WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think another thing to consider when talking about applying too many times is the tuition hikes. The price of attending vet school is increasing every year, and it seems to be getting to the point where if vet school wasn't a financially sound decision to begin with, that's only becoming more true with time. When I was looking for the statistic for PBC last night I remember reading in 1999, average loan burden was 95% of the average starting salary. In 2011 it was nearly 200% of it. God knows what it looks like now.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Could any current/former students comment on the curriculum? Learning/teaching styles? Any PBL? How grading works? Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ask specifics and I'll do my best. It's hard to pick out specifics because I'm inundated lol

Thanks!!

How are classes broken up? As in - is there one giant class worth many credits and one grade, or are all classes/subjects graded separately? What kind of teaching styles were used? (problem-based learning/traditional lectures/both?) I can't think of any other specific questions, but if there's something in particular that you really enjoyed or really hated, anything would be helpful!

When choosing applicants, are they more numbers based? As in GPA/GRE?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

According to their accepted class statistics, it doesn't seem like it. But I could be wrong. Like, obviously they care about those aspects of the application, but it doesn't seem they're at the level of UC Davis or Cornell in terms of caring about numbers.

Thanks!!

How are classes broken up? As in - is there one giant class worth many credits and one grade, or are all classes/subjects graded separately? What kind of teaching styles were used? (problem-based learning/traditional lectures/both?) I can't think of any other specific questions, but if there's something in particular that you really enjoyed or really hated, anything would be helpful!
In regards to credits, the classes are much like undergrad in that the amount of time spent in the classroom is the number of credits the classclass is worth(i.e. 3 hours of lecture = 3 credits). Remember though that the amount of time spent out of the classroom is GREATLY increased from undergrad. Typically you're in about 18-24 credits a semester iirc, but there was at least one semester that was closer to 30. (And honestly some of the classes SHOULD be worth more and that's according to the profs) And each class is graded on it's own (just thinking about everything lumped together and graded together gives me heart palpitations). TECHNICALLY we are pass/fail but it's based on a grade out of 100. Most classes fall in the 75-80% as the cut off for a passing grade. However, we are ranked because scholarships, internships etc sometimes need that. It's not posted anywhere though and you have to ask for it specifically. I have no idea what my rank is! Lol. Though I can't be the bottom 10% because they get emails every semester that the school is worried about them and that they're not on par to pass navle yadda yadda yadda and I haven't gotten one lol.
First year is almost exclusively lecture based, second and third year are mixed lector and PBL and 4th year is clinical.
Umm. Things I hated? The dissemination of informationcould be waaayyyyyyyy better.
Loved? The feeling of community they foster.

According to their accepted class statistics, it doesn't seem like it. But I could be wrong. Like, obviously they care about those aspects of the application, but it doesn't seem they're at the level of UC Davis or Cornell in terms of caring about numbers.
Yeah more than a lot of other schools stats don't matter AS much. Don't get me wrong, that's still the first thing they look at, but they're pretty interested in the student as a whole, so stellar experiences, LoR, PS, etc can round you out if you don't have a 4.0

Reactions: 1 users
The dissemination of informationcould be waaayyyyyyyy better.

Do you think you could elaborate on that a little? Maybe a specific example, whenever you get the chance? Thanks again :)

Hey everyone! I am debating on whether or not to apply here. I see they don't accept many OOS students (about 1.58% according to their OOS c/0 2020 admitted stats).

Hey everyone! I am debating on whether or not to apply here. I see they don't accept many OOS students (about 1.58% according to their OOS c/0 2020 admitted stats).

True, but the Palouse region is awesome and the Pacific Northwest is awesome, and you KNOW you want to live here. So you should apply ;)

True, but the Palouse region is awesome and the Pacific Northwest is awesome, and you KNOW you want to live here. So you should apply ;)

I live in CA, so I love the west coast :) I've never been to WA at all however! What is Pullman like? Is it a city vibe? Or is it more secluded with farmland around? I have no idea since I am not familiar with the area at all.

I live in CA, so I love the west coast :) I've never been to WA at all however! What is Pullman like? Is it a city vibe? Or is it more secluded with farmland around? I have no idea since I am not familiar with the area at all.
Neither. It's a tiny college town. And I miss the Sierras lol

Do you think you could elaborate on that a little? Maybe a specific example, whenever you get the chance? Thanks again :)
Oh it's mostly feeling lost about some things. Surgery block junior year felt like a **** show, but I was on the focus group to try to improve that. Right now I'm a little cranky because, while they do have an "orientation" for 4th year it was like "ok and go!"

