UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Business casual should be sufficient. Don't overdress. It's very hot right now in Ft. Worth.

very much so. its 108 right now. I came from LA jolla which was 67 to this. wtf :laugh:

So pumped for tomorrow. Got my suit, razor, shoes and tie ready for a interview dress montage tomorrow morning :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

very much so. its 108 right now. I came from LA jolla which was 67 to this. wtf :laugh:

So pumped for tomorrow. Got my suit, razor, shoes and tie ready for a interview dress montage tomorrow morning :laugh:

Man, 108, that's unbelievable. Thank God for AC. Good luck BMEN. Let us know how it goes :luck:

Good luck to everyone interviewing tomorrow!

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed at 7:30 and 9:00 this morning at tcom. I had one md and one do, both were extremely friendly and very easy to talk with. Awesome experience overall. Good luck to everyone that interviewed today!

Had both my interviews in the afternoon. One MD one PHD

Both really asked me about service and why i chose medicine. Did well and really liked them both. This school is even more amazing after getting a chance to see it from an interviewee perspective

Had both my interviews in the afternoon. One MD one PHD

Both really asked me about service and why i chose medicine. Did well and really liked them both. This school is even more amazing after getting a chance to see it from an interviewee perspective
I interviewed at 7:30 and 9:00 this morning at tcom. I had one md and one do, both were extremely friendly and very easy to talk with. Awesome experience overall. Good luck to everyone that interviewed today!

Thanks guys really appreciate the info. I know you guys did fantastic, good luck to everyone!

Thanks guys really appreciate the info. I know you guys did fantastic, good luck to everyone!

Ditto! Glad you both felt good about it, and thanks for sharing your experiences. Can't wait til next Thursday for me!! :)

i enjoyed my interview day, i had two MDs. Very impressed! :thumbup:

I guess I'm asking too much from a guy haha ;) I was curious if girls were wearing pant or skirt suits and if they wore flats when doing the tour... but those are little details I may get answered on my interview day!

I guess I'm asking too much from a guy haha ;) I was curious if girls were wearing pant or skirt suits and if they wore flats when doing the tour... but those are little details I may get answered on my interview day!

From what I can remember they were shirt suits. So like black . Some wore pants. Shoes, didnt pay attention to shoes.Im a guy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Professional attire for both genders on interview day. TCOM, for all its friendliness, is a conservative institution when it comes to those occasions. We had a white coat ceremony last weekend - it was hellish hot, but everyone and their family were very well dressed. I remember having to wear a suit for a couple of days during orientation week.

A suit wasnt that bad. We were inside most of the time. :laugh:

I'll be wearing a grey pant suit- black heels, hair down. hope that helps :p

I'll be wearing a grey pant suit- black heels, hair down. hope that helps :p

You are interviewing the 4th also right? I will keep a look out for a grey pant suit :D I'm doing a black skirt suit with black heels (and I have red hair so I can't be missed :p)

Just a bit of demographics from the interviews yesterday: I had a friend interview and he said the group was about 15 people, 8 Aggies (whoop!), and only 4 women. They aren't taking interviewees to the Botanical Gardens for lunch as they have in the past, but he said the sandwich shop on campus was quite tasty. He said he really enjoyed the day!

You are interviewing the 4th also right? I will keep a look out for a grey pant suit :D I'm doing a black skirt suit with black heels (and I have red hair so I can't be missed :p)

Just a bit of demographics from the interviews yesterday: I had a friend interview and he said the group was about 15 people, 8 Aggies (whoop!), and only 4 women. They aren't taking interviewees to the Botanical Gardens for lunch as they have in the past, but he said the sandwich shop on campus was quite tasty. He said he really enjoyed the day!

Yea, from TAMU there were eight of us. There were 4 women, two from TAMU. Lunch was great.

There is a fairly large contingent of Aggies at TCOM. I'd say UT Austin, Texas A&M, and Baylor are the top three schools represented here.

To those who interviewed....what is lunch and was there any down time?

Choice of a variety of sandwiches or wrap. The BLT was excellent. lots of bacon. There is some down time depending when your interviews are. Maybe about 30 mins or so

Yip I'll be there on the 4th, first invite so will be very nervous- look for the sweaty pale girl!!

Can anyone shed light on what people were wearing?

