Yale vs. Mount Sinai vs. NYU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yale, Mount Sinai, or NYU?

• Yale

• Mount Sinai

• NYU

Results are only viewable after voting.

aspiringmd2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

This is my first post on SDN. I'm hoping to receive some advice on my medical school decision. I have been fortunate enough to have received admission to Yale, Mount Sinai, and NYU this cycle. Here is some of my background, as well as my pros/cons. I would appreciate hearing some helpful opinions from others. Please let me know what you think! P.S All schools are approximately the same cost.

Background:
I attended undergrad in New York City. I am very acclimated to the big city life, but I also could see myself living in a smaller city that meets my needs. I am interested in becoming a dermatologist, so I know that I will need to perform well in medical school. I am interested in matching in residency in NYC (preferably) or in the tri-state area (NY/NJ/CT). I am invested in serving underserved populations, and I am looking for a school with a diverse patient population and the opportunity to give back and volunteer.

Yale-
Pros: Great vibe on interview day, already did a summer program there so I have some connections/familiarity with the campus, no AOA, no shelf exams, 1.5 year pre-clinical curriculum

Cons: I'm not sure how I will handle the transition from NYC to New Haven. Less access to other medical school students

Mount Sinai-
Pros: Faculty seem very invested in their students, and they are also committed to nurturing well-rounded students
Cons: Slightly less national recognition?, 2 year pre-clinical curriculum

NYU-
Pros: Perfect area, great access to research, great access to other graduate schools
Cons: Expensive, Larger class size

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah this one's pretty obvious. Go to Yale.

Reactions: 1 user
I'd say Yale or Sinai, but I don't know Yale's program well enough to vote. I believe with their curriculum being ultra flexible, it's either a bad thing (not structured enough) or a good thing, depending on what kind of person you are. Something to consider.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the feedback, everyone! After attending all re-visits, I am currently debating between NYU and Yale only. While I am slightly leaning toward Yale, the only potential downsides I see are the location and slight lack of comradery among the class due to the more individualized curriculum. Are there any more opinions? I would appreciate any help!

What during re-visit made you decide against Sinai?

What during re-visit made you decide against Sinai?

It was nothing specific about the way they set up their second look. It was very well organized and the students and faculty are great. I just think that the 1.5 year preclinical curriculum, instead of 2 years, is a better fit for me personally.

If you can take advantage of the extraordinary flexibility that Yale provides + don't need to be in NYC, go to Yale. It's not a hard decision. I'd honestly hate to rotate through any NYC hospital as a third year.

If you want to do derm, look at NYU and Yale's match list for derm and get some stats on their avg Step 1 score. You'll also probably need research to do derm. Why am I still typing? Go to Yale buddy.

Yale

Reactions: 1 user