Western C/O 2017 Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do y'all know what this gal wants on New Years Eve- AN INTERVIEW INVITE :) That is all.

That would be the best new year's gift ever! But I'm also thinking we won't hear till after January 7th since they're closed for winter break till then? Hopefully we will hear before that!!:xf:

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question, is the Western Interview an individual 1 on 1 interview or a group interview? I noticed everyone had a different experience.

I believe its one person and 2 interviewers. And its blind :thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is blind bad? Because you may be a better candidate but not great at interviews?

I personally don't like the idea of having only 30 minutes to sell yourself to 2 people that know less than nothing about you. Doesn't seem completely fair to me, but we'll see how it goes :xf:

Why is blind bad? Because you may be a better candidate but not great at interviews?
I'm not a big fan of blind.... Very hard to sell yourself completely in a short amount of time.... At least it was hard at Ohio State with only 30 min. But schools that do blind interviews told me it was to make it fair across the board for every interviewer.

I havent heard ANYTHING from western since october!!! Whats going on? (rhetorical question)... I understand that they are going through things one-by-one... but I am starting to feel impatient :/

I'm in the same situation!

Getting antsy since I haven't heard anything since getting my "in review" email in November. Does anybody think they might be sending out a bunch of interveiw invites on the 7th when the campus re-opens?

Getting antsy since I haven't heard anything since getting my "in review" email in November. Does anybody think they might be sending out a bunch of interveiw invites on the 7th when the campus re-opens?

This is what I'm hoping for us all!! :xf: I'm thinking the 7th or probably by the end of the week?

Yeah, I'm gonna go nuts. I haven't heard anything either since when I applied. Hang in there:xf:

Really hoping for some good news from Western soon after this rough "rejection xmas break"!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Really hoping for some good news from Western soon after this rough "rejection xmas break"!!

Ugh I know what you mean CS...the Cornell rejection was rough. Oh well hopefully the New Year will bring us better news :luck::xf:

Ugh I know what you mean CS...the Cornell rejection was rough. Oh well hopefully the New Year will bring us better news :luck::xf:
I have my fingers crossed for us!! Maybe we were meant to be in the Cali sunshine for the next four years ;)

I have my fingers crossed for us!! Maybe we were meant to be in the Cali sunshine for the next four years ;)

Sounds awesome to me. This Upstate NY winter is rough! Keeping my fingers crossed for ya :xf:

I just joined SDN and have been trying to catch up on all the threads for interviews. Does anyone have any advice on preparing for these behavioral based interviews? I'm pretty nervous since I've only done the traditional interviews until this point, and I'm not sure how to prepare for the other schools with the behavioral based interview format.

So I realize we already applied, but the more I sit around and wait I wonder about the upper division physiology pre-requisite. Just out of curiosity...what was everyone's physiology course level? Many surrounding universities did not offer an upper division phys course. Thoughts?

So I realize we already applied, but the more I sit around and wait I wonder about the upper division physiology pre-requisite. Just out of curiosity...what was everyone's physiology course level? Many surrounding universities did not offer an upper division phys course. Thoughts?

Mine was in the 200s, but it was listed as an acceptable course in their prerequisite database. Did you check there? They seem to be very picky about their classes, but if you're curious/ unsure you can always send in the verification form.

I took a 100 level sequence and they don't accept it so I am taking a 200 level course in the spring. Sending the verification form or syllabus, as TrueFaith said, would be a good bet. I did that for the communication class after emailing Lacey back and forth back in September.

Mine was a 3000 level comparative animal physiology class. They didn't accept my 1000 level anatomys

Good call on the pre-req database. I checked it but my University isn't listed unfortunately. Good to hear your responses though. It seems as though something higher than a 100 or 1000 (depending on the school) is acceptable. I'll keep my fingers crossed! Thanks guys and good luck with the rest of this cycle

Just an update, I emailed Karen the other day to let her know my fall grades were on their way and she said that those and some other info that I had been asked for over the holiday break would be given to the admissions committee by the end of the week.
So my guess is that they're catching up on files this week?

Not that I'm obsessing or anything :scared:

Last edited:
Do we need to send our fall grades? I haven't received any emails from western since I applied...

Nobody has recieved an invite in January? I thought I heard a rumor about all interview invites being out by jan 21st. I wonder if that means we are also told if we are officially rejected (not given an interview) at the same time or if we are left in limbo until all the interviews are done.

So I recently checked my online status and learned that they had never received my transcript even though I personally emailed it to Karen. Apparently it had just fallen through the cracks.

Karen checked on it and put my file up for review. She said that adcom will look at it at their next meeting "next week" which is now this upcoming week. Hope this helps.

So they are still making decisions.