Men: Dark suits, very conservative. I noticed one guy who didn't wear a suit coat, although he had on a professional looking shirt/tie/slacks. He looked OK and I'm sure did fine, but definitely stuck out a little around. So get that black/navy suit of yours dry-cleaned and ready to go.

Women: I think all of them wore some kind of women's suit thing. I know one wore heels because I noticed she was a bit uncomfortable after the tour. Other than that I didn't pay any attention.

The medical education building that houses almost all of their classes and educational facilities is new, so there was very little outside walking--never got too hot even with the 100+ weather.

When you arrived they handed you a menu with about 15 choices of sandwiches/wraps/salads. It was catered by the on-campus cafeteria. I think "4-star cafe" was its name. It was good. Our student tour guides ate with us and got drilled with lots of random questions about every aspect of life at TCOM. Then they took us on a super chill tour.

I did have about an hour of downtime after the tour before my second interview. We just chilled in the lounge by the admissions office and chatted with Caroline, the interview coordinator, who was really great all day long and was willing to talk candidly about every aspect of the admissions process. She tells you a little about your interviewers, which really puts you at ease: "He's a stickler for time and will be watching the clock, so be standing outside the door right on the dot." "So-and-so will definitely ask you about the osteopathic philosophy and expect a good answer, so be ready for that." "So-and-so is a surgeon and never takes longer than 10 minutes--don't sweat it." " So-and-so is a chatter-box and 30 minutes usually turns into 60+, so I've added some space to your schedule to buffer that if it happens."

Yip I'll be there on the 4th, first invite so will be very nervous- look for the sweaty pale girl!!

This school is so laid back and friendly. The students seem much more interested in collectively becoming excellent clinicians, rather than gunning for the top research/rotation spots. They seem to help each other out a lot. Really just relax and be yourself. My interviewers were both really relaxed and open about everything. Relax and be confident in the good things about your application that landed you an interview in the first place. Read the interview feedback section (see very top of this page) to prepare for an ethical question or two. Other than that just remember to smile and look like your happy to be there. A few of the applicants were super serious and never cracked a smile--they seemed kinda stressed out. No need for that. :)

Overall I was extremely impressed, more than I thought I would be. I'm convinced TCOM is the best DO school in the country, and as far as clinical training goes (maybe not research, if that's what you're into) can compete with and even beat most MD schools. Their match list had tons of super competitive residency matched across the state and country--the numbers you'd expect from an MD school. They have about 60% go into primary care, but a plurality of those went into IM, so many will end up doing competitive fellowships in non-primary care fields.

During the tour the students gave us the real low-down on OMM and the whole DO vs MD thing. It opened my eyes some, and I am now much more comfortable going DO, at least at this school, than I was before. Basically OMM has its benefits, but its OK if you are skeptical of some of the techniques--most people are. You aren't expected to worship AT Still or anything. It's nothing more than an added tool to the large repertoire of classical medicine training you receive. If nothing else, it will teach you how to be very comfortable touching and physically examining patients.

Very good school. :thumbup:

Last edited:
We just chilled in the lounge by the admissions office and chatted with Caroline, the interview coordinator, who was really great all day long and was willing to talk candidly about every aspect of the admissions process. She tells you a little about your interviewers, which really puts you at ease: "He's a stickler for time and will be watching the clock, so be standing outside the door right on the dot." "So-and-so will definitely ask you about the osteopathic philosophy and expect a good answer, so be ready for that." "So-and-so is a surgeon and never takes longer than 10 minutes--don't sweat it." " So-and-so is a chatter-box and 30 minutes usually turns into 60+, so I've added some space to your schedule to buffer that if it happens."

I'm going to chime in a bit since I'm a student here and I went through the same process two years ago. If Caroline didn't mention the psychiatrist: If you get the psychiatrist, don't freak out. He's not trying to psych you out or anything. Just listen attentively and relax. The surgeons expect a concise answer without much elaboration. They're all very nice people.

This school is so laid back and friendly. The students seem much more interested in collectively becoming excellent clinicians, rather than gunning for the top research/rotation spots. They seem to help each other out a lot. Really just relax and be yourself. My interviewers were both really relaxed and open about everything. Relax and be confident in the good things about your application that landed you an interview in the first place. Read the interview feedback section (see very top of this page) to prepare for an ethical question or two. Other than that just remember to smile and look like your happy to be there. A few of the applicants were super serious and never cracked a smile--they seemed kinda stressed out. No need for that.

