West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm an first year at WVSOM. This school is great, and in an awesome little town! Don't lose sleep over this interview. They keep it very low stress. If you have a heart and any decent beside manner, you will do awesome on the standardized patient encounters. They just want to make sure you are patient oriented and will show compassion while using good communication skills. As for the individual interview, it is 3 faculty to one interviewee. They ask questions specific to you. Really they just want to get to know you, find out if this school is a good fit for you, and make sure you will be happy and succeed here. It's more of a conversation then an interview. This is the one interview you don't need to stress over. Get some rest and enjoy the experience! Oh, and have a question for them to show that you really are interested in the school, but make it sincere. Good luck!

Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful information

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be too late to submit a WVSOM secondary within the next couple of days? I am around WVSOM's average GPA but a slightly lower MCAT score than their average.

I'm OOS too.

Would it be too late to submit a WVSOM secondary within the next couple of days? I am around WVSOM's average GPA but a slightly lower MCAT score than their average.

I'm OOS too.

I'd say go for it. You don't have to pay for a secondary fee anyway until you get an interview. However, they were interviewing for the waitlist in Feburary last cycle. So the sooner the better.

For those applicant who receive decision deferred post interview what is the ratio of accepted vs rejected?

For those applicant who receive decision deferred post interview what is the ratio of accepted vs rejected?
Not sure on a ratio, but it isn't a bad thing. It means they liked you enough not to say no. There will still be a lot of movement and they still have you in the mix. Keep shadowing and doing other things to improve your application like research, volunteering (habitat for humanity is a good one), and if you get any awards etc. Then send the school an update occasionally with the new info. They like to see you are still working hard towards your goal and consistently involved in the community. Good luck!

ive been decision pending for a while, does this school do silent rejects?

ive been decision pending for a while, does this school do silent rejects?
I think they told me they send you a letter eventually. If it's been over 2 weeks, you can call them. I'm sure you know Kim is really nice and will let you know.

Interviewed: 12/1

Just checking, but that status means an acceptance right? I'm trying not to get my hopes up. ENGLISH IS MY SECOND LANGUAGE LOL.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed: 12/1

Just checking, but that status means an acceptance right? I'm trying not to get my hopes up. ENGLISH IS MY SECOND LANGUAGE LOL.

Yep, you're in! Congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
II just now...complete back in early Nov. 505MCAT 3.4c, 3.5sGPA. I'll be attending one of the dates in Jan.

Last edited:
Decision deferred....is this pretty much a rejection?

I'm OOS too.
I'm OOS and submitted it about a week ago. I received an II today. So fast lol. I say go for it!

Interviewed on 12/7
Accepted this morning
Wow, that was a faster response than expected.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 12/4, accepted today!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys. I was offered an interview but I'm having trouble finding a thread about airport, hotel stay, etc. Is anyone willing to let me PM them to ask some questions? Also, congrats to all of you who've been accepted!

Hi guys. I was offered an interview but I'm having trouble finding a thread about airport, hotel stay, etc. Is anyone willing to let me PM them to ask some questions? Also, congrats to all of you who've been accepted!

PM sent. For those that don't want to peruse the thread, I'm a second year and available to answer any questions you all have.

Interviewed 11/30. "Accepted applicant" status this morning! ☺️

Reactions: 2 users
So I am curious, how do the second year students prepare for the comlex 1? Does wvsom provide any prep materials or are the students on their own to sign up and get their own test prep material?

Does anyone know how they review apps, is it random or rolling

Decision Deferred today. Has anyone actually been denied pre-interview invite without decision deferred? Just curious if the default pre-interview is deferred vs. Denied.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Decision Deferred today. Has anyone actually been denied pre-interview invite without decision deferred? Just curious if the default pre-interview is deferred vs. Denied.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Im wondering the same thing /: can anyone speak to this???

For those deferred, do you mind sharing your stats? I'm still waiting on a decision

Interviewed on 12/7
Accepted this morning
Wow, that was a faster response than expected.
I interviewed then as well and was accepted two days ago for anyone looking at the time frame to hear back!

Last edited:
You can PM me if you want. I flew into Greensboro, NC and then drove up to Lewisburg....3 hours. I wouldn't really recommend it but I was told that was the easiest way to get there. There is a Lewisburg airport but a current resident who graduated from WVSOM told me never to use it lol. Other airports weren't giving me the return dates I wanted because they were super super small. I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Lewisburg.

So I am curious, how do the second year students prepare for the comlex 1? Does wvsom provide any prep materials or are the students on their own to sign up and get their own test prep material?

