Western University - Pomona (COMP) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Those stats obviously beat out the avg matriculant for most, if not all, DO schools. So it's pretty much up to you to not fack it up on the personal statement/interview.

Edit: I hope you're not selling yourself short and only applying DO?
I just wasn't sure about their OOS bias, but I didn't realize they were private. And no, I'm applying to 8 MD and 3 DO. Check out my MDApps for the full list, but University of Washington is my top choice, and then the other 3 DO schools I'm applying to are next in line I think.

Members don't see this ad.

I just wasn't sure about their OOS bias, but I didn't realize they were private. And no, I'm applying to 8 MD and 3 DO. Check out my MDApps for the full list, but University of Washington is my top choice, and then the other 3 DO schools I'm applying to are next in line I think.
Right on. Best of Luck. The NW campus in Lebanon is a majority of Oregonians and Washingtonians in case you didn't know. It seems like most of the people I talk to are OHSU or UW rejects, including me. Nobody likes to admit it, but I only know of a handful of classmates that didn't get rejected by their state MD institution at least once before coming here.

Reactions: 1 user
Right on. Best of Luck. The NW campus in Lebanon is a majority of Oregonians and Washingtonians in case you didn't know. It seems like most of the people I talk to are OHSU or UW rejects, including me. Nobody likes to admit it, but I only know of a handful of classmates that didn't get rejected by their state MD institution at least once before coming here.
I considered adding the Lebanon campus for that reason. I'm working full time right now and paying out-of-pocket for the apps, so I'm not looking to throw too much money down the drain.

I'm really just hoping that I can get UW, and if not then PNU is my second choice. I have a letter of rec from a DO that teaches there, and it's in my hometown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Those stats obviously beat out the avg matriculant for most, if not all, DO schools. So it's pretty much up to you to not fack it up on the personal statement/interview.

Edit: I hope you're not selling yourself short and only applying DO?
"Selling yourself short"!? That is too big of a statement as many are applying to DO are not merely "selling themselves short" but simply because they want a medical education regardless of what two letters come after your name. It's just not right to say that those that are only applying to DO are selling themselves short. A word of advice: moving forwards in the application cycle with such negativity is the last thing you need.

"Selling yourself short"!? That is too big of a statement as many are applying to DO are not merely "selling themselves short" but simply because they want a medical education regardless of what two letters come after your name. It's just not right to say that those that are only applying to DO are selling themselves short. A word of advice: moving forwards in the application cycle with such negativity is the last thing you need.
Relax. For the reason I bolded above. If he/she wants a medical education regardless of initials, then he/she should apply broadly and not limit his scope to just DO schools. Yikes!

I wasn't being negative. Encouraging an applicant to strive for more and apply broadly and commend him on good stats is very positive and optimistic.

Relax. For the reason I bolded above. If he/she wants a medical education regardless of initials, then he/she should apply broadly and not limit his scope to just DO schools. Yikes!

I wasn't being negative. Encouraging an applicant to strive for more and apply broadly and commend him on good stats is very positive and optimistic.

Now that's wiser and smarter choice of words. There we go :thumbup:

Ps. im relaxed lol, as I tend to maintain positivity throughout the application cycle.

Phew, thanks for the validation that my word choice is evolving into more palatable prose due to you calling me on it. You're a great teacher.

Secondary received, see two posts down; it actually changed slightly from last year.

Last edited:
Mind posting the prompts? /too lazy to search ;)
Please limit each of your answers in this section to 1650 characters or less.

While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
web_required_cascade.png

What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you?
web_required_cascade.png

I read in the previous year's threads that the school screens heavily before sending out secondaries. Anyone know how true that is for this year?

I read in the previous year's threads that the school screens heavily before sending out secondaries. Anyone know how true that is for this year?

What is the minimum MCAT required to pass the screening and receive a secondary for this school?

I don't remember for sure, but if you have over a 3.0/23, you'll get one.​

Reactions: 1 users
Please limit each of your answers in this section to 1650 characters or less.