This is an extremely important point. TCOM is a friendly place and they look for friendly people. The culture is a bit similar to A&M's - it's a "brotherhood" where students are expected to help each other as friends and colleagues. It is a tough and demanding school. I spent more hours in the classroom and on campus than my friends at other schools. And because of OMM, TCOM has a longer school year. But they want you to succeed. So they look for attitude as much as aptitude in applicants: intelligence, friendliness, resilience. Be sociable and smile. Don't act like a nerd or a loner during the interview.

Overall I was extremely impressed, more than I thought I would be. I'm convinced TCOM is the best DO school in the country, and as far as clinical training goes (maybe not research, if that's what you're into) can compete with and even beat most MD schools. Their match list had tons of super competitive residency matched across the state and country--the numbers you'd expect from an MD school. They have about 60% go into primary care, but a plurality of those went into IM, so many will end up doing competitive fellowships in non-primary care fields.

TCOM graduates are always in demand, and they have produced many chief residents, i.e. TCOM DOs have beat out MDs and other DOs in many chief resident elections. The MD schools in Texas have a high regard for TCOM because of their long, solid record. The president of the Texas Medical Board is a TCOM DO.

During the tour the students gave us the real low-down on OMM and the whole DO vs MD thing. It opened my eyes some, and I am now much more comfortable going DO, at least at this school, than I was before. Basically OMM has its benefits, but its OK if you are skeptical of some of the techniques--most people are. You aren't expected to worship AT Still or anything. It's nothing more than an added tool to the large repertoire of classical medicine training you receive. If nothing else, it will teach you how to be very comfortable touching and physically examining patients.

OMM is kept separate from the other stuff at TCOM. The OMM class was actually fun and enjoyable. I treated it like a useful skill. I think of it as one of those wrenches in my toolbox - nice to have but probably never used.

Last edited:
I'm going to chime in a bit since I'm a student here and I went through the same process two years ago.
TCOM is a friendly place and they look for friendly people. The culture is a bit similar to A&M's - it's a "brotherhood" where students are expected to help each other as friends and colleagues.
So they look for attitude as much as aptitude in applicants: intelligence, friendliness, resilience. Be sociable and smile. Don't act like a nerd or a loner during the interview.

Thank you for your thoughts as a current student! They make me even more excited to get up there next week for my interview. I especially appreciate your comments on the relationship between students being more supportive than competitive, which is something very important to me as I look at various schools.

Best of luck with your upcoming year! :thumbup:

This school is so laid back and friendly. The students seem much more interested in collectively becoming excellent clinicians, rather than gunning for the top research/rotation spots. They seem to help each other out a lot. Really just relax and be yourself.

I felt exactly this way. The environment of the school is students first. You get that feel from the tour, the presentations, and especially the interview.

TCOM just impressed me and left me wanting to join the first years in that second. The curriculum is set up in a way that gives students great training to become clinicians. I am still of the opinion that it can match up head to head with all the other Texas schools. If research is your game, there's still plenty of that here since it is part of a health science center.

Keep your minds open, be confident, honest, and be able to explain why you want to go into medicine. If can do all of these it'll be one of your best days!

BTW: I had no medical ethics questions. Not a single one. Just depends on the interviewer. My first interviewer was super casual. We just talked for about 15 minutes, and then we spent the last 5 minutes just talking. My second interviewer was a little more formal, reading questions off a sheet and taking notes. However, despite the formal tone, it was still very informal and felt that she really wanted to get to know me and what made me tick.

Thank you for your thoughts as a current student! They make me even more excited to get up there next week for my interview. I especially appreciate your comments on the relationship between students being more supportive than competitive, which is something very important to me as I look at various schools.

Best of luck with your upcoming year! :thumbup:

Glad to be of help. I chose TCOM not because I didn't have other options. I chose it because of its reputation, its location and the camaraderie among the students (and the high-achieving alumni throughout the state).

Good luck to all, and be prepared to work hard among a bunch of smart and cool friends!

I've been seeing some of you guys interviewing today, and first of all: Congrats!

