USF MSMS 2015 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Put my application in last week and got accepted today!

As for registration I just got the outline for registration not how to do it, maybe it's because I haven't accepted my admission yet? I dont know about you.

Members don't see this ad.

As for registration I just got the outline for registration not how to do it, maybe it's because I haven't accepted my admission yet? I dont know about you.
I was complete over a week ago and still haven't heard anything. The email did say that decision time frame is based on competitiveness and not when you are complete. Guess I'm not that competitive.

Congratulations on your acceptance.

I don't know if any of my stats help ya out but here they are:

cGPA: 3.34
sGPA:3.09
MCAT:31

My ec's are pretty good, had good shadowing great research volunteering i was a little weak in although I had both clinical and non-clinical.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if any of my stats help ya out but here they are:

cGPA: 3.34
sGPA:3.09
MCAT:31

My ec's are pretty good, had good shadowing great research volunteering i was a little weak in although I had both clinical and non-clinical.
You're MCAT blows mine away. No wonder you got such a fast decision. Now I'm depressed lol

And for
You're MCAT blows mine away. No wonder you got such a fast decision. Now I'm depressed lol
My MCAT is well above the average, what is your score? I wouldn't fret over that just yet.

Hey who knows, it's an average for a reason.

Have you looked at some of the other programs? Like Novas?
I didn't apply to Nova but I did apply to LMU-DCOM and LECOM. I was rejected by both.

I didn't apply to Nova but I did apply to LMU-DCOM and LECOM. I was rejected by both.
I know Barry has a program and I think FSU may also. There are a ton of programs you should just keep applying around.

You must be IS? I am OOS, Competitive , submitted my app over 2 weeks ago, and haven't heard a thing.

hey guys I've been accepted, looking forward to maybe being a future classmate! does anyone know how much this program costs?

I can find information anywhere

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys I've been accepted, looking forward to maybe being a future classmate! does anyone know how much this program costs?

I can find information anywhere
Congrats! 431 per credit for in state and 877 for out of state.

Is there a face book group?

Is there a linkage to the med school through this program?

No, There is no official linkage and only a few students from the program matriculate into the MD program. In addition, The class size is a whopping 200 students. Personally, I don't see any appeal to this program.

Reactions: 1 user
No, There is no official linkage and only a few students from the program matriculate into the MD program. In addition, The class size is a whopping 200 students. Personally, I don't see any appeal to this program.
which program does appeal to you?

For MD Drexel(dpms) and Creighton post bacc. For DO PCOM, LECOM, and TOURO. These schools either have official linkage or a high chance of acceptance to their med class the following year.

For MD Drexel(dpms) and Creighton post bacc. For DO PCOM, LECOM, and TOURO. These schools either have official linkage or a high chance of acceptance to their med class the following year.
I'm only interested in MD programs and although those are great programs they are geared towards accepting students who come from socially/economically disadvantaged backgrounds, which I do not.

I'm only interested in MD programs and although those are great programs they are geared towards accepting students who come from socially/economically disadvantaged backgrounds, which I do not.

True! Drexel has an IMS program which has a guaranteed interview if you meet certain requirements and temple university has an official linkage but the requirements are higher. I think you need a 3.5 in the program and 30MCAT. These programs are not geared towards socio-economically disadvantaged students.

Hi wondering if someone can answer these few questions:

How long on average does it take to finish the program? A whole year or one school year? Are most people doing the program full time or working and doing it part time?

I got a rejection letter from USF Morsani College of Medicine :( saying IMS students are guaranteed to matriculate into the subsequent class if they achieve the benchmarks of the program. Anyone know what the benchmarks are? Guaranteed seems to be a strong word. Are these students applying while in the program there? I'm guessing most people take a gap year after the program right?

Does anyone know what the cost is roughly?

Thanks!

I'm afraid IMS is like the FSU bridge program and you have to be invited to apply to it. But at least it has guaranteed admissions which it didn't before.