So I recently checked my online status and learned that they had never received my transcript even though I personally emailed it to Karen. Apparently it had just fallen through the cracks.

Karen checked on it and put my file up for review. She said that adcom will look at it at their next meeting "next week" which is now this upcoming week. Hope this helps.

So they are still making decisions.

How do you check your online status?

It wasn't really that. It just says if your application is complete and what's missing.

Good call on the pre-req database. I checked it but my University isn't listed unfortunately. Good to hear your responses though. It seems as though something higher than a 100 or 1000 (depending on the school) is acceptable. I'll keep my fingers crossed! Thanks guys and good luck with the rest of this cycle

If the class isn't listed in the database I think the admissions committee needs to read the syllabus to get an idea of what you covered in the course and how it matches up with their requirement. I had a similar issue as you this application cycle -- I took a physiology course but it wasn't in the pre-req database. I e-mailed the course syllabus to Karen and asked if the course could be reviewed and added to the database, and after a week or so of review Western approved it and now it's listed there.

That said I think you're probably okay. The last time I applied (2009), I had an upper division bio class that I thought was listed but actually wasn't. My counselor e-mailed me early November and let me know that the class didn't satisfy the requirement and that I would need to take another one by June in order for my application to be complete. It sounds like you didn't get an e-mail like that so hopefully that means all is well!

Last edited:
Yes how can I do that? I want to make sure nothing is missing

I don't have the link since I'm on my phone but I log on to the secondary application and click Fall 2013 application. Then you can see a list of all the materials they've received and the date received.

I don't have the link since I'm on my phone but I log on to the secondary application and click Fall 2013 application. Then you can see a list of all the materials they've received and the date received.

Thank you! :)

I spoke to admissions today regarding the email "your application is ready for review" and interviews and here is the info she gave me. I thought I would pass it along so we all get some peace of mind :)

She said all applications are reviewed by a faculty member and there are over 600 applications and only about 200 people reviewing. Therefore, some people's applications are still waiting to be assigned to a faculty member to review. You will receive the email above when your application has been assigned to someone. That is why some people may have not gotten that email yet.

Some faculty members review quickly, others take their time. They then decide if the person should be invited for an interview, needs more consideration, or not for the program this year. There is no method in deciding who's applications get assigned and reviewed first. There will probably be 12 interview dates (the first being 12/15) and we should hear something about the status of our application by mid-January (interview invite, rejection, etc.) so don't worry until then if you don't hear anything, but feel free to check in if you want.

I felt a lot better after speaking to her; I'm hoping this info will help any of you that were kind of stressing. Good luck everyone!! :luck:

Just wanted to say thanks for this info. Seeing it made me feel better too!

Just got an email update and my application is on hold :/ crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!

Just got an email update and my application is on hold :/ crossing my fingers and hoping for the best!
Omg... Did you ask them your status or did they send that decision to you?? I'm so scared now :( :(

They emailed, without me having to ask. The email also stated I will get updates every month about my status until final decisions have been made.

Sooo nerve wracking! Hope I get an interview!

They emailed, without me having to ask. The email also stated I will get updates every month about my status until final decisions have been made.

Sooo nerve wracking! Hope I get an interview!

Whoa! Once a month?! How long are these holds supposed to last?!

Whoa! Once a month?! How long are these holds supposed to last?!

Just until they make a decision on your application. I'm guessing if they keep the hold as long as possible, it could go until March or April?

Same here. I wonder if they are waiting to review fall grades before they make a decision.
At least its not a 'NO'

I got put on hold yesterday too. My impression from the e-mail is that hold means they looked at the application but didn't make a decision yet so they're leaving it on hold while they figure out the others.

cs5910: my hold e-mail came on Monday, and on Sunday I sent an e-mail about my Fall transcript being on the way but I think it was just a coincidence since a couple others got the hold e-mail too. Since more came today, I bet that will mean more will come tomorrow and the rest of the week so let's all keep our fingers crossed!!

I got put on hold yesterday too. My impression from the e-mail is that hold means they looked at the application but didn't make a decision yet so they're leaving it on hold while they figure out the others.

cs5910: my hold e-mail came on Monday, and on Sunday I sent an e-mail about my Fall transcript being on the way but I think it was just a coincidence since a couple others got the hold e-mail too. Since more came today, I bet that will mean more will come tomorrow and the rest of the week so let's all keep our fingers crossed!!

I keep searching their website but I can't find where it says that we need to send our fall transcripts, but should I send my fall transcripts? It seems like a few of you have

I keep searching their website but I can't find where it says that we need to send our fall transcripts, but should I send my fall transcripts? It seems like a few of you have

I sent them in since the email they sent when my app went out for review said to submit fall transcripts. Figured it couldn't hurt (I hope) :D