Western U - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hahaha, I wonder why so many people are irritated by my avatar? I just looked for someone with a surprised look on the face and slapped the text up there for a homemade meme. :-( It's better than xlcooplx's avatar:

xlcooplx

Members don't see this ad.

Hahaha, I wonder why so many people are irritated by my avatar? I just looked for someone with a surprised look on the face and slapped the text up there for a homemade meme. :-( It's better than xlcooplx's avatar:

xlcooplx

Oh, noo!... pls, keep your avatar.. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
YESSSS!! Got the call earlier this morning!!

Scheduled for October 20th. They told me there was an open spot for THIS Monday due to a cancellation...but I didn't take it because Western is one of my top choices and I want to go in being as prepared as possible...I just didn't think that 3 days would have been adequate. Idk, talking to my friends and my mom about it later makes me feel as if I've made a huge mistake by choosing the date in October though :(...

Oh yeah, and I was complete around mid-August

Scheduled for October 20th. They told me there was an open spot for THIS Monday due to a cancellation...but I didn't take it because Western is one of my top choices and I want to go in being as prepared as possible...I just didn't think that 3 days would have been adequate. Idk, talking to my friends and my mom about it later makes me feel as if I've made a huge mistake by choosing the date in October though :(...

Nah, all in all, it won't affect your acceptance other than giving you more time to prepare. It's still very early in the season. Congrats and good luck!

Congrats!!! I think you could have been ready for Monday after prepping this weekend and since you've done a few interviews already. And wow they call early! Maybe call to reschedule if you think it's a mistake. It's probably not too late!

My last letters were received earlier than yours, so I think they passed on my app already. :(

I'm also interviewing on the 20th of October. And that was me who cancelled.

Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it!

My last letters were received earlier than yours, so I think they passed on my app already. :(

Have you checked your online portal to make sure they aren't missing anything? I sent in my letters but found out that one of them didn't meet a requirement, so I had to send in another one in its place.

I'm also interviewing on the 20th of October. And that was me who cancelled.

Haha what a small world. If you don't mind me asking, how come you postponed to the 20th?

Thanks for the support guys, I appreciate it!

Have you checked your online portal to make sure they aren't missing anything? I sent in my letters but found out that one of them didn't meet a requirement, so I had to send in another one in its place.

I contacted them to inquire and they said my app was complete and sent in to adcom to be reviewed on Aug 20-something. I'm not sure if it's 4-6 weeks between when we were complete based on letters or when we are reviewed. In either case, it's been about 4 weeks for me now. Would it be awkward if I called in and said, "Hey, I heard there's an opening on Monday...I'm available! *nudge nudge*" Haha jk I wouldn't do that......

Haha what a small world. If you don't mind me asking, how come you postponed to the 20th?

Forgot to look at plane tickets until a week before my scheduled date, and by then, the tickets were too expensive for me to justify interviewing a few weeks earlier, especially with all the money I'm already spending on interviews. The earliest available date they had was October 20 so I went with that.

I contacted them to inquire and they said my app was complete and sent in to adcom to be reviewed on Aug 20-something. I'm not sure if it's 4-6 weeks between when we were complete based on letters or when we are reviewed. In either case, it's been about 4 weeks for me now. Would it be awkward if I called in and said, "Hey, I heard there's an opening on Monday...I'm available! *nudge nudge*" Haha jk I wouldn't do that......

I wouldn't worry just yet then. Looking through some old emails, my file was sent to the adcom August 14th-ish and they just got back to me today. You probably have at least another week until you hear anything!

Forgot to look at plane tickets until a week before my scheduled date, and by then, the tickets were too expensive for me to justify interviewing a few weeks earlier, especially with all the money I'm already spending on interviews. The earliest available date they had was October 20 so I went with that.

Ohh gotcha. Well if you (or anyone else interviewing on Oct. 20th) want to hang out or grab dinner the night before, I'll be game.

I wouldn't worry just yet then. Looking through some old emails, my file was sent to the adcom August 14th-ish and they just got back to me today. You probably have at least another week until you hear anything!

