sneaky move Boise State made on us last year for a Pontiac "game changing" move or some BS. I was like, hey thanks... not that it wasn't painful enough the first time. Pour some salt in the wound.

My man and I watch EVERY OU football game, so yeah, I saw that commercial. I could live without ever seeing that again.

Yeah, not the Ducks fault. So are OU and U of O playing this year? If they are, I gotta say I'm rooting for the Ducks 'cause Oregon's the best state ever. I also want UT to beat OU, and I rooted against UT in every freaking game they had when I lived in Austin. I've just got a bad attitude, and of course I was raised to think the Sooners were the most evil team ever.

Eh, so I should be studying instead of thinking about my Sooner hatred.

On the studying topic, what's the deal with the IHI pictures on the exam? My understanding is that they'll be 10. Are they the specific pictures shown in class or are those pictures just representative of what we'll see? If so, do the pictures come from webpath or Robbins or somewhere totally random? Also, does some clinical vignette go along with the pictures or do we just get a picture and have to identify it?

My man and I watch EVERY OU football game, so yeah, I saw that commercial. I could live without ever seeing that again.

I am glad it pissed someone else off, too. I will never, ever buy a pontiac.

So are you going to be able to watch the game next week? It is on PPV only. Is anyone going to be able to watch it if they aren't going to Norman? Do the bars show the game if its on PPV? I'd really like to be able to watch it, but I am at a loss for how to do so.

My S.O. got a virus on his comp... he has spent the last 3 hours (off and on) trying to fix it. I am worried we will have to take it in somewhere and shell out a lot of dough. He had no anti-virus software on it and was downloading stuff from gaming sites... :thumbdown: I didn't think to use our free anti-virus software to put on his comp. too until after it was too late.

I am glad it pissed someone else off, too. I will never, ever buy a pontiac.

Unfortunately, we can't say the same. My husband is obsessed with the firebird. (He's one of those muscle car loving-barrett jackson watching kind of men).

So are you going to be able to watch the game next week? It is on PPV only. Is anyone going to be able to watch it if they aren't going to Norman? Do the bars show the game if its on PPV? I'd really like to be able to watch it, but I am at a loss for how to do so.

We have satellite TV, so yes, we will be purchasing it on PPV. (I think last year the PPV game cost around 30 bucks.)

With all of the money pumped into college football these days

That's why I hate it. It's pretty pathetic that big donors will give money for athletics while giving pretty much nothing to academics. Since when were universities supposed to be about football? The situation in Stillwater is especially ridiculous with their stupid athletic village and endless stadium expansions -- go Boone Pickens. I'm glad I went to a division 3 school, meaning no athletic scholarships, and sports were just fun and not a big deal.

Hmm, so I guess I have a rational reason for always wanting my local sports team to lose. ;)

OK, I'm lazy, but these POPS things are irritating because they ask questions that aren't in the syllabus. I really don't want to go look something up for this, especially when I have lots of pharm and path studying to do. I know it's pathetic and all, but I feel like they're just wasting my time.

They should have asked me to make one of those teleprompter videos.

Nice clip, Ice. Think I'm going to have to rent Malice. I've never seen it.

They should have asked me to make one of those teleprompter videos.

Yeah, I can't imagine why they didn't. ;)

So I'm with Freeze and am going back to Robbins as my primary non-syllabus path source. You just can't beat the pictures. Yes, I know that one guy on the discussion board said lots of people failed following this approach, but I'm going for it.

I have my first PCM interview tomorrow. Should I bother to read the assigned materials, or is it just like what we did last year? "So what brings you in here today?" "Can you tell me more about it?" :laugh:

Yeah, I can't imagine why they didn't. ;)

So I'm with Freeze and am going back to Robbins as my primary non-syllabus path source. You just can't beat the pictures. Yes, I know that one guy on the discussion board said lots of people failed following this approach, but I'm going for it.

I have my first PCM interview tomorrow. Should I bother to read the assigned materials, or is it just like what we did last year? "So what brings you in here today?" "Can you tell me more about it?" :laugh:

In my interview group, we are each going to take an interview all the way through ROS, time permitting, at least once. So doing that the first day, after so long, was fun. And we reviewed up until about 4:30, so we only did 1 interview (me), and got out late. Everyone did though. I think it might be scheduled until 1730 anyway...

I think you'd only be in a hole if ALL you did was read Robbin's.

So my wife finally got to come home last night. :clap:

Hopefully we won't be making the trip to the hospital again until delivery. Sleeping in the hospital for a week sucks. :thumbdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.