WSU (Washington State) C/O 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm OOS. I'll ask the school in case I get one. Katashark, this is for my teaching license, and I am required to have 14 full weeks to get my license (no full weeks, no license I've worked 4 years for). I'm sure I'm not the first teaching person to go through vet school and the schools will figure it out! hahah.

You're already student teaching now, right? Interviews for OOS will be late Jan/early Feb right now according to the dates online. You should be done by then if it's 14 weeks straight. Definitely talk to your program to see what can be arranged now though! Good luck :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You're already student teaching now, right? Interviews for OOS will be late Jan/early Feb right now according to the dates online. You should be done by then if it's 14 weeks straight. Definitely talk to your program to see what can be arranged now though! Good luck :)

Oh okay!! I didn't see that they were in January! For some reason I thought it was december/jan. I must have gotten confused with an earlier reply of having to go 2 weeks from when you receive an email. Just now I'm thinking of everything revolving around teaching until I'm done! lol!

If I am in tier 1, how likely is it that I'll get an Interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Fairly likely.

Would you say that's true for OOS too? It seems like an awful lot of applicants (most, even?) will be tier 1 and I don't know how many they interview.

Would you say that's true for OOS too? It seems like an awful lot of applicants (most, even?) will be tier 1 and I don't know how many they interview.

Yes I'm OOS as well so not sure

OOS is the most competitive (of course). I don't know what percent they interview, but last year they offered acceptances to 5.4% of those who applied. I know we had people posting on the thread who were Tier 1 in two or more categories and they weren't even offered an interview.

They have 3 different tiers based upon GPA and/or GRE. My GPA is higher than a 3.5 so I'm in tier 1. Strangely my VMCAS Overall and science GPA were very similar. A 3.76 and 3.75 respectively

I'm sad because I thought my GRE retake would be my chance to get into tier 1, but I averaged everything and it came out to 71st percentile...tier 1 starts at 75% and up. Quant :dead:

I averaged everything and it came out to 71st percentile...tier 1 starts at 75% and up. Quant :dead:

My GRE is the same way! I'm sitting at 74.3% overall after my last retake. I feel the 'so close and yet so far' pain.

**I misremembered! I'm actually 74.7%. That makes a difference in my mind somehow. :laugh:

My GRE is the same way! I'm sitting at 74.3% overall after my last retake. I feel the 'so close and yet so far' pain.

**I misremembered! I'm actually 74.7%. That makes a difference in my mind somehow. :laugh:
Maybe if you're lucky they'll round? I didn't take that into account when I averaged mine, not that it matters since it'd still be no more than 72 anyway if it were able to round up :p

They have 3 different tiers based upon GPA and/or GRE. My GPA is higher than a 3.5 so I'm in tier 1. Strangely my VMCAS Overall and science GPA were very similar. A 3.76 and 3.75 respectively

So I think I read on their site that they take math into consideration when calculating science GPA (this could be old or revised) but VMCAS doesn't, so should I be looking at math and science or just science? Because my science GPA is AWESOME but my math GPA is awful because I took graduate level classes when I was not ready for them.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks! Where does it tell you what tier you are in? If you are in tier one, are you more likely to get an interview?

I'm sad because I thought my GRE retake would be my chance to get into tier 1, but I averaged everything and it came out to 71st percentile...tier 1 starts at 75% and up. Quant :dead:

Where does it say the tiers on their website? If the rest of our app stands out but our GRE is definitely much lower than 75%, is there any chance we could be put into it?

I found it on their page somehow and said that most tier one applicants get interviews.

Haha I get up to exercise early before work and class!

Thanks for this! It looks like I am in tier 1 then! According to this though, my friend had 2.5/3 in tier one and did not receive an interview... Obviously it depends on the person, but I think their app was strong and diverse.
Were they OOS? That pool is crazy competitive.

Yes they were OOS, as am I. I know about less than 5% of OOS'ers will actually be accepted..
You NEVER know what each year is going to look like. I'm serious. Trust me, I've been there, analyzing myself. But each year the makeup of the applicant pool is different, and what each school is looking for for the makeup of that year's class can vary from year to year. I absolutely know it's easier said that done but try not to think too hard on it right now.

You NEVER know what each year is going to look like. I'm serious. Trust me, I've been there, analyzing myself. But each year the makeup of the applicant pool is different, and what each school is looking for for the makeup of that year's class can vary from year to year. I absolutely know it's easier said that done but try not to think too hard on it right now.

Thanks!

Well I'm still definitely not getting my hopes up with applying to Washington.

I do hope they take more OOS people though for sure!

I just know the one person (OOS) who I know was accepted to WA (or even got an interview) had nearly perfect stats and very high gre..

This is a silly question, but for anyone who hasn't yet submitted the supplemental application--did you receive a reminder email from WSU today?

I haven't gotten one either (which is odd because I must've gotten like 5 from CSU over the course of the summer, 3 within the past few weeks/days, ha)

The supplemental questions are really painful for me for some reason? I've submitted my VMCAS app, so my personal statement is done, and I've submitted whatever other supplementals had essays, but this one is really hard for me?? Is anyone else having issues? Maybe someone would like to brainstorm together?

Probably not? Did you open up an account to submit the supplemental? Did you already submit it?

Have not submitted it yet, amd have not opened it. What I have only received an email had I done that?

Have not submitted it yet, amd have not opened it. What I have only received an email had I done that?

You probably wouldn't have gotten an email if you haven't opened an application account with WSU website yet. That's probably it!

The supplemental questions are really painful for me for some reason? I've submitted my VMCAS app, so my personal statement is done, and I've submitted whatever other supplementals had essays, but this one is really hard for me?? Is anyone else having issues? Maybe someone would like to brainstorm together?

Isn't it about what we can bring to the school and what they can bring for us? I did not go into the essay portion yet. His long is each essay, and is that the majority of the supplemental app or is there a lot else to do or fill out?

I submitted my supplemental application and only got an email about confirming my submission

It's been a while since I've been it, but I remember entering my prerequisites and entering other demographic info. Didn't take very long. There are two short essay questions (300 words or less each) - what does their program offer you, and what do you offer their program. They're easy enough, I guess I just have writer's block (for the past month?)..lol

It's been a while since I've been it, but I remember entering my prerequisites and entering other demographic info. Didn't take very long. There are two short essay questions (300 words or less each) - what does their program offer you, and what do you offer their program. They're easy enough, I guess I just have writer's block (for the past month?)..lol

Ok great thanks so much! I know how you feel. Thing three science classes right now and finishing all of the essays is so much work!!!!

Has everyone submitted the supplemental? Just to enter the 2 short essays and done.

I just submitted mine! Relieved to finally be done with everything. Good luck everyone :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And I'm over here, like, I didn't give a second thought to those essays, I just posted some gibberish that I thought sounded good at 11 pm . . . :laugh:

Reactions: 2 users
I was on campus for work yesterday and the trees and lawns are so pretty and I was daydreaming about being a student next fall instead of a timeslip, and it made me so happy. My moods lately are all over the place. Early-life crisis one day, happy day dreams the next. I need some stability. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 3 users
I did the first short-essay yesterday, just need to do the second what-do-you-offer one before submitting. That one's a little harder :p Finishing it tonight.

Reactions: 3 users
Finally submitted the supplemental. Wasn't too bad once I got going. Definitely happy I was able to discuss an alumna I had the chance to work with.

Last night I managed to convince myself that today was the due date. I was so sure that today was the 22nd. So I got it done, then realized it wasn't due til tomorrow. :hungover:

Reactions: 2 users
Just submitted the supplemental!!! Does anyone know approx when interview notices will be delivered?

Washington and Idaho went out 1st week of November last year. WAMI was around then, too. OOS went out a little later.