While shadowing an osteopathic physician, what did the experience do to solidify your desire/ambition to become an osteopathic physician?
web_required_cascade.png

What was your most memorable community service activity and how did it impact you?
web_required_cascade.png

If we have yet to shadow a DO, it'd probably be best that we wait until that happens before we turn in the secondary huh?

Members don't see this ad :)
If we have yet to shadow a DO, it'd probably be best that we wait until that happens before we turn in the secondary huh?
Not sure...
From Pomona website:
Applications not completed within ten days will result in delayed processing.

I for one have found it almost impossible to get a D.O. to shadow. I am even part of a D.O. Mentorship website; however, not a single D.O. has responded to any of my messages. I have seen a D.O. complete a few things while I was volunteering, so I will probably talk about this.

i got a secondary email, but i dont have a login ID or pin.
any idea where to find this?

i got a secondary email, but i dont have a login ID or pin.
any idea where to find this?
you have to create one if its your first time

Good luck everybody, seems like in 3 weeks the most we should find out about the first iis

If we do not have the physician's phone number are you guys just not including it or saying Do not have phone number

Also... Should I list my tutoring under teaching experience?

Last edited:
The prompts/applications are the same for both Pomona and Lebanon campuses right? Since they're both through Western University.

Does anyone know if they send out secondaries in batches?

The prompts/applications are the same for both Pomona and Lebanon campuses right? Since they're both through Western University.

From the secondary instructions:

COMP- Pomona Secondary Application
You have applied to the COMP Pomona, CA campus. If you applied to both campuses, you should submit a secondary
application to the Lebanon, OR campus when requested to do so. We will complete your application to both campuses
and your application will receive and independent evaluation by both campuses.

For the most memorable community service question, is anyone else using a volunteering experience? I don't have much community service (meaningful stuff, that is) outside of volunteering in a hospital.

For the most memorable community service question, is anyone else using a volunteering experience? I don't have much community service (meaningful stuff, that is) outside of volunteering in a hospital.

I used my volunteering in the ER. I am expecting many people will use a similar experience.

Submitting tonight after work or tomorrow! Excited to hear back. Here's to II's for us all!

Submitting tonight after work or tomorrow! Excited to hear back. Here's to II's for us all!
Hoping to get mine in after work too! Lucky enough to have a job where I can work on my essays periodically. Best of luck! I just really want to get an interview to see how beautiful this place is.

Hoping to get mine in after work too! Lucky enough to have a job where I can work on my essays periodically. Best of luck! I just really want to get an interview to see how beautiful this place is.
It's a nice campus. I got accepted there for a master program in the past but did not attend it eventually. I was also there for their Preview Day in March and the DO school and students are really nice. So really hope to get secondary and interview here.

Good luck to everyone applying here

Phew, thanks for the validation that my word choice is evolving into more palatable prose due to you calling me on it. You're a great teacher.
You're very welcome :)

Does anyone know or have an idea from previous years when ii's starts for Western- Pomona?

Should we only send in letters of recommendation AFTER we get a secondary invitation or can we send them in beforehand?

Quick question: Does volunteering as a teacher assistant for first graders count as teaching experience? Or are they exclusively looking for TA work on the college level
Yes, counts as teaching experience.

Submitting my secondary today as well. Hoping to get some love; Pomona is in my top 2. :)

Just if it weren't so pricey....
My self-justification for the price tag was if I'm going to be sitting on a mountain of debt after school, saving 5-10k/year is only a drop in the bucket. Unless you're looking at LECOMs and I'm sure some others in that range. Then you're talking some serious savings. Ultimately I chose here to stay out West.

Hey all I got the secondary on friday. I had a question one of you current students might be able to answer. I applied to both campuses is it a separate secondary and fee? I am trying to maximize my bang for the buck.

Is not having any teaching or research experience generally a dealbreaker?

The secondary application has a page for parents, and the first questions is parent or guardian? Does that mean they want to know whether I am a parent, so I just reply saying NO?
And for the required information below, I give my own parent's information?

The secondary application has a page for parents, and the first questions is parent or guardian? Does that mean they want to know whether I am a parent, so I just reply saying NO?
And for the required information below, I give my own parent's information?
They're just asking is the following information for your parents or for your guardian.