University of Wisconsin c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats to all accepted!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my letter - Rejected. OOS. Oh well. Kinda expected so not too bummed. Congrats to everyone else! :)

Last edited:
I'm getting really nervous. Haven't heard anything yet, but no one has been rejected yet... Hope I don't start the bad news.. Mail should be here around 3:30..

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting really nervous. Haven't heard anything yet, but no one has been rejected yet... Hope I don't start the bad news.. Mail should be here around 3:30..
Same here. I'm super excited for everyone getting in but at the same time that's one less seat for me!! :-/

Um. I got rejected from UW. Just received my letter in the mail. For some reason, I'm laughing like crazy after I read the letter. :hilarious:

Um. I got rejected from UW. Just received my letter in the mail. For some reason, I'm laughing like crazy after I read the letter. :hilarious:
Ditto. Besides the laughing like crazy part...although I'm sure the craziness is soon to set in! Saw the mailman through my window...ran out to the mailbox...no big brown envelope. Wasn't expecting one, but still...that's 2 rejections in one day for me. Ouch.

Hoping this means that mine will get here today too! My call was on 2/11 and they still haven't sent me anything yet.

I got called the same day. Having the letter in hand kinda makes it feel more official.

I would be going out of town just as letters are sent out...oh well...one more day.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Rejected. No surprise. But still :-( OOS, NY

90 something on the waitlist....almost worse than a rejection =(

Members don't see this ad :)
I got called the same day. Having the letter in hand kinda makes it feel more official.

Yep, mine just came in :) hope you get yours soon too!

Sorry to everyone who got rejection letters today :( keep your heads up!

Thanks, @fractiousfeline. What really sucks, too, is that on the way home from work I saw two cars with UW stickers and thought, "maybe its a sign". Bleh.

But the biggest CONGRATS to those accepted! Rock those red lockers for me :-D

Reactions: 2 users
To all accepted OOSers who are going to the open house on March 7th.. Check out United for your flights. I just booked a round trip ticket from Orlando to Madison for $200! They must be having a sale or something because when I looked last week, they were around $450. Just wanted to share in case it's the same for other cities :)

Reactions: 1 users
25 on the waitlist. Wahhhh :(

do you mean the OOS wait list? if so, you have a VERY good chance of getting in! I'm wait listed too and they said anywhere from 25-85 are usually taken off the list. (as someone in the upper part of that range, I'm pretty much giving up and moving on with my life haha). Anyway, just wanted to tell you not to lose hope!

Got my rejection letter today, too (as I expected). But I was accepted to UMN today, so the rejection didn't bother me at all :)

Reactions: 4 users
all of you getting letters is making me anxious; i don't get off of work until 10 tonight!

i was rejected from them last year... so i am not holding my breath.

my condolences =[ and congrats =] to everyone thus far!

Waitlisted. Oh well, at least now I know!

OOS (AL), rejected. Guess that makes my hemhawing a lot simpler.

Rejected IS. I don't mind though! I got accepted to MN today, which was higher on my list than WI. :)

My heart goes out to those who didn't receive good news today :( I initially expected to be in the same position as a lot of you

Anyone else accepted? Seems like there's a very small number of us unfortunately

Last edited:
Hang in there waitlisters! I was wait listed last year and accepted this year... If you don't get off this year don't give up!

do you mean the OOS wait list? if so, you have a VERY good chance of getting in! I'm wait listed too and they said anywhere from 25-85 are usually taken off the list. (as someone in the upper part of that range, I'm pretty much giving up and moving on with my life haha). Anyway, just wanted to tell you not to lose hope!
Nope, IS! So I'm kind of on the moving on with my life train, too. I don't expect the IS list to move much...but am certainly open to it! :) hope we both see drastic movement :hopeful:

Waitlisted at #15, IS. Wouldn't sting so bad if this wasn't my fourth time applying.

Received my letter and I'm OOS waitlist #129. Something tells me they probably won't get around to me :)

womp womp; rejection. :(

but just like @TheComfyCat I got accepted to MINNESOTA! so bitter sweet day

Rejected OOS. Didn't even phase me. Completely stoked to be attending USU/WSU in the Fall :) CONGRATULATIONS to those of you accepted to UW- both IS and OOS!! :highfive::soexcited:

Reactions: 5 users
Out of curiosity, what rank were you waitlisted last year?

#25. I met with the school last spring and they said my grades and GRE were good, and I just needed additional experience. I starting working as a vet assistant, got some more large animal experience, and shadowed surgeries at the primate center on campus.

#25. I met with the school last spring and they said my grades and GRE were good, and I just needed additional experience. I starting working as a vet assistant, got some more large animal experience, and shadowed surgeries at the primate center on campus.
Thanks coolcat06!

"we regret to inform you..."

Hey guys, I actually am not sure if someone posted this about me way up higher, but I'm a NY OOS and was #59 on the waitlist two years ago. I received the letter around now, waited for months, and got a call that I was accepted June 5th, 2012. Don't give up hope even if you are on the waitlist- there are PlENTY of spaces for you. Also, let me know if you have any questions about Madison, the school, riding horses here, vet life, being engaged in school and planning wedding , etc

Good luck everyone! I will be an IS applicant to UW in a couple of years. :thumbup: However, I work on campus with a girl from the east coast who just finished her first year of vet school here. She was waitlisted and then made it off the waitlist in late June last year.

