West Virginia (WVSOM) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if i wanted to send in my updated transcript i would send it to AACOMAS not the individual schools right?

I'd send it to AACOMAS so it can get officially processed by them, but you could always send the school an email updating them with your grades (and any other work, volunteer experiences that are new).

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am interviewing here January 25th. Does anyone know if there are spots available?
Also, any hotel recommendations?

Thanks!

Hi, I am interviewing here January 25th. Does anyone know if there are spots available?

Thanks!

Fairfield Inn and Suites ---> probably the best place to stay, also most expensive.

Holiday Inn Express ---> Nice hotel, decent price

Super 8 ---> It's a Super 8, but it's pretty cheap.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!
There was a current student offering a room on airbnb. You should look into that.

Received an II recently... Does anyone know if a return flight at 5:00 PM on interview day is cutting it too close? I have no clue how traffic, road conditions, etc are from Lewisburg to Charleston/Yeager!

Last edited:
Received an II recently... Does anyone know if a return flight at 5:00 PM on interview day is cutting it too close? I have no clue how traffic, road conditions, etc are from Lewisburg to Charleston/Yeager!

What time does your interview day end? They've changed the itinerary since I've interviewed so I'm not sure.

My flight out of Charleston was 5:45 after the interview ending at 2. I made it no problem, there was no traffic. Hardly any people on the road and its a very small airport. You do have to drive through the mountains so if there was any snow it could be a problem maybe

Reactions: 1 user
What time does your interview day end? They've changed the itinerary since I've interviewed so I'm not sure.
The day ends with a campus tour from 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM.

My flight out of Charleston was 5:45 after the interview ending at 2. I made it no problem, there was no traffic. Hardly any people on the road and its a very small airport. You do have to drive through the mountains so if there was any snow it could be a problem maybe
Ah... Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it. I think I am going to roll with my 5:00 PM flight because otherwise I leave the next day.

The day ends with a campus tour from 1:00 PM - 2:00 PM.

Ah... Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it. I think I am going to roll with my 5:00 PM flight because otherwise I leave the next day.

Ya you should be fine, as long as the weather cooperates.

Which airport would be best to fly into from chicago? WV one or Virginia?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone moved off decision deferred?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Which airport would be best to fly into from chicago? WV one or Virginia?

Check either Charleston, WV airport or Roanoke, VA airport. For me, Roanoke is usually cheaper but it depends where you fly from. They are equidistant from Lewisburg, but Charleston route has 2 tolls.

For those who interviewed, how was the general atmosphere of Lewisburg? Were the locals friendly and welcoming?

Declined interview. Hope one of you guys get it! FYI the earliest date they offered was Feb 1st.

Good luck to everyone interviewing Monday!

Is anyone who's interviewed this cycle willing to let me PM them? I am interviewing this Friday and have a few general questions about the interview process.

whats the email for admissions if I want to email them updates to my application?

whats the email for admissions if I want to email them updates to my application?
go to the admissions website and e-mail one of the program coordinators which are shown the lower right hand side of the page.

II just now...complete back in early Nov. 505MCAT 3.4c, 3.5sGPA. I'll be attending one of the dates in Jan. Honestly, not sure how I feel about this school:

Negs that I see...
- Wicked high tuition for OOS
- Almost certainly pigneonholed into primary care?
- Rural

What is the quality of education like?
Are there positives?

I'll gladly take your spot if you don't want it..

For anyone that's made the trip to Lewisburg, would you say the drive is easier from Roanoke or from Charleston? Taking into account weather, time, route, etc.

Depends on a few factors. The route from Charleston to Lewisburg is pretty much a straight shot on the interstate (I-64). However, there are two tolls on the way costing $2 each.

Roanoke to Lewisburg doesn't have any tolls, but you have to take two different roads, highway 220 and then hop onto I-64. If you have a GPS that shouldn't be an issue at all. Personally my wife and I always fly out of Roanoke. It's a beautiful drive either way and they are pretty much equidistant so you can't go wrong.

Where do people stay for interviews when visiting WVSOM?

Super 8 - cheapest option, decent hotel

Fairfield Inn and Suites - more expensive, but new and really nice.

Holiday Inn Express - in the middle as far as price goes, nice hotel.

If you traverse this forum, one of the students is also renting out a room on airbnb

ACCEPTED! :clap: congrats everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any insight regarding the SAEs? I've read multiple times that the interview, itself, is pretty low stress, but I haven't seen much of anything about the SAEs. Are we expected to know anything specific?

Does anyone have any insight regarding the SAEs? I've read multiple times that the interview, itself, is pretty low stress, but I haven't seen much of anything about the SAEs. Are we expected to know anything specific?
No one can say anything specific but I was worried too and it turned out to be fun and just a cool way for them to see you in a different light. I would not stress just be yourself.

Hey guys I have recently been accepted to wvsom and have put down my first deposit. I am from out of state and this would be a decently far move for me away from home, friends, family, boyfriend etc. I am looking to talk to any first or second year students who moved from out of state as well without knowing anyone. I just would love to hear about the experience and get some advice! I am waiting on one other school's decision and believe I may have to decide between being super close to home and being far away at wvsom, a program that I absolutely love! Message me if you possibly know someone who did this or if you did :) thank you in advanced anything is appreciated!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I have recently been accepted to wvsom and have put down my first deposit. I am from out of state and this would be a decently far move for me away from home, friends, family, boyfriend etc. I am looking to talk to any first or second year students who moved from out of state as well without knowing anyone. I just would love to hear about the experience and get some advice! I am waiting on one other school's decision and believe I may have to decide between being super close to home and being far away at wvsom, a program that I absolutely love! Message me if you possibly know someone who did this or if you did :) thank you in advanced anything is appreciated!

Second year here, moved from MN, I'll PM you.

I've been looking through the thread but my phone keeps skipping pages.
Can anyone say if the uploading of your Rec letters means a II?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been looking through the thread but my phone keeps skipping pages.
Can anyone say if the uploading of your Rec letters means a II?

Thanks!

Yes, congrats!!!

If this comes true I'd lose my mind lol.
Well, time to hit refresh and check my email every 15 minutes for the rest of the day!

II!!!
I received the email yet my portal hasn't changed lol.
Super excited!

Can't wait to see everyone in the fall :)

This school is awesome, and you won't regret moving. The community, the student body, and faculty will make you feel at home from day one. That being said, my personal opinion is that if you can pay in state (or significantly less tuition) somewhere else then do it. Pretty much any school will get you where you need to be and if you can avoid massive amounts of debt it's worth it. If the problem is being away from family, then remember that you aren't going to see them much anyways (even if you live in the same city) because you will be crazy busy! There are always holiday breaks and airplanes!

Reactions: 1 users
Just got II. So late! Any hope for interview?

Do you mean, any hope for acceptance? lol

I'm from MD and have been complete since mid September. I sent them an email in early December asking about the status of app since I hadn't heard a peep from them and they said they're still working through apps. Still haven't heard anything since that. Does this school do silent rejections? Getting kinda worried since it's been more than 4 months since I was complete.

Would someone be willing to share their experience with Decision Deferred? I'm wondering how likely it will be before a decision is actually made.

Congratz to all those who have been accepted so far! Looking forward to meeting you next fall :)

My question is: My parents are really pushing for me to try and become a WV resident so I can get that in-state tuition (OMG so much money saved). Has anyone ever been successful at this? Can you start with out of state tuition and then switch to in state later on in your education/year?

/If I called and talked to a financial aid person at wvsom would they be horribly offended at the idea of me trying to do this? Thanks!