I also wanted to emphasize some things that have been mentioned before. As a first year student who started this week, I've noticed something in particular: All the students here are very sociable and friendly. Now, I don't say that to pat myself on the back but to let you know that TCOM discriminantly looks for social and friendly attributes in your personality, probably more so than other schools. Now that means that even if you have amazing stats, if you aren't friendly and easy to talk to, that will count against you strongly here moreso than other places, and that is what the interview is there for to see. I have yet to meet a socially awkward person in my class or the year ahead of me, and I found that a bit strange because in undergrad you always have those types of personalities around. And I know people in other med schools who are very socially inept, so that must mean TCOM emphasizes having students that are not like that. I even know of someone who had a exceptional stats who was sent a rejection letter from TCOM after the interview (rejected before the match, and rejection letters are rare in Texas schools as far as I know) a few years ago but was accepted at another MD school. He was a friend of mine, and he wasn't socially awkward or shy, but he had somewhat of a robotic personality that I think really hurt him.

So what does that all mean? If you want a decent shot here, make sure to smile, be very friendly, and talk. Avoid being the nerdy, quiet person at the interview, even if that's who you normally are.

And I want everyone to know that the amount of support you will receive from upperclassmen and your own class is phenomenal. The 2nd years really care about helping you and do everything they can to make things easier for you.

With that said, good luck!

Men: Dark suits, very conservative. I noticed one guy who didn't wear a suit coat, although he had on a professional looking shirt/tie/slacks. He looked OK and I'm sure did fine, but definitely stuck out a little around. So get that black/navy suit of yours dry-cleaned and ready to go.

Women: I think all of them wore some kind of women's suit thing. I know one wore heels because I noticed she was a bit uncomfortable after the tour. Other than that I didn't pay any attention.

The medical education building that houses almost all of their classes and educational facilities is new, so there was very little outside walking--never got too hot even with the 100+ weather.

When you arrived they handed you a menu with about 15 choices of sandwiches/wraps/salads. It was catered by the on-campus cafeteria. I think "4-star cafe" was its name. It was good. Our student tour guides ate with us and got drilled with lots of random questions about every aspect of life at TCOM. Then they took us on a super chill tour.

I did have about an hour of downtime after the tour before my second interview. We just chilled in the lounge by the admissions office and chatted with Caroline, the interview coordinator, who was really great all day long and was willing to talk candidly about every aspect of the admissions process. She tells you a little about your interviewers, which really puts you at ease: "He's a stickler for time and will be watching the clock, so be standing outside the door right on the dot." "So-and-so will definitely ask you about the osteopathic philosophy and expect a good answer, so be ready for that." "So-and-so is a surgeon and never takes longer than 10 minutes--don't sweat it." " So-and-so is a chatter-box and 30 minutes usually turns into 60+, so I've added some space to your schedule to buffer that if it happens."

This school is so laid back and friendly. The students seem much more interested in collectively becoming excellent clinicians, rather than gunning for the top research/rotation spots. They seem to help each other out a lot. Really just relax and be yourself. My interviewers were both really relaxed and open about everything. Relax and be confident in the good things about your application that landed you an interview in the first place. Read the interview feedback section (see very top of this page) to prepare for an ethical question or two. Other than that just remember to smile and look like your happy to be there. A few of the applicants were super serious and never cracked a smile--they seemed kinda stressed out. No need for that. :)

Thank you so much for all your insight I feel a lot calmer- :xf: for next week :D

Actually I should thank everyone for their insights, I think it makes all the difference when you're surrounded by supportive people! Thanks again :oops:

Interviewed here today, was extremely impressed! TCOM is an awesome school. Morzh's post above pretty much mirrors my impressions of the school. The students were extremely friendly and welcoming. A few of us sat in on part of two lectures and two different students came up to say hi and ask us about our interview day. Everyone seemed at home, relaxed and social, which was very nice to see. Caroline was amazing- so friendly and helpful/attentive. Like Morzh said, she would come and sit and talk while we waiting in the admissions room, explained who our interviewers were and what their interview styles were like, explained their admissions philosophy and timeline, and directed us to every location. The student ambassadors were also great and answered any question we threw at them.

There were 12 of us today, with like 6 from A&M I think (seems to be a trend? lol). Regarding topics, interviews were all over the place. One was centered on DO philosophy/OMM, and the other on service, healthcare's future and things of the sort. Some others had many ethical/scenario questions, (You have to kill one of the 3 following people:...), the train approaching a fork-type questions, and healthcare reform questions. Seems like the interview type definitely depends on your interviewer.

Overall I loved TCOM! Everyone- students, physicians, faculty- was extremely hospitable, friendly, and made us feel right at home.

Do y'all think it is worthwhile to go to the open house on Saturday? I eally love this school.