Ohh gotcha. Well if you (or anyone else interviewing on Oct. 20th) want to hang out or grab dinner the night before, I'll be game.

I can suggest some places. We did this for our interview and it was really fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do DO schools have to wait till Oct 15 to send out acceptances like MD schools? Has it been 2 weeks since the first group of interviews? I got mine 10 days after my interview, but I interviewed early November.

Do DO schools have to wait till Oct 15 to send out acceptances like MD schools? Has it been 2 weeks since the first group of interviews? I got mine 10 days after my interview, but I interviewed early November.

No they do not, but it has been 13 days since we interviewed. I'm hoping the decision letter comes today because I know the committee met last Thursday. :xf:

No they do not, but it has been 13 days since we interviewed. I'm hoping the decision letter comes today because I know the committee met last Thursday. :xf:

Gotcha. While they won't tell you the result on the phone, you can call them and ask if a decision has been made for you, and to ask when letters will be mailed. I did that and the lady was nice enough to hint that I would have good news, but the hinting depends on who you talk to. Good luck!!

I have been starring out my window at the mailbox like a madman....

I have been starring out my window at the mailbox like a madman....

I can just picture all of us doing that. Yesterday, I was waiting for my mailman to come and then blinked and the mail was there but the mailman was gone. Veeeery sneaky...

Update:
Just checked and it didn't come today...

yay...finallly!! Congrats!:)

I talked to one of the admissions counselors today. She said that the committee had finalized their decisions yesterday for those of us who interviewed two weeks ago (September 8th). She said that letters would probably be sent out around Wednesday of next week. So try not to neurotically check your mailboxes (like I had been doing) for the next couple days and enjoy the weekend :).

I talked to one of the admissions counselors today. She said that the committee had finalized their decisions yesterday for those of us who interviewed two weeks ago (September 8th). She said that letters would probably be sent out around Wednesday of next week. So try not to neurotically check your mailboxes (like I had been doing) for the next couple days and enjoy the weekend :).

THANK YOU!!! I called a few times and they didn't answer, but this alleviates a lot of the uncertainty.

Thanks! I hope you hear back soon :)

I hope so, but honestly I am starting to take this school off my top school list. Just don't want it to hurt so badly IF they decide to never get back to me.

Phone goes off with an email. Email is from WesternU. I start freaking out before realizing, they call people for interviews. Start freaking out (the bad way, like it's a rejection). Turns out, it's just a WesternU recruitment email titled "WesternU is coming to your area!"

Sonofa....

within couple of days

you should have called the school to make sure everything was in order and that your file was complete. i think part of their app has to do with being on top of all the required materails

keep m updated on how thigns go
So I submitted my letters via interfolio. They were delivered on 9/17. They're still not marked as received. How long do you think I should wait before calling, 9/25?

So I submitted my letters via interfolio. They were delivered on 9/17. They're still not marked as received. How long do you think I should wait before calling, 9/25?

Yes, do that. I e-mailed them after my interfolio account said the letters were sent. They checked for them and updated my account. This allowed me to be complete much faster. I was complete by 7/11, I think. DO IT!

Yes, do that. I e-mailed them after my interfolio account said the letters were sent. They checked for them and updated my account. This allowed me to be complete much faster. I was complete by 7/11, I think. DO IT!
Perfect, just the response I needed! Which email did you use? Thank you so much!

Perfect, just the response I needed! Which email did you use? Thank you so much!

I believe I just e-mailed my counselor. It depends on the first letter of your last name. Just check the admissions contact info page. No problem! Good luck!

I had a similar delay with the Lebanon campus. When I called, they told me that it could take up to ten days to upload letters from Interfolio. Give them a few more days to process them after that. If Interfolio sent them, then COMP has them.

You will do fine. Relax.

dsoz

I had a similar delay with the Lebanon campus. When I called, they told me that it could take up to ten days to upload letters from Interfolio. Give them a few more days to process them after that. If Interfolio sent them, then COMP has them.