I cannot say enough good things about Madison & the beautiful (huge!)
campus here.

This may be coincidence, but did you work at Nutritional Sciences? And if so, I think I know you. If not, sorry for creeping!

No news for me yet. Expecting a little white envelope in the mail hopefully today or tomorrow (I say hopefully because I just want to know). Living in Germany pretty much means I get mail after everyone else does. I'm a super OOSer!

@MagicalRose --I am from NY too, and unfortunately I just received a rejection. My grades and GRE are great but I have very very very little large animal experience. Where did you get yours? Any advice if I have to move back home this summer and reapply? Or any idea where to get research experience, I feel like I need more hours in either/both of those categories!

Forgot to check the mail yesterday. I've been fostering some kittens and one died yesterday. The vets think its FIP and the rest of the litter has little chance. Anyway, I'll check my mail on the way out from work. At least I was accepted elsewhere so if its a rejection that will be ok.

@MagicalRose --I am from NY too, and unfortunately I just received a rejection. My grades and GRE are great but I have very very very little large animal experience. Where did you get yours? Any advice if I have to move back home this summer and reapply? Or any idea where to get research experience, I feel like I need more hours in either/both of those categories!
Hi! Don't give up- did you apply anywhere else?
What part of NY are you in? I'm from the western area.
Large animal- I had NO cow experience before school but thousands and thousands of equine hours (non vet). Look for a riding stable or boarding facility around you and see if they need summer help. Maybe volunteer at a therapeutic riding center. Some barns won't let new people work, but most of the smaller ones would welcome help. You can also try contacting the vets around your area and see if you can at least complete a week or two shadowing.

Research is a harder one if you're out of school. I did a 'course' in undergrad where I was a research assistant for a year. No real research, but it was a lab setting. Maybe the undergrad/ grad programs near you have some advertised positions- they won't be glorious, but changing rodent cages for the summer would help your case.

Hi! Don't give up- did you apply anywhere else?
What part of NY are you in? I'm from the western area.
Large animal- I had NO cow experience before school but thousands and thousands of equine hours (non vet). Look for a riding stable or boarding facility around you and see if they need summer help. Maybe volunteer at a therapeutic riding center. Some barns won't let new people work, but most of the smaller ones would welcome help. You can also try contacting the vets around your area and see if you can at least complete a week or two shadowing.

Research is a harder one if you're out of school. I did a 'course' in undergrad where I was a research assistant for a year. No real research, but it was a lab setting. Maybe the undergrad/ grad programs near you have some advertised positions- they won't be glorious, but changing rodent cages for the summer would help your case.
Also, sometimes it's simply just luck of the draw- as in, who else was applying that year. You can be a terrific student and not get in and it not be your fault. Expanding your app wouldn't hurt though. Also, did you ask school how your personal statement was?

Hey! I'm from LI. I did apply to a few more places but nothing but rejections thus far (still waiting to hear from Michigan, Illinois, and UGA...but of course if I got rejected from Mississippi State and Purdue I doubt I'll get into any of those other schools). I suppose I will just have to try and contact some equine facilities and hope it works out this summer. That's a good idea about contacting universities around me for more research experience, I'll give it that a try too. What do you mean about the personal statement? I can ask the vet schools about it and they'll advise me on things that I should change?

So... I drive about an hour to the UW Madison campus for my classes. On Monday there were some pretty awful patches of black ice and gusts of 45 mph winds (for those of you who have not yet experienced the good ol' Wisco black ice, be prepared!)... Anyway, to make a long story short, I did not make it to campus Monday because I rolled (literally) my poor little car into a ditch. As I sat in the squad car, watching my car get towed out of the ditch, the police officer said to me, "you are the least dramatic and most composed young woman who ever just totaled her car." I responded cheerfully by saying, "Oh! I've just been accepted to veterinary school, so a silly car wreck really can't bring me down." True story.

Reactions: 7 users
So... I drive about an hour to the UW Madison campus for my classes. On Monday there were some pretty awful patches of black ice and gusts of 45 mph winds (for those of you who have not yet experienced the good ol' Wisco black ice, be prepared!)... Anyway, to make a long story short, I did not make it to campus Monday because I rolled (literally) my poor little car into a ditch. As I sat in the squad car, watching my car get towed out of the ditch, the police officer said to me, "you are the least dramatic and most composed young woman who ever just totaled her car." I responded cheerfully by saying, "Oh! I've just been accepted to veterinary school, so a silly car wreck really can't bring me down." True story.
I'm glad you're okay, but I understand the feeling! I can't believe this is real life :)

Reactions: 1 users
That's awesome! I mean definitely not that you totaled your car and that you were in danger but your response to the cop. Brought a smile to my face. Heading out to check my mail in a little bit, hoping for some sort of letter from Wisconsin (hopefully good news but not likely).

For those on the waitlist, how did you find out your waitlist position? Did the letter state your position or did you have to contact the school?

I haven't heard anything yet and I am OOS in ny! I'm expecting a rejection why haven't I got it yet!