Do y'all think it is worthwhile to go to the open house on Saturday? I really love this school.

Sure, Why not!?!
-- You might get the same ol' same ol' and later on you will feel its all repetitive but you want to make sure this is the right atmosphere for you. If there is an student open panel I would highly suggust going and asking every question you can (plus it'd make me feel better, I dont want to be the only one up at school on a saturday).

Interviewed here today, was extremely impressed! TCOM is an awesome school. Morzh's post above pretty much mirrors my impressions of the school. The students were extremely friendly and welcoming. A few of us sat in on part of two lectures and two different students came up to say hi and ask us about our interview day. Everyone seemed at home, relaxed and social, which was very nice to see. Caroline was amazing- so friendly and helpful/attentive. Like Morzh said, she would come and sit and talk while we waiting in the admissions room, explained who our interviewers were and what their interview styles were like, explained their admissions philosophy and timeline, and directed us to every location. The student ambassadors were also great and answered any question we threw at them.

There were 12 of us today, with like 6 from A&M I think (seems to be a trend? lol). Regarding topics, interviews were all over the place. One was centered on DO philosophy/OMM, and the other on service, healthcare's future and things of the sort. Some others had many ethical/scenario questions, (You have to kill one of the 3 following people:...), the train approaching a fork-type questions, and healthcare reform questions. Seems like the interview type definitely depends on your interviewer.

Overall I loved TCOM! Everyone- students, physicians, faculty- was extremely hospitable, friendly, and made us feel right at home.

There are tons of aggies in the 2015 class.

SOLID WORK :thumbup::thumbup:

P.S. - yall interviewing today looked good! hope you enjoyed it

for those that have already interviewed here, how did you prepare for the healthcare and ethical questions? any recommendations on resources that are easy to understand?

thanks!

for those that have already interviewed here, how did you prepare for the healthcare and ethical questions? any recommendations on resources that are easy to understand?

thanks!

read the new healthcare topic and read over the UW health ethic module. Just to get a stance and be able to defend it

read the new healthcare topic and read over the UW health ethic module. Just to get a stance and be able to defend it

thank you! sorry, what's the UW health ethic module? i googled it and couldn't find anything. also by new healthcare topic, do you mean the new healthcare bill?

thanks!

awesome, thanks so much! other than these two topics, are there any other tricky topics you might recommend brushing up on? i'm reading the interview feedback section for questions from previous years, but i know things can change from year to year..

thanks again!

It just depends who you get. My advice is as follows:

Smile. Be real and genuine. Make sure to convey why you want to be a doctor. Make it come from the heart. Be able to explain why you did the service and shadowing you did. Be able to know what made you pick medicine from the thousands of career paths out there. Be able to explain what would make you a great physician.

If you do that and prepare from the interview feedback( knowing more out Osteopathic medicine) youll do great

It just depends who you get. My advice is as follows:

Smile. Be real and genuine. Make sure to convey why you want to be a doctor. Make it come from the heart. Be able to explain why you did the service and shadowing you did. Be able to know what made you pick medicine from the thousands of career paths out there. Be able to explain what would make you a great physician.

If you do that and prepare from the interview feedback( knowing more out Osteopathic medicine) youll do great

thanks so much! other than all this, i've been worried about interview attire--i only have a wool womens pantsuit and i know it'll be really hot, but i don't have enough time to buy another suit that'll be compatible with the hot weather..oh well!

thanks so much! other than all this, i've been worried about interview attire--i only have a wool womens pantsuit and i know it'll be really hot, but i don't have enough time to buy another suit that'll be compatible with the hot weather..oh well!

The heat isnt that bad. You are outside for maybe a total of one minute. and thats to walk from place to place.

Something that could probably be pulled off quickly and still look professional would be a knee-length fitted black skirt with a tucked-in button down and black pumps!

Oh and thanks everyone for interview tips, I will definitely return the favor with my thoughts Thursday :)

Congrats on all of you who received interviews :) Could someone please clear something up for me - my TMDSAS was verified three weeks ago. However, my third letter of rec will be arriving next week. So, is UNTHSC TCOM waiting on my letter to consider me for an interview or do they give out interviews before all letters have arrived to TMDSAS? How do I find out if I am complete? Also, should I have Interfolio mail a fourth letter from a DO directly to the school, or how does that work? Finally, is it too late in the cycle to be considered for an interview? BTW, I am OOS. Thanks so much!