The school "gives" us 500$ to spend on whatever COMLEX Level 1 prep we want. The school also gives us a free subscription to COMBANK, which is a question bank. The best advice I can give on knowing what exam prep to purchase is to visit reddit.com/r/step1

Hello! I received an e-mail notification today that said my LOR had been uploaded to my profile. I have been in "decision pending" since 9/30. Is this a sign I may be offered an interview? Thanks!

Hello! I received an e-mail notification today that said my LOR had been uploaded to my profile. I have been in "decision pending" since 9/30. Is this a sign I may be offered an interview? Thanks!
There is a good chance! Rumor says yes, but it's always a debate on the SDN forum. All I can say is it was true for me!

Give the admissions office a call and ask about your status. I know a few people that called while decision pending and they offered them an interview while they were on the phone!

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all!

I'm a 1st year student at WVSOM with the Airbnb listing, "Private Bedroom, Downtown Lewisburg." So, if you're interviewing in the next couple of months, check it out. It's considerably less expensive than the hotels in town, I'll feed you breakfast and answer any questions you may have about the school and interview day.

Hello! I was just offered an interview which is very exciting. I have been accepted to LECOM-B and have sent in my deposit so I am just trying to decide if I would prefer this school over LECOM. From my research it seems like the students overall are happier at WVSOM than at LECOM, but I'm not sure it's worth the huge difference in tuition ($50K vs $30K) per year. Over 4 years with interest that is about a $150K difference.

I am intrigued by LECOM's PBL learning pathway but wonder if it is too extreme, and also question the motivation for it (is it more about the education quality or more about saving the school $$?) LECOM tout's the highest board scores in the country (averaged 1st or 2nd for the past 8 years according to their presentation at the interview).

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!

Hello! I was just offered an interview which is very exciting. I have been accepted to LECOM-B and have sent in my deposit so I am just trying to decide if I would prefer this school over LECOM. From my research it seems like the students overall are happier at WVSOM than at LECOM, but I'm not sure it's worth the huge difference in tuition ($50K vs $30K) per year. Over 4 years with interest that is about a $150K difference.

I am intrigued by LECOM's PBL learning pathway but wonder if it is too extreme, and also question the motivation for it (is it more about the education quality or more about saving the school $$?) LECOM tout's the highest board scores in the country (averaged 1st or 2nd for the past 8 years according to their presentation at the interview).

Thanks!

Congrats! Do you mind sharing when you were complete and when you were offered an II?

Thanks!
Congrats! I would probably stick with LECOM because of the 150K difference...I mean it doesn't seem like anything now but when you graduate and have an extra 150K to pay off, thats just life changing. I feel like both school have equal opportunities and you'll end up in the same place by either going to LECOM or WVSOM.. these are just my thoughts though!

Thanks!

Agreed, WVSOM is amazing, but save the money and attend LECOM.

Hey all, I was recently accepted to wvsom, I am OOS, and I haven't put down my deposit yet but will be doing so soon. I am wondering 1) does anyone know if the 2020 Facebook group is the correct group because a lot of those members seem to already go to wvsom? And 2) how long do we have after being accepted before we must return the health check and other paperwork? Thank you so much for any help!!

Last edited:
Hey all, I was recently accepted to wvsom, I am OOS, and I haven't put down my deposit yet but will be doing so soon. I am wondering 1) does anyone know if the 2020 Facebook group is the correct group because a lot of those members seem to already go to wvsom? And 2) how long do we have after being accepted before we must return the health check and other paperwork? Thank you so much for any help!!

That's probably the right group. People from other classes like to join the Facebook groups. I'm in both the 2018 and 2019 Facebook group.

Give them a call and ask when they want it in, but just get it done right away that way you don't have to think about it. I think it's just due before you matriculate.

Has anyone that was put on hold pre Interiew been offered and II? Or is this a rejection pretty much. Can anyone speak to this or give me some advice ? Is the admissions office receptive to interest emails ?

Has anyone that was put on hold pre Interiew been offered and II? Or is this a rejection pretty much. Can anyone speak to this or give me some advice ? Is the admissions office receptive to interest emails ?
I've been on pre-interview hold for 2 months now. I've sent three emails to the admissions committee updating them with my grades, volunteer accomplishments, ect....I don't know if you got an email explaining why you were placed on hold (I did) but I made sure to speak to those shortcomings in every email. They've told me to update my AACOMAS app ASAP on January 1st.

From what I've read, it can go either way. The admissions officers are very approachable and as long as you don't bombard them, I think it can't hurt.

Hey guys can you share the email to admission at WVSOM?
Thank You!

if i wanted to send in my updated transcript i would send it to AACOMAS not the individual schools right?