You will do fine. Relax.

dsoz
Alright, I guess I'll wait until 9/27. Thanks guys!

my application supposedly went to adcom a few weeks ago. complete since end of august. How concerned should I be?

30-32 mcat, 3.55 gpa

my application supposedly went to adcom a few weeks ago. complete since end of august. How concerned should I be?

30-32 mcat, 3.55 gpa
It's still super early. I'd give it a bit. Those stats are right up this school's alley. :) Good luck!

So I think I was the only person on SDN who interviewed today out of the 40 or so people in our group. :laugh:

The school really blew me away, I liked everything about it save for maybe the location, but Pomona certainly wouldn't turn me off of the school. The location could be a lot worse IMO.

I really liked the OMM demonstration, I think it really gave me a lot more insight to what OMM actually is because although I have seen manipulations before I have never been told what was actually happening etc... during the procedure. The demonstrator was really great and has really added to my positive outlook on the use of OMM.

The students all seem really happy with COMP, the only flaw that the seemed to cite was the area, and then proceed to say it isn't all that bad anyway since they live in Claremont, etc...

One of the presenters also talked about cooperative learning among the different colleges, basically you might have a small group with DVM, OD, DMD or other health students working through something that may require all of their skills. I really thought this was really cool because I think it will kind of help prepare you for those times that you need to consult colleagues from other disciplines and learn to work together as a team.

The interview itself, I think went well at least a lot better than my first one. Obviously as others have said I cannot talk about the MMI but I thought it was really cool and I think I was a lot more nervous for it than I needed to be; it was actually kind of fun. The 30min panel really flew by and I had a great time.

I really could see myself here next year and I would love to get an acceptance here in 10-15 days.

I find it funny how each school tries to sell you on their program, but once you actually are a student there it's totally different, and nothing like the fairy tale they show you lol.. I am basing this off of what many friends have told me from experience.

true

So I think I was the only person on SDN who interviewed today out of the 40 or so people in our group. :laugh:

The school really blew me away, I liked everything about it save for maybe the location, but Pomona certainly wouldn't turn me off of the school. The location could be a lot worse IMO.

I really liked the OMM demonstration, I think it really gave me a lot more insight to what OMM actually is because although I have seen manipulations before I have never been told what was actually happening etc... during the procedure. The demonstrator was really great and has really added to my positive outlook on the use of OMM.

The students all seem really happy with COMP, the only flaw that the seemed to cite was the area, and then proceed to say it isn't all that bad anyway since they live in Claremont, etc...

One of the presenters also talked about cooperative learning among the different colleges, basically you might have a small group with DVM, OD, DMD or other health students working through something that may require all of their skills. I really thought this was really cool because I think it will kind of help prepare you for those times that you need to consult colleagues from other disciplines and learn to work together as a team.

The interview itself, I think went well at least a lot better than my first one. Obviously as others have said I cannot talk about the MMI but I thought it was really cool and I think I was a lot more nervous for it than I needed to be; it was actually kind of fun. The 30min panel really flew by and I had a great time.

I really could see myself here next year and I would love to get an acceptance here in 10-15 days.

Thanks for your experience. I'm definitely looking forward to getting an ii here.

i am a little baffled. did they show you anything else? ie simulation lab, research lab, or anatomy lab? do they have nice new space for those things? how are the teacher approach ability there? after c-ing CCOM, i am so totally spoiled and afraid that nothing is going to be good compared to dissecting while looking at sears tower

I was there!

In fact, I think I met you, unless there was another guy there from New Mexico. You had previously interviewed at AZCOM, right?

I didn't come off with such a positive impression as you did, and that's probably because our campus tour was lacking. We didn't get to see much due to time constraints, so I really could not form a good impression on the facilities.

MMI was fine. Not as stressful as some of the other MMI I have done... in fact, now that I think about it, it was pretty easy.

My interview didn't go as well as I would have liked to; part of that was probably because my interviewers were hard to read. Also, I wasn't super nervous, so I think I was too informal throughout the interview, which I hope will not work against me when my file is reviewed.

