USF MSMS 2015 Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am going to start this program in the Fall and I am so glad I found this thread!
I worried because I am not quite positive if this program will look good on my dental school applications. Does anyone know of a pre-dental student who finished this program and got into a dental school despite having a low undergrad GPA?

What were your stats if you don't mind sharing since you got accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA is really not that great. My science GPA is 3.2 and total GPA is 3.3.
DAT:20, PAT:22
Congrats on your acceptance! What were your completion and acceptance dates, if you don't mind sharing?

Been complete for two weeks now. Hope I get accepted. I read somewhere if your not competitive, they put you on a wait list. Not sure. Has anyone received a rejection letter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Been complete for two weeks now. Hope I get accepted. I read somewhere if your not competitive, they put you on a wait list. Not sure. Has anyone received a rejection letter?

Same as you, I've been complete since April 15 but haven't received any word since then, I'm still weighing my options against this program, TCMC MBS program, LECOM Postbac and MWU CCOM MA program. So far I've only gotten in MWU

I looked into the MWU program before I applied here. It definitely looks promising because MWU has a dental school unlike USF. It might be too late to apply but have you heard of any pros/cons about the MWU program from anyone that finished it?

I've heard a lot of great things from the MWU students from previous years but the ones i contacted were all pre-med. However I heard that there are a good number of pre-dental students as well. As far as I know for med if you fall into 1 or 2 standard deviations of the accepted student MCAT and maintain a 3.5 gpa you will be guaranteed and interview at both campuses. I heard the atmosphere is really great, the program gives a lot of opportunities to shadow other doctors, and there are advisors as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Is this program actually even that good anymore? They have 270 seats now when they started off at like 25 a couple years ago. I feel like it would be so difficult to get a professor to write a letter of rec since basically everybody would be wanting one and the competition would be ridiculous. Any thoughts?

Has anyone else been accepted? Still waiting. I guess I'm probably on the wait list or rejected.

Just got accepted into this program today! Excited but hesitant to enroll based on previous negative comments.

Does anyone know if they have improved the program over the years? I understand they isn't much guarantee to get into the MD program, but do you think this program will help? Granted you perform well of course.

My husband just got his acceptance letter to the online MSMS yesterday. Anyone think the online degree is really worth it? Or would an in person program look better for Med schools? Still waiting to hear back from PCOM - GA & waitlisted at PCOM -PA

My husband just got his acceptance letter to the online MSMS yesterday. Anyone think the online degree is really worth it? Or would an in person program look better for Med schools? Still waiting to hear back from PCOM - GA & waitlisted at PCOM -PA
I also applied to this program, my application was complete on 3/12. I know several people who have gotten into medical/dental school after completing this program. With any masters program I was told you want at least a 3.6 overall GPA. This is an amazing option if he can't get into medical school outright.

Do you mind sharing his stats and when his application was complete? I just want to gauge where I stand.

@metoo if its any help, I was accepted about 2.5-3 weeks after I submitted my application. I have a 3.4sgpa and 26 MCAT with over 1200 hours of clinical work, and 200+ hrs of research.

@metoo if its any help, I was accepted about 2.5-3 weeks after I submitted my application. I have a 3.4sgpa and 26 MCAT with over 1200 hours of clinical work, and 200+ hrs of research.
Wow that was fast. Congratulations. It looks like I'm going to get rejected. I just wish they would hurry up and let me know. I'm tired of being strung along.

Members don't see this ad :)
To those that were accepted how did you find out? I haven't received an email, but when I checked on the admissions page, my current application status says "admitted"

I received an email from Emily Barton about the acceptance. @metoo Hang in there! I'd say between 3-5 weeks is a decent range of time.

I received an email from Emily Barton about the acceptance. @metoo Hang in there! I'd say between 3-5 weeks is a decent range of time.
Thank you for the encouragement. It's been over 9 weeks with no word, I wish they would just stop the bleeding.

I also applied to this program, my application was complete on 3/12. I know several people who have gotten into medical/dental school after completing this program. With any masters program I was told you want at least a 3.6 overall GPA. This is an amazing option if he can't get into medical school outright.

