WesternU c/o 2027 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you mind sharing your stats from last cycle?
Last cycle I believe my stats looked something like this
GPA: ~3.1. I did have to retake orgo 1 and biochemistry
~5000+ hours working with animals in a non medical setting (kennels, dog sitting, stable hand, volunteering, fostering, etc)
~3300+ hours working in small animal medicine
~ 100+ hours shadowing an equine vet
No research experience; I am 3 years post grad now and I did not become too familiar with many professors unfortunately.

This cycle I have more grades completed for my Master's as well as a new position working at an emergency hospital that also sees exotics and rehabilitates wildlife, so i'm hoping that helps me out a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Last cycle I believe my stats looked something like this
GPA: ~3.1. I did have to retake orgo 1 and biochemistry
~5000+ hours working with animals in a non medical setting (kennels, dog sitting, stable hand, volunteering, fostering, etc)
~3300+ hours working in small animal medicine
~ 100+ hours shadowing an equine vet
No research experience; I am 3 years post grad now and I did not become too familiar with many professors unfortunately.

This cycle I have more grades completed for my Master's as well as a new position working at an emergency hospital that also sees exotics and rehabilitates wildlife, so i'm hoping that helps me out a lot!
I had similar GPA last year before I finished my master's as well! So here's to hoping the master's and extra experience helps!! 🤞

Does anyone know how long they will be extending interviews for?? Like how long should I wait until i know that I likely got rejected???

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how long they will be extending interviews for?? Like how long should I wait until i know that I likely got rejected???
From what I know, rejections are not given immediately. They send out rejections at the same time as acceptances and waitlists. Last year, they gave applicants a status on their admission in March. Interviews are generally conducted into January/February.

Hello, I am very disheartened and looking for some advice. My VMCAS did not upload one of my pre reqs, which Western emailed me about a week ago. I have replied to the email twice with the correct adjustment and have emailed, called, and left voicemails for the advisors listed. Does anyone have any advice what I can do to get in contact with them? Appointments aren't available until November...

Hello, I am very disheartened and looking for some advice. My VMCAS did not upload one of my pre reqs, which Western emailed me about a week ago. I have replied to the email twice with the correct adjustment and have emailed, called, and left voicemails for the advisors listed. Does anyone have any advice what I can do to get in contact with them? Appointments aren't available until November...
Have you tried calling the advising office directly? (909) 469 – 5335
They answered that line for me and were able to connect me with someone who could help.

• Care
I got an email stating that my application was sent to admissions committee for review on October 10, I'm getting nervous. The silence is so loud o_O

• Care
Anybody have any advice for interviews😆😅 getting fairly nervous. Scheduled for the week after next!

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Anybody have any advice for interviews😆😅 getting fairly nervous. Scheduled for the week after next!
That's so exciting !! :) Definitely utilize the interview resources on this website, they have previous questions from WesternU interviews that can help you gauge what could be asked. Practice answering questions out loud, and see if you could have a mock interview with either a friend or professor/advisor. You got this!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Also adding on to the advice you already got, but if you applied to any other schools, you might want to check in with them as well if you haven't yet!

That's so exciting !! :) Definitely utilize the interview resources on this website, they have previous questions from WesternU interviews that can help you gauge what could be asked. Practice answering questions out loud, and see if you could have a mock interview with either a friend or professor/advisor. You got this!
^^^THIS, I interviewed last year and was placed on the waitlist, but the questions on SDN helped so much!

• Care
Did anyone’s admission counselor change on their portal??

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!!! Do you know of any threads with previous situational questions? I saw this year it said it will be 2 scenario-type ones. Are they like MMI?

Thank you!!! Do you know of any threads with previous situational questions? I saw this year it said it will be 2 scenario-type ones. Are they like MMI?
Hey! Just wondering where you read/ saw this??

I got an email saying I didn’t meet my physiology requirement which is so annoying because I emailed them a few times over the summer asking if bacterial physiology would be sufficient and they never got back to me. Feel like I wasted my money.

I got an email saying I didn’t meet my physiology requirement which is so annoying because I emailed them a few times over the summer asking if bacterial physiology would be sufficient and they never got back to me. Feel like I wasted my money.
They sent me the same kind of email about one of my chemistry classes. I was trying to contact them all summer asking if the course I took was sufficient. They even called me a few days ago about it and I told them the situation and she said it would be noted in my app, but I'm still getting emails that say it's insufficient....

They sent me the same kind of email about one of my chemistry classes. I was trying to contact them all summer asking if the course I took was sufficient. They even called me a few days ago about it and I told them the situation and she said it would be noted in my app, but I'm still getting emails that say it's insufficient....
I got in contact with someone via phone call but now they’re not replying to me so I’m not sure where I stand with this program unfortunately.