Western was my top DO choice, but now? I'm not so sure anymore.

Last edited:
I've been complete since late july and haven't heard back. Is it pretty much over for me?

i am a little baffled. did they show you anything else? ie simulation lab, research lab, or anatomy lab? do they have nice new space for those things? how are the teacher approach ability there? after c-ing CCOM, i am so totally spoiled and afraid that nothing is going to be good compared to dissecting while looking at sears tower

I figured I didn't want to repeat a whole bunch of information already on the thread. We did get to see the anatomy lab but it was just a quick glance, honestly have no idea what to look for in an anatomy lab so I cannot really say whether it was good or bad. The one downside is your group will not be the only one working on a body, the faculty and students seem to think that it isn't a big deal though.

We got to see the standardized patient rooms, which were what you would expect. I'm not entirely sure if there are sim labs, there was no mention of it now that I think about it in any of the presentations, and our tour didn't stop by any. Maybe a current student can comment?

The DO building is a really nice new building at the top of the campus. The anatomy and OMM labs are down in an older building (which I assume was COMP before the school started expending) which is now mostly PA's and DPT's.

I was there!

In fact, I think I met you, unless there was another guy there from New Mexico. You had previously interviewed at AZCOM, right?

Yup that's me! I think since it says you're from the pacific northwest I know who you are as well, I'm pretty sure we were in the same group for the day lol.

We did get to see the anatomy lab but it was just a quick glance, honestly have no idea what to look for in an anatomy lab so I cannot really say whether it was good or bad. The one downside is your group will not be the only one working on a body, the faculty and students seem to think that it isn't a big deal though.

We got to see the standardized patient rooms, which were what you would expect. I'm not entirely sure if there are sim labs, there was no mention of it now that I think about it in any of the presentations, and our tour didn't stop by any. Maybe a current student can comment?

The DO building is a really nice new building at the top of the campus. The anatomy and OMM labs are down in an older building (which I assume was COMP before the school started expending) which is now mostly PA's and DPT's.

Our anatomy lab has 40-50 cadavers. About 10 students per cadaver. These 10 students are split into group A and B, so 5 students per cadaver at a time. The group, say Group A, that dissects the day before would have a representative to teach group B at the beginning of Group B's lab.

Honestly, at first I was a little taken aback because I was spoiled from undergrad at UCLA and was used to having 3 students/cadaver and dissecting all the time. But now that I've been at Western for about 7 weeks, I don't mind sharing with another group at all. Technically we're one group of 10 students and you come to know the people in your group pretty well, just dissecting on different days. Being forced to teach each other turns out to be the best way to learn. Whatever stuff that I taught, I still remember! Labs are fun, but when you're in cadaver lab for 4 hours each session with formalin and all other wonderful smells, it'd be nice to not have to go every single day.

We have a sim lab that I walk past every day, but I'm not sure if DO students use it, so I can't comment on that.

I think DO students are spoiled being in the new building. I'm not complaining ;). OMM is really fun and enjoyable. It's like my PE class where I go and learn and have fun and take a break from Anatomy or other stressful classes.

I've been complete since late july and haven't heard back. Is it pretty much over for me?

Have you checked your banweb account? I spoke to admissions staff and they said 4-6 weeks after complete you should know whether you had an interview or not and to continue checking your online account you made.

CCOM's new anatomy lab is pretty awesome.

Been complete since mid-august! Biting my nails

You should hit the In-N-Out next to LAX on Sepulveda.

There are a lot better burger places around LA for burgers than In-N-Out. Eureka Burger, Back Abbey, The Apple Pan, Unami Burger, The Counter...

I might eat out too much. haha

There are a lot better burger places around LA for burgers than In-N-Out. Eureka Burger, Back Abbey, The Apple Pan, Unami Burger, The Counter...

*Umami

Also, the Habit

LoL, "And here we see mgill52's abundantly atherosclerotic arteries secondary to dietary indiscretion at such yummy places like Eureka Burger, Back Abbey, The Apple Pan, Umami Burger, and The Counter."