I agree. My friend in the program regrets it completely since it doesn't really boost your application at all for MCOM and she said most graduates don't even get an interview at MCOM and end up going to DO schools (nothing bad about them, but grade replacement is cheaper).

I'm afraid IMS is like the FSU bridge program and you have to be invited to apply to it. But at least it has guaranteed admissions which it didn't before.

I agree. My friend in the program regrets it completely since it doesn't really boost your application at all for MCOM and she said most graduates don't even get an interview at MCOM and end up going to DO schools (nothing bad about them, but grade replacement is cheaper).

^^Agreed! I also have a friends in the program and they may be going to the Caribbean after they complete the program. MSMS is just an overall bad investment.

I would like to do a Masters' Program, and USF is ideal as it is really close to home. After graduating, I'd rather live at home for a year, but it seems like everyone is bad talking this program.

When I looked at threads from a few years ago, there were a lot of complaints that the program was very disorganized and the teachers were ineffective. At the very least, does anyone know if the quality of the teachers has improved? Also, I've heard that getting good grades is very difficult due to the lack of a curve.

I'm sorry but none of these sound like concrete reasons not to do the program. I appreciate the input and of course I want to know if it will be a bad investment because I would avoid it. Like you said, if it is disorganized and has ineffective teachers, I believe thats a solid reason. However, I believe that is no loner the case. As for no guarantee, nothing in life is ever guaranteed.... so who cares, a 45 and a 4.0 isn't even guaranteed admission. And just because a few kids y'all know can't get into an MD program really doesn't mean anything to me. Also, difficulty to get good grades because theres not a curve is ridiculous. Please understand I'm not trying to stir the pot, I just really want solid information as I am about 90% I will be enrolling in this program.

I'm sorry but none of these sound like concrete reasons not to do the program. I appreciate the input and of course I want to know if it will be a bad investment because I would avoid it. Like you said, if it is disorganized and has ineffective teachers, I believe thats a solid reason. However, I believe that is no loner the case. As for no guarantee, nothing in life is ever guaranteed.... so who cares, a 45 and a 4.0 isn't even guaranteed admission. And just because a few kids y'all know can't get into an MD program really doesn't mean anything to me. Also, difficulty to get good grades because theres not a curve is ridiculous. Please understand I'm not trying to stir the pot, I just really want solid information as I am about 90% I will be enrolling in this program.

I have three friends in the program right now. One anded an interview at USF, one got in DO in Philadelphia and the other is taking a year off before. But two of my three friends got good offers and they applied without having their grades from the program. I also know a students who are currently at FIU and USF med school who did this program. You guys are giving it a ton of flak but I think it is a lot of your experiences.

Reactions: 3 users
I attended their preview day about two weeks ago. It seemed like an excellent program. We had the opportunity to meet with approximately 15 of the student ambassadors and they all seem to be very pleased with the program. To be a student ambassador you had to maintain at least a 3.75 GPA through the first semester. They did not have a number on the student ambassadors this year but I'm guessing it is around 10 to 20% of the class. Maintaining a GPA over 3.75 seems to be very difficult in this program. They said the students typically study at least 50 to 70 hours per week to be highly successful in this program. However they said it is definitely doable if you are a committed student. It also offers very convenient shadowing and volunteering opportunities at the nearby hospitals.

Reactions: 1 users
I attended their preview day about two weeks ago. It seemed like an excellent program. We had the opportunity to meet with approximately 15 of the student ambassadors and they all seem to be very pleased with the program. To be a student ambassador you had to maintain at least a 3.75 GPA through the first semester. They did not have a number on the student ambassadors this year but I'm guessing it is around 10 to 20% of the class. Maintaining a GPA over 3.75 seems to be very difficult in this program. They said the students typically study at least 50 to 70 hours per week to be highly successful in this program. However they said it is definitely doable if you are a committed student. It also offers very convenient shadowing and volunteering opportunities at the nearby hospitals.