This might be a bit late? But the school does have a pre-req data base , I used it when I applied a few years ago (current 2nd year). I always try to pop on SDN and help out as much as I can!

As far as communication goes, it's honestly always been really hit or miss. You just have to be persistent in calling and messaging everyone under the sun.

This might be a bit late? But the school does have a pre-req data base , I used it when I applied a few years ago (current 2nd year). I always try to pop on SDN and help out as much as I can!

As far as communication goes, it's honestly always been really hit or miss. You just have to be persistent in calling and messaging everyone under the sun.
I agree on both counts. I was autorejected my first time I applied without using the prereq database. The second time around I contacted them (early summer) and had my prereqs added to the data base and received an interview invite.

Getting in contact with them was a nightmare both cycles.

I agree on both counts. I was autorejected my first time I applied without using the prereq database. The second time around I contacted them (early summer) and had my prereqs added to the data base and received an interview invite.

Getting in contact with them was a nightmare both cycles.
I used the database and that’s why I emailed them in the summer asking if the physiology class I took would suffice. They never got back to me so I applied because the other schools I applied to accepted the course. I’ve been calling every day and leaving messages and also emailed a few times to my advisor.

I just got an interview invite!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I just got an interview invite too!!! :D I jumped up and down at work lol

• Love
I used the database and that’s why I emailed them in the summer asking if the physiology class I took would suffice. They never got back to me so I applied because the other schools I applied to accepted the course. I’ve been calling every day and leaving messages and also emailed a few times to my advisor.
I did the exact same thing, used the database and needed to double check that a course I took would be accepted. Never received a reply after I sent about 20 emails & called 3 times, so I just submitted it and hoped for the best ):

Last edited:
That's definitely rough, and I'm sorry that a lot of you guys had to go through that. With regards to checking on prereqs, I actually had a similar experience and reached out to my admissions counselor. When I didn't receive a reply from him (and I never ended up receiving a reply from him), i reached out to a different counselor (Alberto), who responded to me after a week or so.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
my interview is next week!! has anyone had theirs yet? how is it?

my interview is next week!! has anyone had theirs yet? how is it?
I would say it's fairly conversational and lax. Essentially, they're going to ask you one of those like "what would you do..." or "tell me about a time..." type of questions. You can find some really good example/practice questions on the SDN interview page for Western!

• Love
I hope i’m not jumping the gun on getting a little anxious that I haven’t received an interview invite yet.. it seems early in the game potentially but i also recognize a lot of people have already interviewed or are scheduled to.

• Care
I hope i’m not jumping the gun on getting a little anxious that I haven’t received an interview invite yet.. it seems early in the game potentially but i also recognize a lot of people have already interviewed or are scheduled to.
Some people weren’t invited to interview until March last year. Totally understand the anxiety though. My best advice is to disconnect and try not to compare to other applicants; act as if you are not accepted until you receive confirmation otherwise. Work on improving your application and non vetmed stuff to take your mind off the application cycle 💗

• Love
Some people weren’t invited to interview until March last year. Totally understand the anxiety though. My best advice is to disconnect and try not to compare to other applicants; act as if you are not accepted until you receive confirmation otherwise. Work on improving your application and non vetmed stuff to take your mind off the application cycle

thank you 🥹 i appreciate the kindness

It's been 3 weeks since I submitted the syllabus for missed course but their status are still not updated nor did I hear anything back from them. This is so frustrating

It's been 3 weeks since I submitted the syllabus for missed course but their status are still not updated nor did I hear anything back from them. This is so frustrating
Havent heard a single word as well since i submitted my app

Yeah they're not super communicative with applicants, but that may also be because of staffing issues. I definitely feel for them if they're understaffed, but not hearing anything at all does suck. :(

Okay wow, the moment I posted my previous message I got an email saying I got an interview invite :eek:

• Care
OOS first time applicant! Just got an interview invite!

• Love
  • Care
OOS as well, just got my interview invite!

My status still hasn't been updated since they called me for clarification on one of my courses and I gave them the necessary info...I still get emails that my application is incomplete because of that course. Super frustrated as well

• Care
I got an interview :') I checked my phone at the end of class and audibly gasped when I saw the email!!

Instate 2nd time applicant, just got my interview invite! ❤️

Reactions: 4 users
Did anybody check their portal and see the application for a scholarship?

Does it matter if a lot of our stuff is pending, like courses? Will they reach out to you for an interview or does everything need to be complete?

Does it matter if a lot of our stuff is pending, like courses? Will they reach out to you for an interview or does everything need to be complete?
My understanding is no, you don’t have to have it all completed.

If my memory serves correct, they usually keep everything as pending until you get an acceptance and they verify everything.