Do you mind sharing his stats and when his application was complete? I just want to gauge where I stand.
27 MCAT, not sure about GPA, low 3.0. It took about 3 weeks for an email response.

still haven't heard back from this program even though it's been over a month since my app was complete. Either way I am withdrawing from this program to attend LECOM's post bac, good luck all! :)

Does anyone know if the program is filled yet? Have they decided their 2015 entering class?

Accepted but going to withdraw. Hopefully this frees a place for someone else!

when did you apply if you don't mind me asking?
I submitted the online app mid March, I sent my letters and stuff around the last week of April, and I heard back officially last week. It could have been sooner because there was a typo with my email so I don't know when they sent it exactly. I would gauge a 3-4 week turn around

Being an online program, we interact with professors mainly through email or Canvas announcements. That being said it is entirely your responsibility to email them with questions, set an appointment to meet with them personally, or drop by during their office hours. The professors who teach the online program are the exact same for the in-person masters and medical programs. They are warm, down to earth and always willing to make time with their students. I already have 2 that I'm getting LORs from, one from last semester and one from this semester. And for advising, yes there are student organizations to help students in the SMP hoping to apply to a professional school. Much of the advising I've gotten has been from professors, a few of them on the board of admissions for USF COM! Obviously they cannot violate the ethics of the admissions process by handing out secrets, but I've been able to have their guidance and expertise when it comes to getting my application ready for this Summer.

I was recently accepted into the USF online masters program.
If you've has matriculated through the program, would you be willing to tell me about your experience?
Classes? Any instructional videos?
Exams (I heard they are similar to the USMLE Step exams)?
Helped with admission to any schools? Morsani COM?
Can you take your classes during the fall & spring and finish your last semester in summer?
Communicating with your classmates?
Anything your willing to answer would great!

The application deadline was extended to July 1st. Is this a good or bad thing for those who haven't heard back?

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be starting the one year pre-professional program this fall. Does anyone who enrolled in this program in a previous year still have the syllabi for the classes? I work during the week, so I'm wondering how many exams there are per year and if attendance is mandatory.

Accepted into the online master's today!!! I can breathe again

Just got accepted and rejected it today, I submitted mine like 1 1/2 weeks ago. There's probably still some space left.

Is it a good idea to do this masters program while applying to medical schools? I was interested in doing this masters program while applying/interviewing to medical schools and hopefully matriculating in summer/august of 2016.

Also, when does this masters program end? during the summer of 2016? If I get a medical school acceptance, wouldn't most of the medical schools start in summer of 2016 as well? I would not want to still be finishing up my masters and not be able to start medical school if I did the masters program at USF...

Hey guys, I'm currently in the final semester of the on campus program. Feel free to ask/inbox me any questions.

Is a 22 on the MCAT too low for this program? I know the minimum requirement is a 20

Do I have a chance? My file has been complete since about May 1. I'm USF alum (class of 2005).

Science GPA: 3.0
MCAT: 21

I've been teaching math full-time for the last 9 years.

I'd email them... I turned in mine June 1st and I already got a reply.

I'd email them... I turned in mine June 1st and I already got a reply.
What were your stats? You've been accepted?

I emailed them this past week and was told that it historically takes until August to fill the class and they are working to complete files since it's only been a week since the deadline. Hmmmm....

average like 3.2c and 3.0s. low mcat, but with lots of clinical shadowing.

Do I have a chance? My file has been complete since about May 1. I'm USF alum (class of 2005).

Science GPA: 3.0
MCAT: 21

I've been teaching math full-time for the last 9 years.
I'm not holding on to any hope for this program. I have a 3.1 GPA and a 22 MCAT. I've been complete since March and still no word. I've emailed them and their reply was, "We have until June/July to make a decision", so much for applying early.

Is this program actually even that good anymore? They have 270 seats now when they started off at like 25 a couple years ago. I feel like it would be so difficult to get a professor to write a letter of rec since basically everybody would be wanting one and the competition would be ridiculous. Any thoughts?

I'm currently finishing the program...I had no problems meeting professors and getting them to write letters. If you're diligent and pick professors you can bond with it's really not hard at all to get them to write you a letter.

Is it a good idea to do this masters program while applying to medical schools? I was interested in doing this masters program while applying/interviewing to medical schools and hopefully matriculating in summer/august of 2016.

Also, when does this masters program end? during the summer of 2016? If I get a medical school acceptance, wouldn't most of the medical schools start in summer of 2016 as well? I would not want to still be finishing up my masters and not be able to start medical school if I did the masters program at USF...

A good portion of the people in my class were accepted during the previous cycle while in the program. Depending on when their respective schools begin class, they either stayed in the program or have already left...but I'd say the majority stuck around since our last test date of the program is 7/21 and graduation is on 8/5. You don't have to finish the masters though...they offer a "Certificate of Completion" after the first semester.

I'll be starting the one year pre-professional program this fall. Does anyone who enrolled in this program in a previous year still have the syllabi for the classes? I work during the week, so I'm wondering how many exams there are per year and if attendance is mandatory.

Attendance is not mandatory. However, it will be a challenge for you to find time to work & study during the week for these classes. Not that it can't be done....I'm just glad I didn't have to work during this program. They don't really provide a comprehensive syllabus but here's an idea of what your classes are:

**3 Exams per class - EX Test Cycle: Thurs - Anatomy, Mon - Biochem, Wed - Genetics, Thurs - Immuno**
Fall
- Medical Anatomy
- Medical Biochem
- Medical Genetics
- Medical Immunology/Microbiology

Spring
- Histology
- Neuroscience
- Medical Physiology
- Pharmacology
- Cadaver Lab (optional - must obtain permission from admin & have done well in Anatomy lecture...only ~25 spots available...offered in spring & summer)

Summer
- Embryology
- Pathology
- Medical Ethics (online course)
- Cadaver Lab (same as above listed cadaver lab description)

How did you hear about this deadline extension?

Is that for the online program?

After June 1st they changed it to July 1st. It's on their site in red font. Not the online program.

After June 1st they changed it to July 1st. It's on their site in red font. Not the online program.
Wow. That's so strange. Why extend the deadline to inflate the applicant pool when there are already tons of applicants? Especially since they've said that they are taking the most competitive applicants (i.e. people with the highest numbers), hopefully this will still leave an opportunity for those who need a program like this to truly have a chance moving forward.

For those who received the recommendation of admission email how long did it take for Graduate admission to also accept you? Also how did you officially hold your seat - by registering for classes?

For those who received the recommendation of admission email how long did it take for Graduate admission to also accept you? Also how did you officially hold your seat - by registering for classes?
It took the graduate school about a week to formally accept my recommendation

Accepted on Friday. Is anyone planning to stay on campus?

Hello, I'll be starting the pre-professional program this August.

To current students - do any of the professors have exams on the week of Thanksgiving or the Monday after Thanksgiving? I was thinking about not going to class on the Wednesday before and the Monday after Thanksgiving since I'll be flying out, but I don't want to buy my plane ticket and find out that there's an exam on one of those days. Any information concerning the exam schedule or grading would be excellent.

Oh, my stats
Submitted 2/17/15, Received 2/19/15, Accepted 3/05/15
GPA - 3.06, GRE - 163Q/158V, 2800 Patient Care Hours as a Medical Assistant.

To all of those attending, I look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks!!

Hello, I'll be starting the pre-professional program this August.

To current students - do any of the professors have exams on the week of Thanksgiving or the Monday after Thanksgiving? I was thinking about not going to class on the Wednesday before and the Monday after Thanksgiving since I'll be flying out, but I don't want to buy my plane ticket and find out that there's an exam on one of those days. Any information concerning the exam schedule or grading would be excellent.

Oh, my stats
Submitted 2/17/15, Received 2/19/15, Accepted 3/05/15
GPA - 3.06, GRE - 163Q/158V, 2800 Patient Care Hours as a Medical Assistant.

To all of those attending, I look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks!!

No test's the week of Thanksgiving but you may have the possibility of having a test the following week. As far as lecture goes, yes there are classes the week of Thanksgiving but it doesn't really matter if you are there or not as they are all recorded and available to you online the same day.

Accepted! PM me to get stats.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be attending the preprofessional program in the fall. I did my undegrad at USF. I had plans to move in a 2x2 student apartment with my friend but she is moving back home and is looking for someone to take over her lease. If anyone is looking for a place to stay, let me know please!