50-70 hours? Wtf? Let's see:
24 hours per day
- 10 hours studying
- 3 hours of class
- 1 hour driving there and back, parking, and walking around that giant-ass campus
- 8 hours of sleep
- 1 hour eating meals
- 1 hour morning & night routine (shave, brush teeth, blow-dry hair)
- 1/2 hour masturbate (optional)
--------------------------------------
= 0 to negative 1/2 hour of free time a day; I suppose I do get +4 hours each weekend day if I'm not going to class, but I would be spending that time volunteering or shadowing. So, that means no part-time job, studying for the MCAT, or masturbating for a whole year. Damn. I know med-school's going to be tough too, but I was hoping I'd at least have enough time to study for the MCAT and work a 12-hour part-time job while in this program. Maybe I should just take undergrad classes at USF as a non-degree student.

Reactions: 2 users
They have an optional MCAT class that you can during the semester. Several of the students said they did this and then used their winter break to take the test or took it after the program. Ideally the MCAT should be taken the summer before. They also mentioned setting up 3 different volunteer mission trips throughout the year during the breaks starting this upcoming year to help the students acquire hours, they mentioned Costa Rica and two other places. I'm sure some of the students get away with studying less, it just depends on your studying style. Several of the students mentioned having to withdraw from their part-time jobs to focus on the program.

I have three friends in the program right now. One anded an interview at USF, one got in DO in Philadelphia and the other is taking a year off before. But two of my three friends got good offers and they applied without having their grades from the program. I also know a students who are currently at FIU and USF med school who did this program. You guys are giving it a ton of flak but I think it is a lot of your experiences.

The flak is justified. Remember this is a 200+ class per year. Of course there will be success stories since I'm sure many of them had a good resume and either didn't want to lose out on a year of doing nothing or felt straight A's in a masters will give them the edge. However, if your GPA is low, then this program will not really help you in this circumstance of getting into an MD program. If the program had 50-75 people then I would highly recommend it, but 200+ (and I add the + because it isn't unheard of for a class to have 230 students), it just isn't worth the justification. I'm in an MD program and am happy about where I am, but MSMS wasn't really the determining factor for my success.

When I say guarantee, I mean at least a sizable portion of the class gets into MCOM each year. The respectable SMPs have at least 30-40% of their class get into their home institution, but for MCOM, usually only 10 students or less get in the same year they're taking the SMP and after you graduate you are competing with the other class graduates for ~180 spots (including Select). SMPs are great because they usually give you an advantage into the home institution or they have a good reputation that other medical schools will know what rigors you have gone through. MSMS has neither.

Congrats! What were you stats if i may ask?

Been complete for about 3 weeks now and still no word. Waiting sucks!

I've been complete for over a month. Why is it taking so long?

My application was marked complete on 4/07 and I'm still waiting. I really hope I get in. This program sounds absolutely amazing.

Just got an email saying my app is complete and they have begun reviewing, anyone know when they coMe to a decision?
Also is there an MCAT course incorporated into this program? or any linkage with the med school? Still trying to figure out more about this program

Just got an email saying my app is complete and they have begun reviewing, anyone know when they coMe to a decision?
Also is there an MCAT course incorporated into this program? or any linkage with the med school? Still trying to figure out more about this program
I was complete on 3/12 and was told it could take up to June to get a decision.

There are 3 electives you can take through the program. One is an MCAT preparation course, one is a cadaver anatomy course, and the other has to do with research (I don't remember off the top of my head if it is Thesis or what the deal is).

There is no official linkage between the med school and this SMP, you simply look more favorable to the admissions committee.

My app was complete on 4/15. about how long do you think for a decision?
I toured the program on my spring break and was told that they have notified students in august of acceptance just 2 weeks before school starting!

My app was complete on 4/15. about how long do you think for a decision?
I toured the program on my spring break and was told that they have notified students in august of acceptance just 2 weeks before school starting!
I was complete on 3/12. They told me it could be as late as June before I hear something. I guess no news is good news.

When does the MSMS class start? Looking for studious roomates for June 1st. PM if you're interested.

Last edited: