West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its been over 2 weeks since my primary has been verified and I have no received a secondary. Should I contact them?
the cycle has been running since June... they receive close to 6000 applications, 2 weeks at this point in time is probably not a long wait. But you can always call and just ask them if they have looked at your application yet. They are very friendly!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewing goes on until mid Spring. Wait until the end of May to give up, and then reapply earlier next cycle. One of the mistakes prospective students make is not submitting their packets soon enough. WVSOM gets upwards of six thousand applications a year, and that's a lot of paperwork to slog through. People who apply early (July) will have their paperwork at the top of that pile and are more likely to get an earlier response. That said, people who interview on the last day of interviews still get accepted.

As for what to expect, there will be roughly eight applicants interviewing each day; four in the morning, four in the afternoon. You'll be able to chat with the other interviewees while you wait. The actual interview is a three-on-one, with the applicant being asked questions from one science faculty (PhD), one clinical faculty (DO/MD), and one admissions officer. As interviews go, it is very relaxed. Questions usually come from the information you've provided.
We had 10 students in our interview group just in the morning...

Reactions: 1 user
Do they make you fill out a bunch of health, vaccination forms after you get accepted or is that just me?

Yes, this is standard practice. There is a lot of information that has to be filled out.

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received an II although my checklist was updated (it is also still before noon), but I think there is a little bit of confusion surrounding the notion an updated checklist=II.

I think that's only valid in the circumstance that an individual sent their letters through AACOMAS (or other online sources). For people who send in their letters through a packet in the mail i think the checklist just updates to reflect that and doesn't necessarily mean you will receive an II.

Interviewing goes on until mid Spring. Wait until the end of May to give up, and then reapply earlier next cycle. One of the mistakes prospective students make is not submitting their packets soon enough. WVSOM gets upwards of six thousand applications a year, and that's a lot of paperwork to slog through. People who apply early (July) will have their paperwork at the top of that pile and are more likely to get an earlier response. That said, people who interview on the last day of interviews still get accepted.

As for what to expect, there will be roughly eight applicants interviewing each day; four in the morning, four in the afternoon. You'll be able to chat with the other interviewees while you wait. The actual interview is a three-on-one, with the applicant being asked questions from one science faculty (PhD), one clinical faculty (DO/MD), and one admissions officer. As interviews go, it is very relaxed. Questions usually come from the information you've provided.

Yeah, this is my second cycle. I got an interview last year in April so I know they can come late. Always submit my packets around July. Thanks for the information!!

Does anybody know applicant numbers for this school? (e.g. number applications, number interviewed, number accepted.)

Thanks

Does anybody know applicant numbers for this school? (e.g. number applications, number interviewed, number accepted.)

Thanks

Very rough numbers and I'm not EXACTLY sure, but I believe it's something like the following: 1,000 + applications per year, Interview ~500, accept ~ 200. Our class has 212 right now to be exact.

From what I understand, if you get an interview here and don't mess up too bad, your chance of acceptance is pretty high. I think 5/8 from my interview group got accepted.

If you get an interview, you're obviously qualified on the stats side. The school really wants to make sure you are a good FIT for the school. They value that highly here. They want their students to thrive and being a good fit for the school is an important part of that.

Last edited:
Withdrew my interview from this school. Good Luck to everyone, and hopefully my spot goes to someone who actually wants to go to this school!!

Does anyone know the average time it takes to hear back for an II upon being complete?

I have been done since October 1st and still haven't heard back.

Thank you! Do you mind sharing your stats (pm or public)?

I think I'm addicted to SDN. I need to just stay off and wait for schools to get back to me lol.

Thanks
During orientation week, we were told that there were 5000 applicants last year. I believe they interview around 500 and only 200 are accepted. That's pretty good odds once you get an interview considering not everyone who interviews or gets accepted will take a spot. Some decide to go to other schools! Good luck!

I know this is subjective to each person's perspective, but are there any specific clinical sites that are more popular than others?
Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is subjective to each person's perspective, but are there any specific clinical sites that are more popular than others?
Thanks

It varies every year, mostly because most people try and pick a site that's close to their home town. One year a particular site may be super popular, and the next year hardly anyone will sign up for it. In general, the Eastern region sites are pretty popular due to them being close to DC and some of them being affiliated with WVU.

I just got put on decision deferred:( is this pretty much a rejection? Has anyone gotten an II after being on des ion deferred .. I'm pretty bummed right now

I just got put on decision deferred:( is this pretty much a rejection? Has anyone gotten an II after being on des ion deferred .. I'm pretty bummed right now
When were u complete?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

During orientation week, we were told that there were 5000 applicants last year. I believe they interview around 500 and only 200 are accepted. That's pretty good odds once you get an interview considering not everyone who interviews or gets accepted will take a spot. Some decide to go to other schools! Good luck!
Thanks for the information (also @Tri4thlete ). I guess the real number is how many offers of acceptance must be offered each year to fill the ~200 seats for an incoming class. Is there a general rule for #offered per matriculant? Would love to visit WV sometime, it looks beautiful.

Decision deferred today post interview. Is this basically just a wait list? if so what's the chances of coming off of it?

Just got an interview today for the 17th of Dec yay!!!!

5000-6000 applications a year, 550 interviews, 300 acceptances offered, 210-220 students.

If you get an interview, better than 50% chance of being accepted

Accepted!!!!!!!!!!!! You guys can do it. Don't give up now.