Luckily I'm a ****ing genius and figured everything out. (Kidding! I just ask a lot of questions)

Members don't see this ad :)

Pullman =/= the rest of Washington. Just as Moscow (right next door, ~20 ish minutes away) is nothing like the rest of Idaho. We're this weird little place that you will by turn hate and love. Your personality will determine which emotion predominates. ;)

Pullman =/= the rest of Washington. Just as Moscow (right next door, ~20 ish minutes away) is nothing like the rest of Idaho. We're this weird little place that you will by turn hate and love. Your personality will determine which emotion predominates. ;)

Hmm well I have lived in cities my entire life. Never in a small town or anything else. Since Seattle is so far, is there a city closer at least?

Hmm well I have lived in cities my entire life. Never in a small town or anything else. Since Seattle is so far, is there a city closer at least?

Lewiston/Clarkston is 30-40 minutes south. They're twin cities along the river, and they have a little more shopping than we do (and a Costco!) but our mall is better. Coeur d'Alene (ID) and Spokane (WA) are to the north, and they're not too far (like, a 2 hour drive? 2.5? it's been a while, I don't remember exactly how long it takes). They can help get you a big-city fix when you need one, but it's just a band aide. They aren't really 'big' cities.

Boise is my most favoritest place and it's 300 miles south of Moscow (5-6 hour drive). Seattle is about the same distance, I think. So not a drive you want to make often, but close enough to be within reason for a long weekend or summer adventure.

Lol you won't have time for that

The thought of having 80%, or even 75%, be the cut-off for passing is pretty terrifying. I've had a couple of science courses where I frickin' REJOICED to get a 70% on my exam.

The thought of having 80%, or even 75%, be the cut-off for passing is pretty terrifying. I've had a couple of science courses where I frickin' REJOICED to get a 70% on my exam.
You CAN marginal pass in a class. So if the pass cutoff is 75 you can get 71-74.9 (or thereabouts) and it's still a "pass". But you only have 5 credits to do that with before it triggers the academic committee to evaluate you and see if they think are fit to continue. I haven't used any of mine yet, so if I marginal a rotation I'm ok lol

Oh, I don't go even go to CDA or Spokane once a year.

I love being able to escape down the hill to Lewiston, though. It's warmer down there and they used to be the only place that had a Panda Express (until we got ours in Moscow, and apparently WSU had one all along :yeahright:)

Oh, I don't go even go to CDA or Spokane once a year.

I love being able to escape down the hill to Lewiston, though. It's warmer down there and they used to be the only place that had a Panda Express (until we got ours in Moscow, and apparently WSU had one all along :yeahright:)
It stinks though. And even the 45 min to get there can be a bit of a hassle sometimes

It stinks though. And even the 45 min to get there can be a bit of a hassle sometimes

I make my brother drive when we go because I hate Lewiston's roads. Especially that first intersection. Someone was drunk when they were designing that place, I swear.

I was there Wednesday for my dentist appointment and it didn't stink at all! Sometimes there are good days, ya know. But other days . . . yeah. It can be gross.

But there's a RIVER. The only thing we have in Moscow is the little creek that goes through the waste treatment plant.

I make my brother drive when we go because I hate Lewiston's roads. Especially that first intersection. Someone was drunk when they were designing that place, I swear.

I was there Wednesday for my dentist appointment and it didn't stink at all! Sometimes there are good days, ya know. But other days . . . yeah. It can be gross.
I have a VERY sensitive nose (yes yes I'm going to be a vet and poop makes me gag). You can laugh at me in diagnostics

I have a VERY sensitive nose (yes yes I'm going to be a vet and poop makes me gag). You can laugh at me in diagnostics
We had a horse tract spread across the floor to find a perforation. It was so nasty smelling, and I was strategically standing in one spot that seemed to have less stink than the rest of the room. The pathologist commented that I must have a strong stomach and I was like :laugh:

Does anyone know if residency paperwork is carried over year to year? Do we have to submit all of the paperwork over again, or just update what we submitted last year?

Does anyone know what the code is to send AP scores? I have to send them my BIO ones and I can't seem to find their code

Does anyone know what the code is to send AP scores? I have to send them my BIO ones and I can't seem to find their code

Did they say they needed them now? I had to send my AP Calc scores, but they didn't need them till after I was accepted. Just having them on my transcripts counted for application purposes. They also didn't need an official report from College Board, just a copy of my report. My scores had been archived though so I ended up having them sent anyway from them cause I couldn't find my original score report. I'd check with them! If you can still access your scores online (I believe it's after four years they're archived), they may accept the score report there :)

If you do have to send them, I didn't use an AP code, just the CVM admission office address as the recipient. Check with them ASAP though. If you do need to send the report now and your scores are archived, it took nearly 6 weeks for them to get it after I'd faxed in the request form to College Board.