I've been on decision deferred pre-interview for a few months now....is this pretty much a rejection or is there still hope? Do you think a letter of intent will help?

I've been on decision deferred pre-interview for a few months now....is this pretty much a rejection or is there still hope? Do you think a letter of intent will help?
Mine has been decision pending since late August...so not sure what any of it means!

Mine has been decision pending since late August...so not sure what any of it means!

i was in the same ordeal, been decision pending since august and got an interview invite 3 weeks ago, but had to decline

Its been over 3 weeks since I submitted my primary and still haven't received a secondary from here. Is their processing of applications much slower than other schools?

Hey guys! Ive been complete here since 11/18. 3.4. 3.4. 500. Pretty good ECs and volunteer and clinical. What do you think my chances are of recieving an II?

A few questions for anyone who has interviewed here... I'm interviewing Friday.

Can someone tell me the gist of interview day? I got the email with the information but obviously I'd like to hear more from students.
How long does it take to hear back?
Anything interesting about the university that I wouldn't be able to find online?
What kinds of questions in the interview, besides basic ones at all DO schools?

Thanks!!

I submitted over a month ago and still haven't gotten a secondary? Am I missing something?

A few questions for anyone who has interviewed here... I'm interviewing Friday.

Can someone tell me the gist of interview day? I got the email with the information but obviously I'd like to hear more from students.
How long does it take to hear back?
Anything interesting about the university that I wouldn't be able to find online?
What kinds of questions in the interview, besides basic ones at all DO schools?

Thanks!!

Hello!

I just interviewed here and loved this school! The interview was pretty relaxed, and everyone on admissions were very nice. Obvious questions to expect, why DO/WVSOM. But mainly they asked me to elaborate more about experiences and interests I had mentioned in my personal statement and secondary essays (so look those over!). Hard to say exactly what questions you'll get asked because they seem to tailor questions specific to each individual.
Also the SAE part isn't as scary as it sounds! It just gives them a chance to see another side of you, a part from what they'd see in an interview setting.
Something interesting, currently there is a student center under construction that sounds like it will be an awesome addition to this school!

As for hearing back, it seems like the consensus on this thread is about 2 weeks. I interviewed just before Thanksgiving so hoping to hear back soon. :)

It's a fun interview day, just be yourself. Best of luck!

Hello!

I just interviewed here and loved this school! The interview was pretty relaxed, and everyone on admissions were very nice. Obvious questions to expect, why DO/WVSOM. But mainly they asked me to elaborate more about experiences and interests I had mentioned in my personal statement and secondary essays (so look those over!). Hard to say exactly what questions you'll get asked because they seem to tailor questions specific to each individual.
Also the SAE part isn't as scary as it sounds! It just gives them a chance to see another side of you, a part from what they'd see in an interview setting.
Something interesting, currently there is a student center under construction that sounds like it will be an awesome addition to this school!

As for hearing back, it seems like the consensus on this thread is about 2 weeks. I interviewed just before Thanksgiving so hoping to hear back soon. :)

It's a fun interview day, just be yourself. Best of luck!
Thank you! I've had SAE's in the form of MMI's...I hate those! But they are pretty interesting at the same time. Good luck! I hope we both get in here.

What are SAEs?
Standardized applicant encounters. They basically give you a standardized patient in a certain situation and see how you deal with it. For example at AT SOMA last cycle I had three encounters. One was with a woman playing the part of a wife who asked her husband's doctor about his diagnosis. I had to explain HIPAA to her and the fact that I couldn't disclose his diagnosis to her. Pretty intense to be honest.

Standardized applicant encounters. They basically give you a standardized patient in a certain situation and see how you deal with it. For example at AT SOMA last cycle I had three encounters. One was with a woman playing the part of a wife who asked her husband's doctor about his diagnosis. I had to explain HIPAA to her and the fact that I couldn't disclose his diagnosis to her. Pretty intense to be honest.

So it's basically like ethical questions being acted out for us, if I'm understanding it correctly. I agree, it sounds pretty intense.

So it's basically like ethical questions being acted out for us, if I'm understanding it correctly. I agree, it sounds pretty intense.
I'm an first year at WVSOM. This school is great, and in an awesome little town! Don't lose sleep over this interview. They keep it very low stress. If you have a heart and any decent beside manner, you will do awesome on the standardized patient encounters. They just want to make sure you are patient oriented and will show compassion while using good communication skills. As for the individual interview, it is 3 faculty to one interviewee. They ask questions specific to you. Really they just want to get to know you, find out if this school is a good fit for you, and make sure you will be happy and succeed here. It's more of a conversation then an interview. This is the one interview you don't need to stress over. Get some rest and enjoy the experience! Oh, and have a question for them to show that you really are interested in the school, but make it sincere. Good luck!

Last edited:
I'm an first year at WVSOM. This school is great, and in an awesome little town! Don't lose sleep over this interview. They keep it very low stress. If you have a heart and any decent beside manner, you will do awesome on the standardized patient encounters. They just want to make sure you are patient oriented and will show compassion while using good communication skills. As for the individual interview, it is 3 faculty to one interviewee. They ask questions specific to you. Really they just want to get to know you, find out if this school is a good fit for you, and make sure you will be happy and succeed here. It's more of a conversation then an interview. This is the one interview you don't need to stress over. Get some rest and enjoy the experience! Oh, and have a question for them to show that you really are interested in the school, but make it sincere. Good luck!