This is only if we're using AP scores for prereqs, right? I have some credit on my transcript from AP exams and I'm not using them for prereqs. So I shouldn't have to send anything, right? There's nothing I can find on their website.

This is only if we're using AP scores for prereqs, right? I have some credit on my transcript from AP exams and I'm not using them for prereqs. So I shouldn't have to send anything, right? There's nothing I can find on their website.

You shouldn't have to send them if you're not using them as a prereq, but they should show up on your official transcript. It never hurts to double check with the school though! I used my AP Stats class as a prereq and I just needed to verify with WSU I scored a 3 or above.

Does WSU assign student numbers to all applicants for organization or something? I've never been a student at WSU, but I found out this week that they have me in their system with a student account and info that I've never given them except through my application last year. It was weird.

For the supplemental, is everyone using the 300 words allotted? Or are shorter responses okay?

Are there any current students/grads who might be willing to take a look at what I write for these questions? There are two, they are along the lines of "What do we offer you?" and "What do you offer our program?"

Thanks!!

For the supplemental, is everyone using the 300 words allotted? Or are shorter responses okay?

Are there any current students/grads who might be willing to take a look at what I write for these questions? There are two, they are along the lines of "What do we offer you?" and "What do you offer our program?"

Thanks!!

Mine were shorter. Like 200ish words? l could look them over if you'd like!

Does WSU assign student numbers to all applicants for organization or something? I've never been a student at WSU, but I found out this week that they have me in their system with a student account and info that I've never given them except through my application last year. It was weird.

That's so weird! I wonder if they do.

Thanks!!

For me I went to the limit for one but around 150 to 200 for the other.

On their website where they have important dates, do they usually send out emails about interviews in December? I'm OOS and saw they did OOS interviews in January (so I would assume you would hear in December to get a plane in order just in case).

On their website where they have important dates, do they usually send out emails about interviews in December? I'm OOS and saw they did OOS interviews in January (so I would assume you would hear in December to get a plane in order just in case).
Sometimes you get about 2 weeks to get to your interview bee tee dubs

Lol yes. That unfortunately does not factor into it.

Lame! That's a little ridiculous. But it's worth the money of getting a plane ticket at the last minute (of course the worst time to buy a ticket- maybe they have a partnership with airlines (joke) LOL) if you get an interview!

Lame! That's a little ridiculous. But it's worth the money of getting a plane ticket at the last minute (of course the worst time to buy a ticket- maybe they have a partnership with airlines (joke) LOL) if you get an interview!
They're not the only school either. A lot of mine I had 2 weeks to get there

Hey guys! I'm considering WSU when it comes time for me to apply to schools, but I don't actually know anything about it.... I just like the idea of living in Washington haha. Can anyone out there tell me what the school, city, or even just the state is like? I live in Georgia right now haha

I am student teaching now, and if I get an interview, I technically can't miss any days of student teaching because then I can't graduate. What would I do if I was offered one?

I am student teaching now, and if I get an interview, I technically can't miss any days of student teaching because then I can't graduate. What would I do if I was offered one?

Unless you're a WICHE state and get offered an early acceptance, you have to interview. I think last year someone posted needing to change dates, and the school only would if someone else could switch with them because all the slots were already filled.

Are you IS or OOS? For IS last year they sent out invites almost three months before (and I want to say one for OOS?), so hopefully that would be enough time to arrange a day off for you. Id talk to your program now to make sure it could be arranged. I hope they'd be understanding for a grad school interview!

You should talk to your supervisor/director now and ask if they would allow exceptions for grad school interviews. That way you know in advance if there will be a major problem. Most people have to interview around work, performances, mandatory events, etc.

You should talk to your supervisor/director now and ask if they would allow exceptions for grad school interviews. That way you know in advance if there will be a major problem. Most people have to interview around work, performances, mandatory events, etc.

I'm OOS. I'll ask the school in case I get one. Katashark, this is for my teaching license, and I am required to have 14 full weeks to get my license (no full weeks, no license I've worked 4 years for). I'm sure I'm not the first teaching person to go through vet school and the schools will